Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most embarresing thing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Nuggles wrote: »
    Where did you get that term? I don't think it was a a reliable source. . . Masturbation is "glacaireacht" in Irish, officially, unofficially it's something along the lines of "ag cuimilt do pholl/do phód"

"Féintruailliú" and I'm quoting the English-Irish version of the "An Gúm" dictionaries (Big ones, my teachers use them :))

Your one means, "Handling/Touching/Grasping" and while it does translate, I think "Self Corruption" is a little better:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I was sitting on the (low) wall of a school waiting for my mate to come out from having his dinner. I start leaning back but lean a bit too far and end up on my back, feet on top of the wall and...my pants around my ankles :eek:

Thankfully there was no one around.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Fad wrote: »
    "Féintruailliú" and I'm quoting the English-Irish version of the "An Gúm" dictionaries (Big ones, my teachers use them :))

*cough* focal.ie

"The national terminology database for Irish, developed by Fiontar, DCU
    with funding from Foras na Gaeilge"

Up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

*cough* focal.ie

"The national terminology database for Irish, developed by Fiontar, DCU
    with funding from Foras na Gaeilge"

Up to date.

yeah, it does say that on focal. But speaking as someone who goes to DCU and knows many of the people in Fiontar, I wouldn't call Focal entirely uptodate or the last word in translations. The De Bhaldraithe and O Dhonaill dictionaries predate focal by quite a bit, and not all of their translations are on focal, but some day they will be, it's an ongoing project, not a finished product.

Personally I prefer feintruailliu, cos like a lot of 'newage' irish words it's highly intuitive and meaningful, and fun to say :) I think both words are acceptable though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

tribulus wrote: »
    I was sitting on the (low) wall of a school waiting for my mate to come out from having his dinner. I start leaning back but lean a bit too far and end up on my back, feet on top of the wall and...my pants around my ankles :eek:

Thankfully there was no one around.

jeez you got lucky:o

• Advertisement

Up to date.

Up to date, but still not exactly correct :)

C'mon say I pulled the rope/I grasped the rope etc, it still has another meaning.

My one has been formed from other words in the language, and couldnt be confused for something else.

My one has been formed from other words in the language, and couldnt be confused for something else.

So You think that everyone would get masturbation from "self pollution"?

I would sooner think self harm than masturbation, or perhaps being drunk :)

Féintruailliú is out of date as a word. Glacaireacht, while clearly one of those new Irish words that are come up with by what I only assume to be odd balls, would be more correct in a professional setting.

If you're going to do something, do it right. . .

So You think that everyone would get masturbation from "self pollution"?

I would sooner think self harm than masturbation, or perhaps being drunk :)

Féintruailliú is out of date as a word. Glacaireacht, while clearly one of those new Irish words that are come up with by what I only assume to be odd balls, would be more correct in a professional setting.

*whines about people ignoring my post above*

Seriously, in any setting, but especially a professional setting, people will have a strong enough vocabulary to understand both words, and IMO both words are equally acceptable. If ye like I can survey my fiontar buddies... In fact I think I will anyway for fun...

'so... Cad ab fhearr leat? beagainin feintruailliu no roinnt mhaith glacaireacht? eh?'

(this stupid laptop doesn't do fadas! :( )

If your going to do some thing, do it right? So use authentic Irish maybe, rather than using made-y uppy crap like "Fuair mé teics" or something along those lines............

cocoa wrote: »
    *whines about people ignoring my post above*

Seriously, in any setting, but especially a professional setting, people will have a strong enough vocabulary to understand both words, and IMO both words are equally acceptable. If ye like I can survey my fiontar buddies... In fact I think I will anyway for fun...

'so... Cad ab fhearr leat? beagainin feintruailliu no roinnt mhaith glacaireacht? eh?'

(this stupid laptop doesn't do fadas! :( )

alt+e=é should work.........unless it doesnt have an alt key, then yer fúcked

Please survey them :)

• Advertisement

alt+e=é should work.........unless it doesnt have an alt key, then yer fúcked

Please survey them :)

yes it has both an alt and an alt gr or angry alt key, but I'm using ubuntu and I have thus far been too lazy to properly configure the keyboard. Admittedly, I should really learn their ASCII numbers and use that old trick but... well laziness strikes again....

Authentic Irish? Languages evolve, new words come into play. Move with the times.Can you guess why it was changed from féintruailliú? And why glacaireacht may have become more PC to use?

And how would you go about saying you got a text message with out using "makey uppy crap" exactly?

Authentic Irish? Languages evolve, new words come into play. Move with the times.Can you guess why it was changed from féintruailliú? And why glacaireacht may have become more PC to use?

And how would you go about saying you got a text message with out using "makey uppy crap" exactly?

'Ghlac me teachtaireacht teics' would be a start...

'teachtaireacht téacs'

And that isn't considered "makey uppy crap"?

Do you realise that phrase was pulled out of thin air when mobile phones came into the world?

But that's considered "authentic" to you?

