Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you enjoy Christmas?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I like Christmas day, but don't like the run up to it. Working in a big shop that goes absolutely insane at this time of the year has a lot to do with it. Christmas day will be my first day off in 7 days, looking forward to a glass of wine on Christmas eve and chilling out with family and neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Exasperated

I hate christmas.Its so depressing and quite sad.A wise man one told me this around 3 ears ago during my JC and I realise how right he was.He now spends his time playing computer games and designing websites etc.So yeah.......depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Christmas? Oh, I didn't notice. It's all this fudging study for my stupid last ever Christmas tests! :mad: but also :D at the same time!

I like Christmas, I get to see all my family, plus presents of course! But my girlfriend went to Germany today and I won't get to see her until next Tuesday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

oh but you can, sir.

for anyone whose ever met me, they'll know that i tend to wear all my clothes XL, and by all my clothes, i mean my men's tshirts and jeans. and hoodies.

so why oh why oh why would anyone give me a €20 voucher for A-Wear, or, my favourite, a €20 voucher for brown thomas.

1. what would i wear there?
    2. am i expected to spend the extra few hundred just cos i have a €20 voucher?

:confused::confused::confused:

Jaysus, €20 at Brown Thomas? You could almost get a pair of socks with that! :pac:

When it comes to unwanted gifts, you should always remember the old saying "it's the though that counts". Yes, that saying is a load of bollocks but you should still be nice and pretend you like it! And drop subtle hints that you'd love a voucher from somewhere else next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

a €20 voucher for brown thomas.

Got one of them for my friend a couple of months ago. Realised how little point it had when I decided to sit down on a ****ty little silver chair in the shop before leaving, to find out it was €3000. You get a fancy bag and box with it though, which nearly worth more than €20 I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Not a huge fan of Christmas.

Keep getting asked what I want when I don't really want anything in particular, and have to think of something random.

Never really buy many presents, friends and I don't really exchange presents, so just have to buy for my sister and family, who are as indifferent as I about what they get from people.

Have a girlfriend for the first time in 2 Christmases this year, so have to buy for her this year. Have half her present bought already.

It's a nice holiday, but I've never bought into the romanticism of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The other day I bought more presents so I could have more fun wrapping them ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I enjoy christmas.
    Except I don't enjoy the religious part- being an atheist.
    I go to mass on christmas morning because I don't like to upset my grandparents though... it's poxy!

Things I LOVE-
    The food- Stollen and Trifle = WIN

The TV- Doctor Who Christmas special = WIN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I can't believe I spent €50 on a purse for the gf! 50 EURO! What was I thinking.. *facepalm*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I enjoy christmas.
    Except I don't enjoy the religious part- being an atheist.
    I go to mass on christmas morning because I don't like to upset my grandparents though... it's poxy!

Things I LOVE-
    The food- Stollen and Trifle = WIN

The TV- Doctor Who Christmas special = WIN
    DOCTOR WHO SPECIAL FTW.
    DOCTOR WHO FULL STOP FTW.

:D

• Advertisement

Kersmash wrote: »
    I can't believe I spent €50 on a purse for the gf! 50 EURO! What was I thinking.. *facepalm*
    Spent 30 euro on mine and felt bad, but now I don't; knowing that you spent 50 makes my 30 OK, even if it did bankrupt me :p
    rhapsody! wrote: »
    DOCTOR WHO SPECIAL FTW.
    DOCTOR WHO FULL STOP FTW.

:D
    I wholeheartedly agree.

TRIFLE+COUCH+DOCTOR WHO CHRISTMAS SPECIAL = EPIC WIN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Spent 30 euro on mine and felt bad, but now I don't; knowing that you spent 50 makes my 30 OK, even if it did bankrupt me :p

I got other stuff too. Came to about 80 in total, which is why I'm working my arse off over the holidays! We have been together nearly 2 years though... I know a couple, not even going out a year and spending 300+ each! Ridiculous. Stupid people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got other stuff too. Came to about 80 in total, which is why I'm working my arse off over the holidays! We have been together nearly 2 years though... I know a couple, not even going out a year and spending 300+ each! Ridiculous. Stupid people.

