Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How come kids in low socio-economic groups are more likely to be skangers?

Options
  • 11-12-2008 2:14pm

I presume like myself that they went/go to a state secondary school.
    They have a roof over their head like me.
    They have as much facilities as I did when I was younger.Probably more seeming as I lived in Leitrim where we don't even have a decent transport system to get to the facilities.
    I drank underage yet I am not throwing eggs at peoples house or intimidating them.
    When we were drinking,we kept it quiet as our parents would have killed us if we were caught and the cops wouldn't be afraid to bring you in the cop car back to your house.

I never seen anybody using or carrying a weapon as a teenager.
    I mitched some classes but still am studying in Uni.
    I had **** all money when I was a teenager too.
    So what is that makes them be sum like they are?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

So what is that makes them be scum like they are?

The simple answer is there are no consequences to bad behaviour for them.

They can do anything they like and get away with it so they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When we were drinking,we kept it quiet as our parents would have killed us if we were caught and the cops wouldn't be afraid to bring you in the cop car back to your house.
    Probably because their parent don't give a flying F what happens to their kids out there on the streets, unless something happens the parent can take offence to "Whaddayamean Sharon assaulted someone? She is a saint my Sharon, so she is."

This also goes for high income families.

Ergo: bad parenting = bad kids.

But I don't understand how a parent can't care.Would you not be ashamed if your son was in Mountjoy for murder?Like,don't they want their children to actually have a good life?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

its all because of the fordeners, they tuk our jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Personally i dont think it's how much material wealth you had growing up that determines the respect you have for other peoples lives or property.

I think the amount of nurture you got as a child, the boundaries your parents set you, the respect and love you were shown and taught to show others creates the basis for how act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

ibtl

Wide sweeping generalisations abound ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Cause middle class people place more of an emphaisis on trying to be respectable, go to college, social circles and all that ****e. Working class parents don't place an emphasis on that.

And remember, there's loads of exceptions to every rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

And remember, there's loads of exceptions to every rule.

Not always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Cause middle class people place more of an emphaisis on trying to be respectable, go to college, social circles and all that ****e. Working class parents don't place an emphasis on that.

Bullshi.t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

They have as much facilities as I did when I was younger.Probably more seeming as I lived in Leitrim where we don't even have a decent transport system to get to the facilities.
    I drank underage yet I am not throwing eggs at peoples house or intimidating them.

your answer is right there.

these kids' parents don't give a sh1te. the kids have no sense of pride, respect or anything like that. they have nothing to lose as they're never gonna go anywhere so they do whatever they want, and **** everybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

The vast majority of skangers are retarded. The parents are only about 16 themselves, how the feck do you expect them to act like adults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I presume (.......) like they are?

It's impossible to be specific, but - Parents - if dysfunctional people have children, theres a good possibility that the child may unfortunately end up going the same way. Add to that lack of cash, drugs, mental problems, and then the usual lack of amentities etc, and there you have a good number covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

It really refers to the poorest of the poor, where there is a "culture" of leaving school early, and early child birth.

You have barely educated young adults , brining up kids, and the cycle continues.

Also young adult parents, would not have the ability or inclination to do reading and other educational things with their children, so already they are at a disadvantage to children from homes where "A B C's" and counting etc were available, when they go to school.

According to this article..

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/081206_brain

the lower brain stimulation has a long term effect.
    ie ... they are stupid for life.

This typically leads to feelings of being excluded from the rest of society.
    And when they dont feel like the belong to the rest of "society" , they ignore it/rebel against it. And with parents, who where doing the same thing 10 years earlier, (prehaps with drink/drug/prision problems) the parents dont really care. Hence ferral children.

Dosent explain all cases, but a good overview

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Disco Bandit

I've known allot of kids of really well off parents who were far worse people than allot of the "knackers" I've known... the "knackers" mostly grew out of it and copped on, bar some bad eggs, but the rich kids are still every bit as bad as they ever were.

there are always knackers and unsocial people in all parts of society, they just express themselfs differently.

as to your question: How come kids in low socio-economic groups are more likely to be Knackers?

there are alot more kinds in this bracket, if 5 percent of them were visible problem children, and the same proportion in a higher group, there is a hell of a lot more in the low group, just by population... if you get what im sayin...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Bullshi.t.
    There is a huge amount of evidence that says that education is given a higher priority in middle class households, particularly college education, so it's not bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

Monkey see monkey do.

They live in estates full of kids whose parents dont give a damn. The older kids are already thieving and fighting, younger kids see it and do it aswell, just a continous knock on. Families that want better for their kids send the kids to a school further away, or just up and get out of those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

its the parents that make a difference regardless of your class...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

There is a huge amount of evidence that says that education is given a higher priority in middle class households, particularly college education, so it's not bull****.

Thats true. Im working class and it was never in a million years contemplated that any of us would go to college, its just not thought of.
    (I did end up going but organised and financed it myself)

Wheras middle class kids and parents expect the kids to go to college.
    Its assumed to be an automatic next step after secondary school, the parents even start saving for it when the kids are small and then pay for it for them too. Even stupid middle class kids expect a place in college.

Working classes just dont have that expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Let me tell you a story of a experience I once had.

I was working in a Council house repairing water damage. There was a young boy there, about 5 or 6 years old. He was a absolute nightmare. He would pull down shelves, kick his mother, scream for everything he wanted and was constantly in a tantrum.

Now his mother would sit there drinking tea and chatting to friends about how horrible her son was and what was she going to do. I had to work in the room and listen to it.

Seems like a tough problem, yeah? Well it wasn't, it was a fairly simple one.

He drank over 3 litres of fizzy drinks a day, not including the sweets he was gorged with and the icecream the little bastard laid into. He had more sugar in a day pumped into him then I would intake in a week and I was 4 times his bodyweight at least.

