Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Vlove wrote: »
    Ah right, when's it officially closing?

I don't know, I was just passing and saw the signs, they simply said "Closing Down".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Not quite closing, but Easons is moving to Quayside shopping centre judging by the latters facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

Between Insomnia and Dealz (formerly Exhibit).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Not quite closing, but Easons is moving to Quayside shopping centre judging by the latters facebook page

that sounds good if its true - be good to have a newsagent type shop down that way, they do newspapers and that , and sweets n things dont they? - not quite a full newsagents but still good. I suppose cheaper rent and rates for them than o'connell street?

Now, if a McDonalds or Burgerking could just move into where they are when they vacate that would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

FoxyVixen wrote: »

It must be the franchise because yer man who runs Easons owns that building (and the Party Shop next door, as well as Conways in by Tesco). So if Easons are going to the Quayside (a much smaller space IIRC?) what's going where Easons is??

• Advertisement

Did the car wash guys down on the quay reopen anywhere else in Sligo? They did a great job on my car anytime I went there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Did the car wash guys down on the quay reopen anywhere else in Sligo? They did a great job on my car anytime I went there!

What happened to the Tram food stall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I think they are at the back of the petrol station in Grange. The ones there are Latvian and the timing seems to match but it seems a bit far to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

It looks like they are out in Collooney now. The place on Ballast Quay was called Auto Clean.
    Going by their facebook page the comments say they've moved. https://www.facebook.com/acautoclean/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭shanec1928

It must be the franchise because yer man who runs Easons owns that building (and the Party Shop next door, as well as Conways in by Tesco). So if Easons are going to the Quayside (a much smaller space IIRC?) what's going where Easons is??
    nothing he simply has two Eason stores now.

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    nothing he simply has two Eason stores now.

for those times when 1 Eason store is simply not enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Sligo has the highest commercial building vacancy in Ireland.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/commercial-vacancies-irish-counties-3-3564151-Aug2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sligo has the highest commercial building vacancy in Ireland.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/commercial-vacancies-irish-counties-3-3564151-Aug2017/

And to note,that's the county as a whole, Sligo town is trending worse than that:

3226896?width=700&version=3226896

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

And to note,that's the county as a whole, Sligo town is trending worse than that:

3226896?width=700&version=3226896

I think the smaller towns in the county have more going for them than Sligo town which is a poor reflection on everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I don't know, I was just passing and saw the signs, they simply said "Closing Down".

Contacted Lollypotz recently on facebook and the reason they are closing is down is because "the overheads are too high to sustain the type of business given in Sligos size". Such a shame the store is closing in a town where it needs businesses but the good news is Lollypotz still take orders online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Rents are way too high, that's why shops are vacant.

57-60k for O'Connors / Indulge restaurant, that's 1,100 per week.

Source is asking 200k, or 3,850 per week- insane.

O'Neills bar on the Mall is 300 pw, that sounds reasonable.

Geuze wrote: »
    Rents are way too high, that's why shops are vacant.

57-60k for O'Connors / Indulge restaurant, that's 1,100 per week.

Source is asking 200k, or 3,850 per week- insane.

O'Neills bar on the Mall is 300 pw, that sounds reasonable.

wow with Source, no wonder it was an expensive cookery school in an expensive spot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

when the wheels of Brexit really kick in and as time gets nearer to Britain leaving europe does anyone reckon this might have any effect on the English stores that are already in Sligo at the moment like Currys, PCworld Argos , just to name a few that have set up in Sligo. Do you reckon we will see them close down? - or any effect like certain things they wont be able to sell at the effect of Brexit or prices changing? - any effects like that?

The biggest immediate of Brexit has been the change in the exchange rate with Sterling. This has had the impact of increasing the prices of items in the UK. One item I was tracking recently is the Nest Smoke Alarm.

This was 89 GBP a year ago. I was in Derry the weekend and one shop had it at 99 GBP (Maplin) and Argos UK had it at 109 GBP. The price in PC World Sligo has maintained at 129 EURO.

So costs have not risen here, but are creeping up in the UK as Sterling loses value.

Argos Ireland http://www.checkargos.com/product/5782419

Argos UK http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5782419

Maplin UK https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nest-protect-2nd-generation-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-detector-wired-a45tr

Amazon UK (Was 89) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nest-Protect-Generation-Carbon-Monoxide/dp/B00ZC5FJ40

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Although it's correct that weaker GBP means that impost costs into the UK will rise, that will take time, as supply chains adjust.

In the short term, weaker GBP means import costs from UK into Ireland have fallen sharply.

This puts Irish domestic businesses under pressure.

Unique Fitness studio in collooney seems like it has closed down, just saw it on their fb page!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Any truth in the rumours Lillies has closed?

Mates went by on Friday and Saturday and appeared to be shut up and noticed a table quiz scheduled there next week has been cancelled due to "circumstances beyond their control".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 507 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Yep, Lillies is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

TheKBizzle wrote:
    Yep, Lillies is gone.

Just heard this today! Ragin! Liked that place (if you got in early and got a seat before it became a cattle mart haha!)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Sad to hear they pioneered the cocktail trend in the town every one followed and I'd say that tiger place ultimately closed it

sligono1 wrote: »
    Sad to hear they pioneered the cocktail trend in the town every one followed and I'd say that tiger place ultimately closed it

Yeah but I'm sure the size ended it too, you weren't able to go in if it was overcrowded. It was so small really. Decor was nice tho!

PCWorld store up at the Carraroe retail park is closing down .......... But its only moving in with Currys up there :D (confirmed today by talking to member of staff when questioned about empty shelves)

22281342_10155224904387424_1918176228_o.jpg

22291079_10155224904397424_768058765_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

^^^Looks about as well stocked as usual. *badoom tish*

Seriously though, I would have thought the current PC World unit is better placed for this merger than Currys? Being right next to the anchor store in Homebase and all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

^^^Looks about as well stocked as usual. *badoom tish*

Seriously though, I would have thought the current PC World unit is better placed for this merger than Currys? Being right next to the anchor store in Homebase and all.

Currys is a much bigger store though. The PC World is tiny in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Hopefully they have not done a staff cull. There are one or two staff there that know their stuff quite well and are very good. Especially the young lady who started there last year.

• Advertisement

it only makes sense I suppose having the both under one roof , same company after all - hope the PC World unit wont be empty for too long after they move out.

really what that retail park could do with for them empty units are 'pop-up' shops until permanent traders can be found for the units at least it would be better than lying empty like that for so long, its not a very good image all those units that are empty like that

Advertisement