Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben: Story of a heroin addict

Options
  • 09-12-2008 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I was wondering did anyone else get a chance to see this powerful and moving documentary that was screened on Monday the 8th of December on Sky One. If anyone gets the opportunity to see it, do watch it as it gives a great insight to heroin addiction looking in from the outsider.

The documentary is based on the user Ben Rogers a heroin addict based in a small rural town in england who in his final years films himself with his hand held camcorder showing the slow and deterioration of his spirit and his body when his addiction begins to take hold. Ben ingests the drug into his body up to four times a day and manipulates and lies to his relatives to maintain his habit.

During his last months, Ben kept a video diary of his drug use and desperate attempts to come off heroin. Ravaged by the drug, Ben's body began to break down: he developed DVT and his veins were rendered so useless he had to inject into his groin. Despite his family's best efforts, Ben couldn't stop. He was haunted by, and hooked on, heroin.

Not only do we get an insight to that of a heroin addict but the unconditional love of a parent for their children. I would advise people to look out for this as it is very moving.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Damn I wanted to catch this. Anyone know when it will be repeated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I was wondering did anyone else get a chance to see this powerful and moving documentary that was screened on Monday the 8th of December on Sky One. If anyone gets the opportunity to see it, do watch it as it gives a great insight to heroin addiction looking in from the outsider.

The documentary is based on the user Ben Rogers a heroin addict based in a small rural town in england who in his final years films himself with his hand held camcorder showing the slow and deterioration of his spirit and his body when his addiction begins to take hold. Ben ingests the drug into his body up to four times a day and manipulates and lies to his relatives to maintain his habit.

During his last months, Ben kept a video diary of his drug use and desperate attempts to come off heroin. Ravaged by the drug, Ben's body began to break down: he developed DVT and his veins were rendered so useless he had to inject into his groin. Despite his family's best efforts, Ben couldn't stop. He was haunted by, and hooked on, heroin.

Not only do we get an insight to that of a heroin addict but the unconditional love of a parent for their children. I would advise people to look out for this as it is very moving.

I watched it and I'm sorry but this is bull, his families best efforts???? His father brought him to the dealers to BUY him drugs... That's not helping your son, it's helping his habit.

The only part I thought was moving about the whole documentary was at the very end. The poor soul died from trying to give up drugs. Ironic, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That's not helping your son, it's helping his habit.

Ever seen someone in the situation? It's like ignoring a crying child, only worse. Never mind thinkin about what he could do if he didn't help him get it.

amacachi wrote: »
    Ever seen someone in the situation? It's like ignoring a crying child, only worse. Never mind thinkin about what he could do if he didn't help him get it.

I have seen someone in this situation... two actually. One of my uncles is a heroin addict for the past 10/12 years. Despite numerous attempts to help him beat his habit (he's been to 7 different rehab centre's, he's in and out of hospital because of infections from injecting etc.), he is still an addict. I believe that my uncle will die from a heroin overdose, because he refuses all the help that we are trying to give him. I would not dream of bringing my uncle out to buy him his drugs and to help him on his way to killing himself.

A crying child eventually stops crying if it doesn't get it's own way, doesn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Its a truly horriffic situation to be living in. And I mean everyone in it, not just Ben.

have seen someone in this situation... two actually. One of my uncles is a heroin addict for the past 10/12 years. Despite numerous attempts to help him beat his habit (he's been to 7 different rehab centre's, he's in and out of hospital because of infections from injecting etc.), he is still an addict. I believe that my uncle will die from a heroin overdose, because he refuses all the help that we are trying to give him. I would not dream of bringing my uncle out to buy him his drugs and to help him on his way to killing himself.

A different way of dealing with the person and the habit is not a more right or wrong way to deal with the problem. Each family must decide if and how they will carry the burden of an addict. Its no different from an alcoholic - its still an addiction to a substance. The consequences of the addiction for this family were maybe cushioned by the fact that they live in the countrry and had not to worry about gangs and violence other than what their son inflicted on them. And he didnt seem fit (not capable is another matter) to be able to fend for himself.

Love is loving the addict...not the addiction. I would have to say I would bring my Uncle out if I had to. But Im not in that situation so what I would and wouldnt do hardly counts.

I just thought it was very very sad. To hear him howling at the end finished me completly and I was crying for him in the end.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I watched this last night. Thought it was very powerful and so ironic that when Ben decided to finally get help (after hearing of his fathers terminal illness) that he died from a brain hemoraghe from detoxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Royal Seahawk's comments (and subsequent replies by other posters) removed.

