Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swim, bike, run ... it'l be fun!

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Hey Solobally8, I signed up for an early summer IM, and have a long trail run the month after.. No goals for them other than to finish and have fun. Might pick out a couple of things to give a good effort later in the summer, but I haven't planned that far ahead.

First long spin that tipped over 4hrs was today, up into the hills. No ice which was a nice change. Lots more trips up there from now on. I've a day off scheduled for tomorrow, first one in 5 weeks. 12.5 hours done this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Tried doing my tuesday turbo session in the AM this week, so that I could do a 1.5hr PM swim on the same day. Disaster.. I always find it hard to put in an effort in the morning. Plan was 6x5mins@threshold 2min recoveries, just to make the AM version of the session very achievable.. tried hard, but not satisfied with it. Stress on body also showed. I don't know what it is, but I can do steady effort work in the morning.... but any effort on a turbo trainer or in a swim set and I just don't recover nearly as well as if the session is done later in the day. The swim in the evening was tough work and wednesday was really tired so I ended up just plodded around my long run. Think I need to revert back to an easy/technique AM swim and tough evening turbo session from next week.. need to keep the focus on the bike.

Swopped the weekend sessions to do the brick today.. 4h50 this week (4h30 bike, 20min run) up in the hills again. Need to do a couple of hill reps at some point, climbing is a bit tougher than I remember it on steep sections. Normally wouldn't bother me as I can spin in an easy gear, but suspect the gearing on the TT bike wont be as forgiving. From here on I'll be aiming for every long spin needs to try and be > 100k and hit 1500m climbing, ideally getting up to 2000m soon. Running off the bike was alien, but found my legs at 10mins in.

11h10 logged so far, with a plan of a 1.5-2hr spin on the TT bike tomorrow to wrap up the week. Not quite the recovery week that i should have done due to the bump in volume, but its hard to see how to hit the key sessions on anything less than about 12h a week at this point. Early in the week I thought I'd gauged it badly as I was so tired, but adjusting the wednesday run and a non-stressfull thursday evening/good food etc., got me back on track when fri rolled around.

Really enjoying hitting a few goals I've been building back up to at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

kingQuez wrote: »
    Tried doing my tuesday turbo session in the AM this week, so that I could do a 1.5hr PM swim on the same day. Disaster.. I always find it hard to put in an effort in the morning. Plan was 6x5mins@threshold 2min recoveries, just to make the AM version of the session very achievable.. tried hard, but not satisfied with it. Stress on body also showed. I don't know what it is, but I can do steady effort work in the morning.... but any effort on a turbo trainer or in a swim set and I just don't recover nearly as well as if the session is done later in the day.

I was like this J and didn't think I'd ever revert to working hard in the mornings...but consistently pushing through the slog of hard sessions got me used to it. They were slow, sluggish and really crap at the start. Now I can produce pretty much the same thing in the morning as I would in the evening and still do a good session again that evening. Probably a bit late for you to be trying to get into it now though ;)

Advertisement