Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Euro hits 92p Sterling today!!

Options
  • 17-12-2008 4:37pm

Where is it going to stop! The way thing are going they could hit 1:1 which was unbelievable a while back. Its really going to show up VRT now when the VRT on more and more cars being of equal value or more than the purchase price of the car. To think the exchange rate was only around 70p to the euro when I bought my car. Im afraid to work out how much less I would have paid for the car on exchange rate alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

VRT and Stamp Duty are dirty cash cows. The government would give a rats about making changes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The falling price of Sterling is great, not just for cars either, I bought a phone for herself from the UK this morning, and the price conversion was just astonishing. :)

Berty wrote: »
    VRT and Stamp Duty are dirty cash cows. The government would give a rats about making changes to it.

I dont think anybody expects any major changes but a review of osmp's would have to be considered at some point as stuff is crazy over valued atm and is stopping us taking full advantage of the fantastic deals to be had due to the strong euro.

Your right ned78 its a great time to buy anything thats being sold in sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

How much is petrol up North nowadays? I was going to fill up here before I head up there on business tomorrow but I may just wait and fill up there. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The temptation is to spend now, but hold off, sterling is still on the slide....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The temptation is to spend now, but hold off, sterling is still on the slide....

Aye i'll give it another few weeks. I'll be on the boat then:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Heroditas wrote: »
    How much is petrol up North nowadays? I was going to fill up here before I head up there on business tomorrow but I may just wait and fill up there. :pac:

Petrol is one of the few things that is more expensive up North. I think it was 99p when I was in Enniskillen last week. Lots of Northern cars filling up in Blacklion where they have their prices in euro/sterling. it was 99c/89p there

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

If it hits even ill remortgage the gaff and go on a spending frenzy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Westwood wrote: »
    If it hits even ill remortgage the gaff and go on a spending frenzy

Haha best of luck with that!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

It was 93p a few mins ago :D

• Advertisement

Aye i'll give it another few weeks. I'll be on the boat then:D

Definitely as I said its heading for 1:1. having lived in the UK I can see the massive savings ahead. Just for a example a jumper that costs 60 euro would be 40 sterling the way things are going 40 euro will = 40 sterling.

Only thing is the massive savings for us on UK cars wont last forever, With the pound getting weaker it will be more expensive for the UK dealers to import cars so that will eventually push up the price of cars in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

I was going to buy my first car here, but the north is the place to go, now the way the exchange rates are, any tips for buying, I was looking at a skoda dealership 2nd hand cars and they are really cheap even after VRT, I presume insurance companies are well used to sorting insurance for British cars until you change them over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

See rates return to around 84p to the €1 after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

kluivert, what are you basing that on (if anything)

i'm in the market for a '08 520d and need to get a bankdraft for it. but the rates from Oirish banks are brutal compared to XE etc and they're trade system takes a good few days for everything to clear (thus robbing me of acting quick)

ANY ideas where I can get a draft at a reasonable exchange rate?

(thanks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

kluivert wrote: »

Parity (and some more) is more likely to happen before this happens.
    Think they call it benign neglect!
    The UK have already said that they will go to zero interest rates if needed where as the ECB say rates may drop below 2%.

This is primarily positive for UK economy, dearer imports mean UK produced good are more competitive. Also they have the obvious export advantage in to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

kluivert, what are you basing that on (if anything)

i'm in the market for a '08 520d and need to get a bankdraft for it. but the rates from Oirish banks are brutal compared to XE etc and they're trade system takes a good few days for everything to clear (thus robbing me of acting quick)

ANY ideas where I can get a draft at a reasonable exchange rate?

(thanks)

Can you not just pay a deposit in cash / draft and then wait for XE trade to go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

kluivert wrote: »

crystalBall1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

94.25p at this minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I want to buy a car in the UK in the next few weeks but i have NO idea where to start..
    Can someone give me some guidlines?
    Do i have to go over and get it myself or will they send it over?
    I heard you can get the AA over there to go and check the car out for you so you dont have to go over yourself..is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I'm just about to book flights to collect my car and i'd be happy to share my experiences. I got a lot of good info off the boards guide:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389

important thing is to buy the sterling at the best rate you can. i was able to haggle with BOI quoting a few different rates from different banks to get them to go from ~.91 -> .925

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

Femmy wrote: »
    I want to buy a car in the UK in the next few weeks but i have NO idea where to start..
    I heard you can get the AA over there to go and check the car out for you so you dont have to go over yourself..is that true?

They sometimes post them over in a parcel!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Why do you want to buy it in the UK have you even compared the price
    with a comparable car here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

£0.947 now, can see it hitting £1 before Xmas, more shopping for me up north :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I'm just about to book flights to collect my car and i'd be happy to share my experiences. I got a lot of good info off the boards guide:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389

important thing is to buy the sterling at the best rate you can. i was able to haggle with BOI quoting a few different rates from different banks to get them to go from ~.91 -> .925

Thank you, i'll check out that.
    xabi wrote: »
    They sometimes post them over in a parcel!
    Oh my god! so funny..but not helpful!
    Darsad wrote: »
    Why do you want to buy it in the UK have you even compared the price
    with a comparable car here
    eh..duh! yeah I have..Thanks for being concerned though.

Thats a bit of an extreme example !
    There are plenty of cars passing through auction houses at present
    for ridiculous prices and many cheaper than UK imports.Many dealers would be only too happy to sell at a loss at present to to clear down stocks especially if there is no trade in .

There are still plenty of people who can afford to pay Joe duffys high prices and just couldnt be arsed with the hassle of buying an import so I suppose he will always charge a premium.But for the rest there is plenty of value here if you look ask and haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Getting my draft on Friday, then over to pick her up on Monday.
    Can't believe how lucky I am that I hadn't gone for this car a month ago :)

Romperstomper, how did you get them to give a better rate?
    Who did you have to speak to/haggle with? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Darsad wrote: »
    Thats a bit of an extreme example !
    There are plenty of cars passing through auction houses at present
    for ridiculous prices and many cheaper than UK imports.Many dealers would be only too happy to sell at a loss at present to to clear down stocks especially if there is no trade in .

There are still plenty of people who can afford to pay Joe duffys high prices and just couldnt be arsed with the hassle of buying an import so I suppose he will always charge a premium.But for the rest there is plenty of value here if you look ask and haggle.

You're not taking into account that the prices being asked in england are exactly that, Asking prices.
    They can be haggled too ya know.

There's a HUGE difference between the Irish and UK car markets, biggest one being Ireland is a feckin rip off when it comes to buying.

Thank you, i'll check out that.

eh..duh! yeah I have..Thanks for being concerned though.

Your welcome !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

94.25p at this minute.

95.36 now!

Advertisement