Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who here has heard of Sikhism?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 6:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Just a quick question to everyone: Who here has heard of a religion called Sikhism, if so then what do you know about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Yes I have heard of it.

What do I know about?
    In the words of Rev. H, since the subject is far to big to put into one post and he says it so much better than I:)
    Perhaps you should do a little research of your own first, knowledge like everything in life is all the more valuable if you obtain it yourself.

behold the Wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikhism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

I found some behind the TV with the Hoover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

An indian religion that i know very little on. Men wear turbans and never cut their hair and wear turbans. Have 5 symbols they carry including a dagger.
    Are they ALL called Singh?

The Gurda Commisioner wouldnt let a guy join without getting rid of his turban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

S_Truth wrote: »
    if so then what do you know about it?
    Under the 1976 UK motor cycle crash helmet (religious exceptions) act they're allowed to ride motorbikes without a helmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I'd be a bit concerned if people hadn't heard of the world's fifth-largest religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Fifth largest? I think not (but open to correction!!)
    Top Five (not in any particular order)
    Hindu
    Buddhist
    Christianity
    Jewish
    Islam

Is Sikh related to one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

rhapsody wrote: »
    Fifth largest? I think not (but open to correction!!)
    Top Five (not in any particular order)
    Hindu
    Buddhist
    Christianity
    Jewish
    Islam

Is Sikh related to one of these?

According to wikipedia there are more Sikh than Jews. (From a 98 article)

1 Christianity - 1.7 billion
    2 Islam - 1.3 billion
    3 Hinduism - 781 million
    4 Buddhism - 324 million
    5 Sikhism - 19 million
    6 Judaism - 14 million

See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups for more information

Sixth if you include Buddhism, but I don't really see how you can because it has no gods. I would say it's more of a philosophy, but I'm sure our Buddhist friends will shed further light on this. (I'm not sure this is the place for that discussion.)

Either way, Sikhism is quite a big faith.

Edit: Thanks oeb: so fourth-largest according to Wiki if you discount Buddhism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've only heard of it at as a choice in CyberNations (the game) - GO BAPSTERS! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

rockbeer wrote: »
    Sixth if you include Buddhism, but I don't really see how you can because it has no gods. I would say it's more of a philosophy, but I'm sure our Buddhist friends will shed further light on this. (I'm not sure this is the place for that discussion.)

It can. Er, sometimes. Er, sort of. I think the general line is that it doesn't matter whether or not there are gods.

• Advertisement

It can. Er, sometimes. Er, sort of. I think the general line is that it doesn't matter whether or not there are gods.

Probably the best religion in the world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

rockbeer wrote: »
    I'd be a bit concerned if people hadn't heard of the world's fifth-largest religion.

+1

I would expect everyone who can read to have heard of Sikhism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

CDfm wrote:
    Are they ALL called Singh?

Haha, it is common name among them!

My opinion of it is that it is one of the more benign religions, although its followers tend to be very devout.

The only other thing I have to say about it is that I think codes of practice (Garda uniform, passport photo, etc) shouldn't be bent or altered to accommodate their turbans. It isn't the codes which stops them from doing certain things, it is their religion.

Yes, all Sikh men are called Singh, and Sikh women are called Kaur.

Haha, it is common name among them!

It's more than that. All boys are given the surname, or middle name Singh at birth. All girls get the name Kaur.

EDIT:
    I was totally ninja'ed there =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 S_Truth

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Yes I have heard of it.

What do I know about?
    In the words of Rev. H, since the subject is far to big to put into one post and he says it so much better than I:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikhism

Thanks for posting everyone, the whole reason for this question is just to see how many people know about Sikhism; and it looks like not many do. I, myself am a Sikh and for starters not here to convert anyone. Neither can I convert anyone here on this site or the world because there is no such thing as conversion in Sikhism. It's either you are a Sikh or your not.

Some like using this word, conversion, because it simplify's everything when explaining Sikhism, but its misleading and it generalizes Sikhism into all the other religions in this world.

All I want to do is educate people on Sikhism because there are alot of people that see a man in a turban and with an uncut beard and the first thing that comes to their mind is TERRORIST, AL QAEDA, OSOMA BIN LADEN, names of this sort. I don't blame people either because the media drives all this generalizing into your mind that when you search your mind to see who this person is, you're fed back the names like I said above.

Sikhs also get mistaken for Muslims because of the turban and uncut beard. Another generalization that I thank the media for. The fact is todays Muslims don't wear the turban and majority of them do cut their beard. In today's world if you see a man with a turban or a women with a turban 98% of the time its a Sikh not a Muslim, terrorist, Al Qaeda, or Osoma Bin Laden.

Sikhs are peaceful people that believe in equality of all human beings. One of the purpose of a Sikh in this world is to serve humanity. Both of these principles were here at the beginning of time for us humans to realize and start practicing. Many people centuries thought of these principles as being foolish and stupid, especially equality of all human beings in India. More than 500 years ago a man named Nanak (first Guru of the Sikhs Guru Nanak Dev ji) taught the people of India and even traveled far as Iraq to teach these two principles and more. What Sikhism teaches can be summed up with this sentence, Realisation of the truth is higher than all else, but higher still is truthful living. Throughout the day we Sikhs practice truthful living and continue to until the last day on this earth. A Sikh practices this truthful living by doing three things, first by meditating on Gods name, then making an honest living and offering selfless service. All of this is done to put the soul at peace from the five (attachment, anger, lust, ego, and greed) that drive a person away from truthful living.

