Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connemara Ultra marathon.. ..sure why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Week ending: 22nd Feb

Summary: Better than expected
    It has been reported that beer is a good source of carbs. That's good as I loaded up on the stuff on Fri and Sat

Used friends Garmin 305 as my Polar is been serviced for runs Tues - Thurs.
    4 runs. Miles 34.6

Detail:

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 8.1 miles in 1:00:05. HR 132 (70%). Pace : 07:25 / mile.
    Took it easy after weekends exploits and legs fairly ok.

Wed – 10 miles in 1:13:45. HR 137 (73%). Pace 07:22 / mile.
    Not a bad run, joints a little sore at 8 miles.

Thurs - 8.1 miles in 54:33. HR 152 (81%). Pace 06:43 / mile.
    Tempo run goal sub 06:50 / mile pace.

Fri - 8.35 miles in 1:00:00. HR n/a. Pace 07:11 / mile.
    Managed to sneak this run in before wedding, with no one watching, though did it caught out just as I arrived back.
    Afterwards way too much beer, wine, champagne and food consumed. Up till 5.15am. Somehow did rehydate a bit

Sat – Rest and much carb loading (beer).

Sun - Rest. 5.5 hr round trip home. Mostly sitting in passenger seat. Wrecked

Last big week ahead. Will probably head out this evening for a few miles as well. Still feel delicate.
    Long runs Sat and Sun, probably a 22 and 22.

Well I was a total tool last night.
    Decided I need to get some miles in after the weekend and as I could n't do them a lunch. So thought I could kill two birds at the same time and take Charlie the retriever also on the run with his lead. He needed to get out also.

All going well till a few miles in, suddenly he got frightened at something swerved and knocked me over badly. The combination of been knocked down and him dragging me on the ground and resulted in some very attractive cuts on my hands and arms and very large and ugly graze on my knee. Hopefully they won'f get infected.

Oh got up immediately, and ran back the 3 miles I came! Didn't bother looking at injuries untill I got home.

Hopefully today's lunch time run will go ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Abhainn wrote: »

Oh got up immediately, and ran back the 3 miles I came! Didn't bother looking at injuries untill I got home, did warm down, stretched, took heart rate, uploaded Garmin, logged miles, laid out running clothes for next day, and then looked at injuries....

Eyes on the prize Abhainn:)

Week ending: 1st March

Summary: Clocked up most miles ever this week (by 8 over last).
    This was an unusual week though. No tempo run due to cuts and grazes after falling twice in two runs. But happy now all hard work is done. No HR recorded, as unit has not come back from its service yet

6 runs. Miles 74.5.

Detail:

Mon - 6.2 miles in around 47:15. Evening run with the dog on his lead. Never again. Explained story last week.
    Actually it was an enjoyable run apart from that incident

Tues – 7.1 miles in 50:45. Pace : 07:09 / mile. Bandaged up knee, did not fell too bad. Body felt a bit sore from fall last night especially my back. Not a bad session though.

Wed – 8.1 miles in 58:29. Pace 07:13 / mile.
    Legs a bit sore probably due to change in run style because of cuts. Run ok till ¼ mile from finish, then disaster. Stumbled on a pot hole edge and landed on my un- bandaged cuts again. Pain was agony for a while. I was determined to finish and did so.
    Imaging falling twice in 3 days!

Thurs - 8.1 miles in 59:00. Pace 07:17 / mile.
    Bandaged up knee, pulling on the wound but did not feel too bad. However it was a good relaxed run

Fri - Rest

Sat – 24 miles in 2:55:25. Pace: 07:18 / mile.
    This 24 miler a bit tougher than 2 weeks back especially on last final climb.

Sun - 21 miles in 2:35:30. Pace: 07:24 / mile.
    I can gain great confidence from this run. It was all pain pretty much all the way as perseverance and my thickness got me through.
    Slept in for once but great sleep all the same. Had to scoff brekkie down and then set off. The first 6 miles were really hard, joints ached and each mile completed was one of joy. Through half way average pace 07:33 / mile though this was mostly against the wind and more ups hills than down.
    Pain was constant all way back but as the gradient was in my favour, pace actually went up.

