Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who here has heard of Sikhism?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 S_Truth

pH wrote: »
    Pah! - Let's cut to the chase - What do Sikhs think about homosexuality?

Homosexuality is not a choice and God made some people this way and others attracted to the opposite sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MrSingh

Ok, I haven't looked at the wiki link (slaps wrist) but why do the men leave their beards to grow, is it a religious reason, or cultural?

What God is believed in? we believe in one god

How does your religion treat non-believers, be they athiest, or just a member of a different religion?
    we believe in the brotherhood of man, Sikh means student or learner.
    In Sikhism, how are women percieved and treated?
    there is no difference between men and women
    What is the view on the afterlife, soul, ghosts, angels, demons etc?
    we believe in reincarnation until the soul merges with god
    Possibly more to follow.

thank you

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Hee hee. :)

Living in England I do know a few Sikhs but only one Sikh woman very well (not that way! Minds out of the gutter please! :)).

S_Truth, can I ask about Sikh attitudes to alcohol? This woman I know gets absolutely plastered any time she is out drinking. I know Christianity would 'frown' upon it but it isn't 'forbidden' per se. Is Sikhism pretty much the same? I never want to ask her because it would be obvious why I'm asking :D

I have met a few Sikh guys (not very well) but they don't seem to take their religion seriously...they don't have beards and they were their hair tight. I have found the Sikhs I've met to be 'fun' people with great attitudes to life.

Alcohol is forbidded in the context to get some stress off the mind or try to relax in your day or get wasted, or drunk or plastered as you put it. LOL forgot one hammered. In this sense it alters the mind, which creates a bigger illusion and the person is not him/herself. Our body should not depend on alcohol to releive stress or feel an experience. This experience should come naturally without depending on any drug. Once the drug wears off your back into yourself and worse off.

Alcohol and other drugs are only permitted for medical reasons.

Go ahead and ask her and tell me her reaction, it'll be a funny response.:D

Thanks OEB

When they cannot carry a knife, are allowances made?

Do these items represent particular things?

When you say uncut hair, is this from birth?

If they cut their hair, are they considered less "Sikh"?

And, sorry for asking, but it's like a scotsman and his kilt, I just have to know - special undergarments?

I would be very interested in leaning more about that. I would be inclined to think that IF there was a divine creator, then why would he just create life on earth.

What is believed to be the relationship between us and life on other planets? Is it referred to in any of their texts? (ie. brother, friends, enemies etc). Do they maintain we will contact them, or do contct them. Are we falling dangerously close to "scientology" type areas? (no disrespect intended)

I like the fact it is not gender specific.

The more I hear about this faith the more I like it :) An open, accepting faith is great. Do they practise spiritual things like meditation, chanting etc?

And culturally, is this adhered to?

Thank you very much.
    Do these items represent particular things?

Hair uncut
    Acceptance of God's will

Wood comb
    for hygiene and the maintance of hair

Kara (bracelet)
    Reminder to behave well and restrain from wrong doings.

Kirpan (small sword)
    A reminder to stand up for righteousness and help anyone who is in need.

Kacchera (boxer shorts up to the knee)
    Reminder of high moral character and modesty.
    When you say uncut hair, is this from birth?

If they cut their hair, are they considered less "Sikh"?

Yes, not a single hair is cut.
    If the hair is cut then they are not Sikhs. Some would disagree with this point, but the fact is to be a Sikh, the Sikh must follow the principles said and written by the Gurus.
    would be very interested in leaning more about that. I would be inclined to think that IF there was a divine creator, then why would he just create life on earth.

What is believed to be the relationship between us and life on other planets? Is it referred to in any of their texts? (ie. brother, friends, enemies etc). Do they maintain we will contact them, or do contct them. Are we falling dangerously close to "scientology" type areas? (no disrespect intended)

There are many worlds in this universe that have life on them. We just don't have the science to go out and look for them. In the Hindu scriptures it says there are 18000 worlds, but there are even more than this number.

the relationship between us and life on other planets is beyond my understanding. God's creation is so huge that it is out of our understanding. One can live for centuries and centuries and still this person cannot find the limit.

Sikhs have the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, which is refered to as a Holy Scripture by some, but its not. Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is the living Guru of the Sikhs. It looks like a text has pages like a text, but its not a text at all. To understand this one has to have spiritual enlightement to some extent and have read Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

Do they practise spiritual things like meditation, chanting etc?

Sikhism is a spiritual path more than anything. A Sikh meditates early in the morning around 2am. First the Sikh meditates on the Lords name, just by repeating Waheguru. Then reads 5 morning prayers (bani) and if the Sikh wants to read more thats even better. Then at evening the Sikh reads 3 prayers and one before going to bed. Throughout the day a Sikh is told to repeat the Lords name and remember the Lord with ever breath. All of this must be done by the full devotion toward the Lord.

And culturally, is this adhered to?
    Yes

Advertisement