Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOW TO GET NAT 2 - ZyXEL ROUTER

Options
  • 19-12-2008 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

To get nat type 2 on ur ps3 follow this step by step guide

NOTE: This guide only applies to the ZyXEL P-660HW - T1 Router. However if this is not the router you have, browse around ur own and look to enable UPnp. This shud still do the job.

1. Type in http://192.168.1.1 into ur address bar on windows explorer/firefox. This will bring u to ur Routers Homepage.
    2. Type in ur password which is usually 1234, if u have not changed it.
    3. On the left hand side of the page u should see a listing. Click 'advanced'
    4. A drop down menu will appear. Select UPnP (Universal Plug and Play).
    5. Tick the box for each of the 3 choices.
    6. Then hit 'apply'
    7. Then go to your Ps3's XMB - Network Settings - Configure settings and enable UPnP if u have not already done so.
    8. Then run a Internet Connection Test on ur ps3 and Nat type shud be Nat type 2. If it is not look at the UPnP above it and check if it says 'available'. If it says 'Not Available' ensure u have all 3 boxes ticked on the Routers Homepage.

If u have any problems or questions feel free to leave a comment and ill get back to u ASAP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

good man yourself. i did this last week myself after finding that little big planet wasn't letting me do sod all unless i was on NAT 2.

does a chap need to open ports as well. I did, but i'm not sure if i needed to!

i went and upgraded the security (you don't appear to touch on that side of things - not criticising you, btw) too, and that adds a few more layers of confusion.

If the connection test thingy is showing succesful NAT 2, does one need to do this 'DMZ' thing i've read of? And if so, does the Zyxel router allow this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Lochy6767

I also opened ports but they didnt do anything so i dont think you need to. Updating security shudnt do anything.
    Putting ur ps3 into a dmz is just giving it an ip address so when u are typing in ports u assign the ports to the ip address of ur playstation. U shudnt have to do this as the router assigns an ip address to ur ps3 for u. If u do need to know the ip address of ur ps3 go to ur ps3's XMB - settings - network settings - Status. Scroll down and it shud say ip address - 192.168.1.100 r sumthing like that. Mine is 192.168.1.34 but its different for every1.
    Did u get ur ps3 to Nat Type 2??

i did.
    i managed it on my own too, without your help, but i still think that it's great that there's a guide to the zyxel router here, and for that, you got the 'thanks' above. i'm not techie enough to write something like this myself, but i was more or less able to reconcile your steps with what i did myself, so i reckon you've done the punters a service!

I've got nat 2 setup but i think my problem is just that the little brg planet servers are cruddy!

Just wonderin wud u b able to help me. I have Nat 2 and so does my friend but i cant connect to him and he cant connect to me on Cod5??
    Any ideas??

i'm gonna spew out random stuff i'd consider. i've not got COD so i don't know any specifics. Is MAC address filtering an issue, perhaps? the only online multiplayer mayhem game i've got is GTA4 and it works fine for me having gone and opened the ports, allowed the mac address and done the NAT 2 thang. I trust you've toddled over to portforward.com for a bit of what they have to say as well, have you?

• Advertisement

yeah i been on port fowarding b4. I might try the specific ports for cod5 and see if that works. Thanks neways

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

cod waw uses the same ports as cod4

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NetLink

Lochy6767 wrote: »
    Putting ur ps3 into a dmz is just giving it an ip address so when u are typing in ports u assign the ports to the ip address of ur playstation. U shudnt have to do this as the router assigns an ip address to ur ps3 for u.
    Did u get ur ps3 to Nat Type 2??

Hi! Just wanted to correct the above... Putting your device into a DMZ (De-Militarised Zone) doesn't assign an IP address to the device. DHCP does this. DMZ turns off the firewall for that device and opens it up to the Internet making it visible and therefore allowing direct communication between the device and other peers and game servers etc. It's a good idea to put your PS3 into a DMZ because a) you don't have the security risks that you'd have with Windows, Mac & co. b) you don't need to set up port forwarding, and c) it allows for a better connection when playing online multiplayer games like GTA4 and Call of Duty.

Almost all routers act like a firewall. Port forwarding opens the firewall for specific ports and devices. DMZ simply opens up all ports for one specific device. Using either methods you need to configure DHCP to always assign the same internal IP address to the device(s) you're setting up so that DMZ and port forwarding stay applied to those devices only.