The kind of sheer stupidity in the parenting above is the reason why most of them end up a scumbag. Their parents are ignorant of the underlying reasons for why they do what they do and they end up blaming the children. The children end up having kids and the cycle starts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

bealbocht wrote: »
    It really refers to the poorest of the poor, where there is a "culture" of leaving school early, and early child birth.

You have barely educated young adults , brining up kids, and the cycle continues.

Also young adult parents, would not have the ability or inclination to do reading and other educational things with their children, so already they are at a disadvantage to children from homes where "A B C's" and counting etc were available, when they go to school.

According to this article..

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/081206_brain

the lower brain stimulation has a long term effect.
    ie ... they are stupid for life.

This typically leads to feelings of being excluded from the rest of society.
    And when they dont feel like the belong to the rest of "society" , they ignore it/rebel against it. And with parents, who where doing the same thing 10 years earlier, (prehaps with drink/drug/prision problems) the parents dont really care. Hence ferral children.

Dosent explain all cases, but a good overview

Sorry to be blunt but this post has merit. Every scummer I've met is a thick as sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

The root of the problem is there dazzler. It was made clear to you from a very young age that your actions have consequences. This is not universally the case.

Parents who believe they can do no wrong (aka bad parents), believe by corollary that their children can do no wrong. This creates children who believe they are entitled to be treated as princes regardless of their actions, and who feel unfairly victimised whenever the real world fails to live up to this fantasy. They will also tend strongly to pass these traits to their own children.

Obviously the majority of these children will grow up to be useless layabout social parasites. Over the course of generations, these people will tend to work their way towards the lower socio-economic classes.

And yes, there are rich knackers, and decent poor people. I am speaking in terms of probability </disclaimer>

edit: bah, jtsuited beat me to it
    But I don't understand how a parent can't care.Would you not be ashamed if your son was in Mountjoy for murder?Like,don't they want their children to actually have a good life?
    There's no shame, because my little johnny was a victim of circumstance, he has anger management issues and he was provoked, society let him down etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

turn 16 -> leave school -> have 6 kids -> kids turn 16 -> leave school -> have 6 kids....

vicious circle of uneducated people who are happy to claim social benefits for the rest of their lives. the more kids tey have the more money they get, people who are that selfish are never really gonna care about how their kids are raised esp when there is so many of them. some people shouldnt be allowed have kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,491 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Wagon wrote: »
    The vast majority of skangers are retarded. The parents are only about 16 themselves, how the feck do you expect them to act like adults?

Post of the week:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Because they are clearly genetically inferior to middle-class kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ahh. I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Maybe there is, I don't know, I don't go searching around for research papers of government reports on the subject but... My family would have been considered working class when I was growing up, we lived in a working class area and I went to a working class school in what most people that weren't from there would say was a very rough area. I have 3 siblings, we all went to college, it was expected of us and a reasonable amount of expectation was put on us that it was what was expected of us. In my year in school there was about 200 students. If i remember right, 7 or 8 left after there junior cert, most to do FAS trades. I can't speak for the whole year of how many went on to third level but out of my main class of about 30 in sixth year around 25 went on to college. Like I say, maybe there are some deep clinical reports on the subject that were never stuck under my nose, but from my personal experience.....that is utter bullsh1t.

To the OP, I'd say the answer is what most people are suggesting. Where you have crap parents, you will have crap kids, regardless of how much money Daddy makes. Of course drugs and alcohol and unemployment and no cash are going to increase the chances of kids being scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

It's the entire system. At the end of the day is a fifteen year old skanger starts bothering you and winding you up, if you take a swing at them, your going down for it.

They think they're absolutely invincible, I mean I only turned 21 recently and I look at the kids hanging around my family home and I just think god your all such skangers, but i'm not a skanger and would never dream of acting the way they do. I mean obviously I drank underage, and did lots of other things that aren't exactly legal but I never attatcked anyone/egged their houses or as I saw recently asked a granny to show her.... well... her lady pieces.

Although now that I think about that that was kind of funny... But not the point!

It's the system not the parents!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Scum breeding scum, nothing new there. The only difference is we are now three or four generations into this situation. Time to legalise abortion me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

I'm sure you will agree that people from lower class backgrounds will generally only tend to marry other people from lower class backgrounds..(because people from higher socio-economic classes are obviously going to try to get the best "deal" they can get and, put frankly, that isnt going to be somebody content to live off benefits and drink their heads off and be abusive).

As a result of this, bad genes will be mixing with bad genes. In this case, by bad genes I mean "genes that code for a nervous system with underdeveloped frontal lobes (which predisposes somebody towards commiting crime as the frontal lobes are responsible for forethought) and/or other brain feature commensurate with being antisocial"
    People underestimate the contribution genetics makes to the personality of person and, in my opinion, the main reason scumbags are the way they are in because of the saturation of bad genes amongst the lower classes.
    In fairness, if you ever watch jeremy kyle you will remark at how ever one of the people "looks like a scumbag" in terms of facial features (and i'm not talking about things like clothes or earings, thats a trend thing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Middle class kids have the advantage immediately as their parents get them learning before they start school (i could read at 3) and help them out with school ect.

This leaves the lower class kids at the bottom of the class, and they lose interest in school very quickly (it should be common knowledge that people are not going to keep up an interest if their sh!te at something).

Those that do keep an interest in school are then faced with secondary school. In secondary school (particularly 3rd and 6th year) you're expected to do an inhumane amount of work. If you grow up in an enviroment where everyone is doing this work then it's easier to do it yourself. If you grow up in an enviroment where no-one is doing this work/supporting you with it, then it's a hell of a lot harder.

Advertisement