Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connemara Ultra marathon.. ..sure why not?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

3rd :eek:!!!!! Well done!!! Savage!!! Smashed 5 hours!!! Well done again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Excellent stuff Abhainn. Congrats - that's some serious running. Inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Well Well Well 3rd place?!?! :eek:
    Oh my God Congatulations
    That 5th gear was working for ye! Did Sungod keep up?
    I didn`t know your name so the suspence was killing me!
    I lost sight of ye at 2 mile mark..Bring on the gory details please.
    I was out dancing last night and saw 4th place fella but he wasn`t willing to get down and boogie :rolleyes:
    I was 14th place myself!!! (1st woman) so there`s no wiping the smile of my sunburnt face...
    Just had a breakfast roll :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Thanks guys. Those results are provisional. I was told I finished 4th. I was talking to an irish dude who said he came 3rd in 4:46.
    Magnet yes I caught him at the mile 35. He was suffering a bit. Great girl yourself. Should be very proud

Sat - Day before race

Travelled down to Galway and had registered by 3.30 and thankfully no queuing.
    Then first BBQ of the year, heh March what’s this? Yes attended a BBQ party where after the great rugby game was watched. Any Ultra run was at the back of my mind for those hours. Had a couple glasses of wine and some champagne to celebrate. Brilliant.
    Sorted gear and food drops for the next day. Bed by 10.45. Too late to watch the Dunne in the boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Abhainn,never doubted sub 5 for you but you smashed it ...well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Go on the Abhainn :D are there no ends to your talent

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Euchrid

Didn't expect you on-line today! Congrats again! As I said on the connenara thread - You looked so fresh when you went past me. I had no doubt at that point you were going sub-5. You weren't even that far off the winner in the end - ten mins? He went through the 1/3 marker in 1:20 and was flying so I though he might challenge the course record which is about 4:11 (I think) but he obviously suffered for the pace later.

I know last year the final positions chopped and changed a few times as they sorted out the chip timings, but I hope you manage to hold onto 3rd.

So what's next? Down to Galway for the 100km on Saturday? :-)

