Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Swap

Options
  • 01-12-2008 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,
    Anyone know if a website exists where people can swap cars?

I've a 06 RAV 4 and was offered 13K on a trade in, so that's not an option.

I know I'd have to be very lucky to find someone who'd want to trade at the same time but fingers crossed and all that.

I'm looking for a Ford S-MAX 06 - 07.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Never heard of a specific website :confused: But people do offer people cars while trying to get new cars off carzone, carbuyersguide etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

here's one

http://www.cartrades.ie/

Not that much activity on it but hopefully will get more popular...its a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Try out Adverts.ie . A lot of people there are open to trades, although haven't seen an S-Max there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd be very weary of this kind of thing... what if you swap and end up with a lemon!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

What if you go to a dealer and hand over 10k of your hard earned, and get a lemon.

The same approach should be taken in a swap as in a car purchase/tradein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Great thread, I was going to start one about swapping my car a couple of weeks ago but thought all you petrol heads would laugh at me!!:)

Its a great idea and the risk is the same as if you were buying for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

I think it is a great idea. Goes back to the olden days of bartering. A lot of difficulties trying to get people on both sides to agree that the worth of their individual cars are the similar. I intend approaching someone this evening who is trying to sell a car that I would like. I only hope he feels the same way about mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DM2008

Thanks for the replies lads. I reckon you'd have to be very lucky to find someone who wanted your car and had the car you wanted but stranger things have happened.
    Most people selling a car at the minute will have to take a big hit in the asking price to shift it. This swap thing could take off if things get any worse!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

scaldybelt wrote: »
    What if you go to a dealer and hand over 10k of your hard earned, and get a lemon.

The same approach should be taken in a swap as in a car purchase/tradein.
    because at least you have a warranty... they legally have to give 3 months I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Think this is an excellent idea. There are people out there who may have lost juobs or overborrowed for their cars. They might welcome the opportunity to get some cash and an older vehicle in exchange. Like someone already said 'its still buyer beware and common sense approach'
    Getting 7 or 8 grand and a car 3 years older would be far better than looking at your car in the driveway and on carzone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

steve06 wrote: »
    because at least you have a warranty... they legally have to give 3 months I think it is.

Warranty in reality only applies to dealers/garages. You would have the same issue trying to hold a private seller to the 3 month engine & gearbox warranty whetehr you paid cash or swapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I just don't think enough people know about this website, otherwise I think it would be a great success

I've looked on there but found nobody wanting an Alfa GT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cartrades

Hi guys, thanks for the positive notes on our website. To be honest the site in its current version was only ever a pilot to trial the idea and get some feedback. We all know how many competitors to the normal car sales online site there are out there and we wanted to try and tackle the whole thing from a different angle and try to come with something a bit different.

We have got good feedback from the pilot so far, but as you point out we don't have enough visitors yet to really get it moving. We hope to have the next version of the site live in a couple of weeks with some associative advertising/promotion, there was no point spending money on that till we saw what people think.

I think in the current market people need to adapt their thinking in terms of selling/trading their car and thats what were trying to achieve.

Please feel free to comment or PM any thoughts/ideas/criticisms :o to me and we'll take them on board. Ultimately it'd be great to have some competition to the established sites out there, and we think ours offers something different (and it don't cost you anything either!)

Please spread the word if you can, as Lex Luthor says, if we had more people then it will take off....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 patm1

Hey all,im willing to Swap/sell my 99 1.6 volkswagen passat.

They are making 4000 on carzone but im willing to sell for 2700 ono as i need to get a smaller car.,also their is 9 months nct and only 80000 miles.any swap will be considered cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

patm1 wrote: »
    Hey all,im willing to Swap/sell my 99 1.6 volkswagen passat.

They are making 4000 on carzone but im willing to sell for 2700 ono as i need to get a smaller car.,also their is 9 months nct and only 80000 miles.any swap will be considered cheers

the is a reason those cars are still on carzone at the 4000 price! I mean jaysus!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I love this "they are making 4 grand", they're asking 4 grand, there's a HUGE difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone who is willing to pay €4k for a 10 year old 1.6 Passat needs their head examined.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    Anyone who is willing to pay €2k for a 10 year old 1.6 Passat needs their head examined.

Fixed it for you free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I put my car on here yesterday. Very few others using it so spread the word.

http://www.carswap.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

this really is a top idea - hope it catches on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Barr wrote: »
    this really is a top idea - hope it catches on

I'm still not convinced about this whole thing. If I was swapping my car with some one, I'd much rather sell it to them for €1,000 and then buy their car for €1,000. I'd hate to not exchange money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

I'm still not convinced about this whole thing. If I was swapping my car with some one, I'd much rather sell it to them for €1,000 and then buy their car for €1,000. I'd hate to not exchange money.

Cant see the difference myself. I think it would be more usefull for people looking to trade up without the hassle of trying to shift their own car first. Theres plenty of people out there looking to downgrade at the moment which means in theory it should work.

Dealers are offering a pittance as they know they have the upper hand, so a lot of money could be saved by swap deals. I have been trying to see 2 private cars for a year now without any joy even though my cars are amongst the cheapest on the net. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I think its a great idea providing enough people hear about it, as already said Dealers are offering pittance cause they're shifting damn all.

It cuts out the middleman, all parties should get a better deal assuming of course the usual checks are carried out to make sure any swap is running ok. As with any private sale. Of course no warranty but that applied to any private sale/purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

http://clss.carswap.ie/item/1595352241

Its the first time I've seen a Laguna with an ironing board spoiler.

Only serviced at the bst garages ? Advance pitstop?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Stekelly wrote: »
    Only serviced at the bst garages ? Advance pitstop?:)

LMFAO:D

Swaps are great way to do business. I recently swapped my car valued at €14k for one with the same value. The dealers wanted to give me €8k for my car so the swap was a godsend. I sold via CBG with swap details in my ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I recently swapped my car valued at €14k for one with the same value. The dealers wanted to give me €8k for my car so the swap was a godsend

Exactly why I think it's a great idea. Similarly valued stuff exchanged without handing over cash to a dealer so he can make money on your car afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Em, did nobody think that €13,000 was a good shout for a 3 year old Rav 4? The cheapest on the web at the minute is €13,900, and thats for a petrol model.

Add a few quid to service and valet the car, and a margin, and the dealer doesnt really have a saleable car.

I thought it was a decent figure for it anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Stekelly wrote: »
    Its the first time I've seen a Laguna with an ironing board spoiler.

Should be a big hit in Skangernavia.

Advertisement