Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice (IRL) Post Show Discussion

Options
  • 10-12-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

I was going to start a new thread but probably no point ? (Mods?)

There has been a lot of critique on all of these threads since the show was announced some 6 months ago and no doubt some people have changed their opinions on the show having seen it over the past few weeks but I was curious to know what people thought of it now that its over.

Try and forget about measuring it up against the UK & US versions, both are very different so theres no point harping on about them! Try and answer the questions independently based on what you saw on the Irish version :)

I have my own opinions on the below, anybody who read my posts throughout the course of the series probably know what I thought of it anyway ;)

1 - What did you think of the show overall?

2 - Did Cullen do a good job as the hiring executive?

3 - Could you take Cullen seriously?

4 - Would you bring him back for another series?

5 - Would you watch this if they were to bring it back next year?

6 - What would you change for the next series?

7 - Would you be tempted to go on the show next time?

8 - What did you make of Bill's two "advisors"?

9 - Did the constant product placement pi$$ you off?

10 - Would you actually have hired any of the contestants in your place of work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

There were some genuine entertaining moments but overall it dragged on a bit long.

Well that's neither here nor there. People don't get hired to jobs like this, he was playing the part of an executive I thought. In that part he was inconsistence and hypocritcal.

No. One week someone's fired for breaking the rules , next week he berrates someone for not breaking the law and a winning team was disqualified on a rubbish technicality.

Nope. I'd like to see someone with some more charisma or character. Someone like Duncan Banantyne.

Nope, doubt it. Maybe if I was bored but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

I don't know, I'm not a production executive. The show is a glorified advertisement for various products. If there was some way of making it without the ads and adding some integrity or actual professional realism then I'd interested.

No.

Scary. One has a face of melted plastic and the other is an emotionless robot. Look at the UK Dragon's Den to see what type of millionaires or business people make for good TV.

Yep. And I'd probably not buy any of them. Wouldn't be surprised if Garmin paid someone a few extra bob for such a notoriously difficult/impossible task.

10 - Would you actually have hired any of the contestants in your place of work?

I'm an average basic worker myself not an employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

As i've said before, for a TV3 production, it was great TV.

I think he was good but very inconsistant. You could see he cared about what he was doing though. I suppose i would be too if I had to hand over €100,000 for a years work.

Mostly yes.

No. I'd like to see someone else.

Yes, very much so.

Less ads and more thought put into the tasks. More behind the scenes footage too might be nice.

I would but getting 12 weeks off might cause a problem financially.

Awful really. Its hard to take Jackie seriously because of her appearance. She would never have gotten the gig if she wasn't Bills other half. The other fella has no personality either. Both should go.

Yes but welcome to the real world folks.

Yes, Brenda and maybe Shane if he could cut down on the sexist comments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sizzler wrote: »

1. Poor. Its served more as a advertising vehicle for Cullen's businesses and to a lesser degree, sponsors of the show. The show cant be taken serious in any way.

2. While he is successful in the business world, i found him lacking charisma and respect on the show. His rambling lectures, contradictory criticism and boardroom entry from the toilet?! (:D) just served to amplify this IMO. Perhaps his hands were tied due to the show format, either way, it sucked. If i didnt know who he was in real life, id be laughing at the chap!

3. no, see above. He critisised people for the sack of critisising people. The most comical moment being his rant at the Aussie girl for not breaking the law and selling in Glendalough anyway when the previous week he lambasting someone for not doing the homework in advance.

4. No

5. Unless they get someone Like Mick O'Leary or Denis O'Brien, then no.

6. Air repeats of Wanderly Wagon instead.

7. No. Anyone who believes they would make a good entrepreneur or executive manager is out there doing it. Just like in Bill's case, you just go out there and take the risks. CEO's and MD's are not created in lotteries or game shows.

8. Advisors. Simple as. Nothing more or less. cant comment on their credibility tho as it wasnt demonstrated on the show. They could have been 2 consultants from Doilette for all we know!