Royal Seahawk - if you can't post anything constructive, then don't post at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

So if you're not bowled over with sadness watching a drug abuser die a self inflicted death then you have no business posting here? I realise there has to be some structure on Boards but deleting the posts of those who don't agree with this nonsense kind of contradicts the idea of a public forum, do you not think?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,291 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The only other post from me on this subject is thats it repeated at 9pm on Sky Two tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

So if you're not bowled over with sadness watching a drug abuser die a self inflicted death then you have no business posting here? I realise there has to be some structure on Boards but deleting the posts of those who don't agree with this nonsense kind of contradicts the idea of a public forum, do you not think?
    No, but you could not be a dick about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You could have said that. It would have been constructive. Instead, you said "I thought it was hilarious". There is a difference between "Not agreeing" and being a tool. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Didn't catch this one but I remember a few years ago BBC had a docu about four alcoholics in some depressing place in England. The docu was based in the treatment centre of the local hospital and showed them all coming in and out (regularly) for treatment.

It was a really great insight to all their lives and their struggles. Sadly, two of them died during the filming. One was a recovering alcoholic and the other one was a single mother in her twenties.

Really want to see this one. Only just logged on so I've missed the repeat (****ing Wayne Rooney :mad:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

sounds fairly ****ing depressing.. dunno why anyone would want to watch this

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

saw the repeat last night horrendous to see someone going past the point of no return worse than any horror movie i know he did it to himself and caused carnage to his family but RIP anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I watched it, well most of it.

Honestly it really was quite difficult to watch. You have to wonder what prompts people to pick up the needle on day one. I don't think there's such a thing as a happy drug addict. Yes there are highs, but don't they say youre always chasing that "first high"? He was in pain, his family were in pain. The only winners were the dealers.

Very sad for any parents to have to watch their son die slowly before their very eyes....

themadchef wrote: »
    I watched it, well most of it.

Honestly it really was quite difficult to watch. You have to wonder what prompts people to pick up the needle on day one. I don't think there's such a thing as a happy drug addict. Yes there are highs, but don't they say youre always chasing that "first high"? He was in pain, his family were in pain. The only winners were the dealers.

Very sad for any parents to have to watch their son die slowly before their very eyes....

That's WHY they pick up the needle on day one, it's the first high.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I only caught the end of this, but you could see his pain, deep down he didn't want to go through this, both for himself and his parents. It was tough watching.

I just hope for myself and my unborn child that I never have to go through that...

RIP Ben.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

I was both shocked & saddened watching this lastnite, what a horrible life to lead. his poor dad still working at 71 because of his selfish sons drug habit & they say its harder to quit cigs then the gear i find that hard to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Watched this last night.Very sad.It should be shown to every single school kid from the age of 12 up IMO.
    He said it himself,he was drinking at 8,smoking hash and doing mushrooms at 12 and on heroin by 18.
    Kinda takes away from the glamour that seems to surround drug use in modern society dont you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Currently in Sky Anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Watched this last night.Very sad.It should be shown to every single school kid from the age of 12 up IMO.
    He said it himself,he was drinking at 8,smoking hash and doing mushrooms at 12 and on heroin by 18.
    Kinda takes away from the glamour that seems to surround drug use in modern society dont you think.
    Totally agree should be shown in all schools,not a kid in the world walk away from viewing that and think,god id love to try that

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

I'm just finished watching it.It's really sad that anyone is capable of falling into that trap.I suppose you believe that you are strong enough not to get addicted(some people don't get addicted)but you've had afew drinks/pills/at a party or whatever and decide that you have to have a go and see for yourself what it's like,for those who are able will have the experience and go on with his/her life and the others(like this poor guy) get the urge to try it again because he liked it.
    It's a pysical addiction,your body craves it and people just get sucked in,you don't have to be a bad person to get into it,as the program shows,he seems to come from a great backround,supportive and loving family etc...sometimes that's not enough though.
    It's not fair to judge this situation really though unless you've overcome it yourself,quiting is like going to hell and back and i feel sorry for the entire family including ben,a wasted life
    RIP

emsy g wrote: »
    I'm just finished watching it.It's really sad that anyone is capable of falling into that trap.I suppose you believe that you are strong enough not to get addicted(some people don't get addicted)but you've had afew drinks/pills/at a party or whatever and decide that you have to have a go and see for yourself what it's like,for those who are able will have the experience and go on with his/her life and the others(like this poor guy) get the urge to try it again because he liked it.
    It's a pysical addiction,your body craves it and people just get sucked in,you don't have to be a bad person to get into it,as the program shows,he seems to come from a great backround,supportive and loving family etc...sometimes that's not enough though.
    It's not fair to judge this situation really though unless you've overcome it yourself,quiting is like going to hell and back and i feel sorry for the entire family including ben,a wasted life
    RIP

quality post.

