Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOME1 PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY GREEDY CAT

Options
  • 08-12-2008 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey guys, need some help with my fat greedy cat:eek:
    I found my lil angel:rolleyes: when she was about 3 wks old [ dumped ]

Skin and bones,
    She is spoilt rotten by every1 and gets away with too much;)
    She's well fed, About 4 times a day, and no matter how much i give her she wants more and more...........She's a bit on the podgy side from all of this
    I'll catch her on the kitchen top eating our left overs, if the kids have dropped crisps, chocolate anything, she'll be there to hoover it up with her gob:D before i get a chance to grab it
    She's even gone so far as to munch through our frozen chicken that was out defrosting the night b4 for our Sunday dinner:mad:
    Shes wormed so don't think that's a problem
    Please some1 help me..................:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Put her on a diet.

Stop feeding her 4 times a day! Feed her once a day and that's it. If the cat wants more, tough. Close all presses, put defrosting food in microwave or cover it.

If she jumps up on the counter, pick her up and put her on the floor until she gets the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chocolate is poisonous to cats, and unless your cat loses her 'labrador' tendancies she could become very ill.

As IvySlayer says, put her on a diet. Give her two set mealtimes a day, one wet food, one dry food. Give her a constant supply of fresh water, no milk.

Cats who have starved in the past can have a very bad relationship with food, but really spoilt cats associate food with their dominance - it's a bad idea to feed a cat that begs for food, especially if you're feeding them human snack foods. Alpha cat eats first (and also climbs the curtains, sleeps on your pillow and craps wherever she likes in the house).

Finally be more careful where you leave things to defrost or cool down, and use a water mister to squirt her if she gets on the counters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lucky111

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Put her on a diet.

Stop feeding her 4 times a day! Feed her once a day and that's it. If the cat wants more, tough. Close all presses, put defrosting food in microwave or cover it.

If she jumps up on the counter, pick her up and put her on the floor until she gets the message.
    Once a day:confused:
    Do you actually own a cat?? When i say i feed her 4 times a day these are small potions, spread out over a number of hours
    Thanks for your advice:rolleyes:
    But no thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky111, you feed kittens four meals a day to ensure they get optimum nutrition throughout their day and to offset their high levels of activity. You don't feed adult cats that many times - especially not if they're scarfing everything else in sight.

You'll know if you're overfeeding your cat, especially if she's developed an enormous fat pad - that's the low-slung, dangling beer gut stomach.

I am not feeding my cat human food.........
    She does not beg for food .............
    She does not climb the curtains or crap wherever she likes [ litter box ]
    What kind of picture do you all have in your head of her lol
    :confused:

• Advertisement

Okay, what do you want me to say?

You're overfeeding your cat if she has access to enough food to get fat, and you're feeding her human food if she gets access to crisps and chocolate and tomorrow night's defrosting dinner.

The picture I have is the end result of the beginning you're painting. I live with a lot of cats at the moment, and one of them is a badly managed brat who has the run of the place, is spoilt rotten, is never admonished and has access to human food as well as an excess of cat food. She believes she is alpha cat, and as a result is aggressive to other cats and people, and will crap outside her litter box as a protest.

Put your cat on a diet, and stop reacting badly to the advice you're being given.

"Hey guys, need some help with my fat greedy cat"
    "Okay, put her on a diet"
    "What? No way! How unreasonable!"

If that's the way this thread is going to go, there's no point anyone contributing anything else if you don't want to hear it.

I hear what you are saying and i am going to limit her feed to twice daily
    Please in future, read my replys, and note what i have said and have not:rolleyes:

lucky111 wrote: »
    Once a day:confused:
    Do you actually own a cat?? When i say i feed her 4 times a day these are small potions, spread out over a number of hours
    Thanks for your advice:rolleyes:
    But no thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I own a cat who is not overweight. You did ask for advice. My cat is 12 years old, I feed her once a day in the evening. A whiskas pouch and some dog biscuits, which she loves for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

First off the bat i would say to worm your cat. Common things are common, if your cat is eating a lot of food and is always hungry and has a belly she may have worms.

