Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swim, bike, run ... it'l be fun!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

3.8 in the pool straight is much harder than 3.8 in OW straight IMO. Its warmer, you have to kick off a wall, the water is 'dead', no wetsuit to help sinking legs plus its just mondaine. I've never felt fresh after a long pool swim even though my heart rate is usually where it should be. In the IM you will be 500m into it before you settle down to a rhythm and there will be loads of feet to drag you along. Wow less than 4 weeks to go, how are you feeling about it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

kingQuez wrote: »
    Hey RQ! W200 is june 12th. I may have bitten off more than I can chew, the only wicklow hill I've ever done is sally gap.... its going to be a day of death :eek:

You're welcome to come join me at the back of the pack :)

By back of the pack do you mean 20 - 25k an hour :pac: Though you now have me very tempted.

Will the Wicklow 200 be your last major training session before the IM or have you a few more long ones planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Hey MCOS, I'm still looking forward to it, I'm sure I'll get the jitters when the taper kicks in but right now I'm confident I'll finish and just trying to figure out what the times should be realistically.

20-25k an hour RQ, I've seen the profile of the hills, I don't think that will be remotely near back of the pack speed!

I can do 10k an hour :cool: Though entries are closed. Damn now I can't cycle (walk my bike) up those hills.

10kmph still sounds sorta fast, fancy pushing me+my bike up a couple of the hills? would be great hill reps for ya ;)

• Advertisement

10kmph still sounds sorta fast, fancy pushing me+my bike up a couple of the hills? would be great hill reps for ya ;)

Do I need an entry to do that? That definitely sounds more like my kind of workout. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hey RQ i have a spare entry if you want it maybe the 100km would be a sensible option.

Hey RQ i have a spare entry if you want it maybe the 100km would be a sensible option.

You booked two for yourself? ;) last I saw you were still in for it...

You booked two for yourself? ;) last I saw you were still in for it...

No i am still in but someone i know dropped out and it would be a shame to see the entry going to waste. What time are you heading out at as myself and Izoard are thinking of starting a convoy of tri boardsies:p

Thanks but after being cajoled into a trip to Cork at the weekend I'm going to be working all this weekend now. I do know someone who would like an entry though if there is one on offer.

• Advertisement

Hey jackyback, didn't spot your post until now - howd you guys get on?

Wicklow 200 report is short n sweet:
    Epic brick session done, thats all my mental training sorted. Miserable day. If its raining in austria im not doing it.

TAPER TIME :D (:eek: ?)

Congrats. I'd still be out there now if I'd done it. Nice day for it too. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the taper, if there's anything enjoyable about a taper.

Nice day for it too. :rolleyes:

I spent a solid four hours telling myself I was enjoying a nice flat short bikeride in the sunshine in wicklow. My ability to delude myself is actually quite an asset at times ;)

I do know someone who would like an entry though if there is one on offer.

Balls only seen this now the entry went to waste, probably just as well considering the day.
    Hey jackyback, didn't spot your post until now - howd you guys get on?

Wicklow 200 report is short n sweet:
    Epic brick session done, thats all my mental training sorted. Miserable day. If its raining in austria im not doing it.

TAPER TIME :D (:eek: ?)

Never hooked up in the end, did you do a brick run off that ye mad bstd:) Whilst i was fresh coming off the bike i was that cold i could not consider a run even though i had planned around 10-12k.
    Austria will be a sinch compared to today, what time you get around in today?

Balls only seen this now the entry went to waste, probably just as well considering the day.

No worries. He did the Rás so I'm not sure the wife would have approved leave again. :pac:

Never hooked up in the end, did you do a brick run off that ye mad bstd:) Whilst i was fresh coming off the bike i was that cold i could not consider a run even though i had planned around 10-12k.
    Austria will be a sinch compared to today, what time you get around in today?

Ah, only did a little 5k run... it helped with warming up before changing back into normal clothes :) I was a little over 9hrs according to the official time, 8hrs moving according to the garmin. If anything im dreading the heat in austria now, almost all training this year has been in cold wet windy conditions... hope that it doesnt all backfire in 18 days (:eek:).

