Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Eastern Bridge at the Riverside (mod warning, #137)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cranresident

dardevle wrote: »

carrying on this fight only at local level is exactly what was hoped for, to bring pressure to bear in order to railroad this bridge through.. when all the dust settles just remember that the government 'used' Cranmore to try to get a bridge built and no matter what spin is put on it...that's not a right and proper way to govern,local government did'nt sell you out,this fianna Fail led regime used you as a pawn.

i'm not going to comment any further on this except that when you say watch your back ..if you take a look around you and see who has aligned themselves with your cause-the fianna fail party-chamber of commerce and the county manager, then i can only give you one piece of advice...watch your back!
    And dont forget the majority of the Sligo people.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

And dont forget the majority of the Sligo people.

You do not have the mandate of the majority of the Sligo people the mandate lies with local representatives.

I am suprised that Cranmore residents are so easily duped on this issue it is an obvious attempt by the powers that be, and soon please God the powers that were, to force through a developer led agenda.

I am even more surprised that Cranmore residents are so happy to have their community regenerated at the expense of the degeneration of a neighbouring community. I had the pleasure to walk in that beautiful district during the recent glorious weather and noticed a good many houses for sale in an area where few previously came up and I was informed that many are long term residents unable to contemplate the impending destruction of their area. Now there is a good deal more could be said here, but I will refrain from doing so out of a sense of personal responsibility, perhaps other might share my example.

BTW the was earlier thread on this issue, perhaps they can be merged.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055432397&highlight=eastern

You do not have the mandate of the majority of the Sligo people the mandate lies with local representatives.

I am suprised that Cranmore residents are so easily duped on this issue it is an obvious attempt by the powers that be, and soon please God the powers that were, to force through a developer led agenda.

I am even more surprised that Cranmore residents are so happy to have their community regenerated at the expense of the degeneration of a neighbouring community. I had the pleasure to walk in that beautiful district during the recent glorious weather and noticed a good many houses for sale in an area where few previously came up and I was informed that many are long term residents unable to contemplate the impending destruction of their area. Now there is a good deal more could be said here, but I will refrain from doing so out of a sense of personal responsibility, perhaps other might share my example.
    I never claimed to have the mandate of the majority of the Sligo people

I am also surprised that Doorly park/Martin Savage residents are so happy to have our community degenerated to keep the status quo on your community.

As for been duped on this issue, facts are facts,
    · we submitted a draft framework plan to the department in 2006. The department came back early 2007 and told us we had to take wider area into consideration as the regen did not fit in with the County Development Plan and Spatial Strategy.

· In November 2007 the Borough Council Submitted a submission for funding from the Gateway Innovation Fund which clearly linked the bridge with Cranmore Regeneration. This was signed off by the 12 Borough Councillors.

· We did not link the bridge, we did not have the opportunity to have say in the GIF, we all had to rely on the local representatives for their input, as they do have the mandate of the people.

· The council called for submissions for the Draft plan in December 2008, in which they received 279 submissions in favour of the bridge. But 10 out of the 12 councillors chose to delete the bridge with out one single submission requesting to do so.

· We have lost over 70 families to Cranmore regeneration. Some who did not want to move, but were willing to do so for the greater good of the community. I met one women who did not want to leave Cranmore but is now well settled in her new home but is devastated that she was moved in vein. Remember we did not ask for regeneration, it was brought to us by the council and Cllr. Chris McManus was the one who proposed the project initially. And now they are throwing it away. You have no idea the hurt and betrayal the community feels. To bring hopes and dreams to a disadvantaged community who have suffered years of neglect by the council and then take away will have a devastating effect on our community.
    I could also say a lot more as a Sligo resident but I am just giving you the Cranmore perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

BTW the was earlier thread on this issue, perhaps they can be merged.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055432397&highlight=eastern

Thanks, threads are now merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I am even more surprised that Cranmore residents are so happy to have their community regenerated at the expense of the degeneration of a neighbouring community.

Ok, then are you saying that its either a case of Cranmore being regenerated at the expense and degeneration of the Doorly park area as opposed to Doorly park maintaining itself as is at the expense of the regeneration of Cranmore?

