Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Louis Theroux Documentaries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭RadioGaGa

The piece at the start was hilarious where the guy kept denying he had the gun til he was told they had it all on camera and he just grinned.

I couldn't stop laughing at that guy. Such a childish grin.
    Anyway, it was a pretty good documentary. Philly looks like a right kip and I have a mate who's heading there soon so I'll hope he steers clear of the crack houses. The next one is on on Sunday so I'll give it a look, THeroux is the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The documentary was enjoyable enough, but not hugely different to countless other documentaries or Cops/BadBoys style shows.

Theroux didn't add anything to it - he never got anyone to really open up (for good reasons mentioned earlier).

I thought from his point of view it was his poorest effort yet and paled when compared to his Weird Weekend stuff which is getting repeated on Dave on Sunday nights.
    Quite funny though that possession of a replica weapon seemed merely to merit a clip around the ear and a 'meh, we'll maybe follow it up' from the Philly cops - over here I think its a 6-year-mandatory offence and a page of The Star.

A minor point. I only watched the repeat on BBC2 last night which was 70 minutes long whereas it was 60 minutes when originally shown last Sunday.
    I obviously don't what was 'extra' last night, though there was definitely bits that could have been culled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Depressing viewing.

I've seen some of the most deprived slums in Brazil and they're not that lacking in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Thought it was a good show. In fairness there is very little you can do in being similar to Cops if the objective of the documentary is to be a ride along/ask questions as you go type format.

Looking forward to the Joburg show tomorrow as I lived there for 12 odd years. It'll be strange to see the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I didnt think it was one of Theroux's better efforts.
    It was too dumbed down and drawn out.
    He was asking too many rhetorical and silly questions .
    He also looked ridiculous going around with a bulletproof jacket outside his coat as if he was in a war zone.

• Advertisement

Well that show was a bit scary.

I actually used to live in Hillbrow where they showed entire buildings being evicted.

Felt a bit like Ross Kemp on Gangs at times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well, that's me not going to the World Cup in Johannesburg anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

feck..when are these repeated lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

what is this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭allybhoy

*Not sure if this shud be in tv so mods feel free to move*
    Just watched Law and Disorder in Johannesburg, Anyone see it? Feck me that place is some hole, Ive worked with a few South Africans who have told me some horror stories and ive read about the neck-lacing etc that goes on but the place really looks like hell on earth, almost as bad as Moyross! Anyone ever been to Jo'berg? Please regale us with your stories if you have...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

way worse place than anywhere ross kemps been anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Have to agree - some very scary stuff in the programme - definitely would put me off visiting Jo'berg

I have heard of police turning a blind eye to vigilantes but this is just unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Wow.. the place is insane.

Gather up all the normal people and nuke the rest, start over.

Sweeno wrote: »
    way worse place than anywhere ross kemps been anyway
    Yeh he's a lot more brave/naive/stupid than Ross Kemp. I couldnt believe the questions he was asking some of the criminals and vigilante's. And when he went into the illegally occupied building it was clear the lads from Bad Boyz didnt want to be there they were very edgy, yet he kept pushing them to go further. I was like "eh Louis, I dont think they're lying to you, get the feck out!"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

pretty messed up place, makes the philadephia show he did last week look pretty tame

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

anyone know if it's being repeated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

RTE defo need to do a doc on this place. I suggest sending Colm and Jim Jim in to investigate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

allybhoy wrote: »
    *Not sure if this shud be in tv so mods feel free to move*
    Just watched Law and Disorder in Johannesburg, Anyone see it? Feck me that place is some hole, Ive worked with a few South Africans who have told me some horror stories and ive read about the neck-lacing etc that goes on but the place really looks like hell on earth, almost as bad as Moyross! Anyone ever been to Jo'berg? Please regale us with your stories if you have...

