Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Euro hits 92p Sterling today!!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

copacetic wrote: »
    but thats cargiant, prices are already rock bottom, similar to autoquake. At a bmw dealer you will get 5% off by just calling up and would easily get another 3% off. I'm sure a tight scot like you could talk your way into 10-15% coming up to year end.

all the 08 bmws are still with dealers and they are pretty desperate to shift over there too.

Copacetic, can you pm me the names of the BMW dealers that will give you 8% off?!! Im have been onto tens and tens of dealers in UK over past 6 months and offered to transfer money that day and the most they would do is 100-300 pounds. I get the same answer most of the time, the price is on the screen. The prices in UK are literally rock bottom. The dealers are actually losing money on these cars at these prices, but they make money back with end of year bonuses for units sold. There is a distinct difference between Irish and UK car dealers in this regard. I have not spoken to one person who would discount the car by the figures your quoting. I dont think its my negiotation skills either, this is coming from a man who has traded in 2nd hand cars for one new one in Ireland next year and still got fantastic prices! Not withstanding this, there are still savings to be made hence the reason Im looking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Matt Simis wrote: »

Im of the rather logical POV that with the falling value of sterling, cars in the UK (and other goods) are now cheaper than ever. I simply do not believe dealers here are dropping car prices in line with the sterling drop due to the fact the majority of Irish people are too scared by the "mysterious" VRT men and the evil English robbing Paddy blind, there is simply no need.

just looking at a car in NI (i live in donegal so no biggie to go over ) the main dealer in donegal wants twice the price for the same car (thats including vrt etc) its a no brainer at the moment dealers are just going to have to drop prices to sell. i did find a car similiarly priced (with more miles ) in wexford but its prob a uk import anyway might as well by from a main dealer in NI.

so i agree i see no evidence of dealers even on the border trying to match prices, every time i've been into one they come out wiith the phrase " what it owes me" (the car) you know what i dont care what you paid for it not my problem.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Brewster wrote: »
    Copacetic, can you pm me the names of the BMW dealers that will give you 8% off?!! Im have been onto tens and tens of dealers in UK over past 6 months and offered to transfer money that day and the most they would do is 100-300 pounds. I get the same answer most of the time, the price is on the screen. The prices in UK are literally rock bottom. The dealers are actually losing money on these cars at these prices, but they make money back with end of year bonuses for units sold. There is a distinct difference between Irish and UK car dealers in this regard. I have not spoken to one person who would discount the car by the figures your quoting. I dont think its my negiotation skills either, this is coming from a man who has traded in 2nd hand cars for one new one in Ireland next year and still got fantastic prices! Not withstanding this, there are still savings to be made hence the reason Im looking!!

what % is that you are being offerred? I should say that I am talking about the discount on nearly new BMWs in dealers, priced at around 22-25k. Vines of Gatwick for instance is one you could try. Astle in Grimsby also. I'm talking about direct expereience of 3 series coupes, not 520s if that makes a difference

If you have been watching prices you will have seen them come down quickly in some dealers and not so quickly in others. Unless a dealer is the cheapest and has just dropped prices, then I have always been able to get them to 8%, and 10% in a couple of cases. It can be hard to negotiate over the phone as they don't initially take you seriously, but keep at it, and be ready to pay a deposit over the phone straight away.

what % is that you are being offerred? I should say that I am talking about the discount on nearly new BMWs in dealers, priced at around 22-25k. Vines of Gatwick for instance is one you could try. Astle in Grimsby also. I'm talking about direct expereience of 3 series coupes, not 520s if that makes a difference

If you have been watching prices you will have seen them come down quickly in some dealers and not so quickly in others. Unless a dealer is the cheapest and has just dropped prices, then I have always been able to get them to 8%, and 10% in a couple of cases. It can be hard to negotiate over the phone as they don't initially take you seriously, but keep at it, and be ready to pay a deposit over the phone straight away.

