Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

i'm reading animals at the moment by emma jane unsworth. it's alright like, it has its moment.
    i was really looking forward to read white oleander but play.com never posted it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm on a reading binge lately and am currently reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, I've been meaning to read something by him for ages after hearing such good things. One of my habits,when reading a book, is to look up quotes by the author, partly to decide if I want to read more and partly because I just really love reading quotes. This guy, I really just need some medium to express how blown away I am. I think there's a cobwebbed quotes thread lying around somewhere but this will do fine.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

''Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something.”

“Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

“Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "It might have been.”

“And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.”

“Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning do to do afterward.”

“I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

“Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.”

I actually had like three times this many quotes but I went back and removed some so as to avoid making an essay out of the whole thing. So good though, off to read his entire works now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Started "The Night Watch" by Sergei Lukyanenko, so far so good. Now that I'm finished my repeats I want to read quite a few books :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Just finished "The Man In The High Castle" by Philip K. Dick.
    It's a really interesting what if?/alternate history novel.
    The "what if?" scenario being a world where the Axis powers won WWII.

Dick does a really good job of creating a believable American society with the Japanese as the ruling class. The Cold War being a stand off between The Reich and Empire rather than the Yanks and the Russians. The central point of the story being a book being published describing a society where the allies won the war and the events set in motion by the books release. The Nazis and The Japs waging an invisible war on the streets of San Francisco

There's this whole commentary on antiques and art and how people pay vast amounts of money on things based on the "historcity" of them. I.e age, brands. And how essentially its meaningless and stupid.

Really good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Just started Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. Wish me luck :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Just started Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. Wish me luck :pac:

Never read it myself but my old English teacher recommended reading the Pevear & Volokhonsky translations of Russian literature where available. Supposed to be much easier to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Tatiana by Martin Cruz Smith.

Definitely my favourite author, have read all of the books in the Renko series. Have loved all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Between all my college bits n' pieces, I'm reading Rage of Angels by Sindey Sheldon. The author was recommended to me by a friend who's all time favourite book is Master of the Game from the same author. Only 1 chapter in; so far so good!

Now it's Tokyo Station by Martin Cruz Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Mad about you by Sinead Moriarty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Just finished The Beach by Alex Garland- it is fantastic! Definitely one of the best books I've read. I've seen the movie multiple times, but the book is SO much more interesting. Really devoured this book- there was no point where I felt bored by what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Just reading The Hobbit and how I haven't read it before I do not know..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Just finished Alien : Sea of Sorrows

Major meh.

1355739052-That-awkward-moment-after-finishing-a-book.png

Find a job probably. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm ugly crying on the train. Oh, Sarah Rees Brennan books ALWAYS do this to me.

Just finished Filth by Irvine Welsh.
    Grim is not even the word.
    I need a hug now.

Currently reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's theeee best!

Currently reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's theeee best!

I love the film. Is the book even better?

pajor wrote: »
    I love the film. Is the book even better?

Yeah it's absolutely brilliant and really well written and it came first of course. :P But I also find that the movie follows the book very well, so it's win win!

If you love the movie you will love the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

finished 'the Sisters Brothers' by Patrick DeWitt there, a good read. kind of a different take on the life and mind of hired killers around the time of the gold rush in California, focusing on loneliness and a doubt in the value of their existence, but with plenty of action to keep it bouncing along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Just finished Gone Girl. A bit disappointed with how little impact the ending had!

Picked up a book while waiting on a bus in Galway the other day.
    2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson.
    Pretty standard Sci-fi; using futuristic settings to comment on contempary society .
    Follows a colonist from Mercury as they trek through the galaxy from planet to terraformed planet with the occasional terraformed asteroid thrown in.

Reminds me a lot of Asimov's Empire series, pretty derivative stuff but some of the imagery in it is beautiful; been having science-boners for days.

There's this two page description of sunrise on mercury in the first chapter that is just fupping sexy.

Well worth a read if you like sci-fI.

Picked up a book while waiting on a bus in Galway the other day.
    2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson
    I described this all wrong. I've been reading this in bursts on the bus to work for four months because I do not want it to finish.

It touches on politics; the destructive,stubborn nature of capitalism. Nature conservation, gender identity and sexuality, classical art and music. Lots of astrophysics and robots and a.I and self awareness.
    male and female does not exist in this future. Everybody is either an androgyn or gynandromorphous or a hermaphrodite and everybody is boning everybody. Fulfilling different parenting and sexual roles in like these communal families rather than mother father child.

it's just chock full of interesting concepts and visions of where we might go as a species.

I'm actually finding the reviews of 'Go Set A Watchman' a bit disturbing.

I think I just have to buy and read it though.

I bought a book last year that I started but couldn't get into.
    Russian novel. The Master and Margharita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
    I made another attempt at starting it last week. I'm glad I went back to it. A very lovely novel.
    So far it seems like an examination of the nature of good and evil. The language is very beautiful. Russian style writing can be hard to follow sometimes. Very very descriptive but some really funny moments and anecdotes.
    the fact it was written in the thirties in the soviet union makes some of the subject matter very interesting. Bulgakov must have had balls of steels to risk the wrath of Stalin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Bam, First post on this forum! I'm reading "The Death of WCW: 10th Anniversary Edition" by Bryan Alvarez. It's a Wrestling book (Yep, I'm one of those guys) about World Championship Wrestling and tells the tale of their inception, how they overtook the WWF (now WWE) in a ratings war and nearly put them out of business and through bad decisions still managed to fumble it all and go out of business in 2001.

About to start The Catcher in the Rye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. It's about the real life murder of a family in Kansas in the 1950's.

Only 100 pages in, but it has been very chilling in parts already.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I nearly bought Go Set A Watchman today. I want to read it, but it seems very dodgy how it was 'uncovered'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I nearly bought Go Set A Watchman today. I want to read it, but it seems very dodgy how it was 'uncovered'.

What do you mean?

Planning on picking up a copy tomorrow!!

Advertisement