It is normal, ivyslayer, that cats eat less as they get older, unless they have a metabolic issue. So once a day is ok. But i would seriously doubt one pouch is enough for any cat, unless you are giving her a lot of dry dog food, which btw, isn't very good for cat, seriously lacking in the right nutirents required. For a younger cat twice a day is plenty. You have to remember it the quailty of the food you are feeding which is important. Also making sure you are feeding correctly for their weight.

Btw lucky111.. you would do well with dropping your attitude, people are only trying to help.

The reply was directed to IvySlayer.
    You sound very old school form the other threads you have up.
    To the rest of you guys, i do hear what you are saying and will take your advice on:)
    But please note, that I AM NOT FEEDING HER HUMAN FOOD [ CHOC ]
    ;)

• Advertisement

Jules wrote: »
    First off the bat i would say to worm your cat. Common things are common, if your cat is eating a lot of food and is always hungry and has a belly she may have worms.

Btw .. you would do well with dropping your attitude, people are only trying to help.
    Jules i do not have an 'attitude'
    She is wormed though, and is, will be fed twice daily form now on
    I am greatful to all the advice;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

4 times a day is madness. Start with 2 set meal times as mentioned and diet food, it'll have all the nutrients that are needed also. Our cats are 1 1/2 and 2 years old, they have a small amount of dry food in the morning and another small amout in the evening and thats it. My wife and I look after cats of all shapes, sizes and ages so I would like to think we have learned a bit. Buy some of these to keep the cat off the counter.

I know you say small portions, but if she's putting on weight then they're not that small. Feed one wet and one dry meal a day. Most cats will scoff down the wet feed, but not the dry feed. Feed the dry in the morning, because she's more likely to make it last the day, and then feed the wet in the evening. Because she'll return to the dry food bowl repeatedly, she gets to balance her dry meals and may eat as many as 10-15 times during the day from the dry food bowl - a very natural eating situation for a cat.

The recommended feed amounts will be on the packets you buy - the better quality the food, the more metabolised calories per 100g they'll have, so the less you'll need to feed (beware of this - a 100g tin with 125 calories vs a 100g tin with 85 calories - same volume, different nutrition - she'll eat it all either way, but one lot is more likely to help pile on the pounds unless you adjust the serving size).

The average good sized adult cat weighs about 4kg (9lbs or thereabouts), and they need about 240 - 280 calories per day. Your cat should be closer to the 240 calorie mark if she's overweight and even less than that if she is not a large cat.

(The calorie requirements of a cat change during their life cycle, depending on their size and weight, age, health and, if they're female, whether or not they're reproducing.)

Cats ideally need a all of their protein from animal sources, whereas dried foods contain a lot of protein from plant sources, hence the need for a mix of canned and dried foods.

Look at it this way - the idea meal for a cat is a couple of mice. When you can't feed a cat a couple of mice, you need to reflect the composition of the mouse in a cat's diet. Feeding dry food is like feeding your kids mac-n-cheese with a vitamin tablet. The better quality the dry food, the better quality the vitamin supplement, but it's still mac-n-cheese. Tinned foods contain far higher doses of animal protein, but a cat that eats nothing but soft, loafy tinned food will get terrible dental problems.

A mix of top quality (the best you can afford) dry food (Hills Science Diet or Royal Canin) plus good quality wet food (the "gourmet" range of wet supermarket pet foods that are like recognisable meat and fish suspended in aspic jelly, as opposed to a loaf-style food) is the best modern solution to a cat's dietary requirements (seeing as you're not about to start putting whole chickens into a blender with a bunch of supplements and doling that out).

Good luck with her - cats are buggers when it comes to food. If you're a softie, you can mistake the "feed me" yowl for "I'm starving" and you'll cave in. :)

Hey RUU, i know i know
    4 times is bad. i know now:o
    Thanks for the help;)

I own a cat who is not overweight. You did ask for advice. My cat is 12 years old, I feed her once a day in the evening. A whiskas pouch and some dog biscuits, which she loves for some reason.

Just a point - dog biscuits are a bad idea. There's a difference between what your cat loves to eat and what is good for your cat.

Dried pet foods are made palatable to animals because they're sprayed with an oily substance to make them smell and taste good. This oily substance is often made using processed oils that have been discarded by, for example, fish and chip shops. Subsequently the smell and initial taste of a dog biscuit will be just as attractive to a cat as her own dried food, but the nutritional composition of a dog biscuit is not suitable for a cat.

Dogs are more opportunistic eaters - hence they used to survive happily on the remains of the family dinner, with its mix of carbs, fats and proteins. A cat requires a far higher proportion of protein than a dog. A typical adult cat weighing 9-10lbs needs 12-13g protein a day, plus around 5-6g of fat. Their systems are well designed to digest and metabolise that food, they aren't designed to digest and metabolise plant protein.

Just a point - dog biscuits are a bad idea. There's a difference between what your cat loves to eat and what is good for your cat.

Dried pet foods are made palatable to animals because they're sprayed with an oily substance to make them smell and taste good. This oily substance is often made using processed oils that have been discarded by, for example, fish and chip shops. Subsequently the smell and initial taste of a dog biscuit will be just as attractive to a cat as her own dried food, but the nutritional composition of a dog biscuit is not suitable for a cat.

Dogs are more opportunistic eaters - hence they used to survive happily on the remains of the family dinner, with its mix of carbs, fats and proteins. A cat requires a far higher proportion of protein than a dog. A typical adult cat weighing 9-10lbs needs 12-13g protein a day, plus around 5-6g of fat. Their systems are well designed to digest and metabolise that food, they aren't designed to digest and metabolise plant protein.

I did not know that. I told my vet about the dog biscuits, he said it was fine as long as I did not SOLELY feed her on dog biscuits. Which I don't. The one pouch, according to him, is also fine. She's never really been a big eater. I give her an egg once every month for her protein levels. She's a very fussy about food.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

To OP - one of my cats is greedy too and had started to put on weight, so I found a brand of dry cat food which is high quality but he is not overly fond of! (Royal Canin) :D He eats up but doesn't gobble the way he would have done with other brands. He gets two meals of that and a Whiskas Oh So Meaty every now and then as a treat. He has lost his belly now and is in great form.

To Ivy Slayer - I remember reading before that it is a bad idea to give dog food to cats because cats protein requirements are much higher. If you switch over from dog biscuits to dry cat food, I'd say your little kitty will be getting better nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

What food are you feeding her?

The Feline Horde have constant access to food - the bowl is never empty here. They eat Royal Canin Sterilised or RC Digestive and graze all day, eating a mouthful or two at a go with only one leaning towards being even slightly overweight (and that's more an issue because of being intentionally starved by her last "owner", not the feeding style here). She's actually lost weight in the last year because her attitude to eating has changed (she's no longer afraid that the food won't be there). Of course, playing with the other cats and various cat toys helps too. :)

I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned it but exercise is just as important as portion control. Does she like toys? A wand toy + a small child = one very happy cat in my experience.

And put the defrosting food out of cat reach. Of course she'll eat the defrosting chicken - it tastes nice. :rolleyes:

I did not know that. I told my vet about the dog biscuits, he said it was fine as long as I did not SOLELY feed her on dog biscuits. Which I don't. The one pouch, according to him, is also fine. She's never really been a big eater. I give her an egg once every month for her protein levels. She's a very fussy about food.

Cats need a number of things that aren't found in dog food that they can't synthesise themselves. Taurine being one of them.

As long as your cat is getting a high quality cat food along with the occasional bit of dog food then, no, it shouldn't do them any harm as long as a significant amount of their diet is made up by cat food or a more natural diet. The biggest problem I can see with your current cats diet is that whiskas pouches are not a high quality cat food.

My MIL's cat became a very picky eater at about 17 and wouldn't eat anything except cooked meat and whiskas pouches. We introduced her to the senior range of dry cat food from Arden Grange and she loves it. She's put on weight etc. It's worth checking out the senior foods for your 12 year old cat if she becomes fussy as they've been designed with softer kibble, more appetising smells etc and will probably be just as attractive to your cat as the dog food is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

Jules i do not have an 'attitude'
    She is wormed though, and is, will be fed twice daily form now on
    I am greatful to all the advice;)

When worming the cat make sure you get the worming tablets as well - the spot on drops, though convenient, only cover come types of worms.

Check with your vet to make sure the cat has full worm coverage.

We have four cats in the house and they all graze happily. There's always a bowl of dry food (mixed RC yound adult male & female - there both and a bit of each won't harm the other!) and plenty of fresh water.

Though the food is there all day they don't over eat and we do have defined 'top up times' morning and evening so the cats are associating the food with us. Normally when we top up they each nibble a little and then head off again - it's just a routine thing that says "we're home, here's food, or we're up, here's food"

One of the younger ones would just on the counter at food for divelment rather than hunger so we just stopped having food out on the counter. Trying to keep the cats off the counter is a pointless excersize as a) they do it all day when we're not there and b) we don't really mind.

xxKate

• Advertisement

kitten_bar wrote: »
    Trying to keep the cats off the counter is a pointless excersize as a) they do it all day when we're not there and b) we don't really mind.

The rule in this house is "No cats on the counters when we can see you". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I hear what you are saying and i am going to limit her feed to twice daily
    Please in future, read my replys, and note what i have said and have not:rolleyes:

You do not have to only feed her twice a day. Carry on feeding her 4 times a day just feed her smaller portions.

Feeding her once a day is the worst advice someone can give you!

GigaByte wrote: »
    You do not have to only feed her twice a day. Carry on feeding her 4 times a day just feed her smaller portions.

Feeding her once a day is the worst advice someone can give you!
    Hi Gigabyte, she was being fed 4 times daily but in small portions [ not 4 tins:eek: ]
    Was thinking that too........ once a day:eek:
    Cheers

I'm feeding her wet food [ whiskas, tins ] She goes through about a tin a day but will not drink water only milk but i do water it down.
    I will try her with dry food but have before in the past but she would not go near it:(
    I have started her eating plan today...............

Look, if she gets hungry, she WILL eat what's put out for her.

Plus the milk thing - you have to stop that. Many cats are lactose intolerant and milk is bad for them. Just put out fresh water - change it twice a day, and put it in a ceramic bowl instead of plastic (plastic retains smells of other food).

As hadook says, exercise is also important, even if it means just buying some new toys or tying pieces of string to a chairback where she can savage them as she passes.

Most important: SHE WILL NOT STARVE IF THERE IS FOOD THERE.

Don't spend two days watching her like a hawk and then feeding her half a chicken because you feel guilty because she's turned her nose up at what's in her dinner dish.

Look, if she gets hungry, she WILL eat what's put out for her.

Plus the milk thing - you have to stop that. Many cats are lactose intolerant and milk is bad for them. Just put out fresh water - change it twice a day, and put it in a ceramic bowl instead of plastic (plastic retains smells of other food).

As hadook says, exercise is also important, even if it means just buying some new toys or tying pieces of string to a chairback where she can savage them as she passes.

Most important: SHE WILL NOT STARVE IF THERE IS FOOD THERE.

Don't spend two days watching her like a hawk and then feeding her half a chicken because you feel guilty because she's turned her nose up at what's in her dinner dish.
    She does get plenty of exercise, she's out most of the day and in at night.
    She won't drink just water, i have tried for 2 days straight, no luck.
    I don't feel guilty whatsoever, she's fed and exercised well.
    I''l be keeping her on the wet food though and the milk [ water in there too ]
    Thanks guys for all of your advice,
    Cheers:)

Is your cat lactose intolerant? If not then she's one of the lucky ones, if your not sure and you're cats a milkaholic you can give her lactose free milk. :pac:

Good idea, i'll pick up a batch of it tomorrow:)
    Cheers

Best get the skimmed one for your cat. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

She does get plenty of exercise, she's out most of the day and in at night.
    She won't drink just water, i have tried for 2 days straight, no luck.
    I don't feel guilty whatsoever, she's fed and exercised well.
    I''l be keeping her on the wet food though and the milk [ water in there too ]
    Thanks guys for all of your advice,
    Cheers:)

OK you say she get plenty or excerise as she is out day and night, do you watch her? How do you know what she is doing?

You have been told milk is bad for her yet you are still going to give it to her. Lactose free or not, milk is not good for cats full stop. Unless it is specifically cat milk. Of course she isn't going to drink water if she knows there is better stuff out there. Also do you know cats are extremely fond of drinking rain/puddle water?

Also wet food is not the best food for them either a good veterinary recommended dry complete food is what she should be eating. If she is overweight she should be put on a weightloss food also, ask at your vet for advice.

People are trying to help you but yet you dont seem to be listening to the advice you are being given.

Advertisement