All this weeks miles were on roads. I could not keep this up for many more weeks.
    I am happy that the back to back long runs is over but hopefully they have set me up well for the big race. Some may say the pace was too quick on these runs but I always finished strong and never felt it was too quick.

Taper begins now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Abhainn wrote: »
    Sat – 24 miles in 2:55:25. Pace: 07:18 / mile.
    Sun - 20 miles in 2:35:30. Pace: 07:24 / mile.

Forrest Gump was a pussy.

Unreal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

You will smash 5 hours. Savage running at the weekend :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Brilliant running. You're all set up for a fantastic race.
    I'm going to get a Krusty Clown badge made up, and pin it to the back of my t-shirt, so that you can say hello as you pass me while I'm doing the marathon. :)

Brilliant running. You're all set up for a fantastic race.
    I'm going to get a Krusty Clown badge made up, and pin it to the back of my t-shirt, so that you can say hello as you pass me while I'm doing the marathon. :)

Great idea. Hopefully SUNGOD and myself will have a chat with yourself as we pass (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Well done 24/21 wow :eek:
    I guess the only place ill see you is at the start line!!
    I did the full in connemara yday nice and slow and I got a tad sunburnt in between the showers so here`s hoping for a sunny dry day..
    3 weeks to go...
    Magnet

• Advertisement

Week ending: 8h March. Taper week 1

5 runs. Miles 49.5

Detail:

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 6 miles in 44:43. Pace : 07:27 / mile.
    Legs felt surprisingly good after weekends high mileage. Just tried to enjoy the run.

Wed – 7.1 miles in 51:36. HR 140 (74%). Pace 07:16 / mile.
    Not too bad of a run. Legs a bit tired.

Thurs - 8.1 miles in 58:35. HR 140 (74%). Pace 07:13 / mile.
    Joints ached a bit in this run. Not too bad but legs are still feeling the affects on last weekend Id say.

Fri - Rest

Sat – 12 miles in 2:55:50. HR 150. (80%). Pace overall: 07:03 / mile.
    Combined easy and slow tempo session.
    6 miles easy at around 07:24 / mile then 6 at slow tempo around 06:45 /mile. Found the tempo miles harder than wished. Left calf then tightened up 2 miles from home. 06:41 / mile for tempo miles.
    Ice, anti flams the region then.

Sun – 16.3 miles in 1:59:48. HR 144. (77%) Pace: 07:21 / mile.
    Last longish run which would incorporate 2 tough climbs at mile 8 and 9. Wasn’t sure how calf would react to these miles.
    It was ok until 2 miles when it started tightening up. Didn't know how far I could go before I would have to retire (which I have never done in a session yet). So took it conservatively mile by mile. Ok miles 10 – 13 weren’t pain free but from there to finish was ok.

Happy to report that I seem to have achieved my target weight for the Ultra. Lost over 2 kg since DM (3kg since Berlin).
    I think another kg or two could be trimmed off though. The OH seems not to agree!

Taper week 2 will see milage reduce to mid 30's.
    Hopefully calf will respond to my treatment though it is sore today which is worrying me. Today is rest day and may also take tomorrow as one also.
    Am supposed to take part in an indoor tri on Sat. Got 2nd overall in this last year. But if this niggle hasn't cleared up and as I haven't swam any decent sessions since July I might have to miss this event.

How does the indoor Tri work? Pool, Bike? Treadmill? If you don't mind me asking what height and weight are you? Have you lost much in the last 12 months? What significant gains have you seen with weight loss being a factor?

MCOS wrote: »
    How does the indoor Tri work? Pool, Bike? Treadmill? ?

Yes MCOS. 750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run
    MCOS wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking what height and weight are you? Have you lost much in the last 12 months? What significant gains have you seen with weight loss being a factor?

Stats March 2009:
    Height = 175cm
    Weight 75kg

For Conn marathon last year I was 81kg, which was down from over 87kg on year previously when I started this running craic.
    So weight drop has been gradual.

In theory as long as losing weight does not take you to below your healthy weight, there can be an improvement in performance. I could afford to loose some weight. Im attributing my performance in the Dungarvan 10 mile a few weeks ago been partically down to loosing a few kgs.

