Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Merge]There has been talk before... Snowdome

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

feck, not happy with this one. How is this country ever to recover economically if people who want to create jobs are stopped from doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Hey Guys,

Just a bit of info for you. As you may be aware the IDA objected to this project going ahead. Well today (23rd Feb) Fingal Co Co refuseed planning permission for this Ski Centre. The planners report will be on their website tomorrow.

I think this is terrible news, what the hell is wrong with this country.

Complete fcukin morons!! why would anyone object to something that would create employment directly and indirectly,get a spark(although small)going in the consturction industry and create a bit of happiness and excitement in such miserable times for this country.
    I swear they try to make this place as miserable as possible,why anyone would want to come over here is beyond me-earlier closing times for pubs and nightclubs,one of the most expensive places in europe to buy booze and complete lack of leisure activities!!

Id love to hear the reasoning behind the rejection

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If it was that the developers had pulled out now then I could maybe understand it, although it would take a couple of years to complete probably and things would(?) have turned around again by then. Why it would get denied permission now though I don't get, surely they should be apporving anything that is going to generate jobs if there are people there willing to spend the money to create them?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Ive heard many excuses over here by residential groups representing tenants of areas and ive heard some of the worst,progress hampering excuses!
    The development in Ballsbridge that was meant to go ahead which would have created hundreds/thousands of jobs and spin off jobs was blocked by residents of the area as the building would impede sunlight????
    Please tell me the amout of sunlight we actually get here in dublin.

I think the project would be a resounding success,there are so many people 'who arent sure' whether they like a ski holiday and so arent willing to spend the cash,what better way to find out if youd like it than to have a go on teh indoor slope.
    How many parents woulsd want their kids to learn at a young age and be proficient before going on holidays?
    How many people would want to learn new tricks,how to go on rails ,boxes etc out there and keep your level at a certain standard,and considering most people go skiing once a year,this wouldnt be possible.
    An awful shame if this project doenst go ahead and it just further emphasises our image as being backward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Damn this would have been a great amenity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

The reason they were giving initially was incorrect zoning of the land. They were claiming this would take up too much retail or residential space. Can't recall which. Either ways, they are things the country doesn't need more of.

Typical lack of foresight. They say that the downturn would also result in less people using it. Eh, wtf??! Would it not be the exact opposite with more having to use it as they can't afford holidays?! Imbibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

Well if the land isn't zoned appropriately, they can apply to have it re-zoned (which usually doesn't succeed) or change the plans to fit in with the zoning and re-apply for planning permission. Hopefully, one of those goes ahead and works out. I wonder how it was out of zoning requirements / what was actually supposed to go there. The funny thing about those plans is that it isn't just one kind of thing (ie retail or entertainment) but an amalgamation of many different things.

The IDA (a government organisation tasked with seeking foreign investment to drive economic expansion and job creation) objecting to the creation of jobs through an expansionary investment... you couldn't make it up. They must have objected because they had hoped to use the same patch of land in the future for some as yet non-existing foreign investor creating white collar jobs as opposed to the lower wage jobs the snowdome complex would create.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Hopefully the investors won't now pull out .... Ireland needs this..... and so do I !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

As someone hoping to take up snowboarding I would love to see something like this or the Newtownmountkennedy development go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

its dissapointing to read actuly its really crap...

but those ski centers are big and struturely ugly....

so infairness i can see the points how ever being as i love to plank its a bit dissapointing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

but those ski centers are big and struturely ugly..

To be honest snowmonkey it would be no more ugly than all those "fancy" shopping centres or industrial estates scattered all over Dublin.

To be honest snowmonkey it would be no more ugly than all those "fancy" shopping centres or industrial estates scattered all over Dublin.

true but to the people who dont ski or snowboard and in worse case BLADE.
    why should they have something that will not help them in any way ?
    I think your missing the bigg picture
    a shoping center provides work etc
    to work in a snow dome you need liftys snowboard instructer's, ski and board tec's etc thats spechilised work!

granted it would be great for all snowsports to have somethign like thta something for us to do where where no in our snowy place's ...
    I would of thaught they would of put it in an industrial area as it would'nt look so out of place,....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Listen lads things rarely get through planning first time, especially something as unusual as this. Almost all buildings go in for planning, get rejected, and then get resubmitted with a couple of floors taken off the top, entrances in different places, different arrangements etc. Some sites would have a history of over a dozen applications before building finally goes ahead.

