Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are razor blades so bloody expensive ?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

looks like a nice cheap deal if you want to try a safety razor! :

ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

havent read whole topic so maybe sum1 has already said this but razor blades are so expensive because the razor companies sell the actual razors for less than they are worth, as in they lose money on the razors, then make it back on the blades.. its like what microsoft do with xbox's , they lose money on every xbox sold and make it back on the games that are sold

i always use the disposable ones anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sweeno wrote: »
    havent read whole topic so maybe sum1 has already said this but razor blades are so expensive because the razor companies sell the actual razors for less than they are worth, as in they lose money on the razors, then make it back on the blades.. its like what microsoft do with xbox's , they lose money on every xbox sold and make it back on the games that are sold

i always use the disposable ones anyway

How much to you think that little piece of moulded plastic/rubber with a small vibrator in it costs to make? Doubt it's more than 2/3 quid tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

I'm trying out the Azor King of Shaves razor and I'm very happy. Bye bye extortionate prices. I'm on the third day and would use it in preference to the Gillette ProGlide even if they were the same price. But if as claimed I can get three weeks or more out of the Azor blade I'm looking at a fraction of the cost.

I always like the Gilettes but they are just too expensive so I have always been willing to try alternatives. This is the first one I am really happy with and won't be going back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

+1, King of Shaves are miles better than Gilette or Wilkinson Sword.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I didn't read the full thread because of its length so I'm not sure if this question has been asked already. Apologies if it has.

Is there anywhere to get cheap/reasonably priced blades online?

I would like a good make like King of Shaves, Gillette or Wilkinson Sword. I checked out ebay before and I was close to buying a good branded blade at a price much cheaper than the supermarket. Just as I was about to purchase I read a document on ebay warning that alot of the so-called 'cheap' blades are fakes from Asia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Marinjohn

jester77 wrote: »
    Why not get a decent razor like a Merkur and pickup some Feather blades, you can get 50 blades for under £10 here and they will give you a better shave than any Gilette or Wilkinson blade will ever give you.

Yes this is very good advice...I recently switched to a Merkur razor...A far far cheaper way to shave...The shaving process is a little slower because the razor is more cumbersome than say a Mach 3 turbo, but for the money you save its a small inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Thomas St Dublin on a couple of the stalls is where you'll get cheap Gillette razor heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Apparently the reason is they are the most stolen item in the shops so this drives up costs, funny how the UK don't seem to suffer from this :rolleyes:

exactly the same in the uk..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

exactly the same in the uk..

re sharpen blades by rubbing them on the inside of a straight glass tumble....be careful though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

who007 wrote: »
    looks like a nice cheap deal if you want to try a safety razor! :

ebay

I doubt whether a lethal weapon would be allowed through the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I doubt whether a lethal weapon would be allowed through the post.

it's only a lethal weapon if you plan on using it as such but it is actually a open razor so yes, no problem posting.
    Also check out shaving.ie for a cheaper & better alternative for wet shaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

you get what you pay for. have you ever bought the cheap 2/3 euro razor blade bic pack? I always end up in cuts.

The expensive Mach 3 blades never cut me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Cheapo blades. No way, I don't want bits of bog roll stuck to my face.

Advertisement