Ok, then are you saying that its either a case of Cranmore being regenerated at the expense and degeneration of the Doorly park area as opposed to Doorly park maintaining itself as is at the expense of the regeneration of Cranmore?

No I didn't say that you made a remark regarding us been willing to sacrifice your community for ours, I was merely pointing out the same could be said for you. There is a bigger picture here the development of Sligo, jobs for our children, access to the hospital etc this is not just about Cranmore and Doorly Park.

What im saying is we were put into this predicument by our councillors who have known since 2007 the projects were linked. They decided to sacrifice our community for yours as well as the rest of Sligo, We were abandend by the coucillors and its plain to see that, we asked them time and time again was our funding in jepordy and they denied it. We were been told by the Regen office it was, so we asked for the documentation to prove it as we did not believe our local representitives would do that to us. But they did, surely you can see that. We have spent housrs upon hours going through the documentation. It must be nice to have the support of the councillors, I wont comment any further but at the end of the day facts are facts, and I cant help wondering are you not annoyed at the councillors for signing off on the Gateway Inovation submission that clearly linked the two projects and if we had the councillors sign a pledge to our campaign do you really think they would be with you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 czarak

All the people of Sligo are waking up to the madness of the Councillors in rejecting this investment. It is vital for the whole of Sligo, not just Cranmore.

www.facebook.com/SligoEasternBridgeNow

This bridge has full planning approval from An Board Pleanala. It's clear from looking at an aerial map that there is no other location available for the bridge. Any devlopment within a town will dissadvantage some residents, this disruption has to be balanced against the needs of the town as a whole. By the Councillors logic we should expect them to be campaigning for the closure of the town's Inner relief road which was a vastly bigger disruption to communities it ran through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Some idiots have erected posters on the Hughes Bridge saying "You would be home by now if we had an Eastern Bridge" or words to that effect.

NO, I WOULD NOT! as I was heading North but I would have been well clear of Sligo if the Hughes Bridge had been properly designed.
    Driving into town the traffic on the inner lane usually stretches back to Horkans while the outer lane is empty apart from a handful of vehicles heading for the quays, and the queue-jumpers who race along, then force their way back into the inner lane at the last moment.

The people who gave us Hughes Bridge are the ones who will design an Eastern Bridge. Another hash in the making?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Essexboy wrote: »
    Some idiots have erected posters on the Hughes Bridge saying "You would be home by now if we had an Eastern Bridge" or words to that effect.

NO, I WOULD NOT! as I was heading North but I would have been well clear of Sligo if the Hughes Bridge had been properly designed.
    Driving into town the traffic on the inner lane usually stretches back to Horkans while the outer lane is empty apart from a handful of vehicles heading for the quays, and the queue-jumpers who race along, then force their way back into the inner lane at the last moment.

The people who gave us Hughes Bridge are the ones who will design an Eastern Bridge. Another hash in the making?

That is one thing that annoys me about that bridge, heading south, its not even properly sign posted that the left lane is for town/N4 and right lane for Ballest Quay only. I have made the mistake once that its a filter lane as aproaching the lights and then not being able to go straight on. I have also been on my bike, waiting at the top of the queue in the filter lane for the lights to turn green allowing me to turn right into Ballest Quay, and a driver behind me second in the queue, beeping who wanted to go straght on towards the N4, wouldn't have minded but you could have passed a truck between the two of us had the left lane been clear.

• Advertisement

No I didn't say that you made a remark regarding us been willing to sacrifice your community for ours, I was merely pointing out the same could be said for you. There is a bigger picture here the development of Sligo, jobs for our children, access to the hospital etc this is not just about Cranmore and Doorly Park.

What im saying is we were put into this predicument by our councillors who have known since 2007 the projects were linked. They decided to sacrifice our community for yours as well as the rest of Sligo, We were abandend by the coucillors and its plain to see that, we asked them time and time again was our funding in jepordy and they denied it. We were been told by the Regen office it was, so we asked for the documentation to prove it as we did not believe our local representitives would do that to us. But they did, surely you can see that. We have spent housrs upon hours going through the documentation. It must be nice to have the support of the councillors, I wont comment any further but at the end of the day facts are facts, and I cant help wondering are you not annoyed at the councillors for signing off on the Gateway Inovation submission that clearly linked the two projects and if we had the councillors sign a pledge to our campaign do you really think they would be with you now?

