Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grumpy dog Q?.

Options
  • 23-12-2008 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the situ,

my older lad Jericho has been sickly all week, the usual just looking down in the dumbs, eyes are dead and generally looking cold/flu like, if that means anything.

So I kept him in all week, warm and comfy with plenty to eat and drink, although he was off his food.

Yesterday I thought he looked better so took him out for a walk with Ruby.

Now this dog is the softest dog you'll ever meet, but out on the walk yesterday he was aggressive with everyone - dog and human.

I took him home immediately when he made a serious attempt to 'go at a child, of course he didn't get to him thank god but I felt it was serious enough to bring Jericho straight home.

So could him being off form all week have something to do with yesterdays show of aggression?.

Even on the walk back home he was growling and snarling at Ruby, I have a short lead with one of those splitters on it, so they walk side by side.

When he got home he went straight to bed and asleep again.

Any idea's?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

It could just be because hes under the weather, naturally enough when your not feeling the best you get grumpy. He could also be sore somewhere, so maybe a trip to the vet to make sure its nothing serious. His routine has changed a little as well which could have upset him

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

I'd take him to a vet Mairt, just in case he's in pain or something. If he's usually quite a docile dog, there may be an organic reason for his mood. Best to get him checked out to rule it out before examining any other cause.

Karen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I'd say he's just under the weather and just wants to be allowed to rest up, just like you would if you where down with a cold or flu etc..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cheers guys, I was wondering the same thing.

But no one was touching him to cause him further pain, and in fact on seeing dogs in the distance he was ready for a fight!.

But as soon as he was back in the home environment he was back to himself.

I know the answer might sound obvious, but it caused me a lot of concern.

He'll be in for another few days until he's fully recovered at least, then maybe I'll just take him out alone to access his mood.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dogs very rarely just are "under the weather". They usually hide any ailments/pain very well. They may sometimes not be quite as energetic as usual, but for a dog to be openly aggressive and off its food there usually needs to be something quite serious afoot.

Off to the vets with him before everybody closes up for Christmas ..even if it is just "to be sure to be sure"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Poor boy, I agree that a trip to the vet would be best. Especially with another dog in the house, if he has an illness and its contagious you don't want ruby getting to too.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks again guys.

He's in with the Vets now, although I'm in work atm. But I'll hear back shortly.

He's just out of the Vets.

High temp & viral infection, he's slightly chesty too but nothing more sinister, the Vet said giving that he's normally very placid that this could be the cause of him being off form yesterday.

He's on anti-bio's and is to be kept in for a week.

Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

Well knowing how miserable I feel when I have a temperature, it's no surprise he's feeling off form. Hope he feels better soon.

Mairt wrote: »
    He's just out of the Vets.

High temp & viral infection, he's slightly chesty too but nothing more sinister, the Vet said giving that he's normally very placid that this could be the cause of him being off form yesterday.

He's on anti-bio's and is to be kept in for a week.

Phew.

Glad to hear it's nothing too serious ...best to be sure though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

If he was obviously sick, he should have been brought to the vet at the time, rather than leaving it for a week.
    Had he been aggressive with other dogs before he tried to go for the child?
    If being aggressive is so out of character for him, then why didn't you bring him home when he was being aggressive to other dogs, rather than keeping him out until he tried to go for a child? Was he muzzled at the time?

If he was obviously sick, he should have been brought to the vet at the time, rather than leaving it for a week.
    Had he been aggressive with other dogs before he tried to go for the child?
    If being aggressive is so out of character for him, then why didn't you bring him home when he was being aggressive to other dogs, rather than keeping him out until he tried to go for a child? Was he muzzled at the time?

BPE, while I often agree with what you have to say, sometimes you really go overboard.

Firstly anybody who uses this forum regularly should know that mairt is among the more responsible dog owners on the forum. So I'm sure if he thought a trip to the vet was necessary then it would have happened immediately. This is my first winter to own a dog, but I know that my cats get pretty tired and "down in the dumps" this time of the year, every year.

Maybe he didn't bring the dog back for being agressive towards dogs because he had the dog under control? Many dog agressive dogs are walked while under the control of a responsible adult, would you suggest that any agressive dog is not walked?

At the end of the day he obviously had control over the situation - whether or not it was out of character.

As for "was the dog muzzled" - care to explain why a normally placid dog would have a muzzle, why he would bring it and what difference it would make if he had the dog on a short lead and under his control.

Honestly, it's getting harder and harder for people to ask for advice on this forum. There's a constant holier than thou attitude (which I have been guilty of at times) but it's turning the forum into a very unfriendly place.

Firstly anybody who uses this forum regularly should know that mairt is among the more responsible dog owners on the forum. So I'm sure if he thought a trip to the vet was necessary then it would have happened immediately.

