Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben: Story of a heroin addict

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Despite his family's best efforts, Ben couldn't stop.
    He said it himself,he was drinking at 8,smoking hash and doing mushrooms at 12 and on heroin by 18.

Does not compute. They facilitated him drinking alcohol as a small child and taking heroin as a young adult and people are feeling sorry for these parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

rarnes1 wrote: »
    yeah legalize heroin, thats the solution:rolleyes:

quite possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read.

not really.

plenty of reasons. for ex where's the money goin at the mo? what if it was state controlled, like cigs/alcol?

what are your reasons for thinkin it's ridiculous. at least give them to back up your post.

i've only one, that its impossible for ireland on its own as member of eu, with open borders etc. its controversial, but no ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Heroin is just like alcohol or any other narcotic some people can use it in moderation. They still hold jobs, pay their bills, have successful relationships.

Completely disagree with this, Someone I know very well was an addict, not anymore thank god, but you say it's possible to use Heroin the same way we use alcohol? Nah. The person I know tried it as a one off, and it gradually grew into a full on addiction, smoking, not injecting but it's all the one.

This person always considered themselves better than a "Junky". But in 3 years they got into major debts, over 25k and lost their job, and you're saying we should legalise this disgusting substance?

You've obviously never seen what this horrible drug can do to people and thier families first hand, it really isn't nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ryukobain

Hey lads and/or ladies.
    I don't have Sky.
    I've trawled the internet looking for a torrent for this programme.
    Anyone got one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Does not compute. They facilitated him drinking alcohol as a small child and taking heroin as a young adult and people are feeling sorry for these parents?

Eh?
    What do you mean by facilitated can I ask?
    If by facilitated you mean allowed him,think of it like this.
    I started smoking at 12 and was drinking at 13(as alot of people of my age group did,Im 29 BTW).
    Certainly not heavily but I was still doing it.
    I was always told by my parents that cigarettes were bad for you and that I shouldnt drink,as most children are.
    Doesnt mean they could stop me doing it.
    If people want to do things then 99 times out of 100 they will find a way so slating the parents as you seem to be doing is unfair.
    You make it sound like they went out and bought him drink and drugs as a nipper.
    Not the case at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

ryukobain wrote: »
    Hey lads and/or ladies.
    I don't have Sky.
    I've trawled the internet looking for a torrent for this programme.
    Anyone got one?
    You won't get torrent or download links here, ryukobain. Its against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Completely disagree with this, Someone I know very well was an addict, not anymore thank god, but you say it's possible to use Heroin the same way we use alcohol? Nah. The person I know tried it as a one off, and it gradually grew into a full on addiction, smoking, not injecting but it's all the one.

This person always considered themselves better than a "Junky". But in 3 years they got into major debts, over 25k and lost their job, and you're saying we should legalise this disgusting substance?

You've obviously never seen what this horrible drug can do to people and thier families first hand, it really isn't nice.

But that's one person that you know,i have reasons to agree and disagree with heroin being legalized,i have always said i'd never try it and i never will as i can't be sure that i could stop myself from getting addicted.
    I have more than one friend that i know has taken it,1 tried it once just to know what it was like,really liked it and was smart enough to say 'one off' and stick to it.Another friend tried it afew times over a period of maybe 5 years and will still try it VERY rarely on occasions.....ANOTHER one has been doing it for more than 12 years,he's had problems here and there but always manages to get it together,get a job,KEEP a job AND a flat and when it gets out of hand,goes to rehab but when he comes out he can only stay away for a while,he claims that without it he can't feel normal and that's one of the main reasons for not giving up.
    My point is only that people react differently to every drug,even a joint can make someone feel messed up when,to most people,it's smoked to relax them.Alcohol can make you tired,funny,hyper or extremely aggressive....a drug is a drug and should be used in moderation if atall.....crystal meth is in my opinion,one of the worst closely followed by heroin,tobacco and alcohol,all of the most addictive drugs you can get and half of them are legal already.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

emsy g wrote: »
    But that's one person that you know,i have reasons to agree and disagree with heroin being legalized,i have always said i'd never try it and i never will as i can't be sure that i could stop myself from getting addicted.
    I have more than one friend that i know has taken it,1 tried it once just to know what it was like,really liked it and was smart enough to say 'one off' and stick to it.Another friend tried it afew times over a period of maybe 5 years and will still try it VERY rarely on occasions.....ANOTHER one has been doing it for more than 12 years,he's had problems here and there but always manages to get it together,get a job,KEEP a job AND a flat and when it gets out of hand,goes to rehab but when he comes out he can only stay away for a while,he claims that without it he can't feel normal and that's one of the main reasons for not giving up.
    My point is only that people react differently to every drug,even a joint can make someone feel messed up when,to most people,it's smoked to relax them.Alcohol can make you tired,funny,hyper or extremely aggressive....a drug is a drug and should be used in moderation if atall.....crystal meth is in my opinion,one of the worst closely followed by heroin,tobacco and alcohol,all of the most addictive drugs you can get and half of them are legal already.......
    So two of your friends take Heroin...and you think leagalising it will help sort out some of the drug problems? I'll just leave it...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    So two of your friends take Heroin...and you think leagalising it will help sort out some of the drug problems? I'll just leave it...

I never said legalize it....in the very first line i said that i have reasons for and against......I was trying to point out that everyone is affected by it in different ways,it's not as plain and simple as 'you take it,you die'
    Read what people write with a little bit of an open mind:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,293 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

emsy g wrote: »

You should choose your friends wisely.

Friends that dabble in heroin are to be avoided imo.

Trying heroin once or twice or occasionally is playing with fire

• Advertisement
Advertisement