Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice (IRL) Post Show Discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So a complaint to the Broadcast Complaints Commission is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bond-007 wrote: »

No the BCI are looking into the Product Placement on TV3's The Apprentice. There are several advertising rules that RTE, TV3, TG4, Setanta and City have to abide by under both the TVWF EU Directive and the BCI's own codes. RTE and TG4 may not be covered by the BCI's codes on childrens advertising, however RTE are quiet strick on Children's advertising e.g. they do not advertise during programming for the Under 4s.

The BCI have monitors who monitor National and Local radio and TV for any issues surrounding advertising. AFAIK a donegal radio station was taken of the air after it was found that it breached advertising standards.

But does the BCI have the balls to act. Probably not. They are fairly relaxed when it comes to regulation and TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Elmo wrote: »
    No the BCI are looking into the Product Placement on TV3's The Apprentice. .

How do you know this ? Has there been a report elsewhere on it ? If so , have you a link or source?

Your name is made public when you make a complaint, not too sure how I'd feel about that.

How do you know this ? Has there been a report elsewhere on it ? If so , have you a link or source?

Happened to get talking to someone in the BCI who told me that the Product Placement was being investigated. I am sure they will have a report in the new year, which will be favourable to both the producers and TV3.

Sky News had news report about product placement, today.

Happened to get talking to someone in the BCI who told me that the Product Placement was being investigated. I am sure they will have a report in the new year, which will be favourable to both the producers and TV3.

Sky News had news report about product placement, today.

So then the BCI is just a token orgranisation who don't do what they say they do ? Seems pointless shutting down a regional radio station and letting a national station get away with breaking the rules. Tbh, I'm not too surprised. That damage's done, the shows have been broadcast.

Independant TV stations can more or less do what they want - look at the UK stations that constantly "push the envelope". Both Channel 4 and Sky constantly challenged broadcasting deceny or intengrity and then if BBC as much as farts on a pre-recorded show it makes the headlines like! It's rubbish.

• Advertisement

So then the BCI is just a token orgranisation who don't do what they say they do ?

I beleive that the BCI are more careful about their national services, and a little more liberal but yes you are right the BCI and the soon to be BAI will be fairly laxed in their regulation of Today FM, NewsTalk and TV3. We can already see it with the megers that have occured.

I mean if you wanted you can always apply for Q102s licence for Dublin, the same offer was not provide to anyone when TV3's licence came up for renewal.

I would say that the BAI will introduce Product Placement accross all genres bar the EU bans on News, Documenties and Children's TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So TV3 are going to get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Sizzler wrote: »

1 - What did you think of the show overall?

2 - Did Cullen do a good job as the hiring executive?

3 - Could you take Cullen seriously?

4 - Would you bring him back for another series?

5 - Would you watch this if they were to bring it back next year?

6 - What would you change for the next series?

7 - Would you be tempted to go on the show next time?

8 - What did you make of Bill's two "advisors"?

9 - Did the constant product placement pi$$ you off?

10 - Would you actually have hired any of the contestants in your place of work?

Thought I'd better answer my own questions now that the thread is up and running! (Elmo-Pay special attention to answer number 7)

1 - What did you think of the show overall? For me it was poor, nothing wrong with the format but there was a number of contributing factors which just made it look like amateurish at best. The contestants were poor (with the exception of Brenda they all had run of the mill jobs or were coming from careers that could you could drop in and out of willy nilly, such as random sales jobs, estate agent etc.) The tasks were ridiculous in the most part and poorly thought out and little things like the www.extras.ie receptionist they hired in and the Ster Trek sound FX sliding door...I could go on ! A lower budget than the UK or US versions is no excuse in my opinion. You don't need big budgets to be creative or professional.

2 - Did Cullen do a good job as the hiring executive? Eh, in a word NO. The man was a joke. He made his cash years ago and quite plainly is so far out of touch with the current workforce culture it was car crash stuff, honestly. As some people have already commented on, he played a part and undoubtedley would not be like that in a real hiring situation BUT the plain fact is the man probably hasn't recruited anybody more senior than a butler for himself in the last ten years and his appreciation and ability to question was embarrassing at times, he only short stopped of arguing with himself.

3 - Could you take Cullen seriously? No! His perpetual self contradiction and I'll comment just for the sake of it in every situation was frankly disturbing. How could you respect him for this, scripted or otherwise. The great leaders / managers do not spout shoite just for the sake of it, they listen. Quality, not quantity Bill.

4 - Would you bring him back for another series? Jesus, NO. The sad fact is that any businessman/woman in Ireland that people respect probably have a day job far more important than wanting to be associated with this show. As a lot of people have said on multiple threads here, Mick O'Leary would be fantastic as he tells it like it is, even if you don't like it. Cullen is a million miles away from the coalface and looked clueless in his questioning at times, the fact is, he has hoxy's to do his job for him for the last 20 years and this was alien. TV3, couldn't do any better as the genuine execs. have a business to run.

5 - Would you watch this if they were to bring it back next year? In honesty, probably yes, purely to see if it does any better, but frankly I wouldnt be expecting much improvement.

6 - What would you change for the next series? Theres not a lot that can't be improved, lets be fair, especially the lead role and his two lackies.

Not for 250k a year. Quite happy with current career thank you :) Although how anybody who takes themselves seriously would actually want to work for Cullen after this is mind boggling.