9. Im amazed the BCI didnt take action!

10. As senior management, no. As employees, depending on the other candidates maybe. Brenda has run businesses before, she was the strongest contender. But you didnt need to sit through a series of the show to find that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

1-exactly as i suspected it would be.same as every irish format of an international show.garbage.
    2-i think he was just playing a character.
    3-No
    4-No.Someone like Michael O'Leary though. . . .
    5-Not with Cullen in charge.
    6-See previous answers
    7-No.If you mess up you are painted as a total muppet.Career suicide.
    8-Playing a role aswell.
    9-Never noticed.
    10-Orla,but just to make coffee,cos she is a bit hawt.:D(only reason she was on the show IMO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

6.5 out of 10
    Well they were coming to work for him so he could choose who he wants
    No
    Id like to see someone with a bit more gravitas i.e. Michael O Leary
    Probably
    Crappy budgets the teams were given for tasks circa 200/300 euro.
    No way - there was only 4 or 5 normal people on that show.
    They were fine nothing special - those HR advisors were bad though
    No - it was unavoidable as they were working with real businesses
    10 - Would you actually have hired any of the contestants in your place of work?[/QUOTE]
    Id hire the winner, I thought Nicki came up to scratch towards the end. The car sales guy was ok apart from the fact he found it hard to express his thoughts lucidly. I didnt really get a sense that any of the others were much good. The marketing people I thought really showed themselves up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

nedtheshed wrote: »
    10-Orla,but just to make coffee,cos she is a bit hawt.:D(only reason she was on the show IMO)
    Which Orla?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Which Orla?

I bet he picks Orla Power, the dog:pac:

Could you imagine the bitching her and Avril could do if they worked in the same office.

I would watch another series of the show if they go ahead with it. Feic all else to do on a Monday night so it was watchable television. The last few weeks did provide loads of cringey moments.
    Bill was ok but he was very hypocritical which was annoying. You can't help but think that if you did either/or in any given situation he was still going to berate you for it.
    Question - who buys a friggin Sat Nav on the way to Croker for an All Ireland Game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It was watchable enough but I was more forgiving because it was Irish (I like seeing Irish people on TV).

He was a bit inconsistent tbh.

Yes but because he's done well in business rather than based on the show.

Yeah, he'll improve.

Most likely.

More varied tasks, less product placement.

No. If I wanted to get into business, I'd rather do it on my own than have a camera crew and Bill Cullen breathing down my neck.

Jackie's ok; the other guy's a bit of an eejit.

Yes.

Hmmm. Some were ok; the bitchy and childish ones no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

simu wrote: »

Jackie's ok; the other guy's a bit of an eejit.

You know Jackie has never run a successful business of her own? It's strange that she can be a judge, but at the same time if Danni Minogue can judge X-factor...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

You know Jackie has never run a successful business of her own? It's strange that she can be a judge, but at the same time if Danni Minogue can judge X-factor...

I don't know what sort of CV she has tbh but she came out ok on the show, I thought. Not wonderful but ok. The role seemed to require common sense and observational skills more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Which Orla?

There were 2?
    I mean the blonde one.Looks kinda like the Northern Ireland Orlaith offa big brother a couple of years ago.
    Dim-witted as fcuk but you would still throw it into her.
    :pac:

simu wrote: »
    I don't know what sort of CV she has tbh but she came out ok on the show, I thought. Not wonderful but ok. The role seemed to require common sense and observational skills more than anything else.

In other words, she has eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Not over surprised, it was a cringeworthy as the US and English versions. Which is what you want from the series. I didn't think that the tasks where as good as either of the other 2 versions. I felt that they where given more then they should have been given.

Yes I think he played the roll well.

As seriously as I can take Sugar!!!!

I don't think it will get another series. Unfortunately.

Yes, but I don't think they will

The blue lights in the board room and the receptions office. Make them do a bit of work for the tasks.

I am guessing you are and you should go for it but no just wouldn't be for me.

Thought the woman was better then the english woman.

Yes and No. It actually depends on the product. No offence to Supermacs, but for a business show the product placement was miss directed and also brought down the show. But thats what producers/editors etc have to deal with when Product placement is legalised.

And I would have been very annoied if I was AE, when Addidas got a huge add without paying any money. The addidas logo should have been blocked.

The girl who won but no prob not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Elmo wrote: »

And I would have been very annoied if I was AE, when Addidas got a huge add without paying any money. The addidas logo should have been blocked.

But why should it have been blocked? I was surprised they didn't block it, but at least it showed that the advertisers didn't get to dictate the content?

From what I recall the american one was way OTT on the product placement with every candidate talking about the merits of each brand each week. It didn't feel like that on this but I'm still in conflict as to whether it worked or not.

