Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's hear your Music !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Been a while since I listened to Pictureland... ;) Hello old friend.

Overall this project has come together quite nicely... has it been mastered at all?

I'd def like to hear it all a bit more compressed... just a touch...

I like "Words"... wish the sorta arpy synth was a bit more dominant in the mix... but I understand why it's not.

drums sound nice!

oohh.. I like the more upfront vocal sound on Easy... actually very much like that song... the production seems a bit bigger, which I like...

Actually... it's a bit odd... seems like the older tunes (to me) have a more airy vocal sound..?

I think I prefer the more upfront sound... just my two cents.

And hey I like everything about WEBB except the sound of distorted guitar... I think a more raw sound would suite it... but that's just me!!!

Overall a very impressive effort, good job!

Cheers Milan... some of the older songs in there have actually been re-worked/re-recorded quite a bit (inlcuding vox) since I posted them previously... that's prob why they sound so fresh.

Yeah, Easy took a slightly different turn a few weeks back. This version does sound bigger, although personally I'm still fond of an earlier version which had no keyboards & was a bit more grungy.

No - none of it is mastered - this is just the 3 of us trying to get the best sound from our home set ups.

Thanks for the feedback... we're onto the next batch now, so we'll see where it takes us!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Ozzy/Maiden style rock band I mixed.
    They tracked in another studio but I reamped the guitars and mixed.
    Listen to the guitar playing. OMFG!
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/05%207th%20Circle.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

http://www.robertcrosbie.net/signals.html

My new album "Signals" which I spoke about in earlier posts. Its a free download so go ahead and get it and let me know what you think. Hopefully most of the folks here will appreciate the production.

Feedback is encouraged and expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Congratulations Robert.

I'm interested to hear why you picked the 'Free Album' route ?

Just to get it out there really, out there and heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Fairnuff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Thanks ETB,

Best of luck with it.

Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭dasdog

Just had a listen to a few songs. Really nice relaxed feel to it. I'm impressed with what I listened too, it sounds like honest music and kudos on the free release. So how did you convince Perry Farrell to sing on Celestial Light :)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Hey man,

As I've repeatedly said, this stuff, and all your stuff really, sounds great! Amazing that it's just you!

I do wonder though why you don't bandcamp it? Only because then I could get CD quality tracks, still for free, and you wouldn't be paying for bandwidth...

Anyway, just a thought... :)

Plus that way, if you ever wanted to, you could just start charging like 10 cent for the records, and over time save up for new guitar strings ;)

Classy stuff man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

not bad man, well done, who done the final mix down/mastered it? one or two of the songs are a little bit muffled, some of the instruments coming through are not very clear, other than that good stuff:)

• Advertisement

It was me, I did the whole thing. Some of the instruments are mixed low on purpose but perhaps with a proper mixdown and master it would be even better.

Getting back to this post work (seems like well paid slavery recently). There's actually a few really good tracks written there. Instrumentally simple but effective and a lot of work for one individual. I'm hearing a lot of David Gilmour influences but that's not a negative thing. Something I'd love to do (record everything myself) but if I have one criticism it would be some of the vocals. That aside, I'd happily pay for/sponsor someone to create like this without necessarily buying an album through the usual (old and current) mechanisms.

dasdog wrote: »
    Getting back to this post work (seems like well paid slavery recently). There's actually a few really good tracks written there. Instrumentally simple but effective and a lot of work for one individual. I'm hearing a lot of David Gilmour influences but that's not a negative thing. Something I'd love to do (record everything myself) but if I have one criticism it would be some of the vocals. That aside, I'd happily pay for/sponsor someone to create like this without necessarily buying an album through the usual (old and current) mechanisms.

Cheers, I appreciate the comments! Yeah Gilmour is huge influence, those long slow notes of his! Regarding the vocals, do you mean the production or the performance?

I'm commenting from the uber end of the critical stick here and bear in mind I'm not the biggest fan of the majority of (caucasian) singing. Some parts of the vocals on some of the songs, for example the opening lines of Howth Song, seem slightly off to my ear. Then again, singing wise Fall in to the Sea (for example) sounds really good so I am being very picky and not focussing on the overall positive with that comment. Production wise you're asking the wrong person :). Once it's recorded cleanly and balanced its good enough for me.

There's me been critical and I haven't as much as picked up a guitar this week I've been so busy but it's clocking off time now so that will change.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

iamstop wrote: »

That's a quality name! :D really like the sounds too, nice :cool:

But.... Gis me avatar back :p

dasdog wrote: »
    for example the opening lines of Howth Song, seem slightly off to my ear.

