Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moves banned by WWE ?

Options
  • 28-11-2008 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Have WWE a written rule for moves that aren't allowed ?
    I think someone was fired a few years ago for using a 450 splash and you don't see too many piledrivers anymore. Any thoughts here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

A few years ago the ruling was handed down to the then cruiser weights that 450 splashes and shooting star presses were band. Thats when I stopped watching smackdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

A few years ago the ruling was handed down to the then cruiser weights that 450 splashes and shooting star presses were band. Thats when I stopped watching smackdown

Around July 2005 I believe it was, when Juventud Guerrera botched the 450, hitting Paul London in the face with his leg.

juvi-london.jpg
    (Not the best picture, but you get the idea with the way Juvi's body is angled)

After that the 450 and SSP were banned...although they have been used since, Evan Bourne being an example. Don't think it is a written rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Is the riskyness of high flying moves one of the reasons there's no active cruiserweight division on the WWE ? Or is just that Vince still sees them as comedy and only likes to give time to muscle guys ? They was the odd good light heavyweight match back in the auld Attitude days with Taka Michawhateverhisnameis :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭Degag

For one, Piledrivers have been banned for quite a number of years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Taker's the only one left allowed to use the Piledriver, probably because of what Owen did to Austin. One other one I can think of is Hurricane's vertebreaker was banned which took quite a bit away from his offence and of Punk's 3 finishers, the Pepsi Plunge and anaconda vice are both banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I remember reading that a certain type of clothesline was banned before?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Have WWE a written rule for moves that aren't allowed ?

It wasnt a written rule.

Add spinebusters to the list.

In fairness to WWE a lot people were coming down with neck injures they made the right move.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Taker's the only one left allowed to use the Piledriver, probably because of what Owen did to Austin. One other one I can think of is Hurricane's vertebreaker was banned which took quite a bit away from his offence and of Punk's 3 finishers, the Pepsi Plunge and anaconda vice are both banned

I think Kane is allowed to use it sparingly too, and Lawler is allowed to use it for the once in five years he gets in the ring.

The Vertebraeker was as good as instantly banned the second Helms got a full time contract with WWE, although he has used it on a couple of occasions in 2001 and 2002, most notibly the week of Metal programming against AJ Styles, i think it was after the Royal Rumble in 02. I don't think he's actually used it since though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If you carefully watch Undertaker performing the tombstone piledriver in recent years, you'll see that the recipient's head doesn't usually make direct contact with the mat. He usually dropped himself onto his knees and lets his opponent fall flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

why ban the anaconda vice?

• Advertisement

why ban the anaconda vice?

Thats not banned

Ah ok, was just asking based on Bubs101's post
    of Punk's 3 finishers, the Pepsi Plunge and anaconda vice are both banned

Either Meltzer of Bryan said in a really recent podcast that Punk needed to find a secondary finisher because the WWE wouldn't let him do the Anaconda Vice anymore

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The Pepsi Plunge was probably banned as there's a lot that could go wrong. Either that or it looks like a cooler version of the Pedigree...and we wouldn't want that on WWE programming, now would we :P

The Anaconda Vice is not banned afaik, and it's a shame he doesn't use it...cool submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Taker's the only one left allowed to use the Piledriver, probably because of what Owen did to Austin.

D'Lo Brown played a very big role in getting that move banned as well:(

Either Meltzer of Bryan said in a really recent podcast that Punk needed to find a secondary finisher because the WWE wouldn't let him do the Anaconda Vice anymore

Yeah because it looked ****e to them as they hate MMA. It wasnt banned merely WWE just want Punk to use another finish.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    D'Lo Brown played a very big role in getting that move banned as well:(

I think that was a running powerbomb.

rovert wrote: »
    Yeah because it looked ****e to them as they hate MMA. It wasnt banned merely WWE just want Punk to use another finish.

But then what about the Gogoplata or is it just a case of Vince constantly changing his mind and it coming at a bad time for Punk but not for Taker

But then what about the Gogoplata or is it just a case of Vince constantly changing his mind and it coming at a bad time for Punk but not for Taker

Undertaker is Undertaker, WWE is still resistant to the move outside of the ring commentators arent allow call it the Gogoplata, WWE publication are supposed to name it that.

Have they given a reason as to why it is that the undertakers shoulders on the mat aren't counted when he's applying that hold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think that was a running powerbomb.

Wiki backs you up cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

The pepsi plunge is just not a good finsher. Punk obviously cant do it bigger guys and it's not the type of finisher you can pull out of no where. Thats why the stunner is the perfect finisher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Good for sponsorship deals though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Undertaker is Undertaker, WWE is still resistant to the move outside of the ring commentators arent allow call it the Gogoplata, WWE publication are supposed to name it that.

Did i hear them call it the Triangle of Death on WWE TV recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

D-FENS wrote: »
    Did i hear them call it the Triangle of Death on WWE TV recently?

No you didn't you may have heard them call it The Devil's Triangle though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Can I just chip in and say that as a lurker its threads like this that make this forum so good. Its great to read stuff by posters who know their business.

You may now continue.

:D

Add spinebusters to the list.

When did this happen? Have'nt noticed HHH use one lately now that you mention it, last one i remember off hand was Batista beating Khali with one for the belt last year.

EdK wrote: »
    No you didn't you may have heard them call it The Devil's Triangle though

Ah yes that was it

Are you sure the spinebuster is banned? I thought i saw Batista use one on in the triple threat on Monday? I could understand the brainbuster being banned but i thought the spinebuster was a relatively "safe" move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

did i see a female compediter use a version of the canidian distroyer on raw last night think it was melana

Advertisement