Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kilkennys worst customer service experience

Options
  • 17-12-2008 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey every one what was your worst customer service experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

This is going to quickly descend into unsustainable claims against local business that might well get boards in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wigster29

did i mention names? im just asking for experiences

As long as nobody goes landing us in hot water the thread will remain open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wigster29

i had a friend of mine was trying to buy tiles at a shop in kilkenny and they messed her around big time filled her with bull**** any way tiles never existed they were on display but they were out of stock for at least 2 months and never told her just kept saying oh they will be here next week and so on how the hell can buisness treat people like that

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

I bought a laptop in a certain KK computer store and was encouraged to pay an extra 300 euro for the extended warranty. 18 months later the power cable socket at the back of the laptop broke.
    When i brought it back they wouldnt honour the warranty as they claimed that i must have tripped over or pulled the power cable in order for it to break. When i stated that i hadnt i was told that i must be mistaken.
    I will NEVER buy an extended warranty on anything ever again and would encourage everyone to do same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think I know the store you might be talking about. Its all about comission so they aim big with sales. I was in with a friend and his gf once (in a waterford store) and they persauded them to do the exact same thing (ignoring my advise - I really got on the sales assistants nerves :D) even tho both of us repaired computers anyway. She managed to persuade both of them that even we couldnt fix it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

We stayed in a "family friendly hotel that wouldn't take bookings from stag/hen parties". So my wife, my 2 year old daughter and myself went down for a weekend break. We were put in a room right beside reception and didn't get a wink of sleep from the noisy stag and hen parties in th eadjacent bar and reception area. We complained to the desk staff at several points during the night/early morning and apart from some shushing noises, they did nothing to quell the noise.

A complaint to management the next morning had us moved to another room at the far end of the hotel but at that stage we were so knackered that the weekend was a wash out for us. Upon checking out, I asked to speak to the manager and he was unavailable, even though he had been talking to the guy in front of me 5 minutes previously. When asked if we enjoyed the weekend, I let them know that it was the worst weekend we'd ever had. She just shrugged her shoulders and gave us the bill. I asked for a reduction due to our disturbed night and she refused. I wrote to the manager when I got home and he denied there were stag/hen parties in the hotel (even though my cousin was a guest at one of them - I'd met him when we were in the restaraunt earlier) and that we should expect some noise from reception - so much for it being family friendly.

Needless to say, we've never gone back to Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

We stayed in a "family friendly hotel that wouldn't take bookings from stag/hen parties". So my wife, my 2 year old daughter and myself went down for a weekend break. We were put in a room right beside reception and didn't get a wink of sleep from the noisy stag and hen parties in th eadjacent bar and reception area. We complained to the desk staff at several points during the night/early morning and apart from some shushing noises, they did nothing to quell the noise.

A complaint to management the next morning had us moved to another room at the far end of the hotel but at that stage we were so knackered that the weekend was a wash out for us. Upon checking out, I asked to speak to the manager and he was unavailable, even though he had been talking to the guy in front of me 5 minutes previously. When asked if we enjoyed the weekend, I let them know that it was the worst weekend we'd ever had. She just shrugged her shoulders and gave us the bill. I asked for a reduction due to our disturbed night and she refused. I wrote to the manager when I got home and he denied there were stag/hen parties in the hotel (even though my cousin was a guest at one of them - I'd met him when we were in the restaraunt earlier) and that we should expect some noise from reception - so much for it being family friendly.

Needless to say, we've never gone back to Kilkenny.
    to be honest you'll never get a hotel in the city that doen't have a hen or stag.

Random note. I used to live where your from:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

to be honest you'll never get a hotel in the city that doen't have a hen or stag.

Random note. I used to live where your from:eek:

The point is that they advertised their hotel as being "family friendly" and that they wouldn't allow stag/hen nights - bs on both counts.

I'm not from Prosperous, I'm a blow in from de northsoide of Dubalin;)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

There's a certain 'tourist friendly' 'nostalgic' ****hole of a cafe in Kilkenny that has persisted in ripping so many people off over the years. The last time I was in there (3 years ago) I was given sandwiches on stale bread, hard ham and the worst leaky pot of tea I've ever seen. When I complained the obnoxious staff just refused to listen to it. I wouldn't mind but it was the first time I've ever felt compelled to complain in an eaterie in Kilkenny. I haven't been there since then and if anyone asks me for a recommendation, I tell them definitely not to go there. Rude stuff, exorbitant prices and bad food mean it's just not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

There's a certain newsagent that shuts its doors earlier than other stores in the same place. I was once in there with another customer around 8:45 browsing and they more or less threw us out. A woman walked into the shop and they were horrible in the manner they sent her back out. I've never gone in there since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

A recession can be a good thing, putting power back into the hands of consumers with long memories and large social networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Threadhead wrote: »
    There's a certain 'tourist friendly' 'nostalgic' ****hole of a cafe in Kilkenny that has persisted in ripping so many people off over the years. The last time I was in there (3 years ago) I was given sandwiches on stale bread, hard ham and the worst leaky pot of tea I've ever seen. When I complained the obnoxious staff just refused to listen to it. I wouldn't mind but it was the first time I've ever felt compelled to complain in an eaterie in Kilkenny. I haven't been there since then and if anyone asks me for a recommendation, I tell them definitely not to go there. Rude stuff, exorbitant prices and bad food mean it's just not worth it.

