Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to claim back tax?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all,
    I finished work in August this year. I believe I may be due tax back - how do I find out? And what is the process I need to go through??
    How do I claim back my tax?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I claimed some tax back a few years ago. I just had to ring up the revenue and ask for a tax balancing statement (I think its called a P21). It only took about 2 weeks to get my rebate.

I finished work in October of this year so I'll be making another claim in January. Should be a few quid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Hi all,
    I finished work in August this year. I believe I may be due tax back - how do I find out? And what is the process I need to go through??
    How do I claim back my tax?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

A p21 balancing statement would not work in this case as you are talking about the current year. A p21 only can be issued for previous years as it is a balancing statement for 1st Jan - 31st Dec of any year. However as the year is nearly over you would best to wait until Jan 09 and submit your P60 with a written request asking for a review of 2008. Otherwise it is a P50 form - Tax back during unemployment accompanied by parts 2 & 3 of your p45. Again revenue receive it and process it, it will be next year anyway. December is a very busy month for Revenue. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

I just sent my P45 to my local tax office with a cover letter stating I wanted to claim any taxes due to me. I got a payment couple of weeks later the full amount of tax I had paid that was stated on my P45.
    Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

In$omniac wrote: »
    I just sent my P45 to my local tax office with a cover letter stating I wanted to claim any taxes due to me. I got a payment couple of weeks later the full amount of tax I had paid that was stated on my P45.

Seriously? You received a repayment of ALL the PAYE you'd paid to date this year?

:-O

I just submitted my P50 (moved to the UK) and I was under the impression they only refunded your unused tax credits?

In$omniac wrote: »
    If your income to date was under €18,300 and you paid tax then you would received the full amount of tax back that you paid as most people would get their personal tax credit of 1830 and Paye tax credit of 1830 = 3660. €18,300@20% = 3660 (which is covered by your tax credits) and therefore no tax would be due on your income. Any tax stated then on your p45 should be refunded.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

How does one go about getting their teeth done for free?

How does one go about getting their teeth done for free?

It depends on your prsi contributions etc. I would contact social welfare and ask them as this is their area. Its somewhere in sligo that deals with it but if you ring their general switch board number in dublin they can redirect you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭happypartygirl

Hi there

I used to work in a dentist and most people are eligible for relief on their dental care, so long as you have been living and working in Ireland full time for a certain number of years (I think it is 3).

You are entitled to one free dental examination (check up_) and 2 free scale & polish's (teeth cleaning) annually. You are also allowed money back on most other dental work (bridges, crowns, fillings etc).

Call up your dentist and ask them what way they assist you with your PRSI dental care. Some dentists will do the work and all you need to do is bring along your PRSI number. Other dentists you will need to pay up front, but at the end of treatment there will be a form they will give you to fill out and you will be later reimbursed. This can take up to 8 weeks but you will get a cheque in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gratusa

Hey - don't forget that any PRSI claim is based upon your contributions from three years ago - or is that just for unemployment?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    If your income to date was under €18,300 and you paid tax then you would received the full amount of tax back that you paid as most people would get their personal tax credit of 1830 and Paye tax credit of 1830 = 3660. €18,300@20% = 3660 (which is covered by your tax credits) and therefore no tax would be due on your income. Any tax stated then on your p45 should be refunded.:)

Sorry now you may have explained this, but what happens when you earn more than €18,300? Like I earned close to 30K last year and I've under €2k to claim in tax. Should I get the full amount? Or a percentage? Does anyone know that if it's a percentage how much it's calculated on?

Fecking recession has me looking for pennies everywhere :p

• Advertisement

pandaboy wrote: »
    Sorry now you may have explained this, but what happens when you earn more than €18,300? Like I earned close to 30K last year and I've under €2k to claim in tax. Should I get the full amount? Or a percentage? Does anyone know that if it's a percentage how much it's calculated on?

Fecking recession has me looking for pennies everywhere :p
    LOL, arn't we all!

It depends on what your claiming for..
    If you earned 30,000 last year then your tax would be calculated as follows:
    30,000 @ 20% (assuming you have the single persons rateband) = 6000
    Your tax credits would come into play here. I do not know your personal circumstances so i am giving you the standard credits of paye 1830 and personal tax credit of 1830 which is equall to 3660.
    So
    The 6000 above less the 3660 credits you have = 2340
    So you should have paid €2340 in tax last year.
    This figure does not change unless you now want to claim extra credits for last year i.e medical expenses, trade union, rent tax credit.
    If you claim these and qualify then your credits are increased meaning you should have paid less tax last year.