Cool. I'd say based on your current level of fitness you will leave them all behind in the indoor Tri! Wow 2 stone in 2 years. I've dropped from 83 - 80kg on last check anyway. I'm 180cms. A small bit to lose methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Euchrid

Hey Abhainn,

Just catching up on your log now. Hope you have recovered from injuries, weddings etc. I'm very keen to see how you get on in the Ultra at this stage. I agree with whoever above said you will smash 5 hrs! We were about the same over a marathon at Berlin and Dublin and you have done what can only be described as savage training siince!

I'll be doing the full, but it won't be one of my better days! The way you are going, I expect to see you fly past while I wait for the start of the marathon! I'd be interested to hear what you are planning on hitting the half and full marathon points in!

Good luck for the last bit of tapering!

Well Euchrid I assume your just ticking over from Barcelona now and taking it easy for the onslaught of Connemara. You some man for punishment with 2 marathons in 3 weeks.

Yes will be going out to beat the 5hrs alright. For me there's no point in just getting round happy with finishing now.
    Preperation has gone great, without hitch (well apart from a few tumbles) so very happy with that side.
    Don't think I'll be flying by you at the start of the marthon at 6.52 pace though! Thinking of dividing race into 10 mile sections. Pace will be 7.30 / mile so that's 75mins / 10 mile or 1:38 a half. Don't want pace to be much quicker than that. So I think you'll beat me to the finish.
    Think my injury scare is ok now as a 6 miler yesterday went fine.
    And above all with fingers crossed there seems to be every chance that the weather will be good for Sunday week.
    See you at the finish or should we sneak in a couple of pints of the black stuff watching the game on Sat eve;)

If you hold that pace, I won't see you at the start - But I could well see you before the finish! That's pretty much exactly the pace I started the ultra at last year. I held it to 50km but struglled for a while then. I' sure you will hold it given the training you've done.

You'll get the double edged sword of the marathon runners at that pace - Thats what I found anyway. After the relative isolation of the first 21km, it's great when you start passing the back of the marathon crowd. You will feel like a legend as you will be moving a lot quicker then them. But you will pass 2/3 of the crowd and it does get a bit congested when you hit the bulk of them. But keep the head down and it will thin out quick enough.

One thing I'd recommend. They give you an 'Ultra' sign for your back. Wear it! I didn't bother last year, but I did notice that people tend to get the hell out of your way a lot quicker once they realise you are doing the Ultra.

Not sure about the pints on Saturday night! Might catch you for one in the Connemara Coast after though! Are you staying in town or out in Maam?

Thanks Euchrid for tips.
    During the full last I remember all too well the bad congestion at Lennane last year. The effort getting by the walkers up that hill eventually came to haunt me later in that race.

We are staying in Galway with my little sis.

I think the congestion won't be as bad for you this year. You probably hit Leenane in first 5 mins after the start of the half last year, you should be a bit later this year.

Me on the other hand... I'm seriously thinking of breaking my neck to get through Leenane in 1:27 just to avoid the half. I'm not fit enough for that though so I'll pay for it big time!

Anyway - Might see you in the pub on Sat night!! :-)

Good Luck!

• Advertisement

Week ending: 15th March. Taper week 2

5 runs (incl sprint triathlon). Miles 34.2
    Detail:

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 6 miles in 43:43. HR 136 (72%). Pace : 07:17 / mile.
    Well left calf still a little sore in morning. Been treating it with ice, massage and nuerfen since Sunday. Didn't know how far I'd get around but it felt good all way. Nice relaxed run

Wed – 8.1 miles in 58:15. HR 141 (75%). Pace 07:11 / mile.
    Feeling a bit tired (not a great nights sleep) during run, and because of that not too enjoyable. Calf ok

Thurs - 6 miles in 43:06. HR 140 (74%). Pace 07:11 / mile.
    Unfavourable strong breeze made it a bit difficult. Feeling abit tired though.

Evening - well first swim session since last July.
    Warm up 1 x 250.
    1 x 250 in 5:00
    1 x 1k in 21:15 - It felt inefficient.