And that isn't considered "makey uppy crap"?

Do you realise that phrase was pulled out of thin air when mobile phones came into the world?

But that's considered "authentic" to you?

cheers for loaning me the fada :) My instinct was to stick with teics cos it was a ginideach but it's been years since i did this stuff properly so... Well I don't know about that :)

As far as I know, both the words teachtaireacht and teacs existed in irish and meant message and text respectively long, though perhaps not too long, before mobile phones appeared. Also, in my own opinion, this makes it authentic, Fad may have a totally different opinion and I do not represent him :)

Ríomhphoist wasn't in the language, neither were words like Teileafónaíocht or deifnídeach. They were made up, but they're authentic Irish words.

Move with the times people!

Ríomhphoist wasn't in the language, neither were words like Teileafónaíocht or deifnídeach. They were made up, but they're authentic Irish words.

Move with the times people!

fair enough, and I'm not contesting that. But what's the problem with accepting both feintruailliu and glacaireacht? Considering that among the majority of irish speakers De Bhaildrithe and O Dhonaill hold the same amount of if not more sway or power in their minds as focal.ie does. You can cry authenticity all you like but in the end, if a word is literally used by the speakers, then the word is valid...

Considering that among the majority of irish speakers De Bhaildrithe and O Dhonaill hold the same amount of if not more sway or power in their minds

oh that's so wrong it hurts. Dictionaries don't sway how Irish speakers speak.
    De Bhaldraithe and Ó Dhonaill have words, and native Irish speakers look to them for technical words. But in reality native Irish speakers say "tá póit orm" before they say whatever is in the dictionary for hungover.

I'm just saying féintruailliú is out of date, I mean you don't say thou and thee any more do you? And calling an Irish word more "authentic" than another is a tad ridiculous.

oh that's so wrong it hurts. Dictionaries don't sway how Irish speakers speak.
    De Bhaldraithe and Ó Dhonaill have words, and native Irish speakers look to them for technical words. But in reality native Irish speakers say "tá póit orm" before they say whatever is in the dictionary for hungover.

I'm just saying féintruailliú is out of date, I mean you don't say thou and thee any more do you? And calling an Irish word more "authentic" than another is a tad ridiculous.

indeed it is, almost as ridiculous as immediately questioning someone else's sources and calling them unreliable and specifically pointing toward your word as being 'official' and then requesting that everyone use your word...

If you think dictionaries don't matter, I'd have to disagree in this case as I doubt many speakers would immediately know the word for masturbation and the same argument can be used against focal, but even so that's still fine, because people do use feintruailliu in spoken irish, you've met three of them in this thread...

Also, comparison with thee and thou? feintruailliu is still in use today, it's not from Shakespearean times...

indeed it is, almost as ridiculous as immediately questioning someone else's sources and calling them unreliable and specifically pointing toward your word as being 'official' and then requesting that everyone use your word...

If you think dictionaries don't matter, I'd have to disagree in this case as I doubt many speakers would immediately know the word for masturbation and the same argument can be used against focal, but even so that's still fine, because people do use feintruailliu in spoken irish, you've met three of them in this thread

I questioned sources because it was out of date, and something out of date is hardly reliable, is it? I didn't request people use the word glacaireacht, I just said it was more correct in an official setting, which it is.

In spoken Irish, as in two native speakers(or even two people with a good grasp on the language) speaking it, féintruailliú isn't used, not in conversation, neither is glacaireacht.There are phrases for it but that word isn't commonly used. It would be like you throwing the word "pandiculation" into conversation instead yawning.

And mentioning how you looked up the word masturbation in a dictionary doesn't mean you use it in conversation often. Most likely telling someone about looking it up in the dictionary was the first and last time someone used it in conversation.

• Advertisement

I questioned sources because it was out of date, and something out of date is hardly reliable, is it? I didn't request people use the word glacaireacht, I just said it was more correct in an official setting, which it is.

Where are you getting this out of date from? How can you call a word out of date simply by looking at it? Simply because it's not on focail? Quite the reverse would be true as I understand it, as most of the knowledge in De Bhaildrithe and O Dhonaill should appear on focal eventually, and yes, it is currently missing many translations which are present in the above texts.
    In spoken Irish, as in two native speakers(or even two people with a good grasp on the language) speaking it, féintruailliú isn't used, not in conversation, neither is glacaireacht.There are phrases for it but that word isn't commonly used. It would be like you throwing the word "pandiculation" into conversation instead yawning.

It still seems very strange to me that you speak so factually. How exactly do you know what all the native speakers do? Masturbation isn't commonly used either...
    And mentioning how you looked up the word masturbation in a dictionary doesn't mean you use it in conversation often. Most likely telling someone about looking it up in the dictionary was the first and last time someone used it in conversation.

Ok, yes, there are native irish speakers, but as far as I can see, the largest group of irish speakers currently exists inside gaelscoils, where the above texts will be used and you will, occasionally, encounter the word feintruailliu.

