Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOW TO GET NAT 2 - ZyXEL ROUTER

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Lochy6767

JTWood23 wrote: »
    hey man i just wanted to ask you a question regarding this nat type problem ive been having, i have the Zyxel router aswell i have known about the steps you provided to change the nat type to 2 for a while now and when i preformed those steps on the router it worked the only thing is the ps3 seems to reset back to nat type 3 all on its own i dont know what the problem is, one thing i can tell you is that if i reset the router and do the steps again and turn off my laptop it stays nat type 2 but as soon as i turn my laptop back on and do a connection test on the ps3 it goes back to nat type 3 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

ye same S H I T keeps happinin to me.. sum days its nat 2 oders its nat 3 pain in d arse tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NetLink

Ok, try the following ...

Get your PS3s MAC address. You should be able to find this somewhere in Connection Settings. It's sometimes also called Hardware Address and looks like one of the two following:

00-16-01-7D-F9-80
    00:16:01:7D:F9:80

Make a note of your MAC address, making sure you take it down correctly.

Next, download your router's user guide:
    http://www.zyxel.co.uk/upload/doc/P660HW%20User%20Guide.pdf

Look in the index for "LAN Setup", open it, and skip down to "LAN Client List". This section will tell you how to assign a static IP to your PS3.

From the manual:

"This table allows you to assign IP addresses on the LAN to specific individual computers based on their MAC Addresses.

Every Ethernet device has a unique MAC (Media Access Control) address. The MAC address is assigned at the factory and consists of six pairs of hexadecimal characters, for example, 00:A0:C5:00:00:02. To change your ZyXEL Device’s static DHCP settings, click Network > LAN > Client List. The screen appears as shown."

Once you've done the above, you will probably have to repeat the steps to get NAT type 2 working, using the IP address you used in the previous steps.

Let me know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 JTWood23

thanks ill give that a try, ill get back to you to tell you if it works or not cheers

tried that and it didnt work plus im not sure im doing everything correctly that user manual isnt very detailed and im not a very techie person ill try a few more times ill just need to find a guide for dummies i guess thanks for your help

after trying it a few more times there is oneproblem i see when i type in my ip address and mac address and click add when it comes in the below field the status light wont turn green to show that it is connected to zyxel devive it stays off maybe that the problem having said that i can still connect the ps3 to the internet but still with nat type 3

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, the amount of help I can offer is limited since I don't have the router myself. But when you're in LAN -> Client List do you see a window with two form fields - one labelled "IP Address" and the other "MAC Address" with an "Add" button?

If you do, pick an IP address - you can go with "192.168.1.55". Enter that IP address into the "IP Address" field (without the quotes). Enter your PS3's MAC into the "MAC Address" field. Press the "Add" button. Make sure "Reserve" is ticked, and hit the "Apply" button. Now restart your router (you can power it off and on). Then turn on your PS3, go to Network Settings and Network Connection Status or whatever it's called, and also do a Connection test and see if the IP address is the same as you entered in the router - e.g. 192.168.1.55.

hi just did exactly what you told me to to do and still no change

What does your PS3 say its IP address is?

i set my ps3 ip address 192.168.1.55 and then set it the same in the router with the ps3's mac address, you have the ability to manually set your ip address on the ps3 so thats what i did would you recommend doind an automatic connection and then changing the router to what ever the ps3 automaticaly chose

No, that should be fine.

Normally, if you set the IP in the router, you can set your PS3 to automatic, but the way you did it should work too.

So, now if your PS3 has the IP address 192.168.1.55, it should stay that way permanently.

So, now that you know the IP and assuming it will stay the same, you should be able to configure your router for NAT 2 on PS3 by either putting 192.168.1.55 into a DMZ or by setting up port forwarding on 192.168.1.55.

These are the instructions I posted in a previous post:

Network --> NAT

1. On General tab select SUA only and apply
    2. Click on Port Forwarding tab
    3. In the IP box enter your PS3s static IP address
    4. In Start Port enter "1"
    5. In End Port enter "49151"
    6. Apply settings and restart router

Also have a look here:
    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ZyXEL/P-660HW-T1v2/PS3_Call_of_Duty_4_Modern_Warfare.htm

The above example shows you how to do port forwarding on your Zyxel router for Call of Duty 4 on PS3, but you can open up all the ports instead of just the CoD4 ones, which would effectively put your PS3 into a DMZ.