Well if the dog had to go on anti biotics and has to be kept in for a week then he obviously did not judge the dog's illness accurately. None of my animals wait more than a day to go to a vet if they are unwell. Having said that mine are all very healthy and between 5 cats alone, I make maybe one non-routine vet trip every two years.
    As for "was the dog muzzled" - care to explain why a normally placid dog would have a muzzle, why he would bring it and what difference it would make if he had the dog on a short lead and under his control.

There's a thing called The Law which states that pitbulls, staffies and their crosses must be muzzled while out in public.

Firstly anybody who uses this forum regularly should know that mairt is among the more responsible dog owners on the forum. So I'm sure if he thought a trip to the vet was necessary then it would have happened immediately. .

Thanks, but honestly don't go worry about it.

BPE, don't pretend you care for the welfare of anyone's dogs. Not when in the 'Pitbull Type Dogs' thread you advocated shooting dogs TWICE..
    The following week, the dog was back, this time we caught it and told the owner that the next time it happened the dog would be shot.

And..
    Yes.
    If a dog got into a field and chased the sheep, the farmer would shoot it.
    This dog had already killed one of my cats, and the owner knew, but still kept letting the dog roam around, so if it came into my garden again, yes I would shoot it.Sorry if that doesn't suit you, maybe I should just let the dog come in and go on a killing spree :rolleyes:

And this was a dog which came into your garden, not onto a farm worrying sheep (not that I agree to shooting a dog in those circumstances either, but thats the law).

Thanks, but honestly don't go worry about it.

BPE, don't pretend you care for the welfare of anyone's dogs. Not when in the 'Pitbull Type Dogs' thread you advocated shooting dogs TWICE..

And..

And this was a dog which came into your garden, not onto a farm worrying sheep (not that I agree to shooting a dog in those circumstances either, but thats the law).

So it's OK to shoot a dog that worries sheep once but it wouldn't be OK to shoot a dog that killed one of my cats and kept returning for more.
    I actually care about my pets and prefer to have them alive and well rather than being ripped apart and yes I will protect them.
    And my cat wasn't waiting a week to be treated at the vets either. :rolleyes:
    Maybe you're biased regarding aggressive dogs...

And
    not that I agree to shooting a dog in those circumstances either, but thats the law).

Ooh we're so respectiful of the law now, but we're not when we're letting our two restricted breed dogs run around on a beach with neither a muzzle or a leash...

If I was the parent of that child and your dog harmed it I would take you to the cleaners and you would not have a legal leg to stand on. And in cases like this, be aware the dog is usually put down.

BPE, originally I was willing to ignore you - I should have.

Merry Christmas.

Ooh we're so respectiful of the law now, but we're not when we're letting our two restricted breed dogs run around on a beach with neither a muzzle or a leash...
    :rolleyes: Oh you're one of those.

Seriously Helena don't rise to it please.

Hope you and yours have a very merry Christmas, I'm dosing myself with Lemsips for it - and that follows the two children off sick from school all last week with flu :(

A few Guinness and hot whiskeys are well in order tonight me thinks :P

When I am speaking about one of the most painful experiences of my life and i have someone taking cheap shots at me about it then I am going to stick up for myself. Especially when said person is defending that brute of a dog and it turns out his own dog tried to go for a child. Said person is also constantly saying how if a dog is aggressive, it's the owner's fault, but when the owner in question is him, he can't take any criticism. :rolleyes:

Well let this thread be a caustioning tail!.

In light of the fact that my dogs photos, plus my youtube clips of my dogs being used to boltster BPE's argument, plus a vailed thread of legal action against me (she'd 'take me to the cleaners' if my dog attacked her, then pointing out my dogs were on Portmarnock beach without leads or mussles leading me to believe she might report my clips to the authorities) I've decided to remove all my youtube clips and photos from the forum, plus I've removed the link to my dogs youtube clip from my signature.

I asked a simple question in this thread and I leave it with a very sour taste in my mouth.

• Advertisement

Well let this thread be a caustioning tail!.

In light of the fact that my dogs photos, plus my youtube clips of my dogs being used to boltster BPE's argument, plus a vailed thread of legal action against me (she'd 'take me to the cleaners' if my dog attacked her, then pointing out my dogs were on Portmarnock beach without leads or mussles leading me to believe she might report my clips to the authorities) I've decided to remove all my youtube clips and photos from the forum, plus I've removed the link to my dogs youtube clip from my signature.

I asked a simple question in this thread and I leave it with a very sour taste in my mouth.

Well you set yourself up for it, telling us all about how you like to ignore the restricted breeds laws because your dogs are "not dangerous". And you're well able to point the blame at dog owners when their dogs are aggressive. Then your own dog goes for a child!
    Like it or not, the law applies to you as much as anyone else.
    You were well able to dish out the criticism and cheap shots at me for saying I would defend my cats against a vicious dog that has already killed one of them. If you can dish out the criticism then you should learn to take it.