Am i confusing you? If there is a particular query you have in mind, just PM me and Il reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hi guys,
    Not sure if this is the correct thread or forum but I was wondering is one entitled to tax relief on the costs of professional registration fees(compulsory) and fees into compulsory continuous professional/educational training?Hope you can help and that I am in the correct thread!
    Selig

seligehgit wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Not sure if this is the correct thread or forum but I was wondering is one entitled to tax relief on the costs of professional registration fees(compulsory) and fees into compulsory continuous professional/educational training?Hope you can help and that I am in the correct thread!
    Selig

Hi Seligehgit
    There is no specific tax relief for professional registration fees/compulsory continuous professional/educational training. These expenses are included in the tax relief credit called 'Flat rate expenses'.
    “Flat rate” expenses are approved by Revenue in relation to certain employments/occupations. The amount is agreed between Revenue and representatives of groups or classes of employees (usually the employees are represented by trade union officials). The agreed amount is then applied to all employees of the class or group in question.
    For example teachers get a flat rate expense of 518 for 2008, Veterinary Surgeons 317 for 2008, Dentist 376 in 2008 etc. A list is available on the Revenue website. These amounts can be different for previous years. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RU4REAL

Hi everyone, great thread.

I'm trying to get my tax back from last year and have been told conflicting information from the revenue phone lines .. I'm wondering if the tax gurus here can shed a little light for me :)

I'm married, and earned 14,000 last year (temporary contract that is now finished). My husband earned approx 32,000. Other income that we have is our rented house, which is approx 16000 (which goes to the bank unfort!).

One lady from the revenue phone line told me to send my husbands P60, and his return of income tax for last year to the collector general division in limerick. They will then issue us a 'notice of assesment'.

The second lady told me just to post my husbands P60 to the PAYE mail center in Ennis. (She didn't mention any other forms).

They seem to have my P60 details. I'm not sure though which office to send the information to - and if I will get my tax back at all. I think I'm due over 2000.

Thanks for all of your help in advance

RU4REAL wrote: »

I'm trying to get my tax back from last year and have been told conflicting information from the revenue phone lines .. I'm wondering if the tax gurus here can shed a little light for me :)

I'm married, and earned 14,000 last year (temporary contract that is now finished). My husband earned approx 32,000. Other income that we have is our rented house, which is approx 16000 (which goes to the bank unfort!).

One lady from the revenue phone line told me to send my husbands P60, and his return of income tax for last year to the collector general division in limerick. They will then issue us a 'notice of assesment'.

The second lady told me just to post my husbands P60 to the PAYE mail center in Ennis. (She didn't mention any other forms).

They seem to have my P60 details. I'm not sure though which office to send the information to - and if I will get my tax back at all. I think I'm due over 2000.

Hi RU4REAL!
    This is actually easily sorted however it really depends on a few questions that need to be answered but il do my best.
    Basically, if you and your husband have other income (which in this case is Rental income) and if that income is over approx 4000 (which it is) then ye are registered for 'Income Tax' for tax purposes. This means that ye are assessed differently to people who are just paye assessed.
    As ye are registered for Income tax (this is known as self assessed) you and your husband make an annualy return each year and a notice of assessment is issued which is a balancing statement for the year your return is made for - from what i have read above you all ready know this detail.
    So basically in order to get your refund for last year, Revenue must have your returns so that the notice of assessment can be issued.

For refund puposes, it depends on what way you and your husband have yourselves assessed - Married and Joint assessed? Married and separetly assessed or Married and separate treatment.
    Assumeing that ye are Married and Joint assessed the amount of the refund will be apportioned as to how much tax you both have paid i.e if your husband paid 8000 in tax and you paid 2000 then the refund due to both of you will be apportioned 4:1. If the refund due is 2000, then it will be apportioned that your husband gets four times the amount of the refund to what you get. This can be changed by stating it in writing while submitting your forms what way ye want it i.e you receive all the refund or your husband receives all the refund etc.

