Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Berties S-class?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Citroen C6 2008 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

Cheers for the info HI5...makes for interesting reading:mad:

Former Taoiseach -Mr. Albert Reynolds Mercedes E240 2005

Perfectly Acceptable/Appropriate

Former Taoiseach -Dr. Garret Fitzgerald SAAB 95SE 2004

Former Taoiseach -Mr. Liam Cosgrave Ford Mondeo Ghia 2006

Perfectly Acceptable/V. Modest i.e. Living in the Real World

Former Taoiseach -Mr. Bertie Ahern Mercedes S350 2006

Pure Greed. Pure Waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

greatdeeds wrote: »
    Cheers for the info HI5...makes for interesting reading:mad:

Perfectly Acceptable/V. Modest i.e. Living in the Real World

Pure Greed. Pure Waste.

Been looking at this site on/off for the last 12mths, but not posting much so apoligies for the above. Hope my views are made somewhat clearer by the below:

Cheers for the info HI5...makes for interesting reading

Perfectly Acceptable/V. Modest. Living in the Real World

Pure Greed. Pure Waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Folks, please stick to normal colour. Black text is very hard to read for users on Cloud skin (a lot of people use Cloud).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

nialler wrote: »
    You could have this 00D with 100,000 miles on the clock for around €10,000 or probably less (mine by the way).

sclass.JPG

or you could have this for €8,950 04 Fiesta Steel with 58,000 mls on the clock:

fiesta.jpg

which would you rather have a crash/back end go out, anything really, I know which one I'd choose.

Reported. You should know by now that you won't get away with stuff like that on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Cpaw wrote: »
    Reported. You should know by now that you won't get away with stuff like that on here.

I don't think he's really trying to sell it, rather make a point FFS!

I wonder if they will keep updating the fleet what with the now economic misery. Mary Harney by the way has had her A6 upgraded to the new 2008 Xenon fancy lights one. Like the A4 when the front lights stay on all the time but the back stay off. Seen her up in Sligo in it the other day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not your call, you don't mod this forum so butt out.

Why is only new-ish users that have the "you aren't a mod, wah wah" cry when asked, nicely, to stop being a prat? Or in this case, someone else being asked not to be one!

Coloured text is prattish, leaving it as the default lets its be changed as required. Black text is illegible for partially-sighted users using an inverted skin, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anan1 wrote: »
    Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Citroen C6 2008 :)

Barry Andrews is my new favorite politican.

Stekelly wrote: »

Another person to violate the forum charter, Stay on topic, reported also :rolleyes:

The C6 are awful, maybe Bertie will get a new C class for 2009 :D

• Advertisement

The C6 are awful,

In what way? Or is this just some stupid "everything with a Citroen badge is automatically a pile of crap" rubbish?

In what way? Or is this just some stupid "everything with a Citroen badge is automatically a pile of crap" rubbish?

1. Ulgy as sin

2. Unreliable

3. MAJOR
    Depreciation [/COLOR]

[4 . Nobody buys them[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

1. Ulgy as sin

2. Unreliable

3. MAJOR
    Depreciation [/COLOR]

Is it so hard not just type the thing, instead of messing around with fonts and all the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

bigkev49 wrote: »
    FFS the man was Taoiseach of the country. It was a drop in the ocean at the time and the leader of the country should have an car to reflect his position.

You can argue all you want about how many light-bulbs it would have bought for disadvantaged squirrels or whatever but the Taoiseach should have a big f-off car and to be honest €100k isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

Too right.

At least unlike Mr. Bush he doesn't/didn't travel in a 30-vehicle motorcade. You want a joke, that's it, not us.
    Is it so hard not just type the thing, instead of messing around with fonts and all the rest?

Or he could have just made it bold :P

1. Ulgy as sin

2. Unreliable

3. MAJOR
    Depreciation [/COLOR]

Links to the supposed unreliability?

Depreciation reflects stupidity of the general public a lot more than how good a car is and for the most part doesnt indicate anythig to do with reliability (see: VW golf)

Looks are subjective.

The reason so few buy them is due to huge amounts of badge snobbery. If it came with Merc badges there'd be hundreds on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,895 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Another person to violate the forum charter, Stay on topic, reported also :rolleyes:

Stop that backseat modding, Cpaw. That's a warning.

The least someone can do when messing with fonts is too actually do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I pass St. Lukes everyday and haven't seen it there in a while.