I wasn't commenting on you're post, I was referring to what Redarmyblues said. I agree with you cranresident.

irish-stew wrote: »
    That is one thing that annoys me about that bridge, heading south, its not even properly sign posted that the left lane is for town/N4 and right lane for Ballest Quay only. I have made the mistake once that its a filter lane as aproaching the lights and then not being able to go straight on. I have also been on my bike, waiting at the top of the queue in the filter lane for the lights to turn green allowing me to turn right into Ballest Quay, and a driver behind me second in the queue, beeping who wanted to go straght on towards the N4, wouldn't have minded but you could have passed a truck between the two of us had the left lane been clear.

There was this homemade attempt by Sligo Corporation to improve signage!
    100_0132.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Maybe its just me, or is anyone else feeling this? I am finding the coverage of this issue in the main local paper extremely one sided. Front page again over a march with 40 people. :confused::(
    Actually beginning to creep the life outa me- feel theres fierce emotive manipulation going on. Everyone believes that Cranmore should be funded for regeneration by central governement but should it be at any cost..... Should it be over the demise of another neighbourhood that may not be as well mobilised, lobby so well and be as well connected with the local media.

And thats not even mentioning the act of environmental vandalism that a bridge would cause imo.:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭locomo

tuppence wrote: »
    And thats not even mentioning the act of environmental vandalism that a bridge would cause imo.:(:(

Of course building a bridge at the Riverside , in such an area of natural beauty which inspired Yeats etc, would be a huge backward step and an act of environmental vandalism. It will never get built though, at least not in the next 5 or 10 years, because there is no money in the government coffers for it. What they should do, at relatively little cost or negligible cost, is reduce the footpath width on Hughes bridge, and have an extra lane of traffic there, and redo signage etc.

Maybe its just me, or is anyone else feeling this? I am finding the coverage of this issue in the main local paper extremely one sided. Front page again over a march with 40 people. :confused::(
    Actually beginning to creep the life outa me- feel theres fierce emotive manipulation going on. Everyone believes that Cranmore should be funded for regeneration by central governement but should it be at any cost..... Should it be over the demise of another neighbourhood that may not be as well mobilised, lobby so well and be as well connected with the local media.

The local rags have run little else but the Eastern Bridge articles the last few weeks, all non stories. The funny thing is that judging by post counts on here, people are far more concerned about the best local chipper.

The people who write the advertising cheques are writing the stories in the Chumpion and Weakender, but why, oh why are they so incredibly excercised by this issue, that they sullied their shiny loafers in the Abbeyquarter Community Centre, (I bet none of them were ever in Cranmore on foot before) when surely the most important local infrastructure story is the Colloney to Castlebaldwin N4, where the crosses by the roadside speak far more eloquently than all the CoC/FF ERC shill about what we require as a county.

The ERC and Cranmore regeneration linkage will die with the present government, that is before the summer comes, word also is that the County Managers contract is nearly up but will not be renewed. So if there is funds available CranRegen will then happen on its own merits and the Cranmore residents will think more carefully about who they accept, (and when I say accept I do not mean choose) as friends in the future.

Personal opinon, and dont know a huge amount on the topic, but I understand a huge amount of money has already been spent on this to date, and it was my understanding that money had been put aside to develop the area including the building of the bridge.

Unfortunatly Cranmore is in an isolated areas and all roads into it seem to be a bottle neck at the best of times, and unfortunatly the natural architecture of the area, the park and the garavouge makes it difficult for it to be developed and the access in and out of it. But yes, I think its needed both for the furture development of the area and the good of the town. Take the hospital and the IT, both also difficult areas to get to, this redelopment would surely also assist that side of the river and improve access there as well, and take the pressure of a congested releif road and Hughs bridge.

From my time living in Sligo the Co Council as far as the town is concerned are wasting money on ideas that go no where or are spent on roads that go no where, examples are O'Connell street, and the outer releif road at Kevinsfort, any time been on it I have been one of no more than two cars, and now the Eastern Bridge and Cranmore.

