Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Rock in Dundrum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Shop is way (x10) to expensive. Wait till you get to the resort and deal with people on the ground.

If your lucky the shop can let you try the skis before you buy - this happened to me in Zell am See two seasons ago. Told them what I was looking for, they advised and left 5 pairs of skis to one side for me to try. No deposit, no credit card just come back when you’ve made your mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Fair enough,but what about the deal they have on offer.339 for skis,poles,bindings,bag and boots.I know it might not be the highest quality but seems like a good deal for my GF a 2nd time skiier.
    Would people advise against this offer in favor of another abroad but i really cant see that deal being beaten.maybe im wrong???

I just figure that if she had skis theyd pay themslves back over a few years,thats if they last the few years which im assuuming they would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

But you can't really know what you want from your skis if it's only your second time. I dunno I think it's a waste of money so early on. Plus I'd say there's better value to be had second hand in resort with regards skis. I'd also be reluctant to buy boots in Dublin because they may not be fitted correctly which can result in agony!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

We're also neglecting one thing here folks, how nice it feels to have your own stuff, and not have to be sharing with hundreds of others. Even if the quality is not as good as some rental gear, at least its your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

My 2c worth - for a 2nd time skier then its not worth bothering with buying skis. Boots? Yes i would say it is worth having your own.

I would wait until I got to resort to pick up a pair of boots to ensure the best fit and type for your ability.

If you do decide to buy your own skis then beware though as ski carridge can work out almost as expensive as hiring. Easyjet, Ryanair, charter airlines (Crystal and the like) will charge you for carrying your skis on the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Don1 wrote: »
    We're also neglecting one thing here folks, how nice it feels to have your own stuff, and not have to be sharing with hundreds of others. Even if the quality is not as good as some rental gear, at least its your own!

Yeah I completely understand that I'd love to have my own gear but I still think you'd get better skis second hand in resort. Even a better selection of new skis. Buying snow sports equipment in Ireland is a bit of a rip off and the selection isn't great either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Oh I agree entirely, I was just putting that point up for the rental versus ownership! I sooner own mediocre gear than rent better stuff. Although, I don't own mediocre gear anymore, I upgraded everything over the last year. :p I'm just saying! :p

tywy wrote: »
    But you can't really know what you want from your skis if it's only your second time. I dunno I think it's a waste of money so early on. Plus I'd say there's better value to be had second hand in resort with regards skis. I'd also be reluctant to buy boots in Dublin because they may not be fitted correctly which can result in agony!

Surely though in a reputable store like snownrock theyre not going to give you ill fitted boots?!! the lads out there seem very professional,did all types of tests on her feet for best fit ,i dont think theyre generic boots that theyd just throw on.Plus you have the added comfort of a guarantee that they give on the boots in case of damage,id assume.

Its 18 euro return to carry the skis on the plane,not bad but i think shes leaning more towards just getting the boots now.
    Are they much cheaper aborad??,we're going to meribel and from what i hear its quite expensive

i appreciate all the comments,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 djgos

Sorry if this is not directly about Snow & Rock or Skiing Gear. Unpatriotic as it may be, I caved in before Christmas. Between price, availibility of products, and the messing about going froom City Centre to Northside, to Southside, I am now a convert to Internet shopping. Once you know your size in a brand you should be fine. If you don't it is easy to try on in town and then order. I paid €150 for a pair of Asics Gel Kayano in town recently. I can get them from UK, delivered, for €110. And some running gear in the same delivery. As much as the saving is the sense of disbelief at paying €150 for a pair of runners; and I can't even wear them into Tamango's:-)
    The trick is to find the right website, some do free delivery and price in euro, and have great customer service. Terrestrial retailers watch out; this recession will finally see e commerse take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Grab

Hi.. Im going snowboarding the end of january and was wondering wheres the best place to go and look for a board..??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

talk bout opening an old thread!!! lol

well you could try snow and rock in dundrum or the great outdoors in town on chatham street (just of grafton street)

other then that i have no idea...sometimes in the resort they have deals on boards but i never look to closely cause i ski not board!!! the skies can work out much cheaper tho!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

try and figure out what sort of board you want by narrowing down on what style of a boarder you predominantly are, ie; do you spend a lot of the day in the park or looking for that fresh patch of powder or you just enjoy bashing pistes like its going out of fashion. people here can recommend where is good to buy boards, and the general consensus is that online websites are cheapest but you will need to know what you are looking for before hand.

so if you are not sure what style or size board to get, let us know what your specs (height, weight, boot size) and prefered riding style is...

regarding buying boards, my first one a burton retro twin, i purchased in a rookie-styled error by getting it in the resort(livigno) along with the bindings, costing me a ridiculous amount of cash when compaired to my current one which i got for half the cash(salomon sanchez, which i prefer) online. try out sites like blue tomato, hot-zone, tsa, sputnik snowboarding, ebay in the uk, irishsnowboards, maybe even companies in the US, but beware of being caught out with post purchase import tax, as the likes of fed ex will ruin you a few weeks after delivery if your not careful... in ireland you can check out snow and rock, onboard, great outdoors, blvd, irishsnowboards, even 53 degrees north have some left from a few years back

A mate got a great deal off here- www.irishsnowboards.com

He went out and collected it and had it there and then tha day for a good price too,saved teh time and cost of overseas packing an post.I know in some cases there are bargains to be had online but i prefer the personal touch of buying here where i can adress problems with teh seller in a day rather than deal with an overseas seller.He got it tuned etc and bindings fitted all included in the price.

Advertisement