Fri - Rest

Sat – Indoor triathlon.
    Completed in 1:07:30 which was a few mins quicker than last year
    740m swim in 14:20, 20k bike in 31:40 and 5k run in 18:35. Transitions went well.
    A satisfactory result and recovered very soon after. Could have gone harder though didn't want to pull something so close to next week. Though last 3k of run were done in 10:30.
    OH says I need to use my legs more during the swim.

Sun – 11 miles in 1:20. HR 138. (73%) Pace: 07:16 / mile.
    No tighteness from yesterday. Nice relaxed run.

An enforced day off work tomorrow (more cost cutting at work ). So there're will be relaxing with the little girl in the pool Id say

Great stuff Abhainn "a nice relaxed run.. 11 miles at 7'16/mile" :eek: and the indoor Tri seemed to go very well. In fairness decent swim considering the long layoff. Wicked bike split and the run off the bike was well... nimble to put it mildly! Your dedication to running and Ultra training has clearly given you a super fitness level and I suspect there is plenty of talent to unveil yet. Nice cross training session to keep the taper bareable. You are certainly one to watch, I have a feeling I'll be reading your future IM log with great jealousy ;)

Week ending: 22nd March. Taper week 3

3 runs. Miles 16.7
    Detail:

Mon - Rest.

Tues – 6.2 miles in 45:32. HR 137 (73%). Pace : 07:21 / mile.
    Nice St Patricks day outing.

Wed – 6 miles in 43:44. HR 138 (73%). Pace 07:17 / mile.
    Summer here?? Gorgeous today. Run fine.

Thurs – Rest

Fri – 4.5 miles with some strides in 33:00. HR 138 (73%). Pace 07:23 / mile.

Sat – Rest .

Sun – Yikes race day! 39.3 miles in ????

Best of luck Abhainn, every faith in your journey so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck on Sunday Abhainn. Cracking weather here in Galway at the moment. Hope it stays that way for you all on Sunday. Enjoy it - if you can enjoy an Ultra!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best of luck Abhainn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

see ya sunday Abhainn
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of Luck tomorrow Abhainn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Best of luck with it, you will have to go for a 100k next.

• Advertisement

Summary of the ultra training plan.

I loosely followed the Hal Higdon ultra marathon training plan for this event.
    After the efforts of the Berlin and DM’s I took 2 weeks off completely from running.
    Some people go straight back into running after marathons. I am of the philosophy of taking some time off to rest, having a few beers, eating unhealthily and then re focus for next challenge.
    This would hopefully let me avoid injury in the week and give the head a break also.

The training plan comprised of 20 weeks during our coldest winter in years .
    The first 7 weeks included 4 runs and one long bike ride. The weekend long run was steadily built up to just over 20 miles in this period.
    The 13 weeks up to the marathon was planned with 5 runs per week with Mon and Fri off. The mileage was planned to gradually build up to just over 60 miles per week. Weekends had back to back long runs which seemed like a daunting task “ How can I get in the frame of mind of running 23 miles on a Sat and then 17 on a Sunday?” I’m not sure how I got over this, it could possibly be the fact that I had a few step back weeks and a race in this period.
    It turned out that I had a few weeks of mid 60’s mileage and one of mid 70’s. A year ago these to achieve such distances was just a dream. The weekend long runs could not have gone any better. Ok the Sunday long run was never going to be easy but I was very satisfied that they were all completed in a steady pace without stopping and most importantly without incurring injury.
    Weekly intervals and or tempo runs were also included so keep my speed up.
    Finally I included two races in the phase to take my mind away from the training slog. A 5k on St Stephens Day in a PB of a little over 18min (mind you I did go well in excess on the alcohol over the holiday period which definitely slowed me somewhat) and the Dungarvan 10 miler in sub 62. This I ran on a step back week and was probably my best ever race from a performance and a racing point.

So in summary training plan went very well (apart from two tumbles). No sessions were dropped I can’t recall any session having been a real disappointment. So now I can’t offer that as an excuse if I perform poorly on Sunday! No pressure heh?

Advertisement