Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Soundtrack To Your Angst

12467300

Comments



  • Not all the guys are pervy! Well not entirely pervy. :P

    Hehe, I love Fibbers guys really. Nothing like being offered to be bought a drink after the guy has taken the liberty of grabbing my ass!:pac:

    Aw, this talk of Fibbers has made me want to go there!




  • Acacia wrote: »
    Hehe, I love Fibbers guys really. Nothing like being offered to be bought a drink after the guy has taken the liberty of grabbing my ass!:pac:

    lol, classy.:pac:




  • Acacia wrote: »
    Hehe, I love Fibbers guys really. Nothing like being offered to be bought a drink after the guy has taken the liberty of grabbing my ass!:pac:

    Aw, this talk of Fibbers has made me want to go there!

    It's a cultural milestone.

    I might be there tonight. But probably just going to head to Dorans or somewhere warm. :pac:




  • Soundtrack to my angst?

    When I'm píssed off I tend to listen to 'I Think I'm Paranoid' by Garbage.....also handy if you ever feel like drying your hair by headbanging :o




  • Bijoux wrote: »
    Soundtrack to my angst?

    When I'm píssed off I tend to listen to 'I Think I'm Paranoid' by Garbage.....also handy if you ever feel like drying your hair by headbanging :o


    Pissed off? Jagged Little Pill......nuff said.


  • Advertisement


  • Last Chance to lose your keys by Brand New

    and not very angsty but
    I hate your fucking guts by The Queers.




  • Creep's not at all a bad song. It's in fact one of their best songs. It's very 'obvious' but that's hardly their fault. Radiohead have a mixed relationship with it (see 'My Iron Lung') but then, that's all part of the same process - you create an iconic song, and people will define you by it. People are still happily trotting out the whole 'Radiohead are depressing' line on the basis of Creep and a handful of other songs from their early catalogue.

    Smells Like Teen Spirit is even more ubiquitous and overplayed. I still love it. It's also the sound of selling out, commercialism and betraying your roots, but fúck it, it's a great song. ^^
    Oh, me not liking Creep has nothing to do with its popularity, or the fact that its overplayed, or that people define a band that offer SO much more by it, it's simply the fact that I really don't think it's a good song.

    I'd also say it's more of a depressed student anthem than an angsty teenage song.

    As for SLTS, I don't think it really sounds like selling out or anything, just a good song.
    An Fhile wrote: »
    i) A good suggestion, but I don't like the way you just dismissed my opinion outright.

    ii) Opinion > fact. It's certainly one of their most over-played songs, but I wouldn't consider it too far below the standards of "Karma Police", "Street Spirit", etc.

    iii) I am aware of how to spell "epitome", but thanks for going to the effort to point out my error. I was under the impression that everyone is entitled to a mistake now and then...
    While I appreciate that some people are ever so sensitive about criticisms of music and tend to find any negative opinion without an explicit "This is just my opinion" clause offensive, I'm afraid I don't heed that. Yes, everything about music is opinion, I don't understand why people just don't take that to be an implicit aspect of any musical conversation.

    btw, Karma Police and Street Spirit are all right, but nowhere near Radiohead's best songs.




  • JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Oh, me not liking Creep has nothing to do with its popularity, or the fact that its overplayed, or that people define a band that offer SO much more by it, it's simply the fact that I really don't think it's a good song.

    I'd also say it's more of a depressed student anthem than an angsty teenage song.

    As for SLTS, I don't think it really sounds like selling out or anything, just a good song.


    Oh I'll not disagree with opinion then. ^^ Nah I like it, can see why some don't.

    SLTS is one of my favourite songs, but it is kind of a sell out song. But then, I don't mind that. It brought Nirvana to a lot more people than anyone else from the genre.




  • Nirvana were always one of the more accessible bands from that whole scene in the first place though. I don't think the band actually anticipated Nevermind selling so much, I mean they fecked off to Europe to support Sonic Youth on their tour* right after it was released. Hardly something a band who wrote songs deliberately intended to be accessible and expecting to sell a lot of albums would do.

    *On a side note, have you seen 1991: The Year Punk Broke, the SY video diary of that tour? If not you should try and get your hands on it, really great stuff, and there's footage of SY and Nirvana playing in Dublin and Cork too.




  • To go against the whole "angst" theme, here are some of my happy songs! :D






    I'll add more when they come to mind.


  • Advertisement


  • Piste wrote: »
    Anything by Placebo.












    I used to listen to a lot on Placebo

    Stop stealing my identity! :eek:






  • Listened to this a lot when I was about 14.




  • Stop stealing my identity! :eek:

    So the Doppelganger isn't just a myth then :eek:




  • I listen to this and read the lyrics when I'm angry and it makes me happy :) Can't find the second part of it on youtube, which is beautiful, but this is the part that makes me happy.



    Lyrics: http://songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858719492/




  • Piste wrote: »
    So the Doppelganger isn't just a myth then :eek:

    Hang on, you've curly hair too don't you....




  • I'm not a Loser by The Descendants




  • Was just thinking, Puddle of Mudd were another of those bands that really seemed to suit my mood as a teenager. Obviously "She Hates Me" grabbed a lot of attention, but some of their other songs were fairly good too.

    Before you say it, JC, I'm aware they're not technically one of the best bands in the world ;)




  • An Fhile wrote: »

    Before you say it, JC, I'm aware they're not technically one of the best bands in the world ;)

    He'll be right when he says it too, they were atrocious!




  • Hang on, you've curly hair too don't you....

    Yes I do indeed! Maybe you're my long-lost evil twin?




  • Pfft you're so the evil one!


  • Advertisement


  • Living DEAD girl? Listens to heavy metal music? And I'M the evil one? :pac:




  • Piste wrote: »
    Living DEAD girl? Listens to heavy metal music? And I'M the evil one? :pac:

    Nothing wrong with heavy metal. :pac:




  • All females are evil.:p




  • Nothing wrong with heavy metal. :pac:

    Isn't it like, the evil genre?




  • Piste wrote: »
    Isn't it like, the evil genre?

    Sure it's all a load of fun. ^^

    Black metal, now that's evil. :pac:





  • Black metal, now that's evil. :pac:

    To be fair Black Metal is pretty harmless now, RAP on the other hand.

    On an unrelated not, this is pretty badass.





  • Piste wrote: »
    Isn't it like, the evil genre?

    Nah, the corpse paint and devil-worshipping is just a clever ruse to keep the 'normals' away! :D;)

    But really, most of the people that I know who listen to metal are the least evil people ever- most are huggable and cute (though they don't look it!):pac:




  • Tell that to Abbath from Immortal or Gaahl from Gorgoroth!:D




  • All females are evil.:p

    dont make me whip you into niceness:)


  • Advertisement


  • An Fhile wrote: »
    Was just thinking, Puddle of Mudd were another of those bands that really seemed to suit my mood as a teenager. Obviously "She Hates Me" grabbed a lot of attention, but some of their other songs were fairly good too.

    Before you say it, JC, I'm aware they're not technically one of the best bands in the world ;)
    Technicality has nothing do to with the music I like.

    I wouldn't have commented on Puddle of Mudd had you not provoked me to, but now that you have, I'll say that they're derivative, corporate, formulaic shíte, and that while music being good or bad is all about opinion, you have to wonder how popular such bands might be were they not marketed so heavily by the machine that is the music industry, and were more different kinds of music more accessible to the masses.

    And I mean, come on, there's a reason bands get featured on http://www.youhavebadtasteinmusic.com :p


Advertisement