Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The reason apple need to go off and DIE!!

Options
  • 16-12-2008 5:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

First of all let me start by saying that i cant stand itunes, the whole not having free controll of my music is a feature that annoyed me to the point where i use anapod explorer as an alternitive. Anyway onwards to the story.

I connected my Ipod up to my computer today(totally forgetting i had installed itunes to restore the girlfreinds ipod earlier) and it automaticly(without so much as a bit of notice) synched up with my own ipod. Now i have an almost full 80 gb ipod with a good 60% of the tracks mislabled(4 different names for albums, different spellings, loss of track sequences all that kinda deal).

Worse still i found that random songs have been deleted off my ipod, for instance my alice in chains unplugged only has tracks 1 3 and 5, the rest of the album is missing and it doesnt appear to be labled under anything else either.

THIS IS ****ING RETARDED APPLE!!! I dunno if you can tell but im thoughrally pissed off to say the very least. I have the majority of this music backed up but as far as i know a lot of my backup is mistagged aswell so its gonna be a MAJOR pain in the ass and its gonna take AGES to sort out.

Ok rant over. On another note, does anyone know if theres a way to restore an ipod to earlier on this evening, if such a programme exists id even be willing to pay for the thing. I just dont want to have to go through my entire ipod with a fine tooth comb to get it sorted again. EDIT, And i dont think this sort of thing should happen in the FUC....no im gonna calm down. First place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

This might seem like a wildly left field idea but how about you buy another mp3 player oooooooor stop whining about something that was clearly your own fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

get a creative zen. Proper stuff. Isod is a load of dicky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Don't wanna sound like a dick, but i fail to see how it's Apple's fault that the majority of your music isn't tagged properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

google MediaMonkey...fairly good for tagging music....i use it a lot...no issues so far....

p.s. bought myself a 16Gb Apple iPod Touch for christmas.... lol

merry christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

My music on my ipod WAS tagged properly, the music on my harddrive backup wasnt.

True that it is partially my own fault but i didnt synch my player myself. It automaticly did this without even asking my permission, and why did it go about deleteing random tracks, and mislabling tracks. Itunes is such an idiotic backwards system.

And believe me i would use another media player its just that apple pretty much have a monopoly going on, besides that i cant exactly afford to splash out on a new mp3 player when one thing pisses me off about one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I agree with the OP. It's absolute bollox. I can't understand how anyone uses it. I've messed up my ipod by accident with it syncing on the sly as well. Off with iTunes, on with MediaMonkey - haven't looked back.

Trying media monkey out now, can you freely transfer your music on and off your ipod without having to have it saved onto your computer.

I dunno how you itunes people do it. If i put all 80 gigs of music on my laptops hard drive id have only 40 gigs left. Kinda totally dimishes the point of of an mp3 player imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Patricide wrote: »
    Trying media monkey out now, can you freely transfer your music on and off your ipod without having to have it saved onto your computer.

I dunno how you itunes people do it. If i put all 80 gigs of music on my laptops hard drive id have only 40 gigs left. Kinda totally dimishes the point of of an mp3 player imo.

You seem a little confused?

The job of an MP3 player is to play mp3's

the Ipod and any other mp3 player doesn't give a f*ck what you do after that...

No offence but your putting that a bit oversimplified. Those mp3's need a way to get onto the player and apple or any other company for that matter should have ergonomicly designed software which allows you 100% controll over your music.

If ive spent my hard earned cash on music then i shouldnt have to worry if its still on my computer if i want it to stay on my ipod. The whole idea is idiotic yet everyone puts up with it because the ipod is the "number 1" mp3 player on the market, I dont get why.

I know for a fact im not the only one who is agrivated to the point of insanity by itunes, it seems to just be fanboys and people who dont know any better who seem to like itunes.

No offence but your putting that a bit oversimplified. Those mp3's need a way to get onto the player and apple or any other company for that matter should have ergonomicly designed software which allows you 100% controll over your music.

If ive spent my hard earned cash on music then i shouldnt have to worry if its still on my computer if i want it to stay on my ipod. The whole idea is idiotic yet everyone puts up with it because the ipod is the "number 1" mp3 player on the market, I dont get why.

I know for a fact im not the only one who is agrivated to the point of insanity by itunes, it seems to just be fanboys and people who dont know any better who seem to like itunes.

again, you still seem very confused.

I have complete control over all my music.

I have a zen and an Ipod.

