Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Louis Theroux Documentaries

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

That show as shocking as it was, just confirmed what South Africans have told me about the place before they left. Afraid to wear jewelery as they'd get their fingers cut off for it!! and constantly in fear of being car jacked or mugged.

They said people going to the World Cup are going to be in for one huge surprise:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

After watching that you realise how sharp J.G Ballard was when he wrote High Rise nerly 40 years ago. :eek:

The "community" wanting to burn people is a terrifying idea. A very strange, warped place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

It was certainly a pretty shocking documentary series. I think Theroux did a real good job actually.

The Philly show was a real eye-opener.I know every City has their rough areas, but this seemed extreme for a 1st world city. Having seen a lot New York for example there was nowhere seemed to be on that same level of madness. We were planning on taking a trip up to Philly from Washington next summer but I don't think I'll bother after that.

As for Jo'burg...think I'll hang on for the 2014 World cup thanks!
    That fella he interviewed who shot the cops to sell on their guns and putting kids in ovens was so shocking. How he manages to continue to walk the streets over there is unbelieveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    As for Jo'burg...think I'll hang on for the 2014 World cup thanks!
    I'd guess that the shantytowns of Rio and Sao Paulo are every bit as dangerous as those we saw in Jo'Burg. :pac:

Super documentary by Louis this time, 10 times better than the Philadelphia effort.

I'd have liked to see a little bit of context though - the documentary showed us a lawless hellhole, but there seemed to be a fully functioning city somewhere in the background, with shiny office blocks, nightclubs and restaurants. And it wasn't clear what percentage of the city is a normal metropolis and what percentage is the hellhole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

I just think that he would make a great husband is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gevil

Thats a good point what you say there, I'm from Joburg as well enjoying the life in Dublin and while Hillbrow and Diepsloot are total pits the area of Hillbrow barely represents more than 8-10% of the CBD. It's pretty much a nogo area, you don't really have an equivalent in Ireland, thankfully, but to put it in perspective think Summerhill in Dublin or that spot in Limerick where people tend to get bullets, it's not the whole city but rather a part thereof. SA has a fantastic economy with world class infrastructure, check out my favourite pic of Joburg to get perspective, hillbrow is on the far far right.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/5163552-lg.jpg

Here are live webcams to the 2010 stadiums all over SA

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=634069

P.S If you are going to SA to follow Ireland or on holiday , stick to the Cape. It hasn't been touched by the ANC as they can't gain a foothold there and is therefore properly governed, policed and tidy.

I'd guess that the shantytowns of Rio and Sao Paulo are every bit as dangerous as those we saw in Jo'Burg. :pac:

Super documentary by Louis this time, 10 times better than the Philadelphia effort.

I'd have liked to see a little bit of context though - the documentary showed us a lawless hellhole, but there seemed to be a fully functioning city somewhere in the background, with shiny office blocks, nightclubs and restaurants. And it wasn't clear what percentage of the city is a normal metropolis and what percentage is the hellhole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They showed an old one last night where he investigated people in Beverly Hills who get cosmetic surgery. He ended the doc by getting lyposuction done on himself. Nutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

Behind Bars is on BBC2 at 11.20 tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008qjh0

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigman II wrote: »
    They showed an old one last night where he investigated people in Beverly Hills who get cosmetic surgery. He ended the doc by getting lyposuction done on himself. Nutter!
    Yeah I remembering watching that at the time and was quite shocked he got it done. Gonzo to the extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

dubmick wrote: »
    Behind Bars is on BBC2 at 11.20 tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008qjh0
    tis online if you can't wait

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uCT-E4H_8Yw

Advertisement