Attachmet
    This can be a car, house, etc anything that drives you from realizing the truth and attaches you to this world, which is an illusion.

Anger
    This blocks your thoughts and puts you into a position where you are not in control of yourself and your own actions.

Lust
    Same thing as anger, you are not in control of yourself and a person is not at ease or able to function when lust is present.

Ego
    Always thinking I I I I and not knowing ultimately I am not the doer and that humility is the key to success. Being selfish and not considering others.

Greed
    This is defined as the greed for money. Always wanting more money, never satisfied.

Anyone of these can contribute to each other and create a greater illusion.

Anyways that's somethings about Sikhism. I hope this cleared up some misconceptions about Sikhism.

Thanks for reading.

Any comments, questions that anyone has I will be more than happy to answer.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I don't know if this is the correct forum? But there are a few questions I'd like to ask.

Dades, is it ok to have this conversation here or should it be taken elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

My next door neighbour's a Sikh and one of the biggest Gurdwara's in The North of England is five minutes from my door. A fascinating faith, an interesting blend of hinduism and Islam, indeed many would argue embodies the best of both faiths while eschewing the worst e.g. the caste system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't know if this is the correct forum? But there are a few questions I'd like to ask.

Dades, is it ok to have this conversation here or should it be taken elsewhere?
    We could all learn something while you're asking.

Fire away. :)

Ok, I haven't looked at the wiki link (slaps wrist) but why do the men leave their beards to grow, is it a religious reason, or cultural?

What God is believed in?

How does your religion treat non-believers, be they athiest, or just a member of a different religion?

In Sikhism, how are women percieved and treated?

What is the view on the afterlife, soul, ghosts, angels, demons etc?

Possibly more to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Ok, I haven't looked at the wiki link ...
    Possibly more to follow.

Pah! - Let's cut to the chase - What do Sikhs think about homosexuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Sabotage wrote: »
    I've only heard of it at as a choice in CyberNations (the game) - GO BAPSTERS! :D

Hee hee. :)

Living in England I do know a few Sikhs but only one Sikh woman very well (not that way! Minds out of the gutter please! :)).

S_Truth, can I ask about Sikh attitudes to alcohol? This woman I know gets absolutely plastered any time she is out drinking. I know Christianity would 'frown' upon it but it isn't 'forbidden' per se. Is Sikhism pretty much the same? I never want to ask her because it would be obvious why I'm asking :D

I have met a few Sikh guys (not very well) but they don't seem to take their religion seriously...they don't have beards and they were their hair tight. I have found the Sikhs I've met to be 'fun' people with great attitudes to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indians have the coolest religions, Buddhism being the best religion(-ish).

Hi Helena, I am not a Sikh, but I have read up a bit on it, so I'll try and answer.
    Ok, I haven't looked at the wiki link (slaps wrist) but why do the men leave their beards to grow, is it a religious reason, or cultural?
    Baptized Sikh are bound to always wear the 5 pañj kakkē. They are 5 sacred objects that they must have with them at all time. They are, A knife (or short sword), a comb, an iron bracelet, special undergarments and uncut hair. This is one of the reasons Sikh wear the turbans, they do not normally cut their hair (although some modern younger Sikh have been known to) so it is actually tied up under it.
    What God is believed in?
    They believe in Waheguru, which means 'The wonderful teacher'. It is a monotheistic religion. Their god is omnipresent, has no specific gender, and has created life on more places than earth.
    How does your religion treat non-believers, be they athiest, or just a member of a different religion?
    From what I know people of any faith are welcome in their holy places, so by that I assume they are pretty welcoming regardless of your personal beliefs.
    Women are not mistreated in any way. (Well, not according to any specific dogma anyway)
    This I do not know.

S_Truth, I did not notice your post above, so please correct any of this if it is incorrect.

oeb wrote: »
    Baptized Sikh are bound to always wear the 5 pañj kakkē. They are 5 sacred objects that they must have with them at all time. They are, A knife (or short sword), a comb, an iron bracelet, special undergarments and uncut hair. This is one of the reasons Sikh wear the turbans, they do not normally cut their hair (although some modern younger Sikh have been known to) so it is actually tied up under it..

Thanks OEB

When they cannot carry a knife, are allowances made?

Do these items represent particular things?

When you say uncut hair, is this from birth?

If they cut their hair, are they considered less "Sikh"?

And, sorry for asking, but it's like a scotsman and his kilt, I just have to know - special undergarments?
    They believe in Waheguru, which means 'The wonderful teacher'. It is a monotheistic religion. Their god is omnipresent, has no specific gender, and has created life on more places than earth.
    I would be very interested in leaning more about that. I would be inclined to think that IF there was a divine creator, then why would he just create life on earth.

