Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could only bring one lens?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

he's dead serious, tried to convince me to get it instead of the 24-70L back when.

Can't understand why people buy the 24-70 2.8 when they can get that if they're on a crop body tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

18-200mm VR

+1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Can't understand why people buy the 24-70 2.8 when they can get that if they're on a crop body tbh.

Did you mean "...canNOT get that..."?

Because it is lovely lens and the 70mm end on a crop body would be more suitable for portraits? :-)

But you're losing your whole wide angle!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

But you're losing your whole wide angle!

But the 24-70mm is one of the best 'L' lenses out there and is way better quality then the 18-55.

It's the quality of the lens that counts not the zoom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

How do others feal about lugging an SLR on long trips with lots of walking .. even with one lens its bulky when you have the rest of you baggage ?
    something compact would be so much easier !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Id bring my inherited 70-210 f4 minolta beercan. Though it may weigh a pound and a half and seems lik its made of pig iron and quite big its still tack sharp even at 210mm. Far better then modren sony/tammy/sigma 70-300. Did i mention its twenty years old next year too? :) i love that lens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

I went around the world with a Sigma 24-70 f2.8, cracking lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Get a G10 - small and good focal range ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

murpho999 wrote: »
    But the 24-70mm is one of the best 'L' lenses out there and is way better quality then the 18-55.

I'd say its a good lense. But it takes a while to get used to. The IQ is probably on a par with the 17-55 IS. But the 17-55 is lighter and on the 40D it has a more suitable focal range for traveling than the 24-70.

Dave OS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

These days my 40D tends to have the Sigma 30mm f1.4 on it most times so if I was pushed to have only one lens with me that would be the one for me.

(Unless Fajitas! wants to give me that Canon 135mm I tried on Paddy's Day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Daddio wrote: »
    Afaik you can get both, the 17-55 2.8 is the best part of €800. Looks fantastic though! Wanted to treat myself to something for christmas and unfortunately €800 is above and beyond my budget at the moment. :(
    No you can get the efs 17-55 2.8 IS or the 18-55 IS, totally diff lenses are they not?

Whoops, meant 17, not 18 at the shorter end. Either way, I meant the 2.8 IS model

Lens quality is on par with the 24-70, it's smaller and lighter but....
    oshead wrote: »
    I'd say its a good lense. But it takes a while to get used to. The IQ is probably on a par with the 17-55 IS. But the 17-55 is lighter and on the 40D it has a more suitable focal range for traveling than the 24-70.

Dave OS

Dave hit the nail on the head as regards that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well, if I did, I'd have one more thing to sell when my 5D arrives, wouldn't I? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Rhodney wrote: »
    24-70...

yep ... that would be my choice ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This is a useful review:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/24-70-review.shtml

I am in the same boat when it comes to travelling with one versatile lens. I use the Canon EOS 400D (Digital Rebel) and have the kit lens and a Sigma 70-300 apo macro.

Now I need to get an inexpensive lens to take indoor portraits at a wedding. While the 50mm f1.8 is often recommended, I think something with a bit of zoom, but still with the possibility of not using flash, would be the best option.

Canon lenses are not really within my budget.
    Is there another Sigma or a Tamron that would fit the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

My choice would be the 12-60mm lens I have for my camera, check this glowing review :)

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_12-60_2p8-4_o20/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

the best answer is your fastest one
    or maybe your fastest widest one 50mm on a cropped sensor might not be wide enough. I would be thinking of a 30 mm f1.4 lens would be the most adaptable.

if you can afford an f 2.8 zoom go for that just make sure you can go wide.

you can crop out stuff afterwards if you are too wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pippatee

+1 for the 24-105mm canon "L" lens ...never really off my camera ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Angelo Mercone

17 to 55 F2.8 nikon
    :)
    Angelo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Only ONE lens: that I currently own: would be my 50mm f1.7.
    Only ONE lens: that I don't own: maybe a small FAST zoom or a 24mm prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

No thinking to it, Nikkor 50mm/f1.4 D............. it's just borderline perfect

Simplicius

Defying Gravity since 1878.

This Human carcass was taken over by the Rodinal Chapter Of the Fifth Church of Analogue in 2008 and shall remain if at all possible hidden in darkrooms with chemicals under red lights until it ceases to function.

Welcome to the planet Analogue, we mean you no harm..

My Photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13111789@N00/

Advertisement