Nice handy 1.5hr spin thismorning after taking yesterday off. Swim tonight is going to involve effort though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Ah, only did a little 5k run... it helped with warming up before changing back into normal clothes :) I was a little over 9hrs according to the official time, 8hrs moving according to the garmin. If anything im dreading the heat in austria now, almost all training this year has been in cold wet windy conditions... hope that it doesnt all backfire in 18 days (:eek:).

Nice handy 1.5hr spin thismorning after taking yesterday off. Swim tonight is going to involve effort though.

8hrs? Great stuff in those conditions!

A tri wet suit would have been perfect on the day....

Izoard wrote: »
    A tri wet suit would have been perfect on the day....

I was thinking a broken alarm clock that morning would have done the trick nicely for me :D

A clip I saw from last years IM. My HR increased a little when I watched it, and my mouth went a little bit dry. I think the fear is going to grow as the taper continues. Need to get used to the idea that this isn't still some abstract goal in a years time.... how time flys.

Long run reduced to 1hr45 this week, but with a bit more intensity than normal. All going grand for the first hour but then it stopped being easy and took a bit of effort. Garmin kept losing reception so god only knows what the pace really was... I suspect much too fast.

• Advertisement

Week one of the taper is done. I didn't make it to the sea for an OW swim this week, and I missed my brick session this weekend (life stuff). I can rationalize everything as fine because all the important training is done now...... so why the hell am I panicing about two missed sessions out of hundreds in the past 6 months?! And why have I suddenly got a sore back and a little bit of a pulled muscle in my groin? Taper madness is only going to get worse. Statements like "I'm doing an ironman on sunday week" scare me.

Ok. On the upside, only 12 days to go. Bring it on!

You could have a decent day for it!

[http://www.15dayweatherforecast.net/country_weather/austria/15

I've spent so much time reading all the IM logs I feel as if I'm doing it myself.

You could have a decent day for it!

[http://www.15dayweatherforecast.net/country_weather/austria/15

I've spent so much time reading all the IM logs I feel as if I'm doing it myself.

Finally, a race with good weather! :D

So reading all the logs eh?.... are you doing background prep for something? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Do all the ironman clips not scare you? That last one makes me scared to even ever think of going long!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The guy at 2:22... if he is cooked after the swim he is ****ed.

Do all the ironman clips not scare you? That last one makes me scared to even ever think of going long!

They used to freak me out and make it look like an amazing challenge. In reality the clips are gathered from the people seriously racing the event and pushing their bodies to the extremes, people that have underprepared for the event, or people that are just plain unlucky. The swim start video is the one that give me butterflys in the tummy, and thats just because it looks insane - which is what you'd expect at the start of a race people have been training for for 6months+, once it settles down a couple of hundred metres in it'l be grand (i hope). Looks no worse than a marathon start :) The bike/run are well behaved :D

Finally, a race with good weather! :D

So reading all the logs eh?.... are you doing background prep for something? ;)

Ummm...just eh, seeing all the sort of training I don't want to do.

I think they make it look amazing. Not that I'd ever do one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I think they make it look amazing. Not that I'd ever do one myself.

Right...at least you will finally become a fully paid up member of the S/C/R challenge.

Terrible brick session on monday, twirled my legs on the turbo with no effort for two hours before going for a surprizingly enjoyable run in the rain. Dont know why I didn't just can the session.

Tuesday saw me in the pool, swimming hard but with a crap attitude. Session was seriously tough and I'd resigned myself to not hitting the targets... and then got in trouble for it. Dont go to the pool if you're not going to do the set and give it your all.

Saw the man with elbows who inflicted pain for an hour at lunchtime today, now the legs are feeling a bit better, turns out lots of stuff had gotten tight in the past 5 months, not sure I expected that to be quite such an experience! TLC? no, tender? perhaps. May have cursed under my breath.

Taking today off. Need to find my mojo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ummm...just eh, seeing all the sort of training I don't want to do.
    Someone's got a Super Secret Ironman Goal :pac:

(I'm also guilty of reading the IM logs, out of morbid curiosity more than anything else)

Advertisement