Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To the motorcycle rider who was not in my mirror

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Really funny but the guy waved his fist and pointed at his mirrors as he went by as I was waving to say sorry. Not to worry , nobody hurt. If he's reading this then Happy Christmas :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Really funny but the guy waved his fist and pointed at his mirrors as he went by as I was waving to say sorry. Not to worry , nobody hurt. If he's reading this then Happy Christmas :).
    well, in the heat of the moment, its nearly always someone elses fault, isnt it?
    he was probably scared ****less and just thought "fecking truck nearly killed me"

hopefully he will have thought a little bit about the blind spots and realised that it wasnt lack of observation on your part, but the lack of anything to physically have the ability to observe

luckily no one was hurt so we can all get back to planning our turkey dinners :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

subway wrote: »
    well, in the heat of the moment, its nearly always someone elses fault, isnt it?
    he was probably scared ****less and just thought "fecking truck nearly killed me"

hopefully he will have thought a little bit about the blind spots and realised that it wasnt lack of observation on your part, but the lack of anything to physically have the ability to observe

luckily no one was hurt so we can all get back to planning our turkey dinners :D
    I dont like turkey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

JackFrosty wrote: »
    Gonna go slightly off track here,

I am a truck driver myself, and what really annoys me is,
    When you pull in to let some one pass you and they dont even say thanks!

That really pisses me off!
    Maybe they do say thanks, how can you hear them from the cab of a truck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

vektarman wrote: »
    Maybe they do say thanks, how can you hear them from the cab of a truck?
    He follows them to the next set of traffic lights then climbs out of the cab and asks them did they say something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

then enjoy whatever it is you eat ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Vertakill wrote: »
    O
    There seriously needs to be a more thorough/strict driving test or something for bikers than the current system. There's far too many on the road who have terrible road awareness when they're the ones who need to be permanently on their toes. Not to mention the complete lack of respect for other motorists that a lot (not all) of them display..

I'm not commenting on the OP's situation or even yours.
    Just to say I find it hard to understand why you slam the motorbike testing system. Are you aware that when you get your full A license you are restricted for two years?
    Do car drivers have a similar system? Well, actually they don't and they can drive their parents high-powered car even on a provisional license.

It's not an attack on anyone and maybe it was raised in Page 2 or 3. The motorbike system isn't perfect but it's a lot more restrictive then the car licensing system

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The OP may not have seen the biker in his mirror, but had been been following proper driving awareness, he would have looked over his shoulder before pulling out. It's called checking the blindspot.

I do ever since I had a VERY close shave on the M7 3 years ago just after I'd passed my test. I missed a whole E-Class in the overtaking lane, and the poor guy had to perform a firm plant of the palm on the horn:o:o

It's not the biker's fault the OP didn't check the blindspot, lesson learned I hope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ninty9er wrote: »
    The OP may not have seen the biker in his mirror, but had been been following proper driving awareness, he would have looked over his shoulder before pulling out. It's called checking the blindspot.

Yes, we know what it is called, but we don't know if it is even possible for the OP to do that. I wouldn't find it hard to believe that a trucker may not have the same view over his shoulder than a car driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

eoin wrote: »
    Yes, we know what it is called, but we don't know if it is even possible for the OP to do that. I wouldn't find it hard to believe that a trucker may not have the same view over his shoulder than a car driver.

+1

Bikers should know not to hang around the side of a truck. The biker was either in a world of his own or not very experienced.

• Advertisement

eoin wrote: »

He's informed us it was a van based truck, Sprinter or similar with a hi-box stuck on the chassis. It is most certainly possible to glance right to check in one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ninty9er wrote: »
    He's informed us it was a van based truck, Sprinter or similar with a hi-box stuck on the chassis. It is most certainly possible to glance right to check in one of those things.

Take a driving lesson in a similar truck and see for yourself what you can and can't see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

In response to ninty9er. A look over my shoulder would have got me a view of a window pillar , a boxbody and an aero kit. Just so you understand ,the motorbike was obscured by all of this , a rather large hindrance to my vision you might agree.....Try it yourself sometime and when you have a better understanding of the circumstances let us know how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Never mind a truck, i'm a biker and wouldn't dream of driving in the blind spot of a car! It's madness, and pretty sure there's even a bit about it in the ROTR.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    In response to ninty9er. A look over my shoulder would have got me a view of a window pillar , a boxbody and an aero kit. Just so you understand ,the motorbike was obscured by all of this , a rather large hindrance to my vision you might agree.....Try it yourself sometime and when you have a better understanding of the circumstances let us know how you got on.

Can you clear up what kind of vehicle EXACTLY you were driving so. A Transit or Sprinter or anything you can drive on a B licence would give some sort of view into the blindspot by looking out the driver's window as you are required to do when overtaking during a driving test.

I have driven lengthy vehicles like a LWB sprinter, but not with an Aerobox on the back, and there is DEFINITIVELY a view into the blindspot by checking the driver's window.

EDIT: I'm not playing a blame game here btw, the biker should have been moving past as opposed to sitting in the overtaking lane NOT overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

An Aerobox van would have the bits sticking out behind the drivers cab i think, im thinking of a pre 05 vw caddy van which has a horrible blind spot as the load area protrudes making the blind spot greater.
    And throwing a look over your right shoulder in a van swb/lwb or even a car van does NOT give you a full view of your blind spot you still have a huge area and the only view you have is your mirrors, so maybe moving your head looking into your drivers side mirror will give you a more accurate view. But then your not concentrating on what is going on in front and other mirror!

While both parties are a little to blame, i think the bike sitting in the blind spot is an idiot and to try to tell the op to check his mirrors shows the bikers lack of experience driving something with more then 2 wheels.

While driving a bike will increase your knowledge of the road and motorcyclists tend to make better car drivers, but this is a generalisation that has plenty of people who prove it wrong too! i do think sometimes bikers and such should try driving a van/truck with the blind spots you encounter you'll learn quickly even on a motorway to finish your overtaking maneuver asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

While we are now on the subject of trucks, could all truck drivers NOT overtake anything on any motorway, unless there is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING travelling in the right lane of the motorway.

Listen, you may think that an extra 8km/h is enough of a speed to overtake another artic truck, IT IS NOT, it is just plain silly. Because the rest of us morons, are slamming on brakes behind you, and almost causing accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

While we are now on the subject of trucks, could all truck drivers NOT overtake anything on any motorway, unless there is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING travelling in the right lane of the motorway.

Listen, you may think that an extra 8km/h is enough of a speed to overtake another artic truck, IT IS NOT, it is just plain silly. Because the rest of us morons, are slamming on brakes behind you, and almost causing accidents.

Post of the year for me. Good work fella!

Advertisement