Really, and you firmly believe that building the eastern bridge is going to completely destroy the doorly park area? Thats preposterous.

Its called progress, and its an absolute disgrace that for a so called 'city' the only way to get northside from the southside is via two lanes on one bridge on one side of the town. If people are served with CPO's for their houses in doorly park, the majority of them will be delighted to get the money and be gone with it. Sure you can't please everyone, but that's life
    The local rags have run little else but the Eastern Bridge articles the last few weeks, all non stories. The funny thing is that judging by post counts on here, people are far more concerned about the best local chipper.
    That's a false comparison and you're not comparing like for like. The chipper thread is ongoing a lot longer than this one, and is about a completely different and lighthearted topic.
    The people who write the advertising cheques are writing the stories in the Chumpion and Weakender, but why, oh why are they so incredibly excercised by this issue, that they sullied their shiny loafers in the Abbeyquarter Community Centre, (I bet none of them were ever in Cranmore on foot before) when surely the most important local infrastructure story is the Colloney to Castlebaldwin N4, where the crosses by the roadside speak far more eloquently than all the CoC/FF ERC shill about what we require as a county.#
    What are you inferring about the abbeyquarter community center here? There are many issues facing this town and county, just because you prioritise one over another, doesn't mean everyone else should or does.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

red army I was there but not in my shiny loafers. i grew up on pearse road which when i was growing up was no mans land you wern't a townie and you wernt a buff. Since then I see most people saw pearse road as a well to do spot but it didn't really feel like that in the eighties. I was in cranmore many times and got a few slaps for my trouble from i think the storm was the gang at the time. I have family in laws living in cranmore whom I respect as well as any one else. I think you still see us living in robin hoods time with the rich and the poor and be careful who you choose as your friends ffs? there are plenty of assholes in cranmore and doorly park and martin savage terrace same as there are plenty of assholes on pearse road, rosses point etc but thank god most people in most places are good and want whats best for themselves, their children, and their town.
    the idea you seem to be pushing that cogs and wheels are turning and are being manipulated of course they are because a small group from a small area of the town have been given a written promise from the councillors that the bridge will not go through, theres your conspiracy red because in my stupidity I thought they would try and take in all opinions of the town and people that elected them before making a decision of no bridge here to suit a few people who will unfortunatly be majorly inconvienced.

Really, and you firmly believe that building the eastern bridge is going to completely destroy the doorly park area? Thats preposterous.

Its called progress, and its an absolute disgrace that for a so called 'city' the only way to get northside from the southside is via two lanes on one bridge on one side of the town. If people are served with CPO's for their houses in doorly park, the majority of them will be delighted to get the money and be gone with it. Sure you can't please everyone, but that's life

That's a false comparison and you're not comparing like for like. The chipper thread is ongoing a lot longer than this one, and is about a completely different and lighthearted topic.

What are you inferring about the abbeyquarter community center here? There are many issues facing this town and county, just because you prioritise one over another, doesn't mean everyone else should or does.

The EIS acknowledges that the scheme will cause major disruption to residents.

Its not called progress its called bad planning.

The people who brought you "the disgrace" you post about i.e. the disaster that is the Mid Block Route or Inner Relief Road, are the CoC and Sligo CoCo the same people. behind this project.

There are no CPO's for dwellings in Doorly Park/Martin Savage merely for front gardens.

The chip shop thread is much younger than this.

I was not inferring anything about Abbeyquarter C.C I was implying something vis a vis the Cashmere Coats from the CoC sudden fawning concern for Cranmore.

red army I was there but not in my shiny loafers. i grew up on pearse road which when i was growing up was no mans land you wern't a townie and you wernt a buff. Since then I see most people saw pearse road as a well to do spot but it didn't really feel like that in the eighties. I was in cranmore many times and got a few slaps for my trouble from i think the storm was the gang at the time. I have family in laws living in cranmore whom I respect as well as any one else. I think you still see us living in robin hoods time with the rich and the poor and be careful who you choose as your friends ffs? there are plenty of assholes in cranmore and doorly park and martin savage terrace same as there are plenty of assholes on pearse road, rosses point etc but thank god most people in most places are good and want whats best for themselves, their children, and their town.
    the idea you seem to be pushing that cogs and wheels are turning and are being manipulated of course they are because a small group from a small area of the town have been given a written promise from the councillors that the bridge will not go through, theres your conspiracy red because in my stupidity I thought they would try and take in all opinions of the town and people that elected them before making a decision of no bridge here to suit a few people who will unfortunatly be majorly inconvienced.