The best thing to do is to submit the return for last year, to your local tax office (there is a contact locator on the revenue website) or just let me know your county and i can tell you what your local tax office is. Send it into the 'Self Assessing Section'. Each district has a self assessing section which deal with returns and when they are completed are then forward on to the Collector General in Limerick to be checked and archived. If you send it straight to the Collector general in limerick it could take longer to be deal with and if you query it, it is much harder to get talking to someone there. You local tax office is the best bet.

At this stage in the year, Revenue will most likely have your P60 details on file as the dead line for employers to send in the p35's is coming close. P35s are pay, tax and prsi details of all employees that work for employers. So when you were speaking with the operator and they said they had your p60 details, its because your employer had submitted their p35/30 for the company. If your husband also works for an employer, chances are his employer has also submitted in their P35, however as you both are registered for Income Tax this means that ye have other income and a return needs to be made.

So after all of the above, complete the return, send it in to your local tax office with a copy of yer p60s. If ye want to ring ye local tax office a few days later to check and see if they received it, just ask to speak to someone in the self assessing section. From your/your husbands pps number they will be able to tell you if they received it or not as all post items are scanned on receipt into the system.

I hope i didn't confuse you but the Income Tax/Paye system can be complex and hard to explain! Any questions let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RU4REAL

Thanks a million Ticktacktoe. I'm now a lot more wiser on what is going on. I have one small question..

Given our above circumstances, are we better to be assessed as:
    married & joint assessed
    married & seperatly assessed
    or married and seperatly assessed ?

I know this will all depend on our incomes etc.. And also if I do manage to find full time work will we have to change our assesment? My normal salary is in the range of 45,000.

Do you think in future, we should wait to do this when we submit our tax returns for the October deadline with our accountant?

Thanks so much :)

Thanks a million Ticktacktoe. I'm now a lot more wiser on what is going on. I have one small question..

Given our above circumstances, are we better to be assessed as:
    married & joint assessed
    married & seperatly assessed
    or married and seperatly assessed ?

I know this will all depend on our incomes etc.. And also if I do manage to find full time work will we have to change our assesment? My normal salary is in the range of 45,000.

Do you think in future, we should wait to do this when we submit our tax returns for the October deadline with our accountant?

Thanks so much :)
    Im glad it mad sense. Once you have some sort of an understanding, its quite easy to sort out your taxes then!

The best thing i can do to answer your question is to explain what is meant by the above assessments.
    Married and joint assessed means - both incomes are assessed together and ratebands and credits are transferable from one spouse to the other.
    Married and separetly assessed means - you are assessed like single people except you can still transfer ratebands and credits between ye.
    Married and spearate treatment means - you are assessed like single people and no rateband or credits can be transferred.

The difference between joint assessed and separetly assessed is you get your own tax statement and in your case above YOU do not have to make a return as the rental income is (i assume) in your husbands name. So while ye are married, your income is assessed separetly however you do have the benefit or transfering any extra rateband or credits between ye. So an example of this would be:
    You earn 14000 and paid 1000 tax as you didn't work the full year. This means that you income for 2008 was 14,000 which is subjected to 20% tax as you are well below your rateband of 36600. 14,000 @ 20% = 2800. You have a paye credit of 1830 (which is NON transferable between spouses by the way) and a personal tax credit of 1830 (which IS transferable between spouses). So your total tax credits is 3660. However you tax demand is 2880 and your credits are 3660 so this means that you have excess credits of 860. As your personal tax credit IS transferable this means you can transfer 860 of your personal tax credit to your husband and this in turn means that he can earn an extra 4300 without paying tax on it (as 4300 x 20% = 860)
    Thats not all!
    If you husbands total income (paye and rental income) is above his rateband of 36600 you can give him some of your excess rateband as you only need 14000 of yours. HOWEVER, and this is important, you must retain 26600 of your own rateband (due to individualisation that was brought in by Charlie McCreevey to encourage women to go back to work) and therefore can only transfer the excess above it. So in this case you can transfer 10000 to your husband.
    How this works is: if you husbands total income is 50000 then in the normal case his income would be assessed as follows:
    36600 @ 20% and
    13400 @ 41%

Now as you are transfer 10000 of your excess rateband to him his income is then assessed as follows:
    46600 @ 20% and
    3400 @41%

As you can see the difference is quite good. Basically the 10000 you gave him takes that amount out of the 41% bracket and puts it into the 20% bracket, giving him a savings of 21% on 10000 = 2100! and dont forget the savings of your credit that you would also give him of 860, giving him a total savings of 2960.
    AND you also get your 1000 back as you left your income covered with enough credits to not have to pay tax on it.
    So in total between ye, you would get a refund of 3960, nearly 4000!

