Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet in Lidl - Bargain warning

Options
  • 09-12-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

There will be a tablet in Lidl from Monday the 15th. It is almost A4 size. I have bought the same one in Aldi last year with different name, but it is the one.
    I have to say that I am very happy with it for it's price. Working correctly for more than one year and in my opinion it is very good value for the money.

Link is here and the price is €50 minus Cent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

I have the one that came out last year
    it's full A4, you can put an A4 sheet of paper under it's plastic cover and fits perfectly

works well, you need to get rid of your mouse for a while to get used to use it
    otherwise it will lay around with very little use
    very effective on retouching

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

How does it compare with a Wacom?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Never tried Wacom. They must be much better (because they are more expensive), and the A5 size is not a disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

CabanSail wrote: »
    How does it compare with a Wacom?

I use the Adli version and afaik it's a rebadged Wacom with the part/serial number relating directly to a Wacom pad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

what are the benefits of using one of these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i had a cheap one like the lidl one

now i have a A5 wide wacom

and i use it everyday. i must say once you have used the cheap one then use the wacom for a while. the wacom is soooo much nicer.

the trick to it is put the mouse in the drawer and use the tablet for a few days (which will be hell) then you be ok with the tablet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

STC, what is it about the Wacom that makes it nicer? Just the feel or what?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I've got a wacom graphire and it's lovely, can't beat it for minute work in photoshop. Drawing is fun with it also. Haven't tried aiptek but by the specs it looks good. 1024 pressure levels and the shortcut keys look good too.

more accurate

pen sooo much better, both feel and stable

no batteries in the pen etc

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ablelocks wrote: »
    what are the benefits of using one of these?
    The position of the pen directly relates to the position of the pointer in your image manipulation software. A mouse has an "acceleration" capability that allows the pointer to move just a little if you move it slowly, and much more if you move it faster - handy for zipping around a user interface, but a bit unpredictable when doing fiddly work with a dodge/burn tool or whatever.

If you move a tablet pen in a perfect circle, it will draw a perfect circle on screen. If you move a mouse in a perfect circle, the on-screen result will depend on how fast you move it.

Also, tablets are pressure-sensitive, which lets you control the magnitude of the effect the tool you're using has by leaning harder on it.

• Advertisement

i have things like the scrollers on either side of the tablet set up to change the brush size for example in photoshop

this is a real time saver when painting masks or dodging etc

ie with left hand can change the size of brush while holding pen in other hand

i dont find the pen a problem when doing fine stuff either. i have the other scroller set up to zoom the image, so that along with the pen makes it very quick, and actually look a lot more natural

Some more information on tablets in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

Think I'll give this a shot. I use a Wacom in work but don't fancy spending over €300 on one for home too.

my a5wide wacom was 265 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I was just wondering if the size alone of this tablet makes it a better buy than the postcard sized Wacom Bamboo One tablet that's 29 euro on pixmania.com atm ?Does size really matter when it comes to tablets or should brand name be the guiding feature here?

In fairness, I had to get used to use such large tablet. But once you get used to it, it magnificent. And the larger tablet - the better accuracy and precision of your pointing, drawing, selecting,...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Hi,
    Total noob to tablets here so go easy on me ;)

Im looking into using a tablet to keep notes on for my exams coming up soon.
    How useful would this tablet be for that?

Im doing physics / applied maths type questions that need a diagram followed by 20 odd lines of equations.

Can i somehow write all this out into photoshop using the lidl tablet and then save it as a jpeg?

Has anyone got any more info on wacom tablets? Esp the one going on pixmania for almost the same price as the lidl? That one would be sweet.

Thanks
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

slemons, I think you're confusing a Tablet PC with a tablet for graphic design.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here.

One is a portable device, which gives you all the functionality of a laptop, but with a touch sensitive screen.

The other, is a drawing tool, which attaches to a PC and allows for more accurate curser control, within graphics programs.

Something like the HP Pavilion tx2500z would be more suitable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭nilhg

slemons wrote: »
    Hi,
    Total noob to tablets here so go easy on me ;)

Im looking into using a tablet to keep notes on for my exams coming up soon.
    How useful would this tablet be for that?

Im doing physics / applied maths type questions that need a diagram followed by 20 odd lines of equations.

Can i somehow write all this out into photoshop using the lidl tablet and then save it as a jpeg?

Has anyone got any more info on wacom tablets? Esp the one going on pixmania for almost the same price as the lidl? That one would be sweet.

Thanks
    John

See here
    City-Exile wrote: »
    slemons, I think you're confusing a Tablet PC with a tablet for graphic design.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here.

One is a portable device, which gives you all the functionality of a laptop, but with a touch sensitive screen.

The other, is a drawing tool, which attaches to a PC and allows for more accurate curser control, within graphics programs.

Something like the HP Pavilion tx2500z would be more suitable for you.

Loads of features built into Vista to integrate graphics tablets into the OS, not just graphics programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

nilhg wrote: »
    Loads of features built into Vista to integrate graphics tablets into the OS, not just graphics programmes.

So he's going to carry a laptop and a graphics tablet into lectures with him, is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

So he's going to carry a laptop and a graphics tablet into lectures with him, is he?

He wouldnt be the first to take a laptop with him TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭nilhg

He can if he wants, that's entirely up to him, he just asked would it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Microsoft OneNote would be good for that I think. I use it for something similar. If you've a 2007 Office licence, should be with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Thanks guys,
    No i dont have any lectures, Its all homework at my pc.
    Id like to just be able to write on a PC pad instead of an A4 refill pad and then save it onto a jpeg or something for longterm storage...

Is this possible?
    I think i remember lidl had a pad that did this before...
    any idea's?

Thanks for the tip on one-note. isnt that a piece of software though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Thanks guys,
    No i dont have any lectures, Its all homework at my pc.
    Id like to just be able to write on a PC pad instead of an A4 refill pad and then save it onto a jpeg or something for longterm storage...

Is this possible?
    any idea's?

Thanks for the tip on one-note. isnt that a piece of software though?

totally possible, and the A4 size means it works well for people who write notes on a4 paper normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

i cant believe the timing of this... only monday gone i ordered a wacom mid bamboo from apple for 199euro... and know this comes to my local eastern european based bargain store. I think im gonna still get this one from lidl to use in work instead of a mouse thus getting used to using the pen and tablet all the time.

Is this possible?
    any idea's?
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2867_4341.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Isar

what is a tablet and what do you use it for? is it a thing you carry around to show your images on or something like that? excuse me for not having a clue what it is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i personally think that the tablet is more suited for illustration and so forth, for photo retouching a mouse really does suffice, but ofcourse pressure sensitive abilities come in hand for air brushing but apart from that burn/dodge with mouse are good enough.

• Advertisement

Everytime you "touch" the image and you are not using only menus for non-destructive processing, the tablet makes it easier. Not to mention that you are holding a pen in your hand and not a mouse - it is more healthy and more natural. :-)

Advertisement