Please stay on topic and save the life history for your Autobiography, as far as i know nobody in Sligo elected you to represent it on this issue, your opinions are your own not those of Sligo, so please restrain from presenting them as such. I also suspect since you are a CoC job and as such live in Strandhill or Rosses Point that you don't even have a vote for SBC elections.

If I remember a small group from a small area of Sligo were successful in having the Western Bypass removed from the CDP, please explain why you and the CoC, Chumpion/ Weakender and the local branch of our degenerate ruling Party are not campaigning to have this very important plan reinstated, and while you are at it please explain why the MBR was built instead of a WBP in defiance of standard practice. Sligo is believed to be the only town in Europe to have opted to drive a National Primaty route through its Centre since the sixties.

• Advertisement

The EIS acknowledges that the scheme will cause major disruption to residents.
    Any construction work is going to cause disruption. Thats unavoidable. We had works done in our street a while ago to improve parking and it caused disruption whilst it was ongoing. Just a fact.

Have you moved on from demise to disruption now?
    The people who brought you "the disgrace" you post about i.e. the disaster that is the Mid Block Route or Inner Relief Road, are the CoC and Sligo CoCo the same people. behind this project.

I'm not talking about the inner relief road, or the mid block route. I'm talking about Hughes bridge being the only main bridge for access to the north.

The Council? The Councillors? They're a bunch of morons. They decide to proceed with the most ridiculous of plans that are conjured up and object to the ones that actually make sense. Go figure!

There are no CPO's for dwellings in Doorly Park/Martin Savage merely for front gardens.
    The chip shop thread is much younger than this.
    Big wop, its still not a like for like subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

red I have always stated I was in the coc on these boards. I was not in coc when the mbr was proposed and would have favoured a bypass. I live in oakfield so yes I have a sbc vote but does it matter? Are the people of drumcliffe or strandhill or rosses point or anywhere else not entitled to have an opinion on a major infastructural piece for sligo simply because they are not in the borough?
    the only thoughts I can offer on why the wbp is not being as strongly contetsed is because the money is not allocated for it, the planning process has not being gone through with where as the bridge has gone to the highest planning authority in the land and the money is there for it to begin but Sligo cant get its act together and get it through so like the cranmore money this will probably go to some other town.

You are right you were always up front about being a member of the CoC, so in Fairness I must admit I am from the West ward though work in the East, I campaigned against the MBR and I am still in the trenches over that. I still remain in principle opposed to driving roads through resdential areas. To my discredit I was slightly in favour of the WDR, which now that the folly is seen of chewing up a park and a residential area to no apparent purpose, I repent entirely of.

Maybe the yes lobby are right, though I remain unconvinced that building an Eastern River Crossing is vital to "progress" in Sligo, even if you are right does it have to be that exact design with that exact conformation. As I understand it the CoCo had only one meeting with residents 3 or 4 years ago and that after the meeting sentiment was much in favour of a bridge but no particular site was agreed. It was not until the insensitivity of the Councils plans became apparent that attitudes hardened. If the CoCo had spent a fraction on the amount expended so far on consultation they would have at least, a bridge at the planning stage.

In terms of the planning I believe that under new the fast track planning only once has the deciding body or An Bord Pleannala found against an application (and that was for guess what? a mid block route) in Athy whereby it was ruled against because it would not function either as a Bypass or a street., sound familiar?

I forgot to add, no funds could be available for a WBP because it never got beyond the design stage, it was removed (I believe that after extensive consultation between residents and the CoCo) because the residents sucessfully lobbied Coucilllors to remove the WBP from the CDP.