If ye went separetly assessed, you could claim for your refund of 1000 at anytime without making a return. Your husband would still need to make his return however he would not include your income on it as ye would be separetly assessed.
    If ye were jointed assessed ye would have to submitted the return with both income and tax details on it and the refund would be apportioned between ye.

For last year, its really a choice ye have to make as it wont make any difference as you are both due back this amount (based on my fictional figures above as an example!!).

For this year, it depends on what you think yer incomes are going to be? If yours is going to be 45000 then you wont have any excess rateband or credits to transfer to your husband. If his income is going to be similar then there wont be any benefit of transfering credits etc as both of you will be using up yer own.
    Again how you want to be assessed is a choice. Do you want to stay separate to his 'Income Tax assessing' and just go through the paye system however still retaining the benefit of transfering excess credits and rate band, then ye would be asking for Separate Assessment.
    If it doesnt matter to you then joint assessed would be the way.
    With joint assessed, if you both are due any type of refund, it will automatically be generated when yer return is submitted as ye are joint assessed and credits and ratebands will be apportioned accordingly due to been Joint Assessed. If ye are separetly assessed then any refund due might not be generated as ye are SEPARETLY assessed and any excess credits will not be transferred automatically.
    As for separate treatment, well there is no benefit really as ye are both treated as single except with married status and no credits or rateband can be transferred.

I hope the above make sense and clears any of your queries up. If not just let me know!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Hello all. If i could touch upon an earlier point. When requesting a p21 early last year, i got a big run around directing me to the website, which long story short never let me do it. Does anyone know a telephone/e-mail /postal way of requesting a p21 for now the last 2 years if possible, or just 08 if thats all i can apply for at this stage? I live in north county dublin btw and have no idea where my local tax office is.
    Many thanks.
    Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

If you click onto this website revenue.ie you should find a contact locator at the bottom right of the page, if you follow that link and enter in your pps it will bring up which offive to deal with.

link http://www.revenue.ie/en/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bellcamp

You can claim tax back yourself by requesting a P21 from the revenue. However this won't provide a comprehensive review taking into account health expenses or bin charges.

My advice is to get a professional who shouldn't charge too much. Accountants could do it if they're not busy and should charge around 60euros or try www.radhairc.com for an Irish online service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MrJetlag

Folks

Hoping someone can answer this for me

I'm doing a part time masters course for the next 2 years

Annual fee in 8540 Euro

I paid 1440 aleady and have a direct debit of 710 euro per month for next 10 months.

DO i have to wait till the end of the year when all teh direct debits are paid to claim back the relief or can i go ahead and make my claim now.

Also Im planning on taking a voluntary severence package in around June

It will be my first redundancy. Is there a way of claiming back teh tax i will pay on this as well as my PAYE.

thanks

Jetlag

MrJetlag wrote: »
    Folks

Hoping someone can answer this for me

I'm doing a part time masters course for the next 2 years

Annual fee in 8540 Euro

I paid 1440 aleady and have a direct debit of 710 euro per month for next 10 months.

DO i have to wait till the end of the year when all teh direct debits are paid to claim back the relief or can i go ahead and make my claim now.

Also Im planning on taking a voluntary severence package in around June

It will be my first redundancy. Is there a way of claiming back teh tax i will pay on this as well as my PAYE.

thanks

Jetlag

Hi Jetlag

You can claim relief on the amount paid in relation to your tuition fees. i.e 1440. You can only claim on fees paid. Therefore you can claim each month the direct debit is paid or wait until the year is out and claim in total. The relief will be granted through you wages for the current year. However if you take the redundancy you will get a p45 and you can claim after a minimum of 4 weeks from cessation for the relief then which means you will recieve a lump sum.

Your redundancy is taxed as follows:
    Statutory redundancy is not taxed.
    Anything over the statutory i.e ex gratia is taxable however you have your basic exemption and increased exemption to offset against it. Depending on the amount you get paid, but if processed correctly by your employer you may not have to pay tax on any of it - again depends on the figure you get paid and the number of years service.

