Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine just wont start

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I hope the OP meant he swopped over the distributor cap and not the whole distributor assembly... OP, can you clarify this for us??? Also, did you do as I suggested earlier and check the condition of the electrodes inside the distributor cap, particularly the centre carbon electrode and also the rotor arm???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you haven't set up the timing then you're in a spot of bother. You can set it up close enough by doing the following.

1. Remove the distributor cap. Look at the edge/rim of the metal body. You will see a line cut across it.

2. Set the crank pulley to TDC. When you do the rotor arm should point at this line in the rim. The HT lead in the corresponding position on the distributor should be the lead for cylinder no.1 (closest to the timing belt end).

3. Slacken the bolts that mount the distributor. Start the engine - if it runs lumpy, rotate the distributor body - very slowly - in each direction until the engine smooths out as best it can. Lock up the distributor mounting bolts at this point.

This should be enough to get the engine running well enough to drive but to have the ignition timing 100% it will need a timing lamp hooked up.

All the above assumes you can get a spark. If you still see no spark, it might be an idea to check to see if the engine itself is grounded. Check the earth strap from the battery to the gearbox/engine in case it has broken or become detached.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Ummm trying to work out if that's sarcasm or not ... :rolleyes:

Cause i didn't know that model golf came with the combined ignition coil / wiper motor assembly... ( you learn something new every day ;) )

Jesus no not at all dilbert, i was feeling stupid about not knowing where the ignition coil on my own engine was :o

But once you said the center lead would feed back into the coil as in older cars than mine i kinda felt a little relived.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I hope the OP meant he swopped over the distributor cap and not the whole distributor assembly... OP, can you clarify this for us??? Also, did you do as I suggested earlier and check the condition of the electrodes inside the distributor cap, particularly the centre carbon electrode and also the rotor arm???

:o:( I went ahead and swopped over the distributor assembly after the swopping over of the distributor cap failed and knew by the timing marks that i had ****edup when it was too late... electrode and rotor arm are in good condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

:o:( I went ahead and swopped over the distributor assembly after the swopping over of the distributor cap failed and knew by the timing marks that i had ****edup when it was too late... electrode and rotor arm are in good condition.

Call a mechanic, 'cos it's unlikely now that you'll get this sorted on your own. Now you have an ignition timing problem as well as the original problem...

And be sure to tell him that he needs to reset the ignition timing.

Alternatively, you can take out the spark plug from cylinder number 1, bring the cylinder to TDC (top dead centre), by using a pencil or something like that touching off the top of the piston, and try to roughly set the ignition timing by putting back on the distributor cap and relocating the distributor itself so that the rotor arm is hitting the electrode for plug lead number 1 when cylinder number 1 is at TDC...

• Advertisement

Ok i reckon i might be able to get the timing back as close to normal with the instructions given until i can get it to the only mechanic i trust around here, but he's 20mls+ from me.

Do you guys think the ignition coil / wiper motor assembly might be at fault here?

Will check the earth strap from the battery to the gearbox/engine in the morning to see if it has broken or become detached, might explain no spark from the plug when testing it.

Dam it i have a feeling i have turned something rather simple into a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The ignition coil could be at fault but there's no guarantee. It could be something as simple as a fuse - have you checked them all?

If you feel up to the job then fire ahead but if you've any reservations about your ability then maybe you should leave it to your trusted mechanic in case you make a bad situation worse.

If you are to continue your diagnosis you need to be very systematic in how you approach it. Only you know your abilities but don't bite off more than you can chew as it may cost you in the long run.

Ye i've checked all fuses and all are good. Also theres been an issue with my indicators for the last month so there is an electrical fault in the car somewhere.
    Thanks a million for all of the much appricheated time and advise. I will get her back to pretty much the same condition as when i started and leave it at that and hand it over to the professionals.

That said i have a funny feeling about the earth strap for some reason but then again funny feelings have sometimes found a way of hitting me in the pocket. :rolleyes:

Thanks lads.

Advertisement