Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meanwhile, over in After Hours...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Should have just said that at the start.
    But that would end all internet debate. There is a high number of morons on Irish roads though and aligned with terrible infrastructure for ALL modes, it doesn't make for pleasant travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There are also motorists who drive in cycle lanes. I'd be interested to hear how many motorists have NEVER dipped a wheel into a mandatory (solid white line) cycle lane. This is common practice to go around the inside of a car turning right in my experience, and is totally illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Should have just said that at the start.

or the OP could of not bothered to open the thread based on same discussion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

This isn't going to get anywhere

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Eoin D wrote: »
    This isn't going to get anywhere

Does it ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

We're on the road to nowhere, c'mon inside!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Three point I'd like to make:

1. Sometimes it's necessary for me to take the central position in the lane for safety reasons due to poor road surface, glass, etc at the kerbside or with am impending right turn to get my bike to the centre of the road. I give no apologies for the ire it causes traffic behind. My safety is my responsibility and my number one concern.

2. There are many occasions that the cycle tracks are not practical to enter especially when on footpads ;) containing people waiting at bus stops or alighting from busses. I also (unintentionally) scare the bejaysus out of ipodestrians on said tracks/foothpads ;) combos when I whizz past at +30kph.

3. It helps hugely to be a confident commuter cyclist and be nimble on your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

ntlbell wrote: »
    This is not about rights.

It's about commonsense I don't really care where people cycle as long as it's not in the middle of the road holding the rest of the country up.

Stay in on the fecking left and let cars pass safely.

Surely most cyclists do this. No?

On my route to work I have to cycle along fairly narrow roads with lots of traffic, before nine the traffic is barely moving. There's no room for me to filter so I end-up on the foot path quite a lot. Its either that or take half an hour to travel 3 km, if I want to go that slow I might as well drive! When it is moving its just moving in < 50 m bursts, yet motorists still insist on overtaking me even when there's barely room. Why? All they are doing is getting to the next tail back 2 seconds quicker.

How much time is actually added to motorists journey time by cyclists? If all the cyclists started driving tomorrow it would take you even longer to get to work.

There are very few cycle paths where I live, but as has been pointed out many cycle lanes are unusable. This is a fact, not cyclists being stubborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

blorg wrote: »
    There are also motorists who drive in cycle lanes. I'd be interested to hear how many motorists have NEVER dipped a wheel into a mandatory (solid white line) cycle lane. This is common practice to go around the inside of a car turning right in my experience, and is totally illegal.

At the Luas station on Stephen's Green last night, about 11.40pm, some guy actually drove his car through the tiny cycle lane that runs alongside it - where the construction hoarding is at the moment. To the motoring forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Surely most cyclists do this. No?
    No all yOUSE cyclers stay on the pad till there is a walker and only then can u go on de rodes. and not too far out I don;t want to have to drive over youse.

Yous all take a seceret oath to annoy us, I know yous do. And when you go on de rodes first thing you think of is how can you annoy us that pays for your rodes with our tax.

I'm trying to help yous and should thank me for doing my best not to kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Isn't it time to change your nickname to Peeddadrummah?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No all yOUSE cyclers stay on the pad till there is a walker and only then can u go on de rodes. and not too far out I don;t want to have to drive over youse.

Yous all take a seceret oath to annoy us, I know yous do. And when you go on de rodes first thing you think of is how can you annoy us that pays for your rodes with our tax.

I'm trying to help yous and should thank me for doing my best not to kill you.
    You might find this useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Jez lads this is funny. Ah well if we going to have a debate lets make it a good 'un....................... Was the cyclist in question (the cyclist the op was going on about) wearing a helmet?!

Doh! thats done it!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I miss ntlbell, I laughed all morning but now he's gone I've nothing to amuse me anymore:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Mopeds are traffic, truckers are traffic, busses are traffic, cyclists are traffic

I didn't list all the above in my point why should I make special circumstances for cyclists

I think that, again, you're missing the point. The problem with what you said was the lack of clarity. I'm not suggesting you make "special circumstances", rather that you clarify the terms of the statement. What you said was open to interpretation or clarification of the sort that kenmc suggested. He drew an entirely reasonable inference from your statement. If you wanted to preclude that inference then you ought to have expressed yourself more precisely. Having had the confusion pointed out to you, you could have recognized the relevance and helpfulness of the clarification and accepted it graciously. You didn't do that.
    I don't hold up _any_ traffic of _any_ kind or at least do my best at all times not do so, while driving my car, motorbike or cycling. He didn't have a point he made an assumption that I made an error he was wrong.