Do they still serve Mr Kipling buns/cakes in there and try to pass them off as "home made"?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Oh they pass a lot of crappy past its sell by date bought in food as 'home made'. All the fancy trinkets in the world aren't going to make up for a sick stomach and a raped wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I havent eaten in there since I was charged £3 for out of date cheesecake. The prices are horrendous and are liable to change, depending on who serves you. It was across from where I worked, and at the time one of the few places open on a Sunday. There was a league table for the highest price charged for a can of coke. Receipts were put on the notice board as proof and the record was €2.20!

My worst customer service experience in KK was in a well known restaurant in town about 3 months ago, where food arrived late and was cold. Drinks and desserts that were ordered never showed (but were on the bill!) and the worst was mid meal, we were asked to stand up and physically move our table by a waitress. She said she needed more room to accomodate a nearby table of 10. We complained and got nowhere with the staff and then got the manager who knocked 25% off the bill, but nevertheless, I will not be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

A Barbers (near Eurospar) who closing time was 17:30, had locked their doors at 17:20 and was refusing to let any other customers in.

Then there are certain hardware stores who close their shops for lunch between 1 – 2pm, very customer focused :)

Two years ago I rang a builder to get a quote to build a boiler shed and he said that I was too far away to do the job, the job was 45 minuets away for him!

Heh, he'd be gagging for the business now!

I can understand the barber's closing the doors 10 minutes before closing time, considering it'll take at least that to cut your hair, take payment, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Went to a car parts shop for power steering fluid for my Ford. I asked for help and the salesperson rolled their eyes and said 'power steering fluid is power steering fluid, they're all the same' before handing me a bottle. So off I went and just before I put it in my car I read the back of the bottle where it said 'For use in any type of car, except Ford'. So off I go and try to return it but they're having none of it. Argue with the manager for a while and eventually they go off and get me a different bottle. And it was still wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Stephen wrote: »
    I can understand the barber's closing the doors 10 minutes before closing time, considering it'll take at least that to cut your hair, take payment, etc.

+ 1 Most shops will start closing up about 10 mins before closing time, depending on the type of shop they will stop letting people in at that time otherwise they won't be finished in time.

As for the hardware store I don't see any issue with it closing for lunch, guess I'm one of the few here who grew up in a small town were every shop use to close for lunch and also closed for a half day on wednesdays [know a few shops who still do that] and would only open for a few hours saturday and didn't open on Sundays. We've got to use to shops being open 24/7.

I know the hardware you mean and the guy who owns it could either hire someone so he could stay open all day or close for lunch - I'm guessing the amount o business he's losing in that hour would not be the same as paying a second person wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ergonomics wrote: »
    Went to a car parts shop for power steering fluid for my Ford. I asked for help and the salesperson rolled their eyes and said 'power steering fluid is power steering fluid, they're all the same' before handing me a bottle. So off I went and just before I put it in my car I read the back of the bottle where it said 'For use in any type of car, except Ford'. So off I go and try to return it but they're having none of it. Argue with the manager for a while and eventually they go off and get me a different bottle. And it was still wrong.
    Sounds like a halfords job, why did you not just go to Penders? They would have topped it up for free.

• Advertisement

Penders dont do anything for free :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

Regarding the barbers the poor customer service was not the fact that they closed 10 mins early but the fact that she locked the door so she could avoid telling customers, they were not taking anymore customers, it was just the lazy way out and the least customer friendly. In a service business is your closing time, the last time that you take your customer or is it when you finish? I would imagine the people working there would still be paid til six as they have to clean up, balance their til etc...... anyway what irked me was the lack of communication by locking the door.

I find the majority of recruitment agents (except premier) very poor often losing CVs, posting up jobs that have been filled, one I know of is an internal audit role in Glanbia which was still live on one website 6 months after the job being filled, not returning phone calls, not disclosing all the relevant info re the job on its website and not knowing enough about your profession/industry to be able to discuss the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Hopefully poor customer service will be a thing of the past now that businesses are struggling for business. An upside to the recession perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Double post

I hope things have improved but a certain shop that involves a catalogue used to be a horror of a place to go into. The staff in there were more interested in talking to each other than to serve the customers. I've been in other branches of this chain in other towns and you'd be out of there in 5-10 minutes at worst. In this one it could be a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I think I know which café people are bitching about. Stale, faux "home made" confections, staff of the most apethetic and obnoxious kind and a price list that bends your wallet over the till and buggers it without remorse can only point to one well known emporium. I don't know why I still go there, I really don't.

I have, in my 9 odd years as a mobile phone user... NEVER had a satisfactory transaction in a mobile phone shop. They are staffed by the rudest, most inept collection of mongoloids in the workforce.

Firetrap wrote: »
    I hope things have improved but a certain shop that involves a catalogue used to be a horror of a place to go into. The staff in there were more interested in talking to each other than to serve the customers. I've been in other branches of this chain in other towns and you'd be out of there in 5-10 minutes at worst. In this one it could be a long wait.

Hey! I worked there for years. I was nothing short of courteous to customers. Except the ones who threw things like playstations or the odd microwave at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

zootroid wrote: »
    Hopefully poor customer service will be a thing of the past now that businesses are struggling for business. An upside to the recession perhaps?
    too bad we cant afford to spend to get the new customer service :P

Nightwish wrote: »
    Hey! I worked there for years. I was nothing short of courteous to customers. Except the ones who threw things like playstations or the odd microwave at me.

Customers 1 - Staff 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 mumsy

:D:D:D
    ergonomics wrote: »

That's hilarious. A good mate of mine has just started his own business selling auto parts direct to the customer and great service...will deliver and give genuine advice on what your car may need. He has loads of experience and really looks after his customers. Kilkenny Autoparts Direct 085 7474788

Advertisement