You were well able to dish out the criticism and cheap shots at me for saying I would defend my cats against a vicious dog that has already killed one of them. If you can dish out the criticism then you should learn to take it.
    Would it not be better to keep your cat in?

When you initially posted aout shooting the dog, and mairt responded, I actually said I would imagine you said it to scare the owner into keeping the dog away. I didn't imagine for a minute that, as an animal lover, you were serious.

Would it not be better to keep your cat in?

When you initially posted aout shooting the dog, and mairt responded, I actually said I would imagine you said it to scare the owner into keeping the dog away. I didn't imagine for a minute that, as an animal lover, you were serious.

When my cat was attacked, she was in OUR GARDEN wth my parents.
    I have every right to allow my cats into MY garden and it is none of anyone else's business if I choose to do that.
    Why couldn't the dog owner keep his dog in, instead of letting it roam around the neighbourhood?
    But I forgot, he's one of these dog owners that the law doesn't apply to. :rolleyes:
    I don't see why people should have to live in fear with their pets because some people are irresponsible and let their dogs tear around the place attacking other animals.

And the first thing the dog's owner said?
    "I'm a responsible owner".
    Yeah....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Sometimes I really wish that there was a "what a gob****e" button as well as a thanks button.

Mairt did the right thing, bought the dog to the vet, kept him out of potentially dangeerous situations, left him have a bit of quiet time. That is what any dog owner should do. It is hard to tell with dogs whether they are sick or not, they hide it well as a survival trait.

To my knowledge Mairt is not a vet, just a chap who knows his own dogs and when they are not right. Having a cut at him just to give yourself a forum to rant about your cat being attacked (and not even by Mairt's dog) is more than a little bit off. Start another thread or just get over it to the extent that you don't get hysterical just because somebody who either has a dog or likes dogs posts a message.

So on behalf of us doggy folk - sorry about the cat, now can we get back to being a helpful place rather than a vent for spleen?

fenris wrote: »
    Sometimes I really wish that there was a "what a gob****e" button as well as a thanks button.

Me too.
    Mairt did the right thing, bought the dog to the vet

Eventually.
    Having a cut at him just to give yourself a forum to rant about your cat being attacked (and not even by Mairt's dog) is more than a little bit off.

It was him that brought the thread off topic by taking shots about me losing my beloved cat.

Maybe when you lose an animal to a vicious dog you will take these things seriously. Or worse, if your child was attacked by a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Well, Mairt, I take your warning seriously and with thanks and I appreciate that, I liked your harmless, but entertaining utube vids and your photos.

Pig pink elephant, I really though you were a decent, normal, thoughtful person. After reading your last posts, its easy to see that you're are obviously insane.

Merry christmas everyone, and a word of warning... This forum is a bit different now thanks to BPF... be careful what you post!!!

(ps, my cat was killed by a dog... I got over it, I am still friends with the owner of the dog.... **** happens)

lightening wrote: »
    Well, Mairt, I take your warning seriously and with thanks and I appreciate that, I liked your harmless, but entertaining utube vids and your photos.

Pig pink elephant, I really though you were a decent, normal, thoughtful person. After reading your last posts, its easy to see that you're are obviously insane.

Merry christmas everyone, and a word of warning... This forum is a bit different now thanks to BPF... be careful what you post!!!

(ps, my cat was killed by a dog... I got over it, I am still friends with the owner of the dog.... **** happens)

Well some of us actually care about our animals and therefore don't like it when vicious dogs run into our homes and kill them.

I don't know what the fuss is about the videos. Anyone with an ounce of cop-on knows that putting videos of yourself breaking the law on the internet isn't very clever. :rolleyes:

And do you really have to swear? It's not very nice.
    she'd 'take me to the cleaners' if my dog attacked her

What would you expect? Congratulations? Would you be happy if a dog attacked you or your child?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Get off your soapbox, when I was a kid my neighbours cat got in to my shed and killed my hamster, I didn't get my gun and shoot the cat, I got over it.

"one of the most painful experiences of my life" Grow up, move on, get over it, because if loosing your cat is one of the most painful experiences in your life and moves you to act like you are acting now, threatening to sue people, bring the law on to them.... you have a lot to deal with in the future. ;)

lightening wrote: »
    Get off your soapbox, when I was a kid my neighbours cat got in to my shed and killed my hamster, I didn't get my gun and shoot the cat, I got over it.

"one of the most painful experiences of my life" Grow up, move on, get over it, because if loosing your cat is one of the most painful experiences in your life and moves you to act like you are acting now, threatening to sue people, bring the law on to them.... you have a lot to deal with in the future. ;)

The fact that you think someone's dog should be allowed to attack a child without repercussion on the owner is rather worrying.

• Advertisement

The fact that you think someone's dog should be allowed to attack a child without repercussion on the owner is rather worrying.

ahh ffs ...stop twisting things around. Nothing of the sort happened and you well know it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement