Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Rock in Dundrum

Options
  • 15-12-2008 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

hi all
    Just wondering has anybody been into Snow and Rock's new store in Dundrum. i am thinking of buying skis (for the first time) and was going to call in there over the christmas. Is there anywhere else in southern Ireland that sell skis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Ive been in there a few times and its a great shop tbh. They do have a wide selection of ski equipment but thats all i can say really since im a snowboarder :P

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Thanks, I will leave the snowboarding for the younger people. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

The Great Outdoors just off Grafton St sell them as well but I think snow and rock have a much better selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

If it were me I would wait until in resort and try a few pairs out before I commited to buying a pair.

I got my Atomics in Austria about 5 years ago - think I paid about €350. They came with the bindings thrown in for free.

Esp if you are going closer to the end of the season then they have some great bargains.

Unless of course you are an expert skier and know exactly what you want and what suits you - even then though I would not buy them in snow and rock as I find them quite expensive. I would check out the internet and resort shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Thanks, I will leave the snowboarding for the younger people. :rolleyes:
    There was a mad fecker nudging 50 I reckon in NZ on an Alpine (rocket) board. There most weeks.
    Also say a good few guys in there 50s and maybe beyond on normal boards. I'll agree that it is more youth dominated but wouldn't say its a sole preserve! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

I was out there and they did a good deal for an entire ski package including boots,bindings,poles,skis and a bag,got it for 499 which was cheaper for roughly the same deal in France.

Its a great shop and as my mate who found out recently,when the gear gets broken you can return it to be repaired,they also do other snowboard maintenance procedures.Id rather spend the money in ireland TBH unless im beng totally ripped off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've not been to the Dublin store yet but was very happy with the store in Bristol sorting me out with repairs on a set of blades that I'd ordered through their online store before but had got a bit damaged by the postman, got a free bag out of them as well on that occasion.

Got a copy of their catalogue to look through yesterday as well so I can now figure out how to spend my next pay cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

Have you noticed the price difference between their website and the Dundrum store though? Its a disgrace, a jacket that costs €250 in the store is £171 online. Even adding their £25 postage fee into account it would still work out €30 cheaper to buy online...and the £25 is per package, so buy a few things and the savings are huge...it would be madness to buy in the shop, I don't know how they can justify it. A nice selection of gear, but the staff in the great outdoors seems more knowledgable, and I think they have more there, its just spread out well in Snow and Rock so it looks like they have more....

Dont forget that the online store doesnt deliver to Ireland. Only to the North

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Tripp wrote: »
    Dont forget that the online store doesnt deliver to Ireland. Only to the North

I got a delivery from the online store just last week. With the way sterling is at the moment you can make quite a saving.

• Advertisement

Hmm thats odd then. Cause whenever i try to Order something, There is no Ireland in the drop down box for my country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Tripp wrote: »
    Hmm thats odd then. Cause whenever i try to Order something, There is no Ireland in the drop down box for my country

They have it hidden as "Eire/Rep of Ireland" ;)

Shops are always going to be more expensive as they have overheads to take care of. Also the further you go from the company's base the higher the cost due to logistics.

Obviously they will then add a bit on as its Ireland, but its not all profiteering.

As for boots and stuff, I'll be buying in Ireland as I want to try them on, get them molded and be ready to go as soon as I can afford a flight to the snow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Don1 wrote: »
    Shops are always going to be more expensive as they have overheads to take care of. Also the further you go from the company's base the higher the cost due to logistics.

Obviously they will then add a bit on as its Ireland, but its not all profiteering.

As for boots and stuff, I'll be buying in Ireland as I want to try them on, get them molded and be ready to go as soon as I can afford a flight to the snow! :D

Both stores I went into in Ireland fitted me one size too big for my ski boots so be careful. I bought in resort and I'm happy I did!

That seems unusual! You do need a bit of room for thick socks, but one size out is crazy!!I bought my snowboard boots off a friend of a friend knowing only that they were 10s, like my normal shoes. Fitted pretty much perfectly! :D

All luck of the draw in that respect I suppose, but you really should never leave a shop with ill-fitting boots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

I found shop very expensive... got spyder gear much much cheaper online

I was out there at the wkend and there a deal with 15% off everything.They had a standing offer of skis,poles,boots,bindings and a bag for 399 which is now 339.....ive checked the net and cant find anythingas good as that when you take into consideration post and package from abroad.

Theres tons of other stuff aswell out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

davmol wrote: »
    I was out there at the wkend and there a deal with 15% off everything.They had a standing offer of skis,poles,boots,bindings and a bag for 399 which is now 339.....ive checked the net and cant find anythingas good as that when you take into consideration post and package from abroad.

Theres tons of other stuff aswell out there.

Thats a very good deal.... thanks for posting bout it, must go back out.
    It was before xmas when i was in there and it was very expensive, glad to see its reducing prices.

Anyone wanna give me money to go buy more gear? I have everything I need, its just a case of want now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Thats a very good deal.... thanks for posting bout it, must go back out.
    It was before xmas when i was in there and it was very expensive, glad to see its reducing prices.

They look like crap entry level everything... the boots look really really bad - plastic buckle kinda job.

I also don't really agree with buying skis unless you ski a hell of a lot. I ski 2 weeks a year and I wouldn't bother buying skis. You get the latest technology when you rent. Skis date so quickly. A decent pair of boots is what you really need!

• Advertisement

Might be the latest tech but its used day in day out by loads of people including complete n00bs and people who don't give a crap as its "only rental gear"!
    I know myself that I mind my gear and am glad to have my own board which will do me for my few weeks a year.

tywy wrote: »
    They look like crap entry level everything... the boots look really really bad - plastic buckle kinda job.