Hope this helps! :)

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Hello all. If i could touch upon an earlier point. When requesting a p21 early last year, i got a big run around directing me to the website, which long story short never let me do it. Does anyone know a telephone/e-mail /postal way of requesting a p21 for now the last 2 years if possible, or just 08 if thats all i can apply for at this stage? I live in north county dublin btw and have no idea where my local tax office is.
    Many thanks.
    Jim

Hi Jim
    Your paye enquiry phone number to call is 1890 333 425
    Or you can contact the dublin regional office who can redirect your query to your local office at dublinregoff@revenue.ie

Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There is an online system out there, sign up.. wait for a pin and then log in and request directly from there.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/online/paye-anytime.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Hi All,

I've just been made Redundant after working in my place for 6 years,
    My mates are saying i can claim my tax back because i was paying PRSI, I've not idea to be honest as this is the 1st time i've been made Redundant,

Can anyone clear up this for me.
    I know i can now claim Job Seekers allowance.

I was earning €28,500/Year before tax while working there,

Do i get my whole tax back that i paid in PRSI ?
    If so is it just 1 years ?

Sorry i might be totally wrong here, It's just something my mates where saying to me but they might be wrong and I have no idea

Cheers all.

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've just been made Redundant after working in my place for 6 years,
    My mates are saying i can claim my tax back because i was paying PRSI, I've not idea to be honest as this is the 1st time i've been made Redundant,

Can anyone clear up this for me.
    I know i can now claim Job Seekers allowance.

I was earning €28,500/Year before tax while working there,

Do i get my whole tax back that i paid in PRSI ?
    If so is it just 1 years ?

Sorry i might be totally wrong here, It's just something my mates where saying to me but they might be wrong and I have no idea

Cheers all.

Hi Never

PRSI and Tax (PAYE) are separate things. Your prsi contributions relate to your social welfare and job seekers.

Your paye is the tax you pay on what is considered your gross income.
    In relation to taxing your redundancy, it depends on what you receive.
    If its statutory redundancy and you have been working for 6 years with the company your redundancy will be exempt from tax as you will have your basic exemption of €10,000. Therefore your employer should not tax your redundancy. If they do (which i doubt they will) you can claim it back off revenue.
    If you have been paying PAYE tax to date and you are ceasing work you will also qualify for Tax back during unemployment. This can be claimed four weeks after you cease work and a claim must be submitted every four weeks there after to keep receiving your tax back. You need to fill out a P50 form for this and submit it with the original parts two and three of your p45.

Hope the above helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    Hi Never

PRSI and Tax (PAYE) are separate things. Your prsi contributions relate to your social welfare and job seekers.

Your paye is the tax you pay on what is considered your gross income.
    In relation to taxing your redundancy, it depends on what you receive.
    If its statutory redundancy and you have been working for 6 years with the company your redundancy will be exempt from tax as you will have your basic exemption of €10,000. Therefore your employer should not tax your redundancy. If they do (which i doubt they will) you can claim it back off revenue.
    If you have been paying PAYE tax to date and you are ceasing work you will also qualify for Tax back during unemployment. This can be claimed four weeks after you cease work and a claim must be submitted every four weeks there after to keep receiving your tax back. You need to fill out a P50 form for this and submit it with the original parts two and three of your p45.

Hope the above helps! :)

Thanks for your answer,

So every 4 weeks what amount will i get back ?
    Is this as well as Job seekers allowance ?

Thanks again.

NeVeR wrote: »
    Thanks for your answer,

So every 4 weeks what amount will i get back ?
    Is this as well as Job seekers allowance ?

Thanks again.

You apply and receive you Jobs seekers from Social welfare (or the Dept of Social and family affairs as they are correctly known now). This is separate to Revenue so yes you will receive your tax repayment as well as your job seekers.

I am unable to tell you what rebate you will receive each week unless i know you gross pay, tax paid, your annual or weekly credits and your rateband on your P45. If you want to pm i can calculate it for you.
    How you can get the details now is from a recent payslip. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I have a quick question,

if I want to claim back tax from last year do I need to send in my P60 or will my final payslip of the year suffice?

• Advertisement

sitstill wrote: »
    I have a quick question,

if I want to claim back tax from last year do I need to send in my P60 or will my final payslip of the year suffice?

hi sitstill. P60 is preferred however if u have exhausted all means of getting one a final payslip will suffice. It must be a final payslip tho. Hope that helps!

Advertisement