I don't understand what you're talking about why does your ipod care where your music is after you place the mp3 on the ipod? mine doesn't.

I don't put up with it, I've never had that problem.

I don't particularly like Itunes but for many different reasons, but you're free to choose plenty of other software if you're not happy with Itunes.

Maybe if you figured out how to setup Itunes properly in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

My music on my ipod WAS tagged properly, the music on my harddrive backup wasnt.

True that it is partially my own fault but i didnt synch my player myself. It automaticly did this without even asking my permission, and why did it go about deleteing random tracks, and mislabling tracks. Itunes is such an idiotic backwards system.

And believe me i would use another media player its just that apple pretty much have a monopoly going on, besides that i cant exactly afford to splash out on a new mp3 player when one thing pisses me off about one.

iTunes doesn't sync automatically unless you have set it up to sync automatically. And then, that is only with a known device. When you connect a new iPod product, it does not go and sync automatically but will ask you what you want to do and does warn that the act of sync-ing will delete tracks. I've no idea what you did though I expect your tale is a fairly creative juggling of events - either you never had iTunes on the PC and it did not sync immediately at all or you did not just install it today as claimed but have sync-ed at some stage before and now you are mainly angry with yourself for forgetting that fact...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

art wrote: »
    iTunes doesn't sync automatically unless you have set it up to sync automatically.
    In my experience iTunes syncs automatically unless you tell it not to do so.

Although not, afair, when plugging in a "new" device.

I agree with the OP though -- the way iTunes and iPods handles music is horribly restrictive. If you transfer music to your iPod then remove it from your computer, you can't ever sync the iPod again without loosing those songs completely. Correct me if I'm wrong -- seriously! I'd love to know the way around this!

Also, songs I put on my iPod are locked on that iPod... either I have a "backup" somewhere or that's it. Can't get them off.

I have an iPhone but I'll be damned if I'm going to let it take control of my music. ****e music player anyway... I stick to my iRiver iHP140 -- best mp3 player I've ever come across, and it lets me do what I want with the media I own, when I want. Drag+drop on, drag+drop off. No software, no nonsense.

Goodshape wrote: »

I agree with the OP though -- the way iTunes and iPods handles music is horribly restrictive. If you transfer music to your iPod then remove it from your computer, you can't ever sync the iPod again without loosing those songs completely. Correct me if I'm wrong -- seriously! I'd love to know the way around this!

Also, songs I put on my iPod are locked on that iPod... either I have a "backup" somewhere or that's it. Can't get them off.

I have an iPhone but I'll be damned if I'm going to let it take control of my music. ****e music player anyway... I stick to my iRiver iHP140 -- best mp3 player I've ever come across, and it lets me do what I want with the media I own, when I want. Drag+drop on, drag+drop off. No software, no nonsense.

When I used to use Itunes it asked did I want to synch....

The majority of my Ipod's music is not physically on the computer and never had a problem syncing after removing the music physically from the pc...I don't recall ever doing anything special for this to work like that...

not sure what you mean by locked, I put my music on any device be it an ipod or any other mp3 player without issue..

not sure what your all up to

I'm always utterly amazed that people think drag and drop is so majorly worthwhile or that clicking on "My Documents"... " My Music"... "Abba" ... "Abba's Greatest Hits", clicking on a song and diligently dragging it across to ... Oh, hang on, I forgot to open My Computer and open the ... etc is so much better than plugging in the iPod, waiting a few seconds, then unplugging it. And I'd love to hear how exactly you copy all your tracks from 2008 in one click using Drag and Drop, or all those tracks you've rated five or four stars etc?

Anyhow the first time you plug in a particular iPod it asks you about syncing. Of course it does not ask you again after that, I'm pretty sure there would be howls of complaints if it did always ask. You have to go untick the box after that. It's hardly the most dastardly thing having to go tell the device that you've changed your mind now is it?

ntlbell wrote: »
    When I used to use Itunes it asked did I want to synch....

The majority of my Ipod's music is not physically on the computer and never had a problem syncing after removing the music physically from the pc...I don't recall ever doing anything special for this to work like that...

not sure what you mean by locked, I put my music on any device be it an ipod or any other mp3 player without issue..

not sure what your all up to

Honestly, that's not been my experience or the experience of other people I know.

Not that I have extensive experience with the software... got burnt once and didn't go back. Like I said, I don't like the iPhone as an MP3 player anyway. Too much flash, too little substance.