The oul' lad was at a business conference there about 10/12 years ago. The hotel he was staying in was 4 blocks from the conference centre, and he walked back after the first day (typical Irish abroad, ah sure it can't be that bad) - the hotel doorman nearly shit himself when he saw him coming, he couldn't believe he hadn't been mugged in the 4 blocks... there were 4 American guys there and their company hired armed bodyguards for them, and they were still held up and robbed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Lovely holiday spot. I hear about this necklacing, are those local trinkets that tourists can buy? I best go to that shanty town and procure one!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

When he went into that building I was just waiting for someone to jump out and shoot the smug c**t in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Zzippy wrote: »
    The oul' lad was at a business conference there about 10/12 years ago. The hotel he was staying in was 4 blocks from the conference centre, and he walked back after the first day (typical Irish abroad, ah sure it can't be that bad) - the hotel doorman nearly shit himself when he saw him coming, he couldn't believe he hadn't been mugged in the 4 blocks... there were 4 American guys there and their company hired armed bodyguards for them, and they were still held up and robbed...
    Maybe the muggers were busy holdin up the 4 american lads. Must have looked a hell of a lot more inportant with their bodyguards!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Floyd

I saw it tonight on BBC2, shocking stuff, and this is the place hosting the next World Cup, the criminals must be licking their lips. One guy in particular was scary, goin on how he would threaten someone by putting their child in an oven, burning people to death seems to be very popular as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

missed it :( Should be on joot00b soon though. Last week's is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Dave! wrote: »
    missed it :( Should be on joot00b soon though. Last week's is.

Cheers for the heads up.

When he went into that building I was just waiting for someone to jump out and shoot the smug c**t in the face.

Ah i wouldnt say he's exactly smug, disingenuous and possibly manipulative maybe but not smug. He does try and take the high and mighty route with some people he talks to but I think thats actually to his credit by asking the kind of questions he does. Either way he has bigger balls than most similar investigative journalist's and his shows do make good viewing unlike the shoite on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Last night's show was quite shocking really but it was more like the documentaries that he used to make, in the sense that you got a bit of an insight into the minds of the people involved, rather than last week's show where it was just like an episode of Cops. Shocking but compelling stuff.

It'd make me think twice about going to the World Cup if Ireland qualify for 2010.

connundrum wrote: »
    Well that show was a bit scary.

I actually used to live in Hillbrow where they showed entire buildings being evicted.
    What was the deal with those areas before they became slums? Where they affluent areas? And were they mainly white areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged...

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What was the deal with those areas before they became slums? Where they affluent areas? And were they mainly white areas?

We stayed there for about 6 -8 months back in 1984 thanks to Telcom South Africa. Hillbrow was a stopping ground for a lot of foreign workers and was decent enough like - I suppose you'd compare it to the likes of Phibsboro.

We went back for a holiday in 2003 and actually went into Joburg city centre for a gander.

Tips: You lock all car doors while you're driving. You avoid stopping at traffic lights and stop signs at all costs. You do not get out and walk around regardless of how you 'want to get a real sense of South Africa'.

Johannesburg city centre is a real experience of hell, and by chance it is actually located in South Africa. Go visit the Drakensburg Mountains, or Kruger National Park, or The Wine Route for an experience of what South Africa has to offer.

As an aside, I found it strange that Theroux had his bullet proof jacket on him for nearly 100% of the time in Philly, but only had it on for one or two segments in JHB. I would suggest that the reverse should be advised!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

connundrum wrote: »
    We stayed there for about 6 -8 months back in 1984 thanks to Telcom South Africa. Hillbrow was a stopping ground for a lot of foreign workers and was decent enough like - I suppose you'd compare it to the likes of Phibsboro.

We went back for a holiday in 2003 and actually went into Joburg city centre for a gander.

Tips: You lock all car doors while you're driving. You avoid stopping at traffic lights and stop signs at all costs. You do not get out and walk around regardless of how you 'want to get a real sense of South Africa'.

Johannesburg city centre is a real experience of hell, and by chance it is actually located in South Africa. Go visit the Drakensburg Mountains, or Kruger National Park, or The Wine Route for an experience of what South Africa has to offer.
    Thanks but I wasn't asking for travel tips! ;):D

I was just curious as to what the place was like before it got to the stage of whole buildings being hijacked. I know a few people that have been to South Africa in recent years but obviously not to the places shown last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

i use to live in Joburg

BaZmO* answer to your question yes it was a very much affluent white area manily young population, many nite clubs bars restaurants,
    It was the humb of the city or dare say the country in 70's 80's till early 90's when the black / white secretions was open up for the blacks to live in a white area, put unfortunately the white population moved out to more an upmarket areas Sandton, Rivonia (northern suburbs of Joburg)

it was sad to see what has become of what was a vibrate, fashionable city, but im sure we only got to see half what actually went on. Actaully not even half,

The township Diepkllof (sp) is not to far from Joburg international airport

Advertisement