Yeah I can hear that now, and another person mentioned it to me as well. I think I'll re-record the vocal and sneak it back up and hope no one notices! :)

El Pr0n wrote: »
    That's a quality name! :D really like the sounds too, nice :cool:

But.... Gis me avatar back :p

Cheers man.

Yeah no probs. Will change now. I loved Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Island back on the Atari, but no so fond of Puzzle Bobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Regarding mixing, levels and EQing and reverb if you don't mind please.
    I'm learning as I go so all (constructive) criticism welcome.

Also, I'm new to programming drums so any advice on them specifically would be welcome. I do plan on adding more cymbals to the end of phrases.

Thanks.

The tracks been uploaded to Soundcloud. I can't work out how to embed it here so the link is alright.

http://soundcloud.com/user9896207/32-esio-trot-eq-copy-09aug2010

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Here is a little sampler of whats going to be our 2nd release - a free five track E.P.

http://soundcloud.com/beastmen/el-maniaco-contra-el-monstruo

• Advertisement

Regarding mixing, levels and EQing and reverb if you don't mind please.
    I'm learning as I go so all (constructive) criticism welcome.

Also, I'm new to programming drums so any advice on them specifically would be welcome. I do plan on adding more cymbals to the end of phrases.

Thanks.

The tracks been uploaded to Soundcloud. I can't work out how to embed it here so the link is alright.

http://soundcloud.com/user9896207/32-esio-trot-eq-copy-09aug2010

Much appreciated.

Wow! those drums are LOUD!!!

I really feel like it's hard to even get into the mix more than to say, the drums are very loud.

I'll happily happily comment more on this, as I like quite a few of the ideas (not so sold on the fuzz guitar sound), but it's hard for me to get past the loud drums.

Turn them down a few dB, repost and I'll happily try and help out!

There is a good load of people on here with a good variety of sounds. I run a night on Tuesdays (for now) called Sample Ed1t where you are welcome to bring your tunes on a CDR and the DJs will mix them in with records on the night.
    A great way to meet fellow music heads and have a relaxed chat about styles, software, hardware, collabos, remixing and all that good stuff.

Search for Sample Ed1t on facebook
    twitter.com/Sample_Ed1t

and the listing is as follows:

The world famous Sample Ed1t is back!
    Every Tuesday at Bia Bar, 20:00, till late

⇨ What is a Sample Ed1t?
    Well, here at SE we invite people who make music to come along with a CD of your own, homemade music and we will mix it in with the records we are playing. From Ambient to Jungle and pretty much anything in between.
    Bring your mates and hear your tracks on a proper PA in front of a crowd.
    Talk to others about software, hardware, remixing and collaborating

very rough version of a new tune...

how rough?

well... it's still missing a section!

In fact it's so rough I'm only leaving it online for a few more hours..

Anyway, some of you might like to hear it..:

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/whistle-super-unfinished-version-up-for-24-hours-only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 McPeake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

how rough?

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/whistle-super-unfinished-version-up-for-24-hours-only

Gone already?

I think I heard this already though. It's the one with the cool keyboard riff and the drums are really clear?

Excellent track if it's that one.

Gone already?

I think I heard this already though. It's the one with the cool keyboard riff and the drums are really clear?

Excellent track if it's that one.

Sorry man!

It's so rough I didn't want to leave it up that long ;)

And yeah, that's the one in question... although I have written another part for it!

Though I haven't recorded it yet...

Hey guys,

Here's a slightly newer version of OED with a new intro... and a slightly more sparse mix...

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/oed-with-intro

...Hopefully we'll get some real drums for this soon... anyone?

God, how can finding a drummer be so damned-ably difficult??

Urgh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

how rough?

It turned into a pumpkin before I had a chance to hear it.

krd wrote: »
    It turned into a pumpkin before I had a chance to hear it.

I'll turn it back on for ye:

;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

iamstop wrote: »

I like it - I really like it,

but if you want some advice or my advice

I think you're stuff is over busy. You're repeating too much stuff too often. You could stretch the ideas across the whole track. The stuff where you distort the kick drum - sounds weird - weird is fine but it does sound like a snare playing the kick - for a whole track sounds weird -

I've listened to you other stuff - I really like it - it sounds like it would sound great on acid.

Some of it is really great but you lose the thread of it by having too much going on at once and not having something as the focus - like what's this track about. The bass? the drums? the weird choir in the background - I think you have to chose an element as the lead singer and run with - or have a duet between to elements.

Saying that - if I heard it on acid I'd probably think i t was the greatest music ever made.

I could be completely wrong

The sounds are good - the music is there. I just think you need to take out little bits and pieces.

Make it more sparse - like DJ Shadow (who you've borrowed few ideas from)

Where'd you get those samples?

Advertisement