Thanks Copacetic. One guy yesterday said he wouldn't talk seriously about a price over the phone! So some are harder than others to engage. I guess they get so many tyre kickers. I was looking at a three series coupe as well as it happens! But if the car was advertised at 24,750 and you got him down to 22,500 then fair play. My brother bought a car too during the year and he got 500 off, 26.5 down to 26. I was not in a position to buy when I had many of these conversations, maybe this comes accross!

Thanks Copacetic. One guy yesterday said he wouldn't talk seriously about a price over the phone! So some are harder than others to engage. I guess they get so many tyre kickers. I was looking at a three series coupe as well as it happens! But if the car was advertised at 24,750 and you got him down to 22,500 then fair play. My brother bought a car too during the year and he got 500 off, 26.5 down to 26. I was not in a position to buy when I had many of these conversations, maybe this comes accross!

You just have to keep at it or wait them out. They are offering 18k or lower on trade ins for say a 320d msport in the UK and the one year old average value is at 21k. The one you are looking at should be buyable for 22k really, they probably took it in for 20k recently or if not it has been sitting on their lot for months.

You need to have the money ready and be willing to move straight away before you have these conversations, otherwise you will struggle over the phone alright. Check out some of the price threads at e90post.com, there is a UK section there.

• Advertisement

You just have to keep at it or wait them out. They are offering 18k or lower on trade ins for say a 320d msport in the UK and the one year old average value is at 21k. The one you are looking at should be buyable for 22k really, they probably took it in for 20k recently or if not it has been sitting on their lot for months.

You need to have the money ready and be willing to move straight away before you have these conversations, otherwise you will struggle over the phone alright. Check out some of the price threads at e90post.com, there is a UK section there.

Will do that. Take one car msport coup, its new 100 miles on clock, registered in Dec 08. Its registered to garage to meet sales targets for bonus payments etc. The recommended retail price of the car is around 32k give or take. Stratstone are advertising car at 24,900k. They tell me they are selling this car at a serious loss and theres no further room for negiotation. Do you believe that car could be bought for 23k? I honestly dont know, but Im glad I am having this conversation eitherway!

Will do that. Take one car msport coup, its new 100 miles on clock, registered in Dec 08. Its registered to garage to meet sales targets for bonus payments etc. The recommended retail price of the car is around 32k give or take. Stratstone are advertising car at 24,900k. They tell me they are selling this car at a serious loss and theres no further room for negiotation. Do you believe that car could be bought for 23k? I honestly dont know, but Im glad I am having this conversation eitherway!

No, actually not that one. Compare that to another 2008 model on 8 months old with 10k miles on 08 plates at same price though, their are a fair few of them on auc site. If a 100 mile one is 24.9 then how much should there be to move on a 10k mile one at same price?

Remember to allow the VAT cost if you buy that one..

No, actually not that one. Compare that to another 2008 model on 8 months old with 10k miles on 08 plates at same price though, their are a fair few of them on auc site. If a 100 mile one is 24.9 then how much should there be to move on a 10k mile one at same price?

Remember to allow the VAT cost if you buy that one..

Thanks. Ah yeah thats fair enough. That car is priced to sell isnt it? Its an excellent price I feel. Still be a 2008 car though even though its new. I totally agree if a car has been sitting on forecourt for months there is more room. I have been specifically looking at new or nearly new where I suspect there is less room for extra discounts. I am aware of VAT issue. Thanks.

Thanks. Ah yeah thats fair enough. That car is priced to sell isnt it? Its an excellent price I feel. Still be a 2008 car though even though its new. I totally agree if a car has been sitting on forecourt for months there is more room. I have been specifically looking at new or nearly new where I suspect there is less room for extra discounts. I am aware of VAT issue. Thanks.

yep, stunning price. nearest equivalent here is the 2008 grey one in galway with 500 miles for 49k
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1239224

Advertisement