Wheels wrote: »
    But why should it have been blocked? I was surprised they didn't block it, but at least it showed that the advertisers didn't get to dictate the content?

From what I recall the american one was way OTT on the product placement with every candidate talking about the merits of each brand each week. It didn't feel like that on this but I'm still in conflict as to whether it worked or not.

Most product placements that aren't part of the show are blocked look at MTV, every logo is blocked on cribs. TV3/ITV block out the Coca Cola adverts on American Idol.

I am taking it from the point of view of EA Games not the viewers. Addidas got a free ad. I would be annoied if I was EA.

But it was illegal, product placement is not allowed under the Television Without Frountiers Directive and TV3 have plenty of money without the need to have product placements as well.

This will change in Dec 2009, the BCI will need to make a list of genres where it is allowed, bar News, Documentries and Childrens.

Did ye read my post ? I linked to a document listing the BCI codes which include a product placement one.

Did ye read my post ? I linked to a document listing the BCI codes which include a product placement one.

Yes I was just mentioning that Product Placement is illegal currently and that in Dec 2009 if the BCI want to allow Product Placement in certain genres then they must make a list of those genres. I wasn't Ignoring your post.

Yes I was just mentioning that Product Placement is illegal currently and that in Dec 2009 if the BCI want to allow Product Placement in certain genres then they must make a list of those genres. I wasn't Ignoring your post.

Ah cool. Well I'm surprised the BCI havn't done anything. RTE's recent output's been a bit risky. They've 2libel complaints against them from their Prime Time show, there was that Late Late Show, Gerry Ryan was talking about dildos and penises and vaginas on his show there the other week!

BCI won't do anything until someone complains.

• Advertisement

I guess someone will have to complain then :)

That's a silly rule. If a guard is walking down a street and sees someone being shot, stabbed or robbing a house they'll obviously do something not wait around for someone to ring them up and say "oh btw I'm being stabbed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Davido84

The start was a bit slow and I am a bit of skeptic when it comes to Irish reality TV productions, but the last five weeks i think the show got legs and found it's feet but i do believe it is all down to he man Bill Cullen

He did i think he's straight up and if it wasn't a TV production I imagine his choice of word would be effin this and that even if he did read "all the bukes in ". :D

Maybe in a job situation but not as the star of the apprentice, he's a funny character.

Definitely

Yes I would the production has got all the elements of the UK/US version but with an Irish twist.

Make sure bill gives the candidates a harder time really stress them

I would yes, but I wouldn’t stop laughing

I thought they were good had the perfect persona for the role question is the lady advisor Bill’s wife?

Not really I think its standard

Well I quite enjoy the idea of a “Sales Assassin” so probably Stuart :)

I wonder did Snap Printing pay for their placement?

I wonder did Snap Printing pay for their placement?

The gas thing is , they were probably providing the show with the printing stuff for free! Yet in the tasks you saw them haggling with them over the price of stuff.

Davido84 wrote: »

Not really I think its standard

Read the other posts pointing out that Product Placement is Illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

Read the other posts pointing out that Product Placement is Illegal.

But are those guys like Snap and Supermacs not all just sponsors of the show? Don't all the names come up at the very last screen?

I'll come back to answer the extensive questions when I have time. In brief, I feel cheated and betrayed by Bill's lack of consistency, but I still really enjoyed the show, I think he and the sidekicks will improve, I will definitely watch it next time, and no, I would never EVER dream of going on the show myself.

On a sidenote: I might have been curious to see if I could successfully pass myself off as a 32 year old (am 42), but sure that's been done now!

"ae" "addidas" "annoied"

Learn to type people ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

BolBill wrote: »

People people people people people ... easy.

Oh, you mean "Learn to type, people".
    Ah. :D

• Advertisement

BolBill wrote: »
    "ae" "addidas" "annoied"

I appolopgise for my lake of tuping skylls. But I think it is my Dyslexia more then my typing skills that is coming out in my posts.

AE should of course read EA Games. I don't know how to spell Addisa??? and I get annoyed when people point out my lack of spelling skills. Please don't post OTT. If you want to complain about a Dyslexic's use of a keyboard please PM me :)
    But are those guys like Snap and Supermacs not all just sponsors of the show? Don't all the names come up at the very last screen?

No they are product placement sponsors the main sponsor is TSB. (I won't try to spell the first part of the TSB bank's name :) )

Advertisement