• Advertisement

yes i saw that previous post you put up and did those steps and it went to nat type 2 however soon after while my laptop was on it returned to nat type 3 and just to prove a point i reset my laptop did all the nessessary steps saved the changes and turned off my laptop, turned on the ps3 and it was nat type 2, played with it for a good while and did several tests here and there to check and it was always 2 but then the second i turn on my laptop and it connects to the internet it changes back to 3 ill give the other port forwarding options a go and see how that goes

Actually, I know someone who had the exact same problem with the same router. I offered to take a look at it personally, but he never made it available to me so I couldn't test it out myself.

It could be that it's just the router not wanting to play along. It usually shouldn't be that much hassle to configure them (routers in general I mean).

If all else fails, I would personally look for another router. I recommend D-Link - they're fairly reliable, easy to configure and not too expensive. You should be able to get one for around 40-50 EUR. Netgear is also meant to be ok - the NETGEAR DG834Gv5.

This is the D-Link I'd recommend:
    D-Link DSL-2640R Wireless G ADSL2+ 4-Port Modem Router

It costs about 50 EUR and it's been tried and tested on the PS3. It was used to replace one of those useless Eircom Netopia routers.

ill give it a look thank you very much for your time and help much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emmowilko

i have this zyxel router however when i type in 192.168.1.1 i dont get an advanced tab on the left hand side ? what can i do ?

Getting the advanced tab can be a little tricky with the Zyxel. If you don't see the tab, it usually means you didn't log in properly.

Have you changed the default password? I think the default is 1234. You can confirm this by checking the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭oisinmc14

NetLink wrote: »
    No, that should be fine.

Normally, if you set the IP in the router, you can set your PS3 to automatic, but the way you did it should work too.

So, now if your PS3 has the IP address 192.168.1.55, it should stay that way permanently.

So, now that you know the IP and assuming it will stay the same, you should be able to configure your router for NAT 2 on PS3 by either putting 192.168.1.55 into a DMZ or by setting up port forwarding on 192.168.1.55.

These are the instructions I posted in a previous post:

Network --> NAT

1. On General tab select SUA only and apply
    2. Click on Port Forwarding tab
    3. In the IP box enter your PS3s static IP address
    4. In Start Port enter "1"
    5. In End Port enter "49151"
    6. Apply settings and restart router

Also have a look here:
    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ZyXEL/P-660HW-T1v2/PS3_Call_of_Duty_4_Modern_Warfare.htm

The above example shows you how to do port forwarding on your Zyxel router for Call of Duty 4 on PS3, but you can open up all the ports instead of just the CoD4 ones, which would effectively put your PS3 into a DMZ.

i keep getting an internal error when i do this

oisinmc14 wrote: »
    i keep getting an internal error when i do this

If you're getting an "internal error" message, it's more than likely an issue with the router's internal software or scripts. I would try resetting it and then try everything over again from scratch. Also make sure that the firmware is updated (not sure what the latest firmware is).

Here's a Youtube video by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmdqQstkOqs

[QUOTE=
    NetLink
    ;69660394]If you're getting an "internal error" message, it's more than likely an issue with the router's internal software or scripts. I would try resetting it and then try everything over again from scratch. Also make sure that the firmware is updated (not sure what the latest firmware is).

Here's a
    Youtube
    video by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmdqQstkOqs[/QUOTE]

thanks for the vid its very helpful but i was trying to update to the latest firmware but no matter what i do it always stays at the previous one, even though it gives the impression that it is updating(lights blinking/resetting)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

3.40(APR.5)C0 is the one im trying to install

I think ya tried to install the wrong one. That's for a p660hw-t1 v2
    The eircom one is a v3 so the fw should be 3.70(bjz.7)co

guil wrote: »
    I think ya tried to install the wrong one. That's for a p660hw-t1 v2
    The eircom one is a v3 so the fw should be 3.70(bjz.7)co

yeah im using the p660hw-t1 v2 and im with perlico

Pretty sure its the firmware
    that's
    the problem but all of the versions i try to install wont install anybody got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

yeah im using the p660hw-t1 v2 and im with perlico

Perlico is an absolute nightmare with the PlayStation 3.

I'm with Perlico and was fortunate enough to to get Nat Type 2 after weeks of finding a way thanks to the OP himself :) , however most of the time i have to power my router off and back on again then turn on my PS3 and check the Network Settings to see if UPnP is 'Available' and Nat is 2 but sometimes it could be 3 so that means I would have to restart the console again.

When I was with Eircom I had none of this hassle :rolleyes:.

Advertisement