Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The English Times insists its called Bombay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

stovelid wrote: »
    :)

People get the horn more for native names when the country has a colonial history. Otherwise, nada. I'm assuming everyone here is going to henceforth start referring to our country as Eire, and not Ireland. And Deutschland instead of Germany; Espana instead of Spain, etc.
    I do. I think they sound funnier.

How come Deutschland uses land in it's name, is there no German Deutsch for land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ScumLord wrote: »

I prefer Reich for chuckles from my German mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ScumLord wrote: »

How come Deutschland uses land in it's name, is there no German Deutsch for land?
    Cause theyre just that fupping crazy:pac::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

stovelid wrote: »
    :)

People get the horn more for native names when the country has a colonial history. Otherwise, nada. I'm assuming everyone here is going to henceforth start referring to our country as Eire, and not Ireland. And Deutschland instead of Germany; Espana instead of Spain, etc.

Not quite the same thing. When India officially changed the name to Mumbai, they did this because they wanted to break with what they saw as a non-Hindi name associated with colonialism.

Thus to make a point of using Bombay on The Times part is obviously some sort of "stance" on this issue. It's interesting that all of the other English papers, inclusing The Telegraph & Mail, which perhaps you might think less likely, are using Mumbai.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that I should point out to all of the teachers here that Westminster is not Westminister. Will you please stop putting in that extra "i". Thank you.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

watching the coverage on sky news yesterday some of the indian correspondants from local tv news channels referred to it as bombay as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sure some people still say Dingle but it's Dingle/Daingean Uí Chúis.

Get with the times people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

seamus wrote: »
    The Brits have a habit of this. Bangkok is still called so by almost everyone in the English-speaking world despite not being in existence any more.

I didn't realise the protests had got that bad :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Seamus wrote:
    The Brits have a habit of this. Bangkok is still called so by almost everyone in the English-speaking world despite not being in existence any more.
    Thats because i'm really too lazy to answer the question "where in Thailand were you?" with "....Krung Thep Maha Nakhon."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

well judging by the thread about silly Irish place names, when we did leave it to you, you completely fecked the whole thing up.

Anyway, I'm off to my home in Kingstown, county Black Pool. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Krung Thep Maha Nakhon.

If the furrenors want us to change the way we prounce their cities in English they need shorter, more sensible names.

Maybe we should have a poll on what want to call bangkok. then we can inform the Thai authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

I climbed ayres rock once. Thinking of going back to give Uluru a go.

But seriously, i have a better idea when somebody says bombay or bangkok, because thats what they've been called for ages.

And the whole dingle thing is silly. If it means that much to you by all means, stop using the english given names of your counties.

If you did i'd be screwed cos im not really irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I firmly believe in East Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

asdasd wrote: »
    If the furrenors want us to change the way we prounce their cities in English they need shorter, more sensible names.

Maybe we should have a poll on what want to call bangkok. then we can inform the Thai authorities.
    I think its shortened to Krung Thep most of the time.

Black Pool.

And thats dubly confusing, isnt it. BlackPool (Dubh Linn) is transliterated back into english as Dublin, and the translation back into Irish is Baile Ath Cliath, Town of the Hurdled Ford. So which is it?

No wonder The Times of England is confused.

Krung Thep

It just doesnt roll of the tongue like bangkok.

i think Bang yer kok is far more descriptive of the plce TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Rupert Murdoch.
    Is anyone really surprised at anything this loon does?

the translation back into Irish is Baile Ath Cliath, Town of the Hurdled Ford. So which is it?

I would have thought a Mondeo rather than a focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

And thats dubly confusing, isnt it. BlackPool (Dubh Linn) is transliterated back into english as Dublin, and the translation back into Irish is Baile Ath Cliath, Town of the Hurdled Ford. So which is it?

No wonder The Times of England is confused.

Could it be that irish is a makey uppy language that they copied from LOTR?

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    Rupert Murdoch.

Or the Anti-Christ as he's now known since his name change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 underflowers

Sure half the Indian peeps being interviewed on the telly are calling it Bombay. Too much PC me thinks.

Rupert Murdoch.

I'd be surprised if he ran around the place naked except for a nappy shouting "Anabelle, Anabelle! I love you". That would be very surprising.

Sure half the Indian peeps being interviewed on the telly are calling it Bombay. Too much PC me thinks.

Perhaps they called it Mumbai so that the terrorists wouldn't know where it was, and have now changed it back to Bombay because the secret has been blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I'd be surprised if he ran around the place naked except for a nappy shouting "Anabelle, Anabelle! I love you". That would be very surprising.
    True.Only because Anabelles a bitch though

You obviously never attended the News Corporation 2007 Christmas piss-up. :eek:

Perhaps they called it Mumbai so that the terrorists wouldn't know where it was

ah, that's whats called security through obscurity. A proven failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And yet we also get mad when they call us Eire.

Blame the stamp!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

The original ford/area was called Áth Cliath, the town which grew around that was/is called Baile Átha Cliath, when the Vikings arrived in Baile Áth Cliath they called their area Duibhlinn.
    This Duibhlinn was anglicised Dublin by the English.

• Advertisement

when the Vikings arrived in Baile Áth Cliath they called their area Duibhlinn.

they used Irish? There are clearly viking names around Dublin - Howth for instance but that doesnt ring true.

Advertisement