Yeah, its a physical as well as a mental addiction so the addict NEEDS it to survive. Sure he jumped out of a top window and broke his foot in deperation to score, says it all really.

As bad as Heroin is, Cocaine has caused more deaths in Ireland in the last 3 years than smack but thats for another thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The last "documentary" i saw on that subject was a complete fake.It was so badly put together that it was laugh-out loud stupid.
    Think Trainspotting without the trendy soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

No, but you could not be a dick about it.

Oh how constructive :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Watched this last night, and I honestly think I haven't sat in silence for anything as the credits rolled since watching Requiem for a dream. What a depressing "documentary" this was. Especially towards the end when the father was diagnosed with cancer as well. The guy was a scumbag for the torment he put his family through (those scenes where he's wasted in front of his mother and can't even talk coherently), but at the same time I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. He got himself into an awful mess and he knew it as well.

What horrible irony that the withdrawal killed him instead of the substance. This should be shown in every single primary school as part of drug education...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

What I hate about these types of sensational programs is it never mentions the functioning heroin addict. Acting like everyone who uses heroin or other opioids is an addict.

Heroin is just like alcohol or any other narcotic some people can use it in moderation. They still hold jobs, pay their bills, have successful relationships.

We put people in jail for getting high, how ****ing stupid. I love how people who use oxycotin or tylex think they aren't using heroin, you basically are. Heroin was, for a long time, sold just like morphine.

The only difference is oxycotin, morphine, tylex and even paracetamol are "their" drugs, the powers that be want you to use "their" drugs. They don't like being cut out. Personally, I'd rather buy from a pharmacy than a dealer at least then I know I am getting quality product so I am okay with this... but what I am not cool with is jailing drug users.

However, people get just as out of control on the above mentioned legal drugs as they do on heroin... it's just that heroin is a sexier sensationalist news story.

When people die because they can't use whatever vice within moderation, it's darwinism in action.

I say forget the nanny state, legalize heroin and we won't have drug dealers who prey on addicted users. Just like we can all tell Ben here was way out of order so can a pharmacist. The difference is the paharacist won't sell to him like a drug dealer would. Also, the fact is if a user wants to kill himself by taking more than he can handle he'll find a way to do it irregadless of any law so I would rather legalize it so it can be taxed and that money can be used to help other addicts versus that methone fee coming out of my pocket.

I wonder how many deaths have been caused by cigarettes compared to heroin.

Happy to be a libertarian I guess!

What I hate about these types of sensational programs is it never mentions the functioning heroin addict. Acting like everyone who uses heroin or other opioids is an addict.

Heroin is just like alcohol or any other narcotic some people can use it in moderation. They still hold jobs, pay their bills, have successful relationships.

We put people in jail for getting high, how ****ing stupid. I love how people who use oxycotin or tylex think they aren't using heroin, you basically are. Heroin was, for a long time, sold just like morphine.

The only difference is oxycotin, morphine, tylex and even paracetamol are "their" drugs, the powers that be want you to use "their" drugs. They don't like being cut out. Personally, I'd rather buy from a pharmacy than a dealer at least then I know I am getting quality product so I am okay with this... but what I am not cool with is jailing drug users.

However, people get just as out of control on the above mentioned legal drugs as they do on heroin... it's just that heroin is a sexier sensationalist news story.

When people die because they can't use whatever vice within moderation, it's darwinism in action.

I say forget the nanny state, legalize heroin and we won't have drug dealers who prey on addicted users. Just like we can all tell Ben here was way out of order so can a pharmacist. The difference is the paharacist won't sell to him like a drug dealer would. Also, the fact is if a user wants to kill himself by taking more than he can handle he'll find a way to do it irregadless of any law so I would rather legalize it so it can be taxed and that money can be used to help other addicts versus that methone fee coming out of my pocket.

I wonder how many deaths have been caused by cigarettes compared to heroin.

Happy to be a libertarian I guess!

yeah legalize heroin, thats the solution:rolleyes:

quite possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

rarnes1 wrote: »
    yeah legalize heroin, thats the solution:rolleyes:

quite possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read.

Quite possibly?! Undoubtably you mean....:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Bluefox21 wrote: »
    Quite possibly?! Undoubtably you mean....:o

There are many arguements for legalising heroin and i for one would like to see a debate on it. I'm not saying i agree with the arguements as put forward by the above poster - or maybe more to the point how they were put forward.

I wonder if people actually sat down, thought about it and researched it would they have the same 'no way are you mad' reaction to such a proposition. Is the current system working? Should we not at least debate looking at alternatives (on a policy level, not here)? I think most people think it would be some sort of free for all where any joe soap could walk in the door and say i'll have some of that. Why would it work any different than any other prescription, where a doctor diagnoses need, suitability, dose, duration etc.

Advertisement