What is believed to be the relationship between us and life on other planets? Is it referred to in any of their texts? (ie. brother, friends, enemies etc). Do they maintain we will contact them, or do contct them. Are we falling dangerously close to "scientology" type areas? (no disrespect intended)

I like the fact it is not gender specific.
    From what I know people of any faith are welcome in their holy places, so by that I assume they are pretty welcoming regardless of your personal beliefs.
    The more I hear about this faith the more I like it :) An open, accepting faith is great. Do they practise spiritual things like meditation, chanting etc?
    Women are not mistreated in any way. (Well, not according to any specific dogma anyway)
    And culturally, is this adhered to?

Thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Good point. I imagine the knife might be a bit of a problem if you want to catch a flight.

And what about Monty Panesar, the cricketer? I doubt if he's allowed to wear a knife when he's playing cricket.
    And, sorry for asking, but it's like a scotsman and his kilt, I just have to know - special undergarments?
    Maybe you're thinking of Mormons?
    I was going to make a joke about chemotherapy and being more sick or less Sikh - but it would probably be in very poor taste.

Thanks OEB

I know that there are certain schools that allow the kids to have the knife as long as it has no edge and it is riveted to the sheath. Generally when on flights etc Sikh will surrender their weapon (But obviously they do not like this, it has very important meaning to them)
    Do these items represent particular things?
    Yes they all do as far as I am aware, unfortunately I don't know enough about it to comment on it though.
    When you say uncut hair, is this from birth?
    Ideally I believe.
    I don't really know, some younger Sikh do it though (To fit in more with peer groups etc)
    They look quite similar to boxer shorts, and are worn by both men and women.

Unfortunately that about hits the limit of my knowledge, I just don't know enough about the religion to comment on the rest of your questions. It's a bit difficult to draw an analogy between the Sikh articles of faith and anything that exists in the Western religions. But they are generally very important to them, they represent what it is to be Sikh.

Obviously, I could be incorrect about any of these things, but I'm sure that if I am S_Truth will put me in my place.

PDN wrote: »
    Maybe you're thinking of Mormons?
    :confused:
    PDN wrote: »
    I was going to make a joke about chemotherapy and being more sick or less Sikh - but it would probably be in very poor taste.
    tut tut - not a very christian thought :P

Unfortunately that about hits the limit of my knowledge, I just don't know enough about the religion to comment on the rest of your questions. It's a bit difficult to draw an analogy between the Sikh articles of faith and anything that exists in the Western religions. But they are generally very important to them, they represent what it is to be Sikh.

Thanks oeb.

toomevara wrote: »
    My next door neighbour's a Sikh and one of the biggest Gurdwara's in The North of England is five minutes from my door. A fascinating faith, an interesting blend of hinduism and Islam, indeed many would argue embodies the best of both faiths while eschewing the worst e.g. the caste system.

I'm glad you brought this up toomevara, Sikhism is not a blend of Hinduism and Islam. This is a common misconception about Sikhism. Nothing was taken from Islam or Hinduism to form Sikhism. Sikhism first Guru denied alot, when i say alot i mean ALOT, of Hinduism and Islams practices. For instance Muslims only bow and pray in the west direction, Mecca is to the west of India, and Guru Nanak Dev ji said to this tell me in which direction that God is not in to the Muslims. God is in all four directions and in everyone. And Hinduism, the obvious one, many Gods to where Sikhism says there is only one God.

• Advertisement

What God is believed in?

Possibly more to follow.

why do the men leave their beards to grow, is it a religious reason, or cultural?

Sikhs leave there hair uncut because this is the acceptance of God's will. To accept the way God made you, this goes for men and women. Then after this the common question is why do Sikhs cut their nails then. The answer to this is because if we don't cut our nails it will hinder us from living a householders lifestyle. Keeping hair is a religious reason.
    What God is believed in?

God is self existent, without fear, without hatred, without end, beyond birth, no gender, that lives in everything and is all around us.

God does not hate anyone or anything in this world for he creates and destroys all. If everyone would get together and speak of God, God would not become any greater or lesser. God is great as God wishes to be.

Sikhism treats everyone equally regardless of there belief. We respect that people are atheist and from other religions, even though we don't agree with what they believe.

In Sikhism women are given every right that men are given, there is no separate treatment for women. Women some what are held a bit higher because they are the ones who give birth to men and to a woman man is married.

The whole point of this life according to Sikhism is to unite the soul with God and this is when God and you are one and the same. This is done by becoming 100% pure as a Sikh by God's grace. A Sikhs whole life is devouted for the Lord. And if you choose to give into and practice, call them the five evils (attachment, anger, lust, ego, greed) then you will be judged in God's court. And depending on your actions you will be punished either just by being put back into the reincarnation cycle over again or punished by other means and then put back into the reincarnation cycle to fullfill the souls destination, which is the oneness with God. There is no heaven or hell in Sikhism. A person creates his/her own heaven or hell on this very earth by their deeds. Practice truth and one will recieve the fruits of this and if you practice falsehood then be prepared to recieve what you deserve. In Sikhism God does not punish anyone we punish ourselves by doing foolish acts.

If you got more questions just fire away

Advertisement