Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could only bring one lens?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Travelling around Japan for about 5 weeks this summer (barring any unforseen circumstances), and I only really want to bring one lens with me for convenience. It's not really a photography holiday as such - the people I'm going with wouldn't be taking any shots themselves, but I just know there'll be some moments I'll really want captured during the trip.

Just wondering what the boardsies would bring if they were limited to one lens? A tough question for many I'm sure :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

24-105 (if Canon)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Rhodney

24-70...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

18-200 VR (if on a Nikon DX Body)

Having just purchased one, I would definietly consider getting a Canon G9 or G10 for the trip. It just does SO much in a small package. Really good for travelling light.

I picked up my G9 with an extra 2 spare batteries & 2 4GB SDHC Cards for about €400 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

On yer 40D, I'd be getting an 18-55 2.8 IS... small, light enough, descreet enough, about the same price as the 24-105 and plenty better.

Throw a 50mm 1.8 in there too and you'll be sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Hmmm, will check it out alright, could come in handy.

Does anyone have any experience with the canon 28-105 f3.5/4.5 or the 50mm f1.4?

• Advertisement

That was the 1.4 you were playing with in the studio last week, tbh, I wouldn't bother with the 28-105 if you could afford the 18-55!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Out of the stuff in my bag I'd bring my Nikon 18-105 VR. I always will find the room to bring the good old Sigma 10-20 with me though :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    On yer 40D, I'd be getting an 18-55 2.8 IS... small, light enough, descreet enough, about the same price as the 24-105 and plenty better.

That's a fine lens, but beyond my budget I think. But...

/takes out binoculars and spies on adverts.ie

Would the 50mm 1.8 do a good enough job on its own or would I be kicking myself for not having a zoomer? I've got a 17-85 but it's f4-5.6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

What do you intend to shoot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

I use a EF-S 17-85 IS on my 30D. Image quality wouldn't be what I call amazing. It's quite decent enough all the same but it's the focal range it has. It's so so handy!!

I done a bit of traveling this summer and it was the only lens I used. Might be a bit slow for those low light shots but IS can help a little bit. Don't expect miracles.

• Advertisement

Daddio wrote: »
    That's a fine lens, but beyond my budget I think. But...

/takes out binoculars and spies on adverts.ie

Would the 50mm 1.8 do a good enough job on its own or would I be kicking myself for not having a zoomer? I've got a 17-85 but it's f4-5.6.

I've often just brought my 50 1.4 when travelling - Or thrown in a wide angle aswell. Did me grand tbh.

Also, aren't you supposed to be in Visual Culture lectures at the moment?

Covey wrote:
    What do you intend to shoot?
    I suppose that's the problem in a way, it'll be a mix of landscape, portaiture, street - so a bit of everything really.
    Fajitas! wrote:
    That was the 1.4 you were playing with in the studio last week, tbh, I wouldn't bother with the 28-105 if you could afford the 18-55!
    The 1.4 is great, am strongly considering treating myself to one. Is the 28-105 not so good in terms of image quality? Tbh I was surprised at the price on Kea's lovely new site, it's quite cheap.

I've often just brought my 50 1.4 when travelling - Or thrown in a wide angle aswell. Did me grand tbh.

/coughs
    I'm eh... sick. etc.

seriously though I am a little bit ill :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I would also recommend very good prime to cheaper zoom.
    24-70/2.8L would be my choice for Canon and my trusty 28-70/4 on Pentax body.

After doing my research I think I'll treat myself to the canon 50mm 1.4. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

24-105L IS
    Easily my most used lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Daddio wrote: »
    After doing my research I think I'll treat myself to the canon 50mm 1.4. :)

Excellent choice. On the 40D it makes a great portrait lens. I use mine mainly for shots of my kid. It's the only lense I have that's fast enough to catch her running around. It's also good as a walk around lense, that is if you don't mind zooming with your feet.

Though, as a word of caution. If this will be your only lense, you may find it's not wide enough. The 18-55 2.8 IS as Fajitas mentioned earlier would be ideal if you could afford it.

Anyway, Good luck on your trip!

Dave OS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Is the lens Fajitas mentioned not actually an EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS?
    The kit lens that came with the 450D is the 18-55 3.5-5.6?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

18-200mm VR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Yeah my bad. As my wife would say... same, same but different... :)

Dave OS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

There is NO escape from you Al!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

CabanSail wrote: »
    18-200 VR (if on a Nikon DX Body)

Having just purchased one, I would definietly consider getting a Canon G9 or G10 for the trip. It just does SO much in a small package. Really good for travelling light.

I picked up my G9 with an extra 2 spare batteries & 2 4GB SDHC Cards for about €400 delivered.

i'm going away travelling for a month in January to Asia , seriously considering leaving my Nikon SLR at home - just bring my Panasonic lx3 (similar to G9) which i love - i wonder will i miss my Nikon when away ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Canon 70-200mm IS f/2.8
    One of the most versatile lenses in the world!
    I absolutely love it!

Afaik you can get both, the 17-55 2.8 is the best part of €800. Looks fantastic though! Wanted to treat myself to something for christmas and unfortunately €800 is above and beyond my budget at the moment. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

With a 50mm prime you will of course be able to zoom with your feet but remember your 40D has a great 10mpx sensor hence for standard size prints you can afford to crop out up to half of it to reproduce something like A3 in print size. So it is possible to zoom in post processing albeit a poor relation to zooming with your feet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

18-200 VR has worked out well for me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

City-Exile wrote: »
    Canon 70-200mm IS f/2.8
    Might work for taking pics of tall buildings if you were... oh.. 1/4 - 1/2 a mile down the road or something? :D

If you can stretch to say, 500€ (i think) or so, get the 50mm f/1.4 and something like the sigma 10-20mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Serious?

he's dead serious, tried to convince me to get it instead of the 24-70L back when.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

85mm f1.2L, heavy but can cope with most everything. On a 5d of course!!

Advertisement