Hope that makes sense...

Netlink - it is possible to set up a DMZ on a zyxel router?

Netlink - it is possible to set up a DMZ on a zyxel router?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's possible. Zyxel routers seem a bit complicated to figure out but they definitely have more configurable options than Eircom's Netopia routers. I don't have one myself but had to configure one once. Unfortunately I can't remember the details and I couldn't find any screenshots or emulators.

But have a look through your router settings and check for anything to do with Security, Firewall, DMZ, IP Passthrough, Port Forwarding, etc.

You can get the user guide here:
    http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/download.php?FileName=200409094755792004122110251120040811211941_20060224_3.40-P660H-HW-Tseries_UG_V3-40_2006-2-17.pdf&BuildFlag=head_quarter

This page also states your router has DMZ settings:
    http://www.speedguide.net/broadband-view.php?hw=17

In case you don't get anywhere with your router (and I know how competent DigiWeb Broadband Support are!) - if you decide to get a new one, I would recommend a D-Link router. They are very good and reliable and most of them have emulators - i.e. virtual admin interfaces you can log in to from the D-Link website. Just make sure whatever router you get has an RJ11 WAN port to make it easier for you to connect the DSL cable to it.

If I find out any more information about Zyxel P660 in the meantime, I will post here.

• Advertisement

Just found this for Zyzel P660HWT1:

Log into router --> NAT --> SUA Only --> Edit Details --> add the IP of the DMZ (the IP of your PS3) to the #1 box.

Also to try:

Add 2 firewall rules-

WAN to LAN - allow "Any TCP"
    WAN to LAN - allow "Any UDP"

Enable UPnP and "Allow UPnP to pass through firewall"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

anyone know how to do something similar with an o2 wireless II box?

my ps3 is iffy with it, where it was fine on a netgear router before.

Sorry weemcd, never even heard of it 'til now...

grumpytrousers, let me know if you get it working on your Zyxel router. Also, could you tell me how to get into the "Advanced Setup". A friend was asking me about that. He said he couldn't find Advanced Setup and I remembered that it did seem difficult to get into the main menu or sitemap on that router. Do you need to do something on the login page?

hey - i tried the "Log into router --> NAT --> SUA Only --> Edit Details --> add the IP of the DMZ (the IP of your PS3) to the #1 box." option you suggested, but there didn't *seem* to be an option to 'Edit Details' after SUA Only.

Didn't try your plan B yet!

Downloaded the manual and there's no sign in the index of a DMZ; perhaps it's a bit of an informal term or something, but when it wasn't there, i began to wonder!

Sorry, would love to be able to give you step-by-step instructions but cannot find any useful screenshots of the admin interface anywhere. Have spent hours looking over the past 2 days.

DMZ is a pretty common term and I found it mentioned in the Zyxel manual but not in reference to anything useful.

If you cannot set up a DMZ on your router though, you should be able to get the same effect using Port Forwarding. I think this is how to get there on the P660HW:

Network --> NAT

1. On General tab select SUA only and apply
    2. Click on Port Forwarding tab
    3. In the IP box enter your PS3s static IP address
    4. In Start Port enter "1"
    5. In End Port enter "49151"
    6. Apply settings and restart router

This should basically open up all the possible ports and forward them to your PS3. Any ports not in use by the PS3 should be blocked by the PS3 itself.

By the way - I had the pleasure yesterday of configuring and testing the D-Link DKT-810 ADSL modem/router. It's very easy to set up and to configure DMZ and firewall settings and works great. It also has the Wireless 802.11N draft mode which is capable of transferring at 200Mbps compared to 54Mbps on the 802.11G mode that we're used to and 100Mbps on standard Ethernet. When I tested it on my laptop I got 130Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 typhoon_2099

I've only just managed to get this to work.Upnp hasn't worked how it should for ages now and the reason was I'd switched off Anti-Probing (I think). I set the router to respond to pings form wan and lan and now everything works fine, an my media is being served to my PS3 on a plate!

EDIT: No it's not, just when I'm plugged via ethernet, over wlan there's nothing. What's going on there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

How do I find out the IP address of my PS3?

I know you look it up through the connection status list but it just says Automatic. And when i set up the connection useing the PPoE it fails to obtain. Sorry for the stupid question but this Nat stuff is driving me mad.