The people who write the advertising cheques are writing the stories in the Chumpion and Weakender, but why, oh why are they so incredibly excercised by this issue, that they sullied their shiny loafers in the Abbeyquarter Community Centre, (") when surely the most important local infrastructure story is the Colloney to Castlebaldwin N4, where the crosses by the roadside speak far more eloquently than all the CoC/FF ERC shill about what we require as a county.

The ERC and Cranmore regeneration linkage will die with the present government, that is before the summer comes, word also is that the County Managers contract is nearly up but will not be renewed. So if there is funds available CranRegen will then happen on its own merits and the Cranmore residents will think more carefully about who they accept, (and when I say accept I do not mean choose) as friends in the future.

We certainly will be careful, and we wont be choosing those councillors who told us that our funding was not in jepordy if the bridge was deleted from the plan on three different occasions, and what funding have we lost €6million. We will continue to research and read all documentation carefully. As for your comment regarding "I bet none of them were ever in Cranmore on foot before", it is evident you support the division of the classes but thank god not all are as suspicious as you. Why would a working class community and business community want to join forces, TO SAVE SLIGO!

I wasn't commenting on you're post, I was referring to what Redarmyblues said. I agree with you cranresident.

Sorry, that was meant for redarmyblues.

We certainly will be careful, and we wont be choosing those councillors who told us that our funding was not in jepordy if the bridge was deleted from the plan on three different occasions, and what funding have we lost €6million. We will continue to research and read all documentation carefully. As for your comment regarding "I bet none of them were ever in Cranmore on foot before", it is evident you support the division of the classes but thank god not all are as suspicious as you. Why would a working class community and business community want to join forces, TO SAVE SLIGO!

Your not joining forces to save Sligo, you are engaged in an alliance of expedience.

As I understand it Cranmore Regen is meant to remedy bad planning decisions made in the past and I think everyone in Sligo will agree that the problems in Cranmore are in no way the fault of its residents. The Gort bypass opened today,€209m, 22KM dual carraigeway through open country that will carry 8,000 cars a day, while in comparison the Eastern Bridge is meant (according to the EIS) to carry 20,000 cars a day on single carriageway through residential areas, this can hardly be called good planning either.

Your attitude to this project is either hypocritical or despicable depending on whether you have bothered to think it out or not.

Your not joining forces to save Sligo, you are engaged in an alliance of expedience.

As I understand it Cranmore Regen is meant to remedy bad planning decisions made in the past and I think everyone in Sligo will agree that the problems in Cranmore are in no way the fault of its residents.

You're missing the point here. Cranmore residents were told before voting that they were in full support of the regeneration, and the eastern bridge. I heard the interviews myself on Ocean FM. The only person I can recall that was against it was Jarlath Rogers, who lets face it only got about 50 votes.

Now that everyone got their votes and are happily re-elected minds suddenly were changed and the residents of Cranmore were left in the Shit over it, after being blatantly lied to.

As I understand it Cranmore Regen is meant to remedy bad planning decisions made in the past and I think everyone in Sligo will agree that the problems in Cranmore are in no way the fault of its residents. The Gort bypass opened today,€209m, 22KM dual carraigeway through open country that will carry 8,000 cars a day, while in comparison the Eastern Bridge is meant (according to the EIS) to carry 20,000 cars a day on single carriageway through residential areas, this can hardly be called good planning either.

Your attitude to this project is either hypocritical or despicable depending on whether you have bothered to think it out or not.

So why remove the bridge from the plan, and not look for a tonnage, downgrade of the bridge, re-design of approach roads. If the problem is not the bridge itself but the approach road then why not work on that instead of removing the bridge from the plan that has been there for 37 years. Is removing a vital piece of infrastructure from the development plan to solve one problem (indirectly), and causing lasting problems to the rest of Sligo good planning? The problem is not with the bridge its with the approach roads so where is the campaign for this? One small community get there way to the expense of the rest of Sligo. Its not me that has not thought the thing out?

Interesting article in todays Indo, looks like the gloves could be off as far as the regeneration money is concerned.

Article.

• Advertisement

the plan that has been there for 37 years

Is not that part of the problem? A plan drawn up in a different era is not the plan for today's Sligo. This is how we got the awful Hughes Bridge: a plan devised in the 1960s and railroaded through to suit a handful of people.

Advertisement