Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Diplomat/Third Secretary

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AnnCK

Anyone have any more updates? I’m pretty high on panel three and an existing civil servant so thought I’d see some movement by the end of summer but sounds like it’s completely stalled. It’s completely infuriating to be honest. Starting to feel like they just did the extra panel for the lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cadet123

AnnCK wrote: »
    Anyone have any more updates? I’m pretty high on panel three and an existing civil servant so thought I’d see some movement by the end of summer but sounds like it’s completely stalled. It’s completely infuriating to be honest. Starting to feel like they just did the extra panel for the lol.

In the second half of the second panel. I was contacted last week l after clearance. It was a long wait since clearance. But now haven't been contacted again since! Seems a bit slow, maybe people are still on holiday holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AnnCK

cadet123 wrote: »
    In the second half of the second panel. I was contacted last week l after clearance. It was a long wait since clearance. But now haven't been contacted again since! Seems a bit slow, maybe people are still on holiday holidays

Ye everything civil service wide does slow down in summer. Glad to hear you finally got contacted though! Fingers crossed you get in soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ThereYet?

Hi Cadet, did you get any update yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zs

ThereYet? wrote: »
    Hi Cadet, did you get any update yet? :)

Haha I think there is a good few of us on here that are quietly lurking and praying for any kind of update!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 eeejay

I second this. Any news?
    zs wrote: »
    Haha I think there is a good few of us on here that are quietly lurking and praying for any kind of update!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cadet123

Sorry very late reply! But I was successful so I presume they are nearing the end of the second panel by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zs

Sorry very late reply! But I was successful so I presume they are nearing the end of the second panel by now.

Just hopping in on this asap to say that I believe they have finished the second panel but have yet to begin on the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 CrouchTiger

Best of luck to those on the third panel. I've heard rumours that there are some issues with funding and budget, which may have slowed down the throughput of hires... That said, I think anyone on that panel has a much better shot of getting in now than in whatever competition comes next as there may be a significant curtailment of new positions or even another embargo if there is an emergency Brexit budget.

For anyone still lurking or wondering about progress, I've heard that further hiring may be unlikely this calendar year. I believe that things reset financially in January, so there may be better news then for those on the third panel. No news of any new competition as yet in the Department anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Susurrus

Hi to everyone still waiting, they've started calling people on the third panel. I'm not sure how many they called but I was 5th on the panel and received my email yesterday evening. Hope other people will also start to hear soon!

By the way, has anyone done the police disclosure form who lived in Scotland? I just need that but the UK has a confusing number of options for it and I'm not sure which one is correct. Scotland also seem to have a different system to England and Wales. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hughsie88

Anybody have any idea when the next competition will open? They generally tend to run every two years around August. I wonder if the times we are living in will delay this..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Leyendecker

Hughsie88 wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea when the next competition will open? They generally tend to run every two years around August. I wonder if the times we are living in will delay this..

I'm looking for an answer for this same question. They're running a Second Secretary competition now. That, and I think they announced the Third Secretary competition in 2018 in late July/August. Could be a good sign.

Anyone know anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Easton Assassin

Recently ran a Assistant Secretary role as well so signs are good that recruitment is going ahead. Where is the Second Secretary role advertised? I have not seen this.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Recently ran a Assistant Secretary role as well so signs are good that recruitment is going ahead. Where is the Second Secretary role advertised? I have not seen this.

Fairly sure there is no second secretary grade. It goes from 3rd to 1st Sec (AP level). Not sure if a First Sec role has been advertised recently

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

delricyo wrote: »
    Fairly sure there is no second secretary grade. It goes from 3rd to 1st Sec (AP level). Not sure if a First Sec role has been advertised recently

Second Secretary is for Third Secretaries when sent on foreign postings, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eeejay

Hughsie88 wrote: »

They're still calling from the 3rd panel atm... No news on a new comp. Postings and reshuffle expected from Aug onwards.

Ravelleman is right, there's no recruitment at Second Sec - that's just the designation of a Third Sec on posting. There also hasn't been a First Sec competition in quite a while.

I'd heard there was meant to be a Third Sec competition in June, but obviously that hasn't happened. They still appear to be hiring off the third panel this year, which is remarkable given some people started in early 2019 and we're heading toward 2021!

Remains to be seen if/when they'll recruit again at TS - it seems very likely they'll have limited resources to recruit and there is already a big queue for going on posting. Will be up to the priorities of the new government really.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭exitstageleft

Has anyone heard if there will be a third secretary campaign happening this year?
    I know there was supposed to be one but it's gone very quiet. PAS aren't giving anything away either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Has anyone heard if there will be a third secretary campaign happening this year?
    I know there was supposed to be one but it's gone very quiet. PAS aren't giving anything away either.

I strongly suspect that there will be a defacto barr on PS recruitment alongside an unwinding of the use of contractors across the whole of the public sector. Its up for discussion as part of the public sector pay negotiations (which are going to be tough themselves- with a freeze on increments etc on the table).

Don't assume that competitions are going ahead- and even if they do- don't assume if you get a place on the panel, that panels are going to move.........

We're in unprecedented times- and the public sector are going to be asked to do an outsized amount of financial lifting to try and bring government finances more into kilter.

Tough times ahead..........

• Advertisement

I strongly suspect that there will be a defacto barr on PS recruitment alongside an unwinding of the use of contractors across the whole of the public sector. Its up for discussion as part of the public sector pay negotiations (which are going to be tough themselves- with a freeze on increments etc on the table).

Don't assume that competitions are going ahead- and even if they do- don't assume if you get a place on the panel, that panels are going to move.........

We're in unprecedented times- and the public sector are going to be asked to do an outsized amount of financial lifting to try and bring government finances more into kilter.

Tough times ahead..........
    Thanks The_Conductor, depressing as your answer is!

Plans were still moving ahead for a competition in 2020 until very recently. It was due to be June, but I'd still expect something before year-end given the preparation. No guarantee of course, but it seemed like it was happening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Really interested in applying for this. How have people who applied in the past found it?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

Really interested in applying for this. How have people who applied in the past found it?

Great. I got it. Couldn't recommend it enough. Great job, great work, great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

HartsHat wrote: »
    Great. I got it. Couldn't recommend it enough. Great job, great work, great people.

That's really good to hear. Could I PM you for some info by any chance? I feel like reading the information booklet gives me more questions than answers lol

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

That's really good to hear. Could I PM you for some info by any chance? I feel like reading the information booklet gives me more questions than answers lol

Sure. Go for it.

Possibly time for a new thread for this latest campaign.
    See:

https://touch.boards
    .ie/thread/2058114670/1/#post114664086

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Benarros

Anyone knows how the précis writing exercise works? It seems very daunting. Where can we find good material to practice that please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement