Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to claim back tax?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Send a copy of the P60. You won't get it back and apparently it's impossible to re-issue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Thanks for the advice.

One other question though, I did a little bit of extra short-term work last summer in which I was emergency taxed - I never got a P60 for that but I have a P45 - should I send that in too?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

sitstill wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

One other question though, I did a little bit of extra short-term work last summer in which I was emergency taxed - I never got a P60 for that but I have a P45 - should I send that in too?

Do, If you didn't get the emergency tax back through the job you started after it then chances are you were emergency taxed because you were not set up in employment with them with Revenue. Send in the p45 and Revenue will be able to sort it out and refund you the tax. :)

By the way, you only receive a P60 from an employer if you are employed with them on the 31st of December. As you ceased with the employer that you were working for during the summer you will only receive a P45 from them.

Thanks again for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dublinguy00

I was employed for 5 years and then i was made redundant last year in December, I earned 40,000 last year, Currently looking for job and getting seeking benefit from social welfare, As at the moment there are no jobs available, Struggling to secure one,I have 2 questions.

1. Am i entitled to get the tax money back payed last year?
    2. Job seeking alowence is applicable for around 12 Months, what will happen if the market & economy is the same and i will not be able to secure any job. Will this money stop and i will left without any money?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I was employed for 5 years and then i was made redundant last year in December, I earned 40,000 last year, Currently looking for job and getting seeking benefit from social welfare, As at the moment there are no jobs available, Struggling to secure one,I have 2 questions.

1. Am i entitled to get the tax money back payed last year?
    2. Job seeking alowence is applicable for around 12 Months, what will happen if the market & economy is the same and i will not be able to secure any job. Will this money stop and i will left without any money?

Thanks

Hi dublinguy00

In relation to your tax question, depending on when you ceased employment in December you may be entitled to some tax back but most likely not much. As the tax year runs for Jan to Dec and you finished up in December, you will have used up all of you tax credits and will not have overpaid in tax. If you finished at the beginning of December you could have three weeks of tax due back - its the easiest way to try and explain it. Best thing for you to do is contact Revenue and ask them to do a review for last year. This will take in account you total income and tax paid for 08 and will generate a balancing statement to see if you overpaid tax. Where it sees if you overpaid, it will also see if you underpaid. If your employer implementated your tax details correctly you should not have underpaid.

In relation to your job seekers question - im afraid i dont know too much about the social welfare side of things as i mainly deal with the tax side of things however taking a stab at it I believe when you refer to job seekers allowance been 12 months you are actually talking about job seekers benefit. After the 12 months is up then job seekers allowance kicks in. However as far as i know this is means tested where benefit isn't as it is based on your prsi details where allowance isn't.

Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Hi think i asked this before but cant find the topic

I was in the army up until the end of Feburary when I left to start an apprenticeship and now I am not earning enough to get taxed. Can I claim back some of the tax I paid last year? I am getting a bit of extra money in my wages atm but thats but I think that is because I was on emergency tax. Can I still claim from last year?

m.j.w wrote: »
    Hi think i asked this before but cant find the topic

I was in the army up until the end of Feburary when I left to start an apprenticeship and now I am not earning enough to get taxed. Can I claim back some of the tax I paid last year? I am getting a bit of extra money in my wages atm but thats but I think that is because I was on emergency tax. Can I still claim from last year?

As last year is a different year it is treated seperatly. Therefore your pay and tax from Jan - Dec of 2008 will only be taken into account for the 2008 tax year. You can check with Revenue and see if you overpaid tax last year and you may be entitled to a rebate that way. Also you may be entitled to claim tax credits for last year depending on your personal circumstances i.e were you renting, paying bin charges etc.
    As this is 2009, your income from 2008 will not be taken into account.
    Hope the above helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    As last year is a different year it is treated seperatly. Therefore your pay and tax from Jan - Dec of 2008 will only be taken into account for the 2008 tax year. You can check with Revenue and see if you overpaid tax last year and you may be entitled to a rebate that way. Also you may be entitled to claim tax credits for last year depending on your personal circumstances i.e were you renting, paying bin charges etc.
    As this is 2009, your income from 2008 will not be taken into account.
    Hope the above helps :)

thanks for the help, can i claim back the tax i paid in the first 2 months of this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 babybaby

hi just a quick question lost my job third week in jan am i entitled to claim tax back

• Advertisement

babybaby wrote: »
    hi just a quick question lost my job third week in jan am i entitled to claim tax back

If you paid tax in the first three weeks that your worked, then yes you would be entitled to it back. Just fill out a P50 form and submit it in with parts two and three of your P45. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 babybaby

thanks.. appreciate your help:D

Quick question about claiming tax back when unemployed:- when you send in the P50 with your P45, do you get all the tax back that you paid in the year, or do you only get back whatever you overpaid?

Quick question about claiming tax back when unemployed:- when you send in the P50 with your P45, do you get all the tax back that you paid in the year, or do you only get back whatever you overpaid?

Hi sitstill

It depends on how long you are unemployed for and what your gross income was for the year. i.e Say you ceased work on the 31st March - if you earned 5600 up to the end of March and paid 250 tax then up to the end of March you would be due no tax back as you have paid the correct amount of tax to that date (figures are slightly inaccurate). However by the end of April your gross income will be the same therefore your tax due on that income will be calculated over 4 months instead of three which gives you an extra four weeks credit.

What i am trying to explain above is, if by the end of the year you have no other income and your gross is 5600 and tax paid is 250, then you are due the entire amount back. Standard credits entitle you to earn up to 18600 per year without paying tax but that is calculated over a 52 week period. Therefore if you earn 400 per week at the begining of the year - 400 x 52 = 20800 which means that you will be over the 18600 in the year and means you pay tax on 2200 @ 20% = 440 divided by 52 = 8.50 p/w.

So as the weeks progress, by the end of april you have paid more tax then what is due on your gross income to that date.

I hope that helps, if not let me know!

m.j.w wrote: »
    thanks for the help, can i claim back the tax i paid in the first 2 months of this year?

Hi M.J.W,

Any tax that you are due back for the first two months of this year will come back through you wages - even tho you are not been taxed since Feb you can still receive the tax you may have overpaid back through your wages. However it will take a couple of weeks to kick in as your tax is calculated on a cummulative basis.

Quick question for TICKTACKTOE:

I wrote in to have my tax reviewed for last year as I had had a few jobs and knew I had paid too much tax. I sent in 3 P60s and one P45. I got a cheque back today but on the statement I noticed they never included my income or tax paid for the job I sent the P45 for, why do you think this was, did they just forget? Also, I'm in a Trade Union and asked for a Trade Union tax credit and never got it, is this not available any more? Thanks

Quick question for TICKTACKTOE:

I wrote in to have my tax reviewed for last year as I had had a few jobs and knew I had paid too much tax. I sent in 3 P60s and one P45. I got a cheque back today but on the statement I noticed they never included my income or tax paid for the job I sent the P45 for, why do you think this was, did they just forget? Also, I'm in a Trade Union and asked for a Trade Union tax credit and never got it, is this not available any more? Thanks

Hi Sitstill

It appears from the above that they did not process your claim correctly.
    To clarify things I would ring them and query it with them. Trade union credit is still available.
    It could be a case that the p45 and p60s got split up and are been dealt with separatly by different people. I would ring them and see what the story is with your P45. They will be able to pull up the details you submitted as all post items are scanned through a system and can be located via your pps number. If your p45 is not processed yet they will be able to tell you over the phone.
    On the statement you received there definatley should be details of the p45 re pay and tax.
    If you received a cheque back but the details of your p45 were not included, and if the refund was over 400, my advise would be not to cash it yet as you may have to give it back - its a slight possiblity but to be safe and not sorry!

Anyway ring them and if your confused let me know what they say! :)

Hi Sitstill

It appears from the above that they did not process your claim correctly.
    To clarify things I would ring them and query it with them. Trade union credit is still available.
    It could be a case that the p45 and p60s got split up and are been dealt with separatly by different people. I would ring them and see what the story is with your P45. They will be able to pull up the details you submitted as all post items are scanned through a system and can be located via your pps number. If your p45 is not processed yet they will be able to tell you over the phone.
    On the statement you received there definatley should be details of the p45 re pay and tax.
    If you received a cheque back but the details of your p45 were not included, and if the refund was over 400, my advise would be not to cash it yet as you may have to give it back - its a slight possiblity but to be safe and not sorry!

Anyway ring them and if your confused let me know what they say! :)

I rang them and stated my case, was put on hold for a while and then the woman came back and said they will process the P45 and Trade Union tax credit this week. I wasn't really given an explanation or told not to cash the cheque I already received, so I'll take that to mean I can keep it :)

I rang them and stated my case, was put on hold for a while and then the woman came back and said they will process the P45 and Trade Union tax credit this week. I wasn't really given an explanation or told not to cash the cheque I already received, so I'll take that to mean I can keep it :)

As i assumed, they were dealt with separately. The P45 is not processed yet so just hold on to the cheque until you receive further update regards the P45. I dont know your figures so i cant tell you if you are due more back or not. If you want to pm me with the details i will be able to calculate it for you - just an option.

The lady on the phone should have told you that the p45 wasn't dealt with yet.

The person who dealt with the P60s should not have let the review/balancing statement issue out until the p45 was dealt with, but these things happen.

Anyway, it seems that you are now back on track! :)

As i assumed, they were dealt with separately. The P45 is not processed yet so just hold on to the cheque until you receive further update regards the P45. I dont know your figures so i cant tell you if you are due more back or not. If you want to pm me with the details i will be able to calculate it for you - just an option.

The lady on the phone should have told you that the p45 wasn't dealt with yet.

The person who dealt with the P60s should not have let the review/balancing statement issue out until the p45 was dealt with, but these things happen.

Anyway, it seems that you are now back on track! :)

Sent you a PM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Hi,

Great thread. Many thanks to Ticktactoe for shedding light on a confusing area.

I have my own question if any one can help:

I was made redundant about 6 weeks ago. I would like to claim my tax back for this year. I earned a little under 18k and paid under 3000Eur tax.

When I was made redundant I was single but now I am married. Can I still claim back this tax and transfer my tax credits to my wife? Or because she will be using my credits I can't claim my tax back?

She earns approx 400Eur gross per week if this makes any difference.

Thanks in advance,

WM

water-man wrote: »
    Hi,

Great thread. Many thanks to Ticktactoe for shedding light on a confusing area.

I have my own question if any one can help:

I was made redundant about 6 weeks ago. I would like to claim my tax back for this year. I earned a little under 18k and paid under 3000Eur tax.

When I was made redundant I was single but now I am married. Can I still claim back this tax and transfer my tax credits to my wife? Or because she will be using my credits I can't claim my tax back?

She earns approx 400Eur gross per week if this makes any difference.

Thanks in advance,

WM

Hi Water-man,

If your total income for the year up until the 31st December is going to be 18,000 then working off your paye and personal credit you will not be liable for any tax on it as 18,000 * 20% = 3600. Also you have paid 3000 in tax so basically you are due the 3000 back (Paye + Personal tax credit = 3660 which cover your tax liability of 3600)

Going with the above this basically means that you need your credits to cover your income. If you transfer any to your spouse your basically robbing peter to pay paul so to say. However you will have extra rateband. Single rateband is 36000 but you are only using 18000 so if your spouse is earning over her single rate band of 36000 you can transfer some or all of yours to hers as you are married.

Its important to note though that if you are in receipt of Job seekers Benefit, this is taxable and therefore needs to be taken into account for total income for the year. Remember above i stated that if your total income is 18,000, however Jobs Seekers benefit will need to be included as taxable income. Job seekers allowance is not taxable.

Pm me if you are confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stuttgartkelly

Hello,

I have been working in my first job for the last 2 months and as a student I am entitled to claim back all my tax. I am being let go at the end of this month... Is there any way I can claim back the tax I have already paid now or do I have to wait until I leave my job? And what is the procedure to do so?:confused:

Mant thanks

Hello,

I have been working in my first job for the last 2 months and as a student I am entitled to claim back all my tax. I am being let go at the end of this month... Is there any way I can claim back the tax I have already paid now or do I have to wait until I leave my job? And what is the procedure to do so?:confused:

Mant thanks

Hi Stuttgartkelly

There are no tax exemptions for been a student. Everything is calculated on total income. Why students usually get all their tax back is because their total income for the year is too low and therefore is not subjected to tax.

You can only start claiming back the tax you have paid when you cease employment. After that date you must wait four weeks before you submit your first claim. To do this you have to complete a form P50 and submitt it in with parts two and three of your P45.

Any other questions let me know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭maldini

Hi All!!
    Hope someone can clarify my situation regarding tax back etc on my situation. tis a little different than others.
    From Jan - Feb this year I worked as PAYE paying tax for 2 months on a salary of 38K. March - End may I worked a contract earning 15K but as yet Ive paid no tax on this.
    I am totally lost, I'll wait till next year to pay the tax on the contract I think but is there any possibility Im due tax back as Im now unemployed since June.
    Any help greatly appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

I was working a full time job over the summer but now im going back to college again and was wondering if it is possible to claim back any of the PRSI i payed during the summer. As i worked in the same place last Xmas as well i was employed with them from the start of the year but i asked for my p45 this week to see of i can reclaim any tax. I have tried looking for info on this but its hard to find, any help is appreciated.

injured365 wrote: »
    I was working a full time job over the summer but now im going back to college again and was wondering if it is possible to claim back any of the PRSI i payed during the summer. As i worked in the same place last Xmas as well i was employed with them from the start of the year but i asked for my p45 this week to see of i can reclaim any tax. I have tried looking for info on this but its hard to find, any help is appreciated.

Hi

PRSI is dealt with by Dept of social and family affairs. There is contact info on their website http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PRSI/Pages/prsiexp.aspx

maldini wrote: »
    Hi All!!
    Hope someone can clarify my situation regarding tax back etc on my situation. tis a little different than others.
    From Jan - Feb this year I worked as PAYE paying tax for 2 months on a salary of 38K. March - End may I worked a contract earning 15K but as yet Ive paid no tax on this.
    I am totally lost, I'll wait till next year to pay the tax on the contract I think but is there any possibility Im due tax back as Im now unemployed since June.
    Any help greatly appreciated!!
    Are you registered for RCT? i.e C2 card for your contract work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 obs

I was a member of band which had a company set up to run the day to day dealing of the band and so I was deemed self employed. However band split up in 2007 but I was still self employed for 2008 to 2009 even though I didn't earn anything from the band. I got a normal job paying tax through the company I worked for so the only income I had was that income and some income from job seekers allowance.
    I now have to complete a form 11 - do I have to pay tax again on my income from my job and the welfare???? and do I get any deductions for rent I paid or anything like that... totally lost to be honest

I'M A MUSICIAN NOT AN ACCOUNTANT HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 sve

Hi guys,

I have seen your info is very informative..

I wanted to know how much tax would i be able to claim approx in case if I leave ireland. I lost my job here in mid june this year, i worked for an IT company for last 10months. I am not finding any interesting jobs and salary is lesser than being paid in the earlier company. Thinking to go back to my native country. I will appreciate if you could let me know how much will be refunded if claim the tax.
    Gross pay for PAYE this yr since 1st Jan'12 - 45156
    tax deducted since 1st jan - 11650
    usc deducted since 1st Jan - 2820

I need to take few decisions based on this. I appreciate your help in advance.

God bless you guys !!!
    Hi sitstill

It depends on how long you are unemployed for and what your gross income was for the year. i.e Say you ceased work on the 31st March - if you earned 5600 up to the end of March and paid 250 tax then up to the end of March you would be due no tax back as you have paid the correct amount of tax to that date (figures are slightly inaccurate). However by the end of April your gross income will be the same therefore your tax due on that income will be calculated over 4 months instead of three which gives you an extra four weeks credit.

What i am trying to explain above is, if by the end of the year you have no other income and your gross is 5600 and tax paid is 250, then you are due the entire amount back. Standard credits entitle you to earn up to 18600 per year without paying tax but that is calculated over a 52 week period. Therefore if you earn 400 per week at the begining of the year - 400 x 52 = 20800 which means that you will be over the 18600 in the year and means you pay tax on 2200 @ 20% = 440 divided by 52 = 8.50 p/w.

So as the weeks progress, by the end of april you have paid more tax then what is due on your gross income to that date.

I hope that helps, if not let me know!

Advertisement