I also don't really agree with buying skis unless you ski a hell of a lot. I ski 2 weeks a year and I wouldn't bother buying skis. You get the latest technology when you rent. Skis date so quickly. A decent pair of boots is what you really need!

For anyone who is fairly new(been once or twice before) and who goes once a year for a week skiing i think its a good offer.After a few years theyd pay thmselves back and if they lasted over time theres no reason you couldnt use them for 10+ years with proper maintenace.
    And seriously what person who goes once a year is really going to notice the differnce in performance between them and the latest skis out there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ski designs do change over the years, but unless your still riding around on straight ones it's not that much of an issue the changes from one year to the next. Functionally there is not that much new each time and once it's a pair of carving skis you have your fine. Someone doing a season will probably be buying new each year, rental places may only replace their stock after every two years though judging from the state of some that I've seen ridden around the mountains before. A season is 14(?) weeks give or take so if your only doing a couple of weeks a year yourself then buying new every 5-7 years is about right for you getting good usage out of them over their lifetime, and you'll still not be that far behind the latest designs. Also your own skis will be better looked after over that many years than the pair that you may get landed with if you rent at the end of the season.

It is probably a bigger issue with board designs changing from one year to the next, but that is just to do with the fashion type aspect of what is painted on it not being cool enough any more. ;)

I still would not recommend anyone buying their own skis until they are totally sure that they are going to be making good use of them though. Ski boots are another matter entirely though.

I have my own snowboard and have done for 4 years now its in very good nick still.
    My GFriend was looking at the deal in snowandrock for 339.She thought as we're going in february and poss next xmas and will defo go once a year for the foreseeable future,do you not think that deal would pay itsself back over 4/5 years considering you woudlnt need to rent every time you go?this is a question not a rhetorical question as i assumed your skis would last indefintely if fairly well maintained.also after how long would you need to tune then considering she goes once a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

If are going to go at least twice a year, then I would say Yes get a new Snowboard. If not though I probably wouldn't bother. its a personal thing though I could never go back to Rental boards and is it great to have one but like any bit of sport equipment you just need to be aware of the hidden costs.

What is not taken into account when you buy a new board is you also need a decent set of bindings. (Burton Missions ~€170). You also have to pay for your Snowboard bag (~€140 [Not sure of cost]) and then every time you fly you have pay for extra baggage (~€60). On top of that you also need to get your board Waxed every trip, if you cant wax it yourself (~€40)

I'm assuming here that she already has boots? They should be a priority and are very important to get right.

If you can afford a board and feel OK about the costs above then sure get one. I also think Boards only last about 2 to 3 years before you need another one to progress further but that depends on what your doing on the mountain. My last board a Rome Agent is still in very good nick for cruising around the mountain but it fails miserably in the park or when you try and get any pop

I got a santa cruz board about 4 years ago and go to the snowpark every time i go snowboarding.I find it fine for boxes ,rails and jumps and have noticed only small marks on the bottom of the board.The structure of the board seems fine and I cant imagine buying a new one as everything about it feels fine.WHat is it that would make you buy a new one as it seems a waste of a seemingly perfect snowboad?im no expert just wondered why you think i should go with a new one.

As for my GF shes been once and is happy enough cruising round the moutains and the standard ski's out in snowand rock would to me seem fine to get her for what she'd be doing ,basic skiing around the mountains.Am i wrong here?
    Im only being charged 18 euros to bring my snowboard with crystal but im sure its 60+ quid with aerlingus and ryanair.

I reckon it could be like a pair of runners that you hold on to for just a bit too long. You think they are fine and they are lovely and comfy, until you stick on the new ones, and go "ah, oops, this is waaaay better"!

Core technology as well as everything else marches on every year and the difference between a 4 year old board with high park mileage and a brand new board will be fairly sizeable I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

hmmm, I'm not so sure about the need to replace your board quite so often.

I used my jeenyus eddie wall (now the forum eddie wall) over 3 seasons (whistler, NZ, switzerland), did approx 150+ days on it. If you compare this to doing two weeks a year, then it would last you over 10 years!

Bear in mind that I do a lot of rails, you should be able to get at least 5 years of doing just two holidays a year out of a normal board.

PS: i still use the board now for dryslope, etc! Its not dead yet!

Boards maybe do take a bit more of a battering in their usage than a pair of skis would though, what with you guys doing all your craaaazy larking about in the park. ;)

I don't think I've ever been charged for taking the skis on a plane though when I've been on a tour operator oganised flight, DIY flights yes though. I even managed to get my skis all the way back from New Zealand without being charged for them as that was included in the ticket, although I did get charged €25 by BMI for the connecting DUB-LHR leg on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

No, if everything about your board suits you fine, then I don't advise you get one. My board had zero pop and was too stiff for the park so I knew I needed a new board.

Its all about your style and how you feel on the mountain. In saying that though when your on this trip you might suddenly feel like your board is not as responsive as it use to be or you just cant enough lift as you use too, then it could be time for a new board even though your old board will still look like its in perfect nick, it just wont be as good as it was for you previously.

Its also depends of course on the original board in question. A lot of beginners boards are quite stiff to help them to get use to turning and so they wont catch an edge often but after 2 -3 years of riding, I think they should progress to a better board which is more responsive so they can start hitting the park and doing rails and such.

As Don1 mentioned if you tried a new board you could suddenly see huge improvements in your riding. But again if your board suits you fine and does everything you want it too, then I don't think you should get a new one, you will know yourself when you need one.

Sorry for some reason, I though your GF was getting a new Snowboard.. I don't know very much about Ski's at all.

Advertisement