I still don't see why you refuse to accept the two words on the same level :confused: They are both cited in well respected sources...

I can't say what I do exactly, but this can stuff comes into it. So officially, as in a press statement by a government agency glacaireacht would be used.
    Isn't it obvious that féintruailliú is out of date? I mean look at what it suggests, don't think it would be considered correct to use nowadays in this much less Catholic country. Do you know they've changed words like bangharda,and banaltra so that they're PC now? And I'm pretty sure De bhalraithe hasn't updated that as of yet.

In the gaeilscoils?Are we forgetting the auld gaeltachtaí?

I'm fairly confident about being able to say native Irish speakers wouldn't used féintruailliú, seeing as I am one,and at this moment in my life speak Irish around 90% of the time, and to be honest have most of my life and having worked with people from all the different Gaeltachtaí at some point.

I can't say what I do exactly, but this can stuff comes into it. So officially, as in a press statement by a government agency glacaireacht would be used.
    Isn't it obvious that féintruailliú is out of date? I mean look at what it suggests, don't think it would be considered correct to use nowadays in this much less Catholic country. Do you know they've changed words like bangharda,and banaltra so that they're PC now? And I'm pretty sure De bhalraithe hasn't updated that as of yet.

In the gaeilscoils?Are we forgetting the auld gaeltachtaí?

I'm fairly confident about being able to say native Irish speakers wouldn't used féintruailliú, seeing as I am one,and at this moment in my life speak Irish around 90% of the time, and to be honest have most of my life and having worked with people from all the different Gaeltachtaí at some point.

Nope, not forgetting the gaeltachtai, just mentioning another cross-section of irish-speakers.

I will admit that I see you're point about PC-ness and I do recall being amused at the introduction of 'altra' instead of 'banaltra'. I guess you could think it was un PC because it has negative connotations and in this day and age not many would be brave enough to claim negative effects of an auld ****. But PC means protecting people's feelings etc / not offending people (especially minority groups), not outlawing every word that has negative connotations.

I also struggle to imagine what a government agency would be mentioning in regards to masturbation, although the idea is amusing :)

I do however, bow down to your far superior knowledge of native speakers and acknowledge that the word has not got much to stand on in terms of 'the people speak it, therefore it's ok'.

I will also admit that, if it ever was discussed, in a professional setting as you so aptly put it, they would probably use glacaireacht.

And after all that, I'm still going to use feintruailliu just to be awkward and because I find the word, altogether, much more amusing :) It may be out of date, but not by that much and I can't imagine why that would stop me enjoying one of the little quirks of the language :)

My favourite Irish word is puit.

Which won't get asterisked out despite it's offensive nature.

Puit puit puit. . . .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Wow, the first Clearasil & Hormones troll, ain't it cute!
    I didn't know a thread about the embarrassing stories of posters could turn into one man's mission to re-write the Irish language.
    Then again, that does sound like a pretty embarrassing story...

And after all that, I'm still going to use feintruailliu just to be awkward and because I find the word, altogether, much more amusing :) It may be out of date, but not by that much and I can't imagine why that would stop me enjoying one of the little quirks of the language :)

Its got a better story to it, I mean come on, its Irish, the relevance/moderness of the words isnt exactly a key issue when it come to the language.

I love Irish and ridiculous things like this are what make it so special for me :D

lol, woops... :(

I want to know what puit is, and after all that, I currently only have focal available to me :(

Back on topic...

I guess this one really belongs here, although it's really not that embarrassing, really... but anyway... *glances at username*

When I was an itty-bitty first year in secondary school, I noticed that some people (idunno, maybe 2....) brought in flasks of hot drinks for lunch. Not to be outdone, I started bringing in a flask of hot chocolate (yes, catching on now aren't you?), and on the second day, I spilled some on my beautiful school collar. Someone called me cocoa and it has stuck, astonishingly well, ever since.

Hey níl tada níos measa ná droch ghaeilge.

Saibhreas teanga agus a sin.

And what's this one man business?

Sexist bastard.

Oh puit won't be in any dictionary. . . it means the same as cunús which sounds a bit like that in English.

Let's see embarrassing stories. .

Probably calling the teacher Mum al those years ago.

• Advertisement

Hey níl tada níos measa ná droch ghaeilge.

Saibhreas teanga agus a sin.

And what's this one man business?

Sexist bastard.

Oh come on, there's a few things worse than bad irish... ermm... The english? :pac::P

Oh damn, going off-topic again... And I'm very rapidly running out of embarrassing stories. Not that I'm not embarrassing, I just have a terrible memory... emm...

ohh, it means that... Excellent! *adds to vocabulary sheet for grinds* :)

Oh, yeah, ok. Anytime I'm asked to give a campus tour counts as embarrassing. See, every single time, he introduces us with our course, and then what we do, and I'm always the clown! :( 'And cocoa is a bit of a clown, he's in jugglesoc' [I'm the chair'] ' Yeah whatever...' He always gets the chair of pokersoc right... grumble grumble...

Advertisement