Did Biffo inherit it?
    Nope....couldn't prise it from Bertie
    greatdeeds wrote: »
    Dont hear many people compaling complaining about the E-class (elec gremlins aside!)
    The view was that the President got an S-Class in 00 and on replacement one should be procured for An Taoiseach too as they are the 2 highest status elected citizens of the State.
    robbie99 wrote: »
    As a motor enthuasist I'd be embarassed to see our country's leaders regardless of party driven around in a clapped out Toyota Corolla or similar. The Merc S Class is the right car for top level executives and the like. It's not a pretentious Rolls Royce. Heck, even taxi drivers can afford the S Class.
    Doesn't need to be a Merc, but the Prius is slightly embarrassing.
    Can't understand why Brian gets the 07 E 220 and Bertie keeps his s350, why not swap surely??
    mickdw wrote: »
    Bertie had the S class until someone tried to set fire to it recently. Maybe its gone for repairs.
    S Class for Bertie, E Class for Cowen..... That all wrong. Cowen should get an old C Class. :)
    There's an S-Class or similar on order for Biffo, or so I was told during the Lisbon campaign when I made a point about the E-Class. The 2006 S350 was repaired and is operational
    delly wrote: »
    afaik these cars are officially classed the same as Garda cars and are driven by Gardai. The president does her bit so I wouldn't be too harsh on her, it could be worse however, we could have a royal family.
    Indeed
    esel wrote: »
    Folks, please stick to normal colour. Black text is very hard to read for users on Cloud skin (a lot of people use Cloud).
    Or people like me using BIE
    Interesting that he is the only Minister of State with a car. I have a feeling this may change after Dick Roche's incident during the week.

Also interesting to note Batt has a 525

I think previous Taoisigh get a car of the same size/standard as the one they had on retirement, explaining the 9-5 and Mondeo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Did Biffo inherit it?

he got his own new car not too long ago IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Its fair enough the former Taoisai having chauffered state cars, and years ago when they used R25's and Granadas it looked embarrassing when compared to the UK who used Daimlers etc..

Anyway since there are no Granadas,Senators,big Renaults then why now the Mercs. At least they could get more than scrap value when they are auctioned off unlike the previous cars I mentioned.

However, why dont he use S320 CDi's?? Same price, more economical and just as fast ?

Biffo is obviously getting a '09 one, and I'm assuming what the State pays for one doesn't bear any relation to the list price !

• Advertisement

Actually buffo just got a new 08 merc last month so doubt he'll be gettin an 09 merc

• Registered Users Posts: 64,895 ✭✭✭✭unkel

MercMad wrote: »
    Its fair enough the former Taoisai having chauffered state cars

It doesn't cost all that much in the greater scheme of things, but I feel a former politician on a huge pension no longer needs a chauffeured limousine and 24/7 Garda protection until they die. I'd rather the money would pay for a cancer vaccination for young girls to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Join date Nov 2008....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Reductio Ad Hitlerum...

Bertie is chauffered in a Mercedes.
    Hitler was chauffered in a Mercedes.

Ergo Bertie == Hitler.

:P

Yup... I'm bored. But quite frankly, the car a politician is chauffered around in means nothing. Unless it's a Maybach, or a Rolls Royce, in which case it means they're probably a dictator. World leaders prefer top range Mercedes. Dictators prefer cars even better than theirs. If anything, an S class is a perfect statesmans car.... classy and governmental, but also understated in a way other super-luxuries aren't..

I also find it hilarious that the two Green Party ministers aren't driving the greenest car. That honour goes to either the Chief Justice with his Diesel BMW, or the owner of the oldest car there. Toyota Prius is about as green as green paint when you count in manufacturing emmissions. They would've been better off with an old gas-guzzler jag, if they truly wanted environmental credentials, and not just environmentalist credentials...

Actually the greens do have the two lowest emissions car in the fleet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I wonder if they will keep updating the fleet what with the now economic misery. Mary Harney by the way has had her A6 upgraded to the new 2008 Xenon fancy lights one. Like the A4 when the front lights stay on all the time but the back stay off. Seen her up in Sligo in it the other day.

This is untrue - she is still in her 2006 A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

miju wrote: »
    Actually the greens do have the two lowest emissions car in the fleet

It's not just about emmissions...

There's all the carbon the goes towards forming the plastics, the environmental hazards of the batteries, the fact that outside of town they have to use the petrol engine as much as a regular car, and the fact that it has to be shipped by container from Japan.

A Prius is a false economy. That's my opinion on the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

spot on, the squeeky clean greens eh, Gormley bought his off a green party activist.... not quite Ray Burke but I wonder did the state get a good deal???

Once a politician, always a politician

Advertisement