Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football photography anyone? Sun 14th, Tolka Park

Options
  • 10-12-2008 12:00am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I've been asked to cover a game this Sunday (14th Dec) in Tolka Park, 2pm kickoff. It's a benefit game. More details here.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, please feel free to come along. It might be good experience for anyone interested in trying some sports photography, in Tolka Park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Always wanted to give it a shot, shame I only have a 450D with the kit lens and 50mm 1.4... but no zoom... :-( Wonder if it'd be worth my while having a go anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Not sure if I can make this as in work later but...would you have to make arrangements ahead of the game top sit at pitchside or can you just turn up on the day with the Cam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Sounds good, will have to swing over for this.

Hah! looking at their results/fixtures this season they've actually played a team called Aston Village!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

davenewt wrote: »
    Always wanted to give it a shot, shame I only have a 450D with the kit lens and 50mm 1.4... but no zoom... :-( Wonder if it'd be worth my while having a go anyway?

50mm and kit lens mightn't be of much use, but I could possibly let you borrow a 100-400mm lens for the game?

• Advertisement

Not sure if I can make this as in work later but...would you have to make arrangements ahead of the game top sit at pitchside or can you just turn up on the day with the Cam?

The only arrangement would be to let me know if you plan to attend. I need to let the club know that I'll be bringing 3-4 other photographers.

They may even get more photographers at this match than Shelbourne normally get for an FAI League game. :D

Paulw wrote: »
    50mm and kit lens mightn't be of much use, but I could possibly let you borrow a 100-400mm lens for the game?
    Thanks so much for the offer Paul. Need to find out if I'm free on Sunday, hope so... will drop you a note later to let you know for definite. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Beware of harsh winter sun and shadows in Tolka Park.
    It's a nightmare of a place to shoot!
    Anyone who has never covered sport, but intends to travel to this, make sure you wrap up really warm and bring wet gear.

In football, the game is the most important thing, so don't cause an obstruction and always obey officials.

Tolka Park has a tight pitch, so don't sit on the line that the assistant referee is running.

davenewt wrote: »
    Need to find out if I'm free on Sunday

Listen to me. Free on Sunday? I'm not even in the country on Sunday. Sorry Paul, but thanks again for the heads up and offer of a lens... some other time maybe!

Back in my box...

Not a problem.

Well, if anyone else is interested, they're welcome to come along, and I'll have a few lenses that you can try. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I'd be interested in going. I just upgraded to a 40D so it'll be good to try something new with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I would be keen to try this out(freeze my nuts off).
    Might not have the best lenses for this, except 18-200 VR for my D300 or an old cheap 70-300.
    Saving up for the 2.8

Well, for Tolka, you can get away with 200mm. You're right at the pitch. Your lenses should be fine for it.

The game will give people some experience shooting football from right at pitchside.

Things to bring - warm cloths, hat, gloves, something to sit on (plastic bag or little stool/seat), and your camera gear.

It's not a big game and it's a charity event.

Paul, how about you give people an assignment?
    Ask them to get a certain few shots and submit them after the game (Before Monday night).
    Just to give the feel of actually covering the game with a purpose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sounds good Paul,
    if you have room I would love to shoot in a dingy place like Tolka Park :)

City-Exile wrote: »
    Ask them to get a certain few shots and submit them after the game (Before Monday night).

Already had that in mind. Depending on how many turn up. Was hoping to have 4 people (myself included). One to take each corner of the pitch, and just cover their quarter of the pitch. That should be good coverage.

You'd also get a good cross cover of the box, and any goal shots.

Obviously gear and experience will differ, but being in the right place to catch a special moment can matter more.

I've a good relationship with the club (they play in the park outside my place), so I go out and watch them (and take photos) any time I can. They're a good bunch of lads, and a laugh.

I'd love to see what results people can get. At the end of the day, there is no pressure on anyone (except me) to get good images. The club are delighted to get more photographers, and may be prepared to buy some prints (no promises though).

Maybe on Monday we can each post 1 or 2 images from the game, and have a boards vote - best photo and I'll buy the winner 2 pints (come on, there's a recession on out there now). :D Or maybe just have 3 selected boards shooters to judge the images??