Maybe there's a "don't be an asshole" button in iTunes that I forgot to press.

Honestly, that's not been my experience or the experience of other people I know.

Not that I have extensive experience with the software... got burnt once and didn't go back. Like I said, I don't like the iPhone as an MP3 player anyway. Too much flash, too little substance.

Maybe there's a "don't be an asshole" button in iTunes that I forgot to press.

This is the only thing i ever changed

Configure iPod or iPhone for manual management
    If you have iTunes 7* or later follow these instructions.
    1. Connect iPod or iPhone to your computer.
    2. Open iTunes.
    3. Select iPod or iPhone in the Devices list.
    4. Click the Summary tab and select "Manually manage music and videos."
    5. Click Apply.
    6. When manual management is enabled, you can still sync some content automatically. Select any content tab such as Video to enable automatic syncing for that type of content.

I'm always utterly amazed that people think drag and drop is so majorly worthwhile or that clicking on "My Documents"... " My Music"... "Abba" ... "Abba's Greatest Hits", clicking on a song and diligently dragging it across to ... Oh, hang on, I forgot to open My Computer and open the ... etc is so much better than plugging in the iPod, waiting a few seconds, then unplugging it. And I'd love to hear how exactly you copy all your tracks from 2008 in one click using Drag and Drop, or all those tracks you've rated five or four stars etc?
    Horses for courses. I've never felt the need to "star" rate my music... I already know what I like. I also use multiple computers, operating systems (windows/os-x/linux) and thus audio software on a near enough daily basis.

I'm always utterly amazed at how people can goto the trouble of tagging, categorizing and rating all their music in one single piece of software and then what? do it all again for the next piece of software you decide to use?

A good directory file structure and id3 tagging FTW.

ntlbell wrote: »
    This is the only thing i ever changed
    Nice one :)

I'll be sure to mention that to my friends who are still stuck using iTunes ;)

[quote=Goodshape;58292980
    I'm always utterly amazed at how people can goto the trouble of tagging, categorizing and rating all their music[/quote]

I'm utterly amazed he used "ABBA" as his example....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Keith186

The whole idea is idiotic yet everyone puts up with it because the ipod is the "number 1" mp3 player on the market, I dont get why.

Marketing, my friend.

I tried itunes out before I had the chance to buy an ipod and it just put me off it altogether. I think itunes is a shambles and totally awkward.
    Feck getting used to it, just make it right in the first place.

I use WMP 11 for tunes and MP classic, by no means perfect but I just don't hate them as much (yet).

No.1 reason I wouldn't get an ipod is bacause of itunes.

No.2 reason is because tonnes of my stuff is in wmp, if itunes wasn't so poxy it wouldn't bother me to convert it though.

• Advertisement

Horses for courses. I've never felt the need to "star" rate my music... I already know what I like. I also use multiple computers, operating systems (windows/os-x/linux) and thus audio software on a near enough daily basis.

I'm always utterly amazed at how people can goto the trouble of tagging, categorizing and rating all their music in one single piece of software and then what? do it all again for the next piece of software you decide to use?

A good directory file structure and id3 tagging FTW.

iTunes will automatically create a good directory structure for you. If you wish. Or it won't, if you don't. Plus I was earlier referring to ID tags essentially, iTunes (as does other software of course) makes it easy to transfer music based on tagging - and the tagging done in iTunes isn't limited to the one PC, not sure where you get that idea? So, going back to simple drag and drop, how do you drag and drop all those songs in your collection that have an ID tag that says they were published in 2008?

The thing is you get options with iTunes - you can manually manage music or automatically manage it, do clever things with tags or don't, manage playlists or don't.. and so on. Options, for me, are healthy things to have. Ultimately, the idea that iTunes is restrictive is in fact, in itself, a very limited an idea.

So, going back to simple drag and drop, how do you drag and drop all those songs in your collection that have an ID tag that says they were published in 2008?
    In Linux I use Amarok which is an awesome piece of software and will do this for me -- and it's compatible with pretty much every MP3 player except newer iPods/iPhones... because Apple says no.

Not that I've ever wanted to do that ;)

Anyways, horses for courses, like I said. It seems from comments here that iTunes can be configured in such a way asto be reasonable with your files and media. Most people I know with iPods obviously aren't tech savvy enough to figure this out... that's why they bought iPods ;). Me? I'll stick with software and tools that respect the media I own "out of the box", rather than trying to sell me more restrictive media at every turn.

