Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons I don't believe in God.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

There's a reason John Lennon's "Imagine" is up there with the best songs of all tiime consistently in polls.

I always thought it was beacause he was one of the Beatles and was really good a writting songs to get into the charts. It was his job.

I didnt read anything about John Lennon giving his possesions away but did read about him giving donations to dodgy organisations.But he only gave away a small amount.

It seems to be the catholic church the OP is against.

As for the Bible not being well written -thats subjective. give me Andy McNab before James Joyce anyday.

I often think that Chistianity is too simple for lots of people and it doesnt work for them because they cant make it complicated enough.

UU wrote: »
    So many atheists do tend to disbelieve in many different ways but many seem to forget a lot is in philosophical ways. Of course, the likes of Dawkins would be seen as more scientific than philosophical.

I suppose it's due to my view of the world. The fact is Sartre says that "existence precedes essence" or "subjectivity" in that we aren't like the paper-cutter which is created by a creator but that we are thrown into the world (existence) and we define who we are after (essence). That is, our choices are a reflection on our existence. Furthermore, for the existentialist the fact that God doesn't exist is particularly distressing because that means there are no set values. Morality and ethics become "ambiguous" as Simone de Beauvoir goes on to say. That is only touching the surface by the way. Philosophy especially existentialism is a very hard subject to understand fully. But Philosophy should be distinguished from religion in that a lot of philosophy has been deep rooted in scepticism..

A huge issue but summarised beautifully by you. That Christians(me included) cannot understand from where atheists derive morals from is a huge issue.

Dawkins on the other hand says God is unlikely - and his attempts at morals and philosophy are fairly gauche.

No doubt we disagree - the philosophy of religion is a facinating area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

CDfm wrote: »
    A huge issue but summarised beautifully by you. That Christians(me included) cannot understand from where atheists derive morals from is a huge issue.

Atheists (me included) cannot understand where Christians derive morals from is a huge issue also.

pH wrote: »
    Atheists (me included) cannot understand where Christians derive morals from is a huge issue also.
    It looks like .UU wrote it rhetorically.it is a very succint summary of the existentialist dilemma.

AnywaY - whatever your belief have wishing everyone a great Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

People's inherent stupidity.

I don't know what's stupider, believing in God or Marxism. I'd have to go with Marxism:pac:

• Advertisement

Valmont wrote: »
    I don't know what's stupider, believing in God or Marxism. I'd have to go with Marxism:pac:
    Definately -no pressies for you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

CDfm wrote: »

Dawkins on the other hand says God is unlikely - and his attempts at morals and philosophy are fairly gauche.

No doubt we disagree - the philosophy of religion is a facinating area.

It looks like .UU wrote it rhetorically.it is a very succint summary of the existentialist dilemma.

AnywaY - whatever your belief have wishing everyone a great Christmas.
    Hey. Well thanks but I'm not endorsing the idea of God either because if God does exist, then humans are not free, or at least don't accept their full inherent freedom (bad faith). After all, essence does not precede exist existence. The very reason morals are ambiguous is because there is no creator, no lawgiver and that is something we have to accept. But to me, the fact that there is no God means that we are thrown into the world and we are faced with choice and we cannot escape from this. But to the existentialist, the only moral which we can say can hold universally is in fact the Golden Rule "treat others as you yourself would like to treated". Sartre accepted this.

Although even religious people I find are also caught in such a dilemma. Because many will accept only some morals and not others from whatever holy scripture. So it's a pick-and-choose situation. And then there are many other issues. The difference though is that the existentialist accepts that morals are ambiguous whereas the religious person will often accept that they're handed down by a god without realising the ambiguity of that situation.

A good essay by Sartre is "Existentialism and Human Emotions". Btw, have a Good Christmas, Midwinter, Saturnalia or whatever you call it! ;)

Advertisement