BTW i have a ZyXel presige 600 series.

Thanks

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    How do I find out the IP address of my PS3?

I know you look it up through the connection status list but it just says Automatic. And when i set up the connection useing the PPoE it fails to obtain. Sorry for the stupid question but this Nat stuff is driving me mad.

BTW i have a ZyXel presige 600 series.

Thanks

You should give your PS3 a static IP address. For that you will need the MAC address, which you can obtain from the Network Status List. Then go into your router settings and find DHCP/LAN settings, set up a static IP, enter name (PS3 or whatever, make sure not to use any spaces as this can mess with some routers), enter the MAC address and give it an IP - e.g. 192.168.1.120.

What you could also try doing - go into (PS3) Settings -> Network Settings -> Set up Connection and instead of selecting auto, you select custom and use the following settings:

IP Address: 192.168.1.120
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway/Server: 192.168.1.1
    DNS 1: 192.168.1.1
    DNS 2: [BLANK]

NetLink wrote: »
    You should give your PS3 a static IP address. For that you will need the MAC address, which you can obtain from the Network Status List. Then go into your router settings and find DHCP/LAN settings, set up a static IP, enter name (PS3 or whatever, make sure not to use any spaces as this can mess with some routers), enter the MAC address and give it an IP - e.g. 192.168.1.120.

What you could also try doing - go into (PS3) Settings -> Network Settings -> Set up Connection and instead of selecting auto, you select custom and use the following settings:

IP Address: 192.168.1.120
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway/Server: 192.168.1.1
    DNS 1: 192.168.1.1
    DNS 2: [BLANK]

Thanks but i think i may have created a bigger problem. While restarting my router after the sua only thing were you ad the ip address in while i went to log back in the message
    Protected Object

This object on the Prestige 660RU-T1 is protected

came up. now i can not log into its settings?
    Does any one have any idea what i can do?

Thanks

Oh wait after a while of trying it logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is it possible to do this with a netopia router? I have the UPnP box ticked but it says not available on the ps3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I've spent an hour on this and still can't do it, I've created a static IP for the PS3 and forwarded all the ports to it but it's still NAT 3 :(

ShaneU wrote: »
    I've spent an hour on this and still can't do it, I've created a static IP for the PS3 and forwarded all the ports to it but it's still NAT 3 :(

I know same, **** it who wants a PS3 im getting an xbox.

Kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

in reply to lochy6767,If you change to nat type 1,you are able to invite friends to your party.follow the link and it should work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JugGe7CCuNU&feature=related

qc3 wrote: »
    in reply to lochy6767,If you change to nat type 1,you are able to invite friends to your party.follow the link and it should work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JugGe7CCuNU&feature=related

Sorry tried it all ready my pppoe is different coz im wit ****ty gaelic telecom:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 JTWood23

hey man i just wanted to ask you a question regarding this nat type problem ive been having, i have the Zyxel router aswell i have known about the steps you provided to change the nat type to 2 for a while now and when i preformed those steps on the router it worked the only thing is the ps3 seems to reset back to nat type 3 all on its own i dont know what the problem is, one thing i can tell you is that if i reset the router and do the steps again and turn off my laptop it stays nat type 2 but as soon as i turn my laptop back on and do a connection test on the ps3 it goes back to nat type 3 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

JTWood23 wrote: »
    hey man i just wanted to ask you a question regarding this nat type problem ive been having, i have the Zyxel router aswell i have known about the steps you provided to change the nat type to 2 for a while now and when i preformed those steps on the router it worked the only thing is the ps3 seems to reset back to nat type 3 all on its own i dont know what the problem is, one thing i can tell you is that if i reset the router and do the steps again and turn off my laptop it stays nat type 2 but as soon as i turn my laptop back on and do a connection test on the ps3 it goes back to nat type 3 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sounds like a conflict in IP delegation. Have you set up static DHCP? As in assign a dedicated internal IP address to your PS3s MAC address.

no i have not done that and i dont have a clue how to do it any help would be much appreciated

NetLink wrote: »
    Sounds like a conflict in IP delegation. Have you set up static DHCP? As in assign a dedicated internal IP address to your PS3s MAC address.
    no i havent done that and i have no clue how to do it

What's your router's model number?

• Advertisement

my router is a zyxel P-660HW-T1 v2

Advertisement