When you say submit I'm not sure what you mean, Pros do have laptops with them, I won't have any laptop with me but I am fairly quick at PPing as when I do gig photos I normally do a fair few in 1 sitting.
    Also at this game I will be shooting in predict and not burst so I would imagine that would save me time too.
    Also Borderfox is a pro he should be disqualified. :p

Already had that in mind. Depending on how many turn up. Was hoping to have 4 people (myself included). One to take each corner of the pitch, and just cover their quarter of the pitch. That should be good coverage.
    Fantastic idea.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Sounds good Paul,
    if you have room I would love to shoot in a dingy place like Tolka Park :)

Loads of room ... not sure how many photographers Tolka is used to getting (4-5 I'd guess), so for this little charity game, we may have more photographers than Shels are used to seeing. :D

It's a fun event and can be used by anyone to try their hand at football photography, with no pressure.

When you say submit I'm not sure what you mean, Pros do have laptops with them, I won't have any laptop with me but I am fairly quick at PPing as when I do gig photos I normally do a fair few in 1 sitting.
    Also at this game I will be shooting in predict and not burst so I would imagine that would save me time too.
    Also Borderfox is a pro he should be disqualified. :p

LOL.

By submit, I gather he means post to flickr/pix sometime Monday. I won't be bringing a laptop with me, and will PP when I get home later that evening.

As for Borderfox being a pro, I'd nearly bet that you've been to more football matches than he. LOL

• Advertisement

When you say submit I'm not sure what you mean ...

I mean people go home, pick out their best shots, which are within the brief assigned by Paul and then post them on pix.ie, flickr, or wherever, before Monday night.

It would obviously just be a bit of fun, but we could have a thread here, with a collection of the results. People could then compare and learn from each other.

LOL.

By submit, I gather he means post to flickr/pix sometime Monday. I won't be bringing a laptop with me, and will PP when I get home later that evening.

As for Borderfox being a pro, I'd nearly bet that you've been to more football matches than he. LOL

A) Well I had to doublecheck like didn't I?

B) Good point, I forgot as your website put it ever so well "A knowledge of the game helps"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

hmm.. might be a nice way to break in the 5D.. now if only i had more than one battery >_< and eh, knew how to get there :pac:

Why would you need more than 1 battery?
    My 40D battery has never ran out in such a short time, just as well as I only have 1. :pac:

Challengemaster, do you know where Drumcondra is?
    Well there's a bridge on the main road out to the airport and it crosses the river Tolka.
    The stadium is a short walk from that bridge.
    If you can find Fagan's pub, Bertie Ahern's local, then you'll find the ground from there.

Challengemaster, do you know where Drumcondra is?
    Well there's a bridge on the main road out to the airport and it crosses the river Tolka.
    The stadium is a short walk from that bridge.
    If you can find Fagan's pub, Bertie Ahern's local, then you'll find the ground from there.

TBH, I've no idea where I'm going once I get into Dublin :pac: :o

I just tend to wander around and hope I find somewhere that looks familiar.. Next year will be _so_ fun :eek:
    Why would you need more than 1 battery?
    My 40D battery has never ran out in such a short time, just as well as I only have 1.
    Tbh, Haven't really a clue how good the 5D batteries are yet.. and I really never like chancing things :D I did have 6 batteries for my 400D like!

If you get to the Ilac centre for 1ish I can pick you up and drive from there.
    I can pm my phone number.

If you get to the Ilac centre for 1ish I can pick you up and drive from there.
    I can pm my phone number.

Cool.

1 battery should be plenty, depending on how many photos you plan to take.

Here's Tolka Park on google -

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=53.3674556788,+-6.25185445337&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.406222,79.101563&ie=UTF8&ll=53.368863,-6.251864&spn=0.011164,0.038624&z=15&g=53.3674556788,+-6.25185445337&iwloc=addr

Anyone wants to drop me a PM, I'll give them my number, though I doubt there will be any issues getting in. I've already told the club that I'll be bringing a few photographers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

If I could re-iterate one piece of advice already given. Do bring a little fold up stool, or wet gear to sit directly on the ground. Apart from making your shots look better, the advertising hoardings will block you from the wind, and as most of you probably don't have a monopod, it will help not have your arms hanging off you by the end.

Advertisement