Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths forum in science category???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Maybe there's no right or wrong answer to this question. And is it such a huge issue? I'm fairly opinionated and love a good argument. Even I don't see the point in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Davidius wrote: »
    Maths is maths.

No need to complicate things. :pac:

ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 48 timbrophy

Wasn't it the great E.T.Bell who defined Mathematics as "Queen and Servant of Science"?

Economics is a science so if that qualifys, maths certainly does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Sean_K wrote: »
    Interesting logic...

Thomas Edison is most definitely a light-bulb. Without Thomas Edison there would be no light-bulbs.

maths flows through everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

maths flows through everything.

Maths is a human construct applied retrospectively to everything.

Saying maths flows through everything is the same as saying speech flows through everything because everything can be described by speech. That doesn't make me talking science in itself.

/edit: despite what I'm saying, I still think the Science category is the best place for the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 timbrophy

Sean_K wrote: »
    Maths is a human construct applied retrospectively to everything.

This begs the only important question: Do Mathematicians CREATE or DISCOVER new mathematics?

Leopold Kronecker said "God created the Integers, all else is the work of Man".

Godel felt that Mathematics could only exist in the mind of God.

It is not only whether Mathematics should be in a Science or Arts forum but whether Mathematics deals with Truth or Provability.

These are deep matters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Anky2930

As far as my thinking is concerned mathematics and science both have same importance,when there is problem regarding mathematics maths is given more importance and when problem is from science field science has given more importance.
    Definition of Alternate Interior Angles

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

Maybe it should be:
    Arts
    Sciences
    And maths.

Cause tbh, Science needs maths, but does not fall into Arts.

Advertisement