Your error was in your lack of clarity. In identifying that lack of clarity he did have a point, you just didn't get it.
    Maybe if they were asked to pay some road tax for the maintenance of these lanes they might start to use them

That's so riddled with misunderstandings that it's hardly worth engaging with. (If you search the discussions on this forum you'll find plenty of explanations of what's wrong with your suggestion.)

Just to be clear, I'm not defending poor cycling or bad lane discipline by road users in general. I do drive occasionally so I can sympathize with your frustration.
    Sorry, I didn't think it was a complex question.

Let me dumb it down.

It's evidently more complex than you realize, but I think your attempts to dumb it down have been admirable...

Yous all take a seceret oath to annoy us, I know yous do.

Cripes, he's on to us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Motorists as a species are disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

When I drive, I leave in PLENTY of time, so that I can take my time and drive with the due care and attention to ALL road users, with which I was taught when learning how to drive.
    If these means sitting behind 2 abreast cyclists for an extra minute until it is safe to pass them......I've only lost a minute, but then again, I left in plenty of time in case something UNEXPECTED (or in this case EXPECTED) happened...........I expect to see cyclists on the road.

When I cycle, I give myself plenty of room to my left, so as not to scrape the footpath, or damage my wheels in a drain well, or cycle through the build up of leaves. If it is SAFE for me to do so, I will pull over a little more when I notice the car that has been sitting behind me for some time.(The driver has been patient, so I do my bit).So as to let him past.

The problem with a hell of a lot of drivers in this country is a lack of patience, I have been guilty of it myself.

Motorists that bang on about cyclists holding them up, are the same ones who do 80 in a 50 zone, accelerate through the amber light, drive taxis etc etc...............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

flickerx wrote: »
    Motorists as a species are disgusting.

I think they smell bad and need to wash more often :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RapidResults

Apart from the poor state of cycle lanes, another reason why cyclists must sometimes ride outside them is if there are parked cars to the left of the lane. The width of the lane is about the same as the length of a car door that might be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

...... within 6 inches of a cyclist :)
    Gotcha! definitely non-European. (Possibly British/American) You may sell those white Sidis:D by the way Metric is always more impressive when boasting!
    Missed this thread but enjoyed the fun. I'm one of those miserable motorists by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

sy wrote: »
    Gotcha! definitely non-European. (Possibly British/American) You may sell those white Sidis:D by the way Metric is always more impressive when boasting!
    Missed this thread but enjoyed the fun. I'm one of those miserable motorists by the way.

Isn't Britain in Europe? Was last I checked.... and yes, you've uncovered my dirty little secret..... I have been here over 20 years though...

Inches just mean far more for heights, distance -though I use km for spin distances! :)

Tip for Tiny: It always sounds bigger if you measure it in centimetres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Tip for Tiny: It always sounds bigger if you measure it in centimetres.

That's why my waist size is always in inches!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Best post in the entire thread :D
    oeb wrote:
    Don't listen to these cyclist loving hippies OP! I have a much better solution. If you were to drive on the footpath(d) you will avoid all the problems. No more unsafe overtaking, you will zip right through rush hour traffic, and pedestrians leave a smaller dent than a bicycle does!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

what has that got to do with anything?

I don't hold up cyclists either.

I regularly get held up by selfish motorists who have come to a standstill on parts of the road they've no right to be on. Like going across a junction when it's clear there is no space for them without blocking other traffic, then the lights change and they're blocking our lane. Forcing themselves around a corner into standstill traffic and blocking the cycle lane. Stopping in the middle of a lane with their indicator on trying to get into the left/right lane as they were too idiotic to get into the correct lane in the first place, thus holding up two lanes of traffic. These things are all particularly annoying in areas where the lights go green for all of ten seconds and then you've to wait about 10 minutes before they change again.

Advertisement