Sunday Match 22nd Race day

Fair sleep though I was stuck to the bed when the alarm went off at 5.40. See that there are clear skies outside. Then quick check on the RTE website. Leading story was Dunne marvellous win in the boxing. Fantastic. Can the weekend get any better?
    Usual breakfast of porridge, coffee, 2 slices brown toast with peanut butter. Felt full.
    Got the first bus to Maam and before you know SUNGOD, the man in tights says hello. A few more introductions were had including a local guy from my native Sligo. It’s not often there are two guys from a rural parish been are mad enough to run in the same Ultra.
    Then SUNGOD looks round for some boardies. Magnet and MP1972 maybe would stand out are both are supposed be not so tall in stature just like him. But he decided against the yelling “any boards people here?”. I been shy also declined!
    To the start and Ultraman1 and Aqua Girl make themselves known. Both look well with there running glasses and Ultraman1 seems a be a bit of a character.
    My parish friend then decides to go and take lead a few Dubs and english to a safe place for a piddle. But for his kind efforts falls over and steps in a bog hole. One wet and muddy foot was the outcome. You’d think man from the country would know where not to step!!
    Off we go and SG and I set off somewhere in the middle of the pack. We had sort of decided running together at 7:30 mile pace and we’d just see how we would get on. This would be my first time running with someone so I took it as been a positive thing, rather than running for 5hrs on my own which could be head wrecking.
    At mile 1 we came along side a girl running in an Athnery AC singlet and around 5 feet in height.
    “Could this be Magnet “says SG?” Should I say Hello, are you Magnet? If not would she think I a bit mad? “ he continues.
    As we pass SG in his brazenness , “Hello are you Magnet” The reply was a great big grin. We chatted for a minute and said our farewells.
    After 4 miles or so we had settled in to a nice rhythm of around 7:25 pace, Some miles were sub 7 and some just over 07:30, but possibly the markers weren’t accurate. There were perhaps 10 or so runners ahead and we gradually passed by a few. The wind was on our faces and strong at times. We would run 19 miles in this.
    We came upon a foreign lad soon who later was known by the name Julien. He is quite lad of few words who must have weighed some 15kg lighter than me. All three of us ran together me providing each mile split. SG is a gas man too. We chatted about all sorts including the boards dudes, DONOTHOPONPOP, Slogger Jogger Amadeus, Rusty Clogs and SUMAC attempting their sub three in Rotterdam.
    At mile 9 or so as we take our first right turn we are told there are just 3 runners ahead of us. We think there are maybe one or so more but we are well up the field anyway.
    We run through 10 miles in 1:14 even and both feel good though, it seems Julien is struggling at times. At any stage I expect him to fall back.
    At 12 miles there seems to be an Ultra food stop. I get confused and remember I left my goodies labelled for the stop at 13 miles and run on. It turns out my stuff was at mile 12 as there was nothing at mile 13. Never mind I had enough gels and SG had extra anyway.
    Through 13.1 in 1:36:40.This was a bit quicker than planned. At mile 14 we begin to overtake the marathon runners. Wind is still rather strong but as we pass the marathon runners we get many shouts of support. We feel very cool. Our French friend then gets chatty and he begins to pass the first of his 60 friends over from that land. We’re averaging around 07:20 pace now
    At mile 19 SG decides to slow up to 8:00 miles pace and I continue on with my FF unsure if I should continue with this pace for much longer.
    Through mile 20 in just under 2:28. My friend then disappears to a portaloo. I slow up slightly and look around once or twice thinking I’d see him behind me. But I see no sign and decide to push on. I start to think a good finish is on the cards here as long as I can keep it steady.
    It’s a nice run into Leeane and the legs aren’t too bad. I’m running on my own overtaking many marathon runners. I’m hoping the supplies I have left at 26 miles are there. Around mile 24 I here shouts “Joe ,Joe”. One guess? My French friend. I allow him to catch up and. He seems to be in great form and won’t stop talking. The visit to the portaloo seems to have given him a second wind.
    He pushes on, I let him go. I’d rather be running on my own now anyway.
    My supplies are at mile 26 thankfully and the split at the marathon point is 3:12:20. A negative split for the marathon, so not bad. Get fuelled up for the hill at Leenane and while it wasn’t easy these miles were still sub 07:30. I am thinking maybe sub 4:50 is on here.
    Quickly I came up behind the half marathon runners. Well done to the organisers to closing the road as if not it would have been very difficult to get by. I had to call “Ultra runner coming through” many times but everyone was great. Everyone just got out of the way with they were many words of support and clapping. This was needed as legs were slowly getting more painful. I still continued with steady pace. 6 miles to go and I passed two work colleagues, had a chat and then seen fellow boardie Eurchid. He was having some foot trouble. He said I was in 4th or 5th and there were just two Ultras ahead of me, one I assumed was my FF. He also said the leader was flying and on coarse to break the record and was probably finished now. (I later learned he struggled very badly and finishied just over 10mins ahead of me and was literally carried over the line).
    Mile 34 was run under 06:50 but then I suffered a stitch in my side during mile 35. Thankfully I run through this. Just then I spot the 4th Ultra runner ahead. Great I say to myself and overtake him and an older dude with Ron Hill lettering on his back. Is this the great Ron Hill I’m overtaking?
    It took me a while to find my supplies at mile 35 at the start of the Hell of the West and I walk quickly and consume my sugars. I’m overtaken again and also by Ron Hill. and slip into 5th .
    I get going and over take both again. This mile is 9:00 minutes.
    Just one mile to go on this bloody climb and I decide to walk for another minute before I start back at my normal pace. 2 miles to go and I am flying again. I enjoy these last minutes as I can see the finish line now. My family and my little brother and sister cheer loudly as I go by.
    I truly enjoyed these moments and loved those final seconds as I crossed the finish line.
    Finish time 4:52. Position 4th.

Thanks especially to SUNGOD who I ran with for 19 miles that just flew by, and also my French friend. To all those fellow runners that gave great support to us Ultras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done abhiann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Fantastic performance, well done boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Fantastic race, and a great report to read, really gives you a feel for the journey of an ultra: very well done Abhainn.
    Abhainn wrote: »
    Mile 34 was run under 06:50
    :eek:
    I'm going to remember this for when I start to struggle in Rotterdam:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Wow, best thing I've read on here in a long time.

Congrats Abhainn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats Abhainn. Amazing performance. I can't believe I didn't stand out in my slick black clothing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done! I'm sure you passed me in the early stages of the marathon. I took some photos of some of the early ultras, so I'll stick 'em up in a while. Well done and a great account!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Well done and a great account!

+1, really enjoyed reading that.

Congrats Abhainn, incredible stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done! inspiring performance, incredible pace for an ultra and a great result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Savage running and great report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well done Abhainn fantastic running
    it was a pleasure to run with you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

congrats!! that some running. i'd be happy with that pace over 26.2!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

hi abhainn,

while this is my first post, i've been really enjoying reading yours and the other training logs and the connemara thread, so just wanted to say well done on the ultra yesterday.

also.......it was me you passed around 35miles.......thanks very much!;) you're right, i really was suffering at that stage :( there was no way i was going any faster up hotw!

all your training paid off - you paced the race really well. great race report also!

magnet - nice meeting you last night. you seemed fresh as a daisy, but i was in no fit state to dance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Magnet wrote: »
    Well Well Well 3rd place?!?! :eek:
    Abhainn wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Those results are provisional. I was told I finished 4th. I was talking to an irish dude who said he came 3rd in 4:46.

Did I read somewhere that the long time leader was carried over the line? If so, perhaps that explains the discrepancy, as someone carried over the line, or assisted in any way would surely have to be, unfortunately but fairly, recorded as a DNF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

That wasn't just impressive, that was absolutely savage. My hat goes off to you, sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Huge congrats Abhainn. Was cheering on all you marathoners from the sidelines! Saw the first couple of ultras through the finishing line so you must have been one of them! :)I'm in complete awe.....:D Amazing running!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A brilliant read and an inspiring run.

I was chuffed to read that my mate Aaron in Galway wasn't too far behind you. He finished in 6th, knocking 20 mins off his last Conn ultra time.

Respect to the ultra runners :eek:

jaymack75 wrote: »
    hi abhainn,

while this is my first post, i've been really enjoying reading yours and the other training logs and the connemara thread, so just wanted to say well done on the ultra yesterday.

also.......it was me you passed around 35miles.......thanks very much!;) you're right, i really was suffering at that stage :( there was no way i was going any faster up hotw!

all your training paid off - you paced the race really well. great race report also!

magnet - nice meeting you last night. you seemed fresh as a daisy, but i was in no fit state to dance :rolleyes:

Sorry mate. If you hadn't the yellow number on the back I would not have known you were so close. I didn't know you seen me passing you.
    Heh great running by you also. I was just happy to shake your hand as you finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Inspiring stuff there Sungod, and a great read. Well done on your race yesterday :) Having a good old read here to help get my mojo back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

i was running fairly even paced up to 26miles - got there in about 3:06 - then i found the last third got very tough and ended up doing it in 1:48. your pacing was excellent throughout.

i think the suffering is more especially as when you start going slower, it's longer between mile markers, which seems to make things worse.

great to meet u at the finish - sorry i wasn't really very talkative.......i just wanted to go and lie down somewhere;)

how's the legs today? mine are in bits! definitely a few easy days ahead

jaymack75 wrote: »
    i was running fairly even paced up to 26miles - got there in about 3:06 - then i found the last third got very tough and ended up doing it in 1:48. your pacing was excellent throughout.

i think the suffering is more especially as when you start going slower, it's longer between mile markers, which seems to make things worse.

great to meet u at the finish - sorry i wasn't really very talkative.......i just wanted to go and lie down somewhere;)

how's the legs today? mine are in bits! definitely a few easy days ahead

Hi jaymack, I didn't feel good coming to mile 35 but was I glad I left some jaffa cakes there and found them eventually. They had an almost immediate effect.
    I was tired yesterday and ached a bit. Today, just the top of my thighs are a little sore and I feel really good overall.
    Tomorrow I am in hospital to have surgery on my leg. I had it prearranged as its the best time to get it done. Hope to be back in jogging in 10 days or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

well done. Congrats on a great race.

Advertisement