Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football photography anyone? Sun 14th, Tolka Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

The advertising hoardings in Tolka Park are on the wall that surrounds the pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Yeah, where else would they be? The guys are going to be inside the wall, pitchside. Now if the wind (if there is any) is blowing down the pitch into your face, the wall is of no use.

whyulittle wrote: »
    the advertising hoardings will block you from the wind, .

Sorry i was under the impression that you were suggesting being behind the hoardings like in Croker, which would be impossible in Tolka as thats the walway in front of stands!

Sorry i was under the impression that you were suggesting being behind the hoardings like in Croker, which would be impossible in Tolka as thats the walway in front of stands!

I know. ;)

I have never shot in Tolka and think it would be quite dangerous the gap between sideline and Pitch is very small, I remember nearly being cut in too by Eoin Heary in a sliding tackle and I was on the bench!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Can i have the corner without the wind!! : )

Followin this thread, i just got day job and year end stuff to do.

Would love the experience, been to Hillsborough many times and never thought of camera angles much to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Can i have the corner without the wind!! : )

Would love the experience, been to Hillsborough many times and never thought of camera angles much to be honest.

I'll have first choice of corners, thank you!!! :eek:

Position is very important. For anyone who's never shot football before, I can give a few pointers.

Again, wrap up warm !!!! And bring something to sit on (plastic bag, all weather trousers, small seat, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Sounds good hopefully will see some nice shots up here...I'm sure one battery in the 5D will cover the event..I could easily get 400 pics off my 300D...And thats only 3fps too sowith the upgraded technology since then it should be fine...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have extra batteries for a 5d/40d if anybody wants to use one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Cheers Borderfox, If I run into difficulty I'll ask :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

There are limited spots in Tolka for snapping with only really two good positions.

Of those one is weather dependent in that if Sunday is a sunny day then it is the best spot to photograph from.

As Dodgykeeper said earlier, the pitch is very tight to the wall and bear in mind city- exiles observation of the assistant referee.(May not be in use as the game is a charity event).

If the day is overcast and they don't turn on the floodlights then getting sharp action freeeze images may not be possible above 2.8.

For those not used to sports snapping try not to use auto settings. This is a great opportunity to learn how to use your camera on manual, if confident enough, or aperture priority.

Wrap up well, 90 mins can feel like a long time on a cold day, bring something to sit on and if possible a monopod.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Paulw wrote: »
    I'll have first choice of corners, thank you!!! :eek:

Since you're covering the game, shouldn't you be around the half-way line? :p
    Depends what you're looking for, I guess.

Crap light and freezing my ass off, a walk in the park for me!!

City-Exile wrote: »
    Since you're covering the game, shouldn't you be around the half-way line? :p
    Depends what you're looking for, I guess.

Well, it's the same club playing both teams - Sat team Vs Sun team. Since I'm covering both normally, I'll just pick a spot and stay there.

Actually, I know where I'll probably sit, but will see on the day.

The halfway line, on the Riverside Stand, facing the Richmond Road Stand?

Due to the weather a number of games have been cancelled for the weekend.

No news yet on this Sunday game, but make sure to check the Phoenix Rovers website, just in case it's cancelled.

Hopefully it'll still go ahead. :confused:

Just had a call, that there will be a 10am pitch inspection tomorrow morning. This morning (due to weather yesterday), the pitch was unplayable. However, at 4pm, it was deemed 50/50 for the game to go ahead tomorrow.

As soon as I hear anything, I'll update.

Weather is supposed to be good tomorrow. Cold but clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Hopefully it'll stay dry tonight

Hi Paul,
    I wont be able to make it tomorrow, work calls so I must answer. Thanks for organising though and hope it goes ahead. Have fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's eh..snowing here, so I don't know what the story is up there.. I'm not really feeling upto it tbh. Was already sick enough this week.. Thanks anyway Paul, best of luck to everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

According to website its been cncelled and rearranged for next sunday : (

Yeah, unfortunately the pitch is just not in a good enough condition, so the game today has been cancelled, but will go ahead next Sunday, again weather permitting.

Thanks guys for the interest, and the offer is still open for next Sunday (I now have to check if I can make next Sunday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

This is a brilliant idea Paul. Wont be able to make it this time but will sometime in the future. This is the kind of thing that makes this forum such a great place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Ok, next week is no problem for me...
    Ta for all the work Paul, see ya next week!

Hope you can still make it to the boards drinks, Paulw.
    Will you miss the Arsenal v Liverpool game?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

This should put a nice thirst on ye for the drinks alright.

City-Exile wrote: »
    Hope you can still make it to the boards drinks, Paulw.
    Will you miss the Arsenal v Liverpool game?

Boards drinks? Must check that out.

I'd prefer a live game to photograph rather than watching Liverpool beat Arsenal again. :D

Wi-Fi should keep me updated with the score though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

mmm didn't realise this clashed with the Arsenal/Liverpool game... :mad:
    You fancy some betting on your beloved Liverpool then Paulie?
    And Boards drinkies too....will hedge my bets til as late as possible..

• Advertisement

Shame about the clash. I'd certainly bet that Arsenal won't win, but with current form, may end in a draw.

I don't have any update/details yet for the game next Sunday, but I'll be in touch with the club during the week.

Advertisement