Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOME1 PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY GREEDY CAT

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Jules wrote: »
    You have been told milk is bad for her yet you are still going to give it to her. Lactose free or not, milk is not good for cats full stop. Unless it is specifically cat milk.

Only ture for lactose intolerant cats. Not all cats are lactose intolerant, cats only become lactose intolerant when they stop taking milk. They aren’t born lactose intolerant.

Another point I'd like to make is, wet and dry food is the best combination. There's alot of reason why you shouldn't just feed a cat dry food.

In this cats case, it would not be recommended. As you've said your cat doesn't take much water. If you were to switch your cat from wet to dry food you would have to increase the cats intake of water.

Pound for pound dry food has more protien in it which is one of the reasons why many people think dry food is better. If you where to take the moisture out of wet food, then pound for pound wet food has more protien in it.

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html
    http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodandnutrition/f/cannedvsdry.htm
    http://www.homevet.com/petcare/feedingyourcat.html
    http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch4.php
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071203164728.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lucky111

Jules, if you actually take time and look at my replys you'll see that i am taking on peoples advice:P
    Of course i don't go walk about with my cat when she's out and about !!
    What person does??
    I'm quite sure she gets plenty of exercise
    I've taken on board what advice people are giving me and i'm taking it on board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lucky111

I see if she'll start eating wet and dry food together,
    Fingers crossed she'll enjoy it other wise i'll be the 1 getting evils from her all day lol
    Thanks gigabyte;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

GigaByte wrote: »
    Only ture for lactose intolerant cats. Not all cats are lactose intolerant, cats only become lactose intolerant when they stop taking milk. They aren’t born lactose intolerant.

Like humans, many cats are not lactose tolerant. Cow's milk is quite high in lactose in comparison to cat (or human) milk so the inability to effectively process the lactose in cow's milk can cause digestive problems for both species.
    As for your statement that cats only become intolerant of lactose when they stop taking milk, I presume you mean when they are weaned from (cat's) milk as kittens as opposed to cow's milk. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We have 2 kittens that we only feed dry food now (a bit of the wet stuff when they where tiny). The reason is that if they get used to wet food they'll turn their noses up at dry stuff and it's a drag getting them to eat that.
    Dry stuff can be left out all day while wet food should be put out and taken away (much like your own meals).

Like humans, many cats are not lactose tolerant. Cow's milk is quite high in lactose in comparison to cat (or human) milk so the inability to effectively process the lactose in cow's milk can cause digestive problems for both species.
    As for your statement that cats only become intolerant of lactose when they stop taking milk, I presume you mean when they are weaned from (cat's) milk as kittens as opposed to cow's milk. :confused:

You're correct I should have said weaned. There's lots of articles floating around the net on this. :)

biko wrote: »
    We have 2 kittens that we only feed dry food now (a bit of the wet stuff when they where tiny). The reason is that if they get used to wet food they'll turn their noses up at dry stuff and it's a drag getting them to eat that.
    Dry stuff can be left out all day while wet food should be put out and taken away (much like your own meals).

Thats the convenience of dry food for you. What you could do is leave out a small bit of wet food in a bowl, don't put more in it than they would eat in one sitting and leave dry food there all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

just one point;
    If your cat is out & about you dont know what she is eating when she's not at home - many years ago my tortie used to go two doors down where the two elderly ladies who lived there feed her cooked sausages every morning, and then in next door at lunch time where she was given whatever was on the go - it varied according to what meals on wheels delivered.... she was at this for a number of years, while still eating her meals at home before I found out :rolleyes:

my next door neighbour's cat comes in to me at least once daily for a meal... which btw my neighbour knows but only becaue I told her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

some cats do need to be fed a little and often as otherwise they will at all of what you leave down for them and get hungry later.

our family cat is big old fatty catty! (he is mine and my sisters, and when I moved out my sister got custody! :(

Oscar is naturally a big build cat, so he was always going to be heavy, but he developed a big spare tyre about a month after we got him (he was a full grown male when we rescued him). He is not one of those cats who will pick at dry food til and walk off and leave the rest for later. if you fill the bowl, he will eat the whole bowlfull - he seems to have no switch off mechanism to tell him he is full. So if I put out his food out in the morning he will eat it all in one sitting, and then in the evening make me feel SO guilty with his big sad eyes because he was obviously hungry again.

I had to start measuring out his food in the morning and giving him small quantities through the day. He is now on a restricted diet. He gets 100 grams of dry food in a day (or 75 gr dry and 25 gr wet in the evening). He does try and pull on your heart strings - by the way he moans and gives those big sad eyes you would swear he hadn't been fed in days! but you just have to be strong - restricting the diet is for their own good.

Fat cats are prone to many health problems,urinary infections being one. If Oscar gets too much food very rich in protein or fats, he gets cystitis, in addition to becoming a porker. Restricting his diet is in his best interests, even if he does put on the poor mouth!

If your cat eats a lot of dry food then again you need to be careful about urinary infections as not enough fliuds increases this, and also if they eat too much calorific food that also increases their risk of infections. We don't give Oscar wiskas or anything like that - our vet said the best thing is chicken (cheap cuts will do or left overs) cooked in the microwave or steamed is best, mixed with rice. If you cook the rice and then add extra water and leave it an hour or two it soaks up the water so it is a good way to get water into the cat without them realising it. For a treat add some gravy or oxo so its not too bland. This is the only way we can knowingly get water into Oscar - he will not drink water from a bowl - he only ever seems to drink water out of the toilet! lol
    He would love milk every day, but he is lactose intolerant and it gives him the squits which is not nice (a lesson my dad learned shortly after i moved out! he started giving him milk everyday as a treat (he thinks I was too strict on him!), low and behold two days later Dad found a big runny smelly poo in his work boots as cat got diahorrea and the door to where his tray was had been left closed! funnily enough now Dad never offers to give oscar milk! serves him right for not listening to me and my sis! lol)

• Advertisement
Advertisement