The planners report will state clearly why it has been rejected and then the developer will be able to consult with him as to what way/changes are necessary for it to go forward.

If its a refusal that seems unjust the developer can also appeal to an bord planeala, although it can cost several thousand to do this so they will probably just alter the design and resubmit.

While nearby residents will almost always write in objections on the grounds of sunlight being blocked and how they dont like this that and the other the actual reasons buildings are rejected are generally decent enough and can be resolved.

Dont lose the faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

As far as i know, there was going to be shops in the complex aswell. There will need to be places for the workers to get lunch ect... So cafés would have been built, people using the place would want to be able to have lunch, parents leaving their kids there might want a cup of caffee/tea and a cake or something, so i guess that gives even more reason to have a few cafés around.

This would generate a lot more job than those that more obviously spring to mind.
    You really have to think deeper into it.

Hopefully on second aplication it will be accepted, i think it would be great.
    People that did not even think about snowboarding/skiing before would concider it because the complex is there and so handy.

I for one know plenty of people who would probably use it regularly.
    I'm not giving up faith. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

Is there really much chance of getting the planning through? The reason it was rejected was because of zoning, is there any way around this??

I was actually thinking of this the other day.

The zoning is for research as far as i know, so i was thinking, how about during closing time, they let some one use the ski feilds for some sort of research, anything to do with sub zero tempetures?
    Maybe the army could even use it to test new camping equiptment?

There was loads running through my head but i can't for the life of me pull it up right now.

Alternitivly, they could just find a new spot.
    The northside is so flat, they shouldn't have TO much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

There's fairly long thread about it floating about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 donnchadhc

Landa2 wrote: »

To be fair to the IDA, they have a point. There's no point in putting this thing in place unless there are good acces points that won't infringe on the local community. Plus I personally think it would ruin the experience if it took you an hour to get in and out of the place! Its great to see actual thought going into the Irish planning process :D Hope they find some compromise though, it'd be a great facility to have.

• Advertisement

Signed it, DO THE SAME!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 G Dog

Does anyone know if there has been any further discussions/progress regarding any of these proposals to build a snowdome in Ireland? I say we hit up the chap who owns Tayto Park to build one!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Centre Parcs might be a better option, they seem to have loads of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

If Fattes was still around he could give a full update but to my knowledge most of the ones in the UK struggle to make a profit. I'm sure one here would have the same struggles if not more. One in Northern Ireland might be a better bet, but that's just a guess I would love to see one on this island. Have traveled multiple times just to visit UK and Dutch fridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Centre Parcs might be a better option, they seem to have loads of money.

I actually thought that was an April Fools, but still in the news today so looks like there's some truth in it!!

I would travel anywhere in the island of Ireland for a snowdome! Prefer Dublin though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Well my company is now developing a massive manufacturing plant on the site that was last proposed for the Snowdome.. I have mixed feelings / thoughts on this. Heart says Snowdome, head says salary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

granty1987 wrote: »
    Well my company is now developing a massive manufacturing plant on the site that was last proposed for the Snowdome.

Spoilsports :(

Doubt Ireland has the population to support a snowdome anyway. Most of them look awful too, 150 mtrs long, or so. The only one you could use, and stay sane, would be Landgraff.

Wow, the Landgraff one looks amazing! Stop being negative everyone - let's get our ****ty Irish version and be happy with it! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

G Dog wrote: »
    Wow, the Landgraff one looks amazing! Stop being negative everyone - let's get our ****ty Irish version and be happy with it! :-)

Isn't there some sort of a slippery thing in Cork that opened a few years back?

Edit: yes, here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB9j5gUfrTQ#t=12

Advertisement