8 - What did you make of Bill's two "advisors"? Ridiculous. Nepitism at its absolute best. Jackie, his partner of 372 years and her nephew. Jackie ran a boutique in Blackrock back in the 1800's and she's now some sort of uber business guru ? WTF? The mute, not really sure what his talents were, he was lurking around in the background with a puss on him for the majority of his airtime and was only given a speaking part in the last 3 episodes when the producer obviously gave him remote electro-shock analysis just to make him look alive. No discernable talent and if it weren't for Bill this lad probably wouldnt have even beat some of the contestants onto the show.

SNAP Printing/ Grafton's Barbers / Renault/ Appleby's/ Garmin...FFS. They didnt even attempt subtlety.

10 - Would you actually have hired any of the contestants in your place of work? I see a previous poster said earlier in the thread that he was just a joe average worker, like us all, but you dont let that stop you having an opinion :) These people were not at the top of their careers, or anywhere near it. What were they trying to achieve here? Lets face it they didnt want the "kudos" of working for Cullen, because there isnt any. They saw the €100K salary and invariably saw the BBC series and thought this could be good for me but some of these people may never work again after this so bad was their performances. Stuart - nice chap but clueless, dopey but good natured Paddy, Orla (blonde) would be a great as a Marcel Marceau impressionist, Nikki probably found her mark as an estate agent, etc etc. Brenda was the only one that had the entrepreneurial background so it was no surprise that she won in the end.
    BCI won't do anything until someone complains.
    Done :)
    So TV3 are going to get away with it?
    Grrrr if they do :(

Dublin Airport also got a plug. They were an advertiser/sponsor also.

Thought I'd better answer my own questions now that the thread is up and running! (Elmo-Pay special attention to answer number 7)

Not for 250k a year. Quite happy with current career thank you :) Although how anybody who takes themselves seriously would actually want to work for Cullen after this is mind boggling.

8 - What did you make of Bill's two "advisors"? Ridiculous. Nepitism at its absolute best. Jackie, his partner of 372 years and her nephew. Jackie ran a boutique in Blackrock back in the 1800's and she's now some sort of uber business guru ? WTF? The mute, not really sure what his talents were, he was lurking around in the background with a puss on him for the majority of his airtime and was only given a speaking part in the last 3 episodes when the producer obviously gave him remote electro-shock analysis just to make him look alive. No discernable talent and if it weren't for Bill this lad probably wouldnt have even beat some of the contestants onto the show.

SNAP Printing/ Grafton's Barbers / Renault/ Appleby's/ Garmin...FFS. They didnt even attempt subtlety.

I thought the worst Product Placement was the 3G stores.

Why should I be interested in Number 7. As I said last night watching the repeat, you win 100,000 job not €100,000, I you have to go and work for them :( not a real competition, I wonder if it is tax free? <<< retorical question.

I didn't realise how bad the two side kicks were, that is ridiculus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Gerry Ryan was talking about dildos and penises and vaginas on his show there the other week!

OH NOES!!!11 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I thought it was great, and did us Irish proud. However I did miss a few episodes, which I would never do if it was the Alan Sugar one. So maybe not as gripping as the English one.

Yes, I think he did a great job. And I think Jackie and Brian did too. I was worried it was going to be the Irish version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Bill trying to be Alan, etc.. but it wasn't like that at all. He was who he said he was going to be, a nice guy, but firm at the same time.

Absolutely. He clearly knew what he wanted from day one, and I have to say, of all the times I watched it, the right person was always sacked in the end.

Yep, definitely.

Indeed

Don't really know to be honest. Some of the tasks were a little boring I suppose.

No because I wouldnt be able for it.

I thought they did a great job, they clearly know their stuff too.

No.

10 - Would you actually have hired any of the contestants in your place of work?
    Yes I think the both finalists were very worthy of the position, but I also think the best person won at the end of the day. I would work for/with both them women happily.

Hey, Peanut, are ye getting a Garmin,Applesby,Snap Printing etc voucher for Xmas this year ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

peanuthead wrote: »
    I thought it was great, and did us Irish proud. However I did miss a few episodes, which I would never do if it was the Alan Sugar one. So maybe not as gripping as the English one.

Yes, I think he did a great job. And I think Jackie and Brian did too. I was worried it was going to be the Irish version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Bill trying to be Alan, etc.. but it wasn't like that at all. He was who he said he was going to be, a nice guy, but firm at the same time.

Absolutely. He clearly knew what he wanted from day one, and I have to say, of all the times I watched it, the right person was always sacked in the end.

Yep, definitely.

Indeed

Don't really know to be honest. Some of the tasks were a little boring I suppose.

No.

Yes I think the both finalists were very worthy of the position, but I also think the best person won at the end of the day. I would work for/with both them women happily.

Is that you Shrek?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

peanuthead wrote: »

Yep, definitely.

Indeed

No.

So do you like working at TV3 then ;)

So do you like working at TV3 then ;)

Even I think that is a bit unfair!!! Peanuthead might be honest, but the post lacks little criticism. Overall it was a well produced show, and the producers had probably nothing like NBCs or BBCs budget, and for that they must be congratulated. But even NBCs and BBCs version suffer from mediocrity allot of the time. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Watching Prime Time Investigates tonight, I think Bill should have hired this lady:

http://pipl.com/directory/people/Mary%2520Lee/Rhodes

Even I think that is a bit unfair!!! Peanuthead might be honest,

Gordan's said that there's a lot of TV3 shills popping up lately.

Watching Prime Time Investigates tonight, I think Bill should have hired this lady:

http://pipl.com/directory/people/Mary%2520Lee/Rhodes

Why ? that link doesn't tell me much about her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Mary Lee Rhodes!! Remember all the talk about Liathroidi?

Advertisement