Are you serious?! €300 is insane. I've been with my girlfriend neary 17 months and I'm not spending over €60 on her presents. I picked them carefully, so they're well-chosen instead of highly priced :)

...yeah... I'm not big on present-giving actually!
    ...we agreed on a price anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SYLT

Crimbo is an excuse to show how better you are than everyone by getting lavish gifts and making sure you look superior to everyone elses poverty presents, yah.

An Fhile wrote: »
    Are you serious?! €300 is insane. I've been with my girlfriend neary 17 months and I'm not spending over €60 on her presents. I picked them carefully, so they're well-chosen instead of highly priced :)

Playing oneupmanship are we?!

Boyfriend spent around €200 on me last year! And there wasme thinking I was extragavent spending over €100 on him! This yeah I had a low budjet, but kept thinking of things he'd like and I just HAD to get him!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I buy all my gifts in the €2 shop ;) . I always go in and somehow find something brilliant for everyone in my family (and a little something for myself obviously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Piste wrote: »
    Playing oneupmanship are we?!

Boyfriend spent around €200 on me last year! And there wasme thinking I was extragavent spending over €100 on him! This yeah I had a low budjet, but kept thinking of things he'd like and I just HAD to get him!

Ended up spending close to 400 on Christmas for my ex last year altogether. :pac:

Do I win something? ^^

Being single sucks, but it's a lot cheaper. ;)

You win the respect and admiration of everyone on this forum.

So what was it...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

TODAY IS CHRISTMAS EVE!
    TOMORROW IS CHRISTMAS DAY!!!
    It's kinda scary how you spend ages preparing for it and yet it still creeps up on you so suddenly.
    Ended up spending close to 400 on Christmas for my ex last year altogether. :pac:

Do I win something? ^^

Being single sucks, but it's a lot cheaper. ;)

You wasted 400 on someone who's now your ex?

Here's what you've won:
    facepalm2kx3.jpg

• Advertisement

Eh it involved flying and surprising her when she didn;t think she'd be seeing me at all that holiday. Then dragging her off to romantic trip to random city. Seemed worth it at the time. :P

That's adorable, you're lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I spent about forty on my girlfriend, 2 (or four, depending on how you look at it) of my presents are really personal and customised. She couldn't bring the big main class present to Germany though, but when she gets back....let's just say she'll be happy! :cool: I would have spent more, but I didn't really have any moneys for it cos it was her birthday on saturday and I had to get her something for that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've only been going out with mine a month and intended to spend €30ish but have only spent about €25 so far. I'll get her some chocolate and maybe something else today too.

I have the problem of being disorganised and not having enough ideas.

The thought of people spending over €100 on their OHs (and thus really expensive presents becoming something expected), scares me slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The joys of being single. :pac:

Wait.

That means I get one less present than everybody else.

:(

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I've only been going out with mine a month and intended to spend €30ish but have only spent about €25 so far. I'll get her some chocolate and maybe something else today too.

I have the problem of being disorganised and not having enough ideas.

The thought of people spending over €100 on their OHs (and thus really expensive presents becoming something expected), scares me slightly.

Sure everyone knows the amount of money you spend on your OH at Christmas is directly proportional to how much you love them.

Obviously.
    My gf got me a kick-ass hat.
    Its lovely and warm, makes me feel like I have a ferret snuggled around my ears.
    Except without the teeth.

In fairness, it's true that it's the thought that counts. I'd rather someone got me something small that I liked than something expensive and meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I wouldn't spend 200 euro on myself :O

Btw am I the only person here who doesn't like trifle?
    I have something against Christmas desserts.

I HATE christmas cake, christmas pudding, mince pies and trifle..
    I'm somewhat scroogey in the food dept.

• Advertisement

rhapsody! wrote: »
    I wouldn't spend 200 euro on myself :O

Btw am I the only person here who doesn't like trifle?
    I have something against Christmas desserts.

I HATE christmas cake, christmas pudding, mince pies and trifle..
    I'm somewhat scroogey in the food dept.

Do what I do and make ice cream. :P

Advertisement