(and maybe buying music in your media player is handy for you? Yeah, Amarok does that too... with a choice of around 5 different stores - just not iTunes store... because Apple, of course, says no.)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

what I did to avoid this exact problem was I didn't buy an Ipod I bought an mp3 player that I wanted to own, not something I hate.
    I recommend you do likewise

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

So, going back to simple drag and drop, how do you drag and drop all those songs in your collection that have an ID tag that says they were published in 2008?

The thing is you get options with iTunes - you can manually manage music or automatically manage it, do clever things with tags or don't, manage playlists or don't.. and so on. Options, for me, are healthy things to have. Ultimately, the idea that iTunes is restrictive is in fact, in itself, a very limited an idea.

This is what I love about MSC - DAP's, I can use them with just about anything, I do not have to use itunes if I do not want to. I love drag and drop, it's dead handy...BUT with that I also have the OPTION (something i'd like to highlight here) to use software if I need to but I am not forced to use that software if I do not need to, this is something you seem to be missing art (based on your question, in italics above), just because a DAP doesn't need software doesn't mean it can't be used with software....so if I needed to put all tracks from 08 onto my DAP I could do so easily...of course I would never have a reason to do something as ridiculous as that ;)

In Linux I use Amarok which is an awesome piece of software and will do this for me ... Me? I'll stick with software and tools that respect the media I own "out of the box", rather than trying to sell me more restrictive media at every turn.
    That was my whole point in a nutshell, you started off saying
    ...Drag+drop on, drag+drop off. No software, no nonsense.
    but now you admit you actually do not use "drag and drop" after all, you use software to handle transfers.

I've no idea why you think iTunes does not respect media, I have lots of Mp3s on my PC which I still use iTunes to organise, even though I've actually a Sony player now (in addition to an iPod). iTunes doesn't change my files or do anything with them - in what way is it not respecting my media??? I buy music wherever I want, nothing forces me to do anything here. Lost as to where you are coming from with this conspiracy theory stuff.

Mactard wrote: »
    ...of course I would never have a reason to do something as ridiculous as that ;)
    :) I literally just did that the other week when trying to write up a brief article on albums of 2008 and needing to remember what music was relevant, so you never know...

On the other thing, I just think that beating things over the head over "drag and drop" functions is a bit nerdy really - it's a clumsy, time laborious way of organising music with the only benefit I can see being avoiding a software install. But given just about everyone has Media Player or iTunes automatically installed on their respective PCs, that too is hardly viable. It reminds me very much of the old arguments about using DOS instead of Windows in order to "stay in control". "Drag and Drop" is more trouble than it is worth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Well...my point is that with MSC style DAP's you have plenty of choice, you can drag and drop your music/files regardless of the system you use and as you also most likely have all your music databased in some sort of a media player the chances are that you will be able to sync with a MSC DAP, if you need to...that was really my only point.

As for that "Drag and Drop is more trouble than it is worth comment", well, that's your opinion but that doesn't make you correct :) I think that being limitted to software transfer only is more trouble than it is worth, as I like choice and I like a bit more freedom with how I use my DAP.

As a media player, I do not like itunes to be honest, it simply does not fit my needs, but being a mac user my choice is limited. If I could use mediamonkey on OSX I certainly would, but for now I am using songbird to play my collection (in a non-ipod/itunes supported codec) and because I have to use itunes to transfer my ipod music it still gets used, but only to add a couple of albums every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I currently have a creatize zen and usually use mediamonkey for all my organising needs.

I think someone is getting me an ipod touch for xmas.

Just to confirm, media monkey can be used to transfer music to an ipod? Are other software used for bringing videos/pictures onto it?

Apologies for the innocence of the question ;)

Mactard wrote: »
    As for that "Drag and Drop is more trouble than it is worth comment", well, that's your opinion but that doesn't make you correct :) I think that being limitted to software transfer only is more trouble than it is worth, as I like choice and I like a bit more freedom with how I use my DAP.
    Ah, of course, I agree, it is only my opinion but I just cannot conceive of any argument in support of "drag and drop" over a software interface: What freedom do you get from doing everything at the OS level that you fail to get when using an application (any such application) specifically designed to assist in music management?

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Just to confirm, media monkey can be used to transfer music to an ipod?
    Yes
    Dodge wrote: »
    Are other software used for bringing videos/pictures onto it?
    Well iTunes